FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

and? this is an old story. Codemaster can use the word "sequel", i don't see any problem, they use the name operation flashpoint, so than OFP:DR can be called "sequel", even if they don't use the same engine. :)

No they cant, thats what "the express right to create sequels" means. Legally speaking, ALL cm can do is create a game with the words "Operation Flashpoint" in the title. Why is that so hard for people to understand?!?!?! :banghead:

Because they don't even try to.

These are the kind of people who probably think that Amazon consists of a big, fat guy with millions of arms, sitting in a warehouse and shipping articles. :rolleyes:

and? this is an old story. Codemaster can use the word "sequel", i don't see any problem, they use the name operation flashpoint, so than OFP:DR can be called "sequel", even if they don't use the same engine. :)

Wrong.

tenchars

Because they don't even try to.

These are the kind of people who probably think that Amazon consists of a big, fat guy with millions of arms, sitting in a warehouse and shipping articles. :rolleyes:

What? Isnt that how it is?

You destroyed my illusion... next you tell em that Santa Claus doesnt exist :eek:

Seriously, this last video looked lot better than what i have seen before, the guy commenting said lot of stupid stuff that was the only thing that put me a bit off.

In the end i think OFP2 will serve me as a good snack till Operation Arrowhead.

Both A2 and OFP2 seem to become good but very different games, one for those who want it hardcore and can live with flaws and one game for those who want a lighter game with less bugs.

Main difference is i will play A2 still in next years while i probaly will have OFP2 on the shelf with dust on it.

In that last video he said it had "his favorite" weapon....a Bazooka?

I thought this is suppose to be a war in the future?

some info about the COOP 'tether'

10-09-2009, 10:31 AM #10

Helios

Community Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all you will receive a warning that you are about to exit the tether zone, if you don't heed the warning and then continue out of the zone you will be killed.

Ian 'Helios' Webster

Community Manager

I wonder if it's possible to disable it? It's a pretty stupid feature tbh... if the game is really that realistic, people splitting up on their own would be suicide anyway.

In that last video he said it had "his favorite" weapon....a Bazooka?

I thought this is suppose to be a war in the future?

They need it to rocket jump, duh :p

On a hardware forum I freqeuent I am getting both ridiculed and angry by the response of other posters to OFP : DR - the latest describing Arma2 as "utter balls" with crap physics ("the walls just fall over when hit by tanks" etc), pretty graphics but still the buggy Arma1 engine which crashes all the time, and so on. Another poster who went back and played warfare and raved about it was ignored, as were my comments that I can't remember the last time it crashed and the mods (ie actual changes to the game, not setting waypoints lol) were making for some cool Arma2 firefights.

So, being an objective sort I have started a bit of reading on the CM forums and elsewhere - fools comparing the original Arma2 demo to a few 3 minute sequences of an unreleased game and believing DR will be the dogs danglies. Talk about an ego trip lol. What I read is that there are some major differences (lack of comprehensive MP/jip, no info on real modding) but even some small but I believe important differences such as no walking, and no leaning. No leaning ? Some CM forum members were actually arguing that leaning is not realistic, and simply sidestepping around a corner exposes less target for an enemy. And they see the falling of walls in Arma as a problem. Perhaps someone with military experience can confirm, but all the logic and media I have seen indicates leaning around corners to be a pretty important action in (urban) combat ?

I have gone back a few pages but is there a list of features of the two games anywhere ? I am not trying to bash another game, but simply put some objective feature comparison as I am annoyed anyone reading the forums would see a lot of crap being spouted and be drawn towards the wrong game for them. CM are aiming to lure COD and BF2 players away, but those favouring the game so far seem to be using Arma2 as a target.

Last night I took two AI fireteams and a medic on the first random secondary mission to destroy a radio tower in a Domination variant on the server I play on. We flew out in a UH-60 piloted by me, and successfully tabbed to the target, took out the unsurgent and special forces guards and blew the tower. We lost our medic to a spetznaz sniper hiding in the grass nearby. I sent an AI off to collect the heli which he did, bringing it back and successfully landing in the clearing selected. Almost all the commands were issued verbally using Pilflus, and we flew back to base and disembarked to defend the base from a small attack, but a nearby patrolling M1A Tusk got there first and finished it. It took an hour overall as the firefight with the guards was extended when they tried to flank us. It is this sort of flexible experience I do not expect to see in DR from what I read, so as per the earlier poster I will prob buy it for the experience but continue with Arma2.

I'll get back in my box now I've had my medication.

cjph

(lack of comprehensive MP/jip, no info on real modding)

Wait, that would be several steps back, JIP is necessity these days especially if you are targeting the console audience.. Well I hope they at least add a server browser, this whole "match" system on some xbox360 games is hardly desireable.

CM forum members were actually arguing that leaning is not realistic, and simply sidestepping around a corner exposes less target for an enemy
sidestepping around a corner exposes less target for an enemy
exposes less target for an enemy
exposes less

:391: No no surely they can't be serious, just no.

The falling wall aspect is sort of real, I've seen a video of a humvee bash through a brick wall to make way for soldiers.

I imagine a tank would have no trouble if a humvee can do it, since a damage model could add some problems they just go with the next best solution, sure its not prettiest but it works.

I'm not yet sure about going for the experience after what I've heard and seen so far..a FLIR that is pretty much a "detect all" vision (heat of vehicles and infantry but none of surrounding terrain), nothing about helicopter or armor weapon systems, flight model etc.

We haven't seen any of those deployable defences (sure we've seen the Javelin but not deploying) and vehicle animations outside of that quick demo some time back...

For all that yack about military realistic, having talked to the operators and been around the vehicles I'm hoping they will have something to show for it.

The falling wall aspect is sort of real, I've seen a video of a humvee bash through a brick wall to make way for soldiers.

I think their issue is that the effect is not accompanied by any eye candy (wall turning into millions of bricks that scratch the Humvee's paint as they roll over it).

What? Isnt that how it is?

You destroyed my illusion... next you tell em that Santa Claus doesnt exist :eek:

Seriously, this last video looked lot better than what i have seen before, the guy commenting said lot of stupid stuff that was the only thing that put me a bit off.

In the end i think OFP2 will serve me as a good snack till Operation Arrowhead.

Both A2 and OFP2 seem to become good but very different games, one for those who want it hardcore and can live with flaws and one game for those who want a lighter game with less bugs.

Main difference is i will play A2 still in next years while i probaly will have OFP2 on the shelf with dust on it.

I would hope that OFP:DR can turn up into something better then GRAW, but then I just dont think they can reach the level what BI is trying to do(with not so great but understandable result)

P.S. AND NO! I dont think many people here really wish OFP to be change in terms of play style and others, what we want is BI to keep working on the engine to make it harder, better, faster and stronger.

Edited by 4 IN 1

We haven't seen any of those deployable defences (sure we've seen the Javelin but not deploying) and vehicle animations outside of that quick demo some time back...

No, we saw The Queen Bee, the Bazooka.

I have gone back a few pages but is there a list of features of the two games anywhere ? I am not trying to bash another game, but simply put some objective feature comparison as I am annoyed anyone reading the forums would see a lot of crap being spouted and be drawn towards the wrong game for them. CM are aiming to lure COD and BF2 players away, but those favouring the game so far seem to be using Arma2 as a target.

It just so happens that here was a list like this made a while ago posted on the Codemasters forums. Some of the info was wrong, so I went through and fixed it up a bit. If I can find it again then I'll post it.

EDIT: Found it

"OFP will have a view distance of 35 km - ARM don't know TBA"

In the first Arma, I have the view distance up to about 5500, though the unit isn't listed. Arma II will probably be the same or increased.

"OFP Island 220 square KM - ARMA peninsula 225 square KM"

I think this is correct. Arma II will have a 225 KM squared map, though I'm not certain if that includes the sea. Here is a quote from the official 'Facts and Figures' PDF:

"225 square k • m of real world terrain data

covered by 235.929,600 pixels of the actual

satellite imagery"

"OFP 1 large town and a few villages - ARMA 50 citys/towns/villages"

Well, over 50, but mentioning that is just being picky.

"OFP has scripted destruction - ARMA has dynamic destruction"

Wrong, Arma will have scripted destruction.

"OFP no civilian population or wildlife - ARM has Dynamic civilians/wildlife"

True, though I'm not sure how the civilians work. It could simply be a script, or the mission maker will have to add all the civilians through the editor, (if you've played the first Arma you'll understand what I mean). By the way, there are eight different types of animals, and rumor is that you can even play as them using the editor.

"OFP has ability to set up the weather - ARMA has dynamic weather it can changes form location to location"

I'm not too sure what you mean by dynamic weather or having it change from location to location. In Arma you could just set the present and future weather, but maybe more precise effects with triggers.

"OFP has real day and night cycles - ARM has real day and night cycles"

True

"OFP will have one airport - ARMA will have one but also a functional aircraft carrier."

Define "functional". If you're commenting on the carrier from the video, it won't be controllable. It's just another object like a building, though it would probably be large enough to land aircraft on. The last I've heard says that Arma II will not support standing on moving objects.

"OFP will have US, Chinese, possibly russians - ARMA will have US, Russian, pro west forces, pro east forces, guerrilla forces, civilian forces."

I don't know if this is right or wrong.

"OFP will have 70 weapons/50 vehicles - ARMA will 73 weapons/167 vehicles"

The Arma II 'Facts and Figures' PDF says that there will be 81 weapon variants and 136 different vehicle variants.

"OFP will not have flyable planes - ARMA will have flyable planes"

It's true that Arma II will have flyable planes.

"OFP will not have ground artillery - ARMA - will have and moveable"

I haven't read anything saying that Arma will have moveable artillery, at least not that I can recall.

"OFP AI will react to your actions and strategy - ARMA reports the same but also featurres advanced micro AI"

I wouldn't start comparing the AI until we can see good videos of both. Yes, Arma II does have Micro AI, but fancy wording doesn't mean it's going to be good.

"OFP - N/A - ARMA ability to take POW"

I know the AI will have moral in Arma II, but I'm not sure if there will be POW. It will be possible through scripting though.

"OFP - TBA for healing teammates - ARMA ability to drag teammates out of danger and heal them or bring them to a medical center for aid."

In Arma II you will be able to drag and carry teammates out of danger, as well as heal them.

"OFP none - ARMA ability to switch from unit to unit in single player maps"

True, though personally I'm not a big fan of switching units in Arma. I hope they don't use this as an excuse to slack off on the AI.

"OFP PC 16 vs 16 with AI (player vs player) - ARMA 50+"

Probably true.

"OFP xbox 4 vs 4 with AI (player vs player) - ARMA TBA"

Arma II hasn't been confirmed on any specific console yet, though it will probably be the Xbox360.

"OFP pc coop 8 (story mode) - ARMA 5 all members of razor team"

Arma II will have co-op.

"OFP xbox coop 2 (story mode) - ARMA 5 all members of razor team "

Arma II hasn't been confirmed on any specific console yet, though it will probably be the Xbox360.

Link: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4782766&postcount=72

There is more to the quote than I posted so check out the link. I made references to other posts in the topic so it might be best if you start from the beginning. The list has not been edited in some time, so some of the info might be incorrect, or misleading (ex. speculation on something that's since been confirmed.)

Edited by Praelium
Found it

Cheers Praelium - what I was looking for. although some points are clearer now, on both side. Might be worth a re-hash once DR hits the streets.

cjph

The future tense and guesswork about Arma2 in that comparison out of date, since the game has been out for several months. ;)

Let's see if I can clear the Arma2 facts up:

View distance: 10km (though beyond 3-5km causes major FPS drops)

Building destruction: pre-defined sections, non-dynamic

Civilians / wildlife: FSM-based dynamic AI

Weather: Dynamic and fully scriptable, location-based is possible

Airports: Multiple on Chernarus, one on Utes and static but otherwise usable aircraft carrier

Artillery: Moveable, fully functional, multiple variants including MLRS and mortars

AI: Not the greatest, occasionally dumb but getting better

Taking POWs: Enemies may give up

MP players: 100+ in my own experience

XBox360 version: Still officially unconfirmed, though there is evidence that it is (or was) being developed

Coop mode: 4 players, fifth member of Razor is AI controlled

You can make the VD up to 10km but the problem is that somehow enemy only appears 3 to 3.5km and sometime disappear 300m away, which is a bug

Cough this is an OFPDR discussion thread Cough* ..

In terms of view distance, I dont think its necessary to have an overly optimistic View distance, as this is afterall an infantry simulator, where your view distance will be obscured by undulations and features of the landscape, I dont think its necessary losing performance over getting the possibility of a decent view to take a picture of. And as far as arma is concerned its very unlikely to have fully rendered model detail at distances of over 3Km.

Are you able to pilot helicopters in the game?

Unless something has drastically changed you are.

Are you able to pilot helicopters in the game?

not in coop tho, becuase if you do, and go more than 275m from your squad mates you drop down dead :)

They have a 'tether' in place for coop mode, so you get a warning when going more than 275 from your squad leader, continue and you die.

At the moment, no dedicated servers files will ship with the game (bad luck PC users) and 'Join in Progress' isn't going to happen.

Southy

Edited by Eble

That no-JIP news is so profoundly awful I honestly still don't believe it. This game could bridge the gulf between COD4 and ARMA but it'll die a quick death (in the PC world at least) if players have to sit around a lobby for 10 minutes waiting for a game.

Without JIP in coop, I guess this game will be "friends only" coop game (over Hamachi or such, or locked server on the net), because on public servers it would be a hassle....

Edited by Kernriver

While I agree that JIP is an extremely good feature, you must remember that the lack of it wasn't much of a problem with the original OFP. You'd just look up a server that was just setting up, or better yet do something productive while having OFPLauncher or similar watch your favourite server for mission change.

Edited by Fincuan

:391: No no surely they can't be serious, just no.

The thing that I think really summed it up was a poll that was released around the time the 'DLC' fiasco was announced as to whether or not mods were important for the game. The majority vote went to 'no'.