FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Look my post and then see the Dwarden's post.

I posted my opinion and then the mocking starts.

I fail to see the mocking, I see a question asking what points made OFP2 look better than ArmA2. It was you that started the "mocking" with the next post - fanboys.

Make it bold you think its better or more convising?

Bold is to highlight the key points.

Lets spare this thread any further argument, its just not viable to do so until the topic is satiated with more media with which to form a proper opinion of the game.

why don't you just wait for the demos?

each one of you will be able to have a real opinion with the demos :)

btw: ofp2 will have the ability to have mods? really important for me

I dont give a damn If you believe my case or not.

I just posted my opinion and then the BIS bodyguards (if you bored of fanboys)

attacked me as I said something bad.Can anyone here have his opinion?

You know there are positive and negative opinions.

If you dont like negative ones pass over them.

If you think that you are being attacked when valid arguments are being discussed, it tells more about you than about the others.

Obviously, there is an ArmA 2 bias on those forums. So you can expect counter arguments.

There is nothing fanboy about these arguments as far as I can tell, some of them are even against ArmA 2.

As for my arguments, I have yet to see a preview where mr Lindop or any of the CM crew isn't presented.

I'd say wait for both games to be released.

Yes, demos will be the build of the game that the devs wish to put in the players hands (hopefully) before the game is set loose.

From the press statements I've read, they intend to have modding flexibility, dont know what tools they'll provide for dedicated modders. Hopefully someone has a decent zombie mod in the works!

Yes.There is already a project about OFP2

http://combatsimproject.proboards.com/

Ive seen bad screens from BIS, i have not really seen bad screens from Cm because they all came from CM.

After looking at all the recent Arma2 screens, i notice a considerable difference in them compared to the so called ingame screens BIS provided. And they say they didnt touch em up at all, i call BS since nobody outside of BIS making screens seems to put up screens of same quality.

The OFP2 ingame movies we have seen are quite bad, i'll ad mit that. They are blurry, stiff animations and everything. The only thing i liked was the sounds and a few other moments. Not that weve had much to go by. The movies we have been given are of a really old build and bad quality.

Looking forward to a really high quality good ingame promo trailer of the game.

I know it will be fantastic, but at CM they sure like to not release much info =(.

Good thing they say they are working on some movies for us and are going to put up a real website soon. Should be good.

Arma2 ppl def need to work on the UI though, can you BIS bodyguards even tell me honestly that you like it?

After looking at all the recent Arma2 screens, i notice a considerable difference in them compared to the so called ingame screens BIS provided. And they say they didnt touch em up at all, i call BS since nobody outside of BIS making screens seems to put up screens of same quality.
We don't edit our screenshots.

BI are just a little more choosy of the screenshots they put out. The same way CM does. Logical really.

Pretty sure we can count on BIS releasing photos of in game material, and then posting them in the fashion from which they were conceived. This goes on multiple statements by the devs who probably took said screens, but I guess we cant trust them, I mean, they actually talk to and inform the community (I know bad sign rite?!!?).

And since you're so intent to bait flames with remarks such as "you BIS bodyguards", it reduces the credibility of each and every keystroke you commit to your posts, which are gaining a seriously negative track record.

Since you guys insist on comparing graphics. I have yet to see any brilliant bump, normal, or parallax mapping that is able to contend with ArmA. Come on, am I the only one who has seen the game with high settings, and since I know my vision is fortuitously intact (and bitchin I might add) am I just completely mistaken that ArmA is in fact not the beautiful game I play everyday? Or just some trashy excuse for a wanna-be simulator? And if something is wrong with my sensory reporting (namely vision) then it could very well be that ever screen of OFP that I've seen, and determined to be in-game (which is the best I'll hope for since there is no reason not to believe they werent touched up afterwards, they all need it) might have looked good 3 or 4 years ago.

I think the former, since I have yet to find a game with the scale of ArmA available that looks as nice (which again is damn nice, a bloody achievement in my biased fanboy bodyguard close minded opinion).

As for the UI, such aspects dont really effect my opinion as it can be edited to accommodate your taste, or removed (possibly).

RUN CITIZENS, THAT IS NOT AMY AS YOU KNEW HER WHEN SHE WAS ALIVE!!! I had wondered about that picture, maybe its a subplot to help a civie with an abusive domineering husband, the rewards being a more open friendliness from the Chernerussian women.

Since I'm certain someone is planning a zombie mod for ArmA 2, I was casting my gaze upon a possible DR mod. One can always hope.

And since you're so intent to bait flames with remarks such as "you BIS bodyguards", it reduces the credibility of each and every keystroke you commit to your posts, which are gaining a seriously negative track record.

Totally agreed and also I just don't get why are so many people sucking on the graphics (and comparing it) when OFP was NEVER really about this.

can you BIS bodyguards even tell me honestly that you like it?

Nice attidute....

Edited by Salvatore_Lee

This is a basic problem with DR. Since it harbors the name of a classic, which evolved into the ArmA series, it stands to alienate many of the players who looked forward to this as the true next OFP. And of course there are those who are informed, and know ArmA as BIS's own attempt at a sequel, who were also unsatisfied with it, and now look at DR for contentment. As it is, I don't see anything coming closer to the feel of OFP than ArmA 2, and if its just too old and worn out for you, then maybe what CM has cooking is just what you needed!

Be that as it may, from what I've gathered, and believe me I have scrutinized each bit of info I could find almost as heavily as the info for ArmA 2, and the culmination leads me to believe that DR will be slightly to not more realistic than other formula FPS's out there. Yes, I know, there will be a giant map, which is great, even if the gameplay turns out to be arcade, its a step in the right direction.

But seriously, I cant see the dropping of civ's, jets, wildlife, in combination with the addition of some of the HUD items like the compass, and a completely still aim while moving forward at a brisk pace (that one is killer, to be able to hit accurately while moving I presume would require you to move slowly).

And like someone else mentioned, almost every piece of coverage is closely associated with Clive, who has lost any credibility I might have anticipated. This is just more reason to believe that they were very close to the editing process of these publications.

I'm sorry for ranting, its just frustrating, and truly alienating. I think this is what BIS wanted to avoid by making a big deal about some of the early publications claiming CM's alleged involvement with the classic OFP.

Dial down the rhetoric a smidge please guys, yes we know there's pro and anti game/dev in here, no need to get all hot under the collar, it's just a game military simulator ;)

I was walking past my local City EB shop (Adelaide, South Australia 23/04/09)went inside to see whats up.

Sitting on the 'coming soon' Playstation 3 shelf was the OFP-DR box in all it's glory.

Had a good look at it, it's stands out quite nicley amongst all the other boxes.

One thing that caught my attentation straight was when reading the back of the box it clearly said 'Mission editor', now keep in mind this was on the PS3 box not the PC one(which I didn't even check to see if they had in shop).

I know I will get shouts of, lies! no picture no proof etc.

I'm not lying it said that exactly on the box.

below is the quote from the back of the box, that also appears on the Australia Atari page.

•Freedom of Play – Operation Flashpoint 2 will give players the freedom to handle military crisis situations on their initiative. Unscripted missions will task players with real objectives, such as laying down covering fire, covering a friendly unit’s retreat or conducting short-range recon patrol. Armed with cutting edge military hardware, players will need to balance brute force with intelligent use of tactics. Once players have completed the campaign, a Mission Editor enables gamers to create their own single player and multiplayer missions

Atari Australia PS3 page.

http://www.atari.com.au/games/overview.do?id=1469

It could just be that is the general overview and maybe the PS3 box was printed with generic information, or maybe it does mean the editor is back in?

Southy

Edited by Eble

That is interesting, already reserved shelf space. It may be that they have decided to return the mission editor to console versions. Or it may also be considered that they use the same descriptions cross console, in which case they would need to rectify that statement if the editor is to be left out.

Ok, it seems the mission editor is confirmed as not being on the console, so Atari Australia need to change the box art sharpish!

Helios - Sorry to disappoint, but the exact release date for the game is undetermined and the console versions of the game do not have a mission editor.

Those arma2 images you posted are all at medium settings (especially the NV one, which i think is even lower).

If you looked at some of dysexics (sp) in game screen shots I'm sure you'd change your mind on what looks better.

And I would also have to agree with one of the other guys that in some instances, Arma1 looks better then the above OFP DR screens.

Some people really need to play it on max settings I think :|

But the graphics aren't the be-all-and-end-all of the game. Whatever has the most realistic gameplay (hopefully with proper javelin optics :386:) will ultimately win.

And lol at 35km view distance.

Yes, I do need more. Everything that you posted there, Ptolemaios, apart from the soldiers and view distance, is graphics related. Even if DR had good graphics, to me, a long-time OFP/ArmA fan, graphics do not make a good game. OFP taught me that. I do not agree with the statement that ArmA II looks better than Crysis, and neither do I think it has to. DR toting it's graphics is actually alienating me as the footage shown so far of actual gameplay is sparse and hardly impressive. And by the way, 35km view distance is possible in ArmA. Place a trigger with "setViewDistance 35000" and when it's activated, you'll be at 35km view distance. Though the game's obviously not optimized for it.

CM: Good idea to contend on the gfx side of the issue

http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-dslyecxi_i_venom_underside_2.jpg

http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-dslyecxi_tip_rollovers.jpg

http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-dslyecxi_i_harrier_on_station.jpg

http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-dslyecxi_i_venom_touchdown.jpg

Lets compare apples to apples while we await a demo/more media info.... To be mean I could say something like 'Lets post urban images next. But that would be unfair..' (and yes I know I posted it, but there was no harmful intention behind the posting)

These games will obviously both have really good graphics so can we get over this. Its not like they are trying to have next gen graphics.

I can find cod4 pics that look better than ofp2 and arma2.

i always have a problem OFP:DR screenshot as the noise and the brownish filter just makes me think that CM have watched Band of Brothers too many times

Dial down the rhetoric a smidge please guys, yes we know there's pro and anti game/dev in here, no need to get all hot under the collar, it's just a game military simulator ;)

Now if youre into mystical stuff like the quest for the Grail and other such things, you need to examine this post closer! Because therein hides the answer to it all. Now anyone looking for something that resembles a SIM, should know that BIS have and are developing software to the Military.(yes that is in real life as to speak), now Im not saying anything, but dont you all agree that a company in this position have a slight advance...in...well... making a military sim for computers!

Im not turning down CM or their "sim" yet but im just saying. CM is definitive in an inferior position and maybe they have a hidden card up their sleeve but so far what have been presented its all ARMAII for the win!

:cool:

I can find cod4 pics that look better than ofp2 and arma2.

You obviously don't know anything about system resource allocation do you?

Cod4 the map sizes were what? A 100 square feet? lol! You can make any graphical masterpiece with those conditions.

You obviously don't know anything about system resource allocation do you?

Cod4 the map sizes were what? A 100 square feet? lol! You can make any graphical masterpiece with those conditions.

I think Call of Duty 4 actually looks pretty crappy considering it's size.