FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Probably true in the current climate of gaming media. Anyone know of a website that links to multiple in-depth, unbiased amateur reviews of games?

You might want to try Amazon and similar sites. But not all consumers are unbiased and you have to find ways to decide which source and whose opinion you can trust. This is what I often do:

If I am too lazy to google for a game-specific forum I usually just read the customer reviews at Amazon. Beside the reviews in text form, they also publish a bar diagram showing the spectrum of views at one glance. This is a nice little feature. Reading as many comments as possible helps to form an opinion. Sometimes it helps to check what a certain user has commented on a game, book or film I already know. If I share his view on some items I am inclined to believe what he has to say about another one. The style of writing and spelling are good indicators for the quality of a comment.

If I am very interested in a game I don't just read the specific forums but also those of its competitors. (It is interesting to learn what Ford has to say about a GM car, and vice versa.)

But forums and similar platforms should not be trusted before the product is actually available. I strongly suggest not to base a firm opinion on any product on pre-release "information" of any kind, whatsoever. If it comes from developer, producer or publisher it is nothing but marketing clutter, anyway, and most fan-sites and their allocated forums tend to simply spread the hype. Only after the release of a product fan-sites and user comments become useful.

By the way, user comments can be extremely valuable if you are not sure when to make the purchase: Has the game in question been published in a state you consider playable or does the developer need some time to patch it before you are willing to pay for it? Does the first patch correct the issues you find important or do you want to wait for another patch? The question of timing can make a difference in terms of money if you have to invest in hardware before you can play.

Thanks for the very informative reply, alpha-kilo. I was going to PM this because it may be construed as off-topic, but I don't think it is. It relates well to both FP:DR and ARMA2's media coverage.

It should be general knowledge that the biggest gaming media should not be trusted too much in reviews and previews.

What the media can offer to attract readers is (mainly) gaming previews. The access to these previews is controlled by the game publishers. So there is an situation that encourages to corruption. If you don't write nice about my game, I wont give you an exclusive preview of my next game.

Advertisements is another weapon the publishers have against the media. Most web sites are mainly financed by advertisements contracts, often bought by gaming publishers whose games are being reviewed on the very same site.

You do not bite the hand that feeds you..

are they going to use the top orientation when people watch through the scope? or even when reloading?

The vertical soldier menu command is another one, couldn't it be more in the center in order to block the vision sight even more?

These simple effect make the game arcadish and crappy. anyway, who cares..?!

edit: ah and another thing: People will have an picture in the middle of the screen that show, says if the soldier is in crouched or stand position. All these extra things, imo, are simply ridiculous!

:confused_o: Isn't it a bit early to call it an "ultra realistic" military sim at this point? We haven't really seen anything thus far especiallly vehicle dynamics. Sure we saw the GC video's but that doesn't tell us truth.

We have however seen that the screen displays so many things it kills the realism effect IE what position you are in etc.

Not sure I buy 'his' reason as to why the 2 was dropped, as for the marketing (from clive himself if he's the guy in the video's) I don't buy the naming because if that were the case he would call it Dragon Rising in interviews, NOT Operation Flashpoint.

The message I get every time I hear that is "Hey lets build upon the original's success yet at the same pretend it doesn't quite exist/ we made it."

Besides he obviously doesn't understand that the majority of the gamer base (or does and is using that to the benefit) doesn't give two rats of an ass to research actual developers,

they simply go by the name...I think I'm done here, semi tired and I think I'v lost my clearity..though on a side note yes Star wars was classified by episodes but numbers alone sounded rather dull. (Proof shown at the scrolling intro text). :dd:

Edited by NodUnit

Interesting enough, FP:DR seems to me more like a modular hodgepodge out of several, allready made, engines and systems than a genuine new-development (Like instant noodles or such, just add a dash of C++ and done). The 'developers' merely 'developing' content for those stitched together systems, just like Frankenstein did with his creation.

First i was a bit shocked at the nice graphics i have seen at the youtube videos about FP:DR (spelled flapoidari) especially the shells impacting and the mountainous landscape, but as a friend of mine said 'I dont like the grey look of it' ... its too CNN/FOX whatever to me too... I think with 'ultra realistic' they just mean that 'docu' style which is imho childish and pedantic at least since i dont need my game look like 'real war' on my TV (whatever that is and as if they would show it there anyway) ...

:computer:

(Yeah im a bit mean here and there, just check the interviews and news releases of those 'developers' ... i just dont like their demeanour and way how they talk and...) argh .. i stop here :blues:

Clive Lindop at it again...

Check that out :rolleyes:

Codies: Bohemia OFP protest 'didn't blip on our radar'

http://www.videogamer.com/news/codies_bohemia_ofp_protest_didnt_blip_on_our_radar.html

Dr. Clive should rather look at this:

DvD said to me in German Forums, after we laughed about their latest german feature list (explanation below picture):

"Hey G-C Codemasters are simply Austin Powers fans... I have there these private Pictures of Dr.Clive"

drclivelaser.jpg

Short Story:

There was in Codemasters Forum a german post which answered some german communtiy question of OFP DR Features... To me and others, they were wirtten in a form, to rather impress little shooter kiddies and people of lower age in general.

One feature was the funniest one (how they described) in which they described and tried to blend all those kids that their sattelite data is taken by a ultra-cool-frickin-laser-beams :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Text Free traslated by me back to english:

"7. Devil Spike: If anyway, which real Data was used to create Skira?

- We have used digital sattelite and terrain data. A laser-beam is shot from space and bounces off the surface it hits, to create a 3 Dimensional Image for creation of our terrain. [...] "

In german this sounded to me like "We have a own ultra-lead satellite with frickin laser-beams".

A serious developer (like BIS is for instance) would have not tried to explain the technology behind it to impress little kids and the press - they simply would have written (and BIS did it in that form) something like:

"We use real satellite data to create the game environment" - thats it!

I saw that latest article. If I wasn't versed in all this wouldn't think twice about what they said; it wasn't hostile to BIS or that untruthful at first glance. Then we see it's Clive that said it and we know it's all lies. Also he didn't mention the hiccup about him claiming to have worked in BIS' dev team, or the claims about making the original, or the other dirty tricks they've pulled. Idiot.

Truth is many, many people are going to buy the game because of the advertising space it's getting (and that it mgiht be good in a less-hardcore way). I hope ARMA2 gets the same amount of previews at least. Obviously I'm going out on a limb, somewhat as neither game has been released.

Full VideoGamer preview: Here.

Edited by SaBrE_UK

Oops, ignore this. I posted a response to something I completely missed the point of.

Dr. Clive should rather look at this:

DvD said to me in German Forums, after we laughed about their latest german feature list (explanation below picture):

"Hey G-C Codemasters are simply Austin Powers fans... I have there these private Pictures of Dr.Clive"

[iG]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5673/drclivelaser.jpg[/img]

Short Story:

There was in Codemasters Forum a german post which answered some german communtiy question of OFP DR Features... To me and others, they were wirtten in a form, to rather impress little shooter kiddies and people of lower age in general.

One feature was the funniest one (how they described) in which they described and tried to blend all those kids that their sattelite data is taken by a ultra-cool-frickin-laser-beams :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Text Free traslated by me back to english:

In german this sounded to me like "We have a own ultra-lead satellite with frickin laser-beams".

A serious developer (like BIS is for instance) would have not tried to explain the technology behind it to impress little kids and the press - they simply would have written (and BIS did it in that form) something like:

"We use real satellite data to create the game environment" - thats it!

NASA would love to have this technology :658:

Edited by Berghoff
Do not quote images please

I wonder why a developer is answering to BIS' press release when a PR guy should reply. That AI programmer guy said that one right.

I lol'd so fucking hard, sadly it came at cost of unwillingly saturating my keyboard with saliva.

Thank "DVD" for that :p:D Still i laugh about it too everytime is see it....

Anyway, are there any new news about OFP DR? I heard nothing new in none of the forums im hanging around.....

Poor info deprived CM fans, it seems like a portion of their community is being drawn toward ArmA 2. Not hard to fathom, as it is by all means, barring name, the true successor to OFP.

Anyway, are there any new news about OFP DR? I heard nothing new in none of the forums im hanging around.....

Well, since you opened the door....

A: They are checking out BI's new forums

B: Watching the cool ArmA II videos

C: Considering restarting all over again

D: Debating on a name change

E: All of the above

I was just watching

trailer of DR. I hate to badmouth CM, but there was just too much haziness and blur, and when they zoomed up close on infantry (particularily faces) and vehicles, it looked like the sort of quality one would expect of a game made in 2005. I hope they tweak things up a good bit before release.

EDIT: Saw this nugget of wisdom on a comment on one of the trailers:

for those of u who think the gfx r gona suk its prolly cuz ur not plying it on pc or ur pc isnt good enough to play it

If their trailer's don't look good, what's it going to look like on the average PC? I'm always amazed by the rationale (or lack thereof) of fanboys :p

Edited by echo1

If their trailer's don't look good, what's it going to look like on the average PC? I'm always amazed by the rationale (or lack thereof) of fanboys :p

The same with higher res textures I expect.

Found this new preview of DR uponst my trolling of the interwebs

fairly hefty image sizes, 56k beware and all that.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/663/page1ayx.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8017/page2g.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1097/page3lnj.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8038/page4smx.jpg

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1945/page5.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2415/page6.jpg

Well, its exactly the same noise-heavy (and other PP) that we've already seen, and some more target renders. Still entirely underwhelmed but secretly hopeful (I'd like to have 2 good soldiering games to play, not just one...)

Edit: Oh, and its still extra heavy with the PR bullshit too: "We have a persistent, highly dense visual effects, which is a huge and difficult thing to pull off and we've actually achieved that with the EGO engine. To my knowledge no-one has ever done that to this level before"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Edited by DM

sounds to me more like :"hum~~lets cook some dinner~ add some more salt, add some more vinegar, add some more sugar, add some more red wine, add some more this and that, DONE! Should be tasty"

Looks like it could be a fun game to play. I hope it turns out well. I know it won't be a proper OFP sequel from what I've read, but it might be a blast, at least for console players.

EDIT: New Eurogamer article. See Clive writhe and squirm talking about BIS! It says BIS made a "furious reaction to the incorrect suggestion that someone from the original OPF team was working on Dragon Rising", but doesn't mention the fact it was actually Clive who claimed that!

Edited by SaBrE_UK