Sign in to follow this  
norsu

Quick guide on how to make your A1 infantry work in A2

I just repathed the proxy to use the glasses model, repositioned the proxy to fit, and then simply edit the custom NVG model to fit in with that proxy position.

Is the NVG proxy displaced in BIS' ArmA 2 soldier MLOD then, or were you using the existing NVG proxy you had on your units (which I assume was in a different position to the default one, from having moved it to fit your custom NVG models)?

If that's the case, I'd have though it's be easier to delete all proxies from your model, merge all the ones from the ArmA 2 sample model (along with the new hands etc) into your new model so that they're in the default position, and just modify the position of your custom NVG model inside the p3d that the proxy paths to.

Is the NVG proxy displaced in BIS' ArmA 2 soldier MLOD then, or were you using the existing NVG proxy you had on your units (which I assume was in a different position to the default one, from having moved it to fit your custom NVG models)?

If that's the case, I'd have though it's be easier to delete all proxies from your model, merge all the ones from the ArmA 2 sample model (along with the new hands etc) into your new model so that they're in the default position, and just modify the position of your custom NVG model inside the p3d that the proxy paths to.

I was using the existing NVG Proxy from my units, and yes, your way probably would have been easier, but I've done it now ;)

EDIT: I'm not using the new hands for the majority of my units, as they're using various types of glove mapped from the unit texture itself, so it'd take too long to try and re-map them (plus, I'm lazy :D).

To make it really easy to fix these problems.

Go to your "ca" folder in editor, make an folder called "characters" make subfolder "Heads" and place the "bysta.p3d" file there and you will se the head on the soldiermodels.

I just moved over the NVG proxy from the sample model, and deleted my old one. Worked perfectly, now I just have to update my textures, they appear blurry.

Yeah, I found that too. Simply used Photoshop's built in Sharpen filter thing on the TGAs and reconverted. Seems to do the trick without any pixelation (that'll depend on the oirignal texture though most-likely).

this is a very helpful topic, hope to have a go at getting my nogovan light infantry working over bank holiday weekend :)

Any body knows how to use the Skeleton model? Could just copy and paste it into ARMA1 soldier model?

As far as I'm aware, the Skeleton is for people who wish to create new animations. Its not simply a case of copying the skeleton into an ArmA1 model. What you'll need to do is simply follow the first post in this thread to get the ArmA1 model up to spec. The skeleton is irrelevant unless you plan to create new animations.

Oh, understood. I just tried to copy the selections in Memory of skeleton to the memory of ARMA1 models converted. And it seems nothing special happened in game.

can someone please explain me in more details or post on youtube

how to fix the head and the hand. i am not good with O2

can someone please explain me in more details or post on youtube

how to fix the head and the hand. i am not good with O2

1. Delete your current hands off of your current model and replace them with the ones on the new Sample model *soldier*. Simple copy & paste.

2. For the head, just delete your current models head, then open up the example model "soldier" and copy and paste the proxy called "bysta".

Hi mates, i hope you guys can help me.

When i use my model and the M136 i can see my own head. Do you have any clue on why?

*Edit* Just found the problem thx to a mate.. i had a proxy in pilot lod too much Uuuuups :P

Edited by Cougar
Found the problem

Hmm.. I tried what Norsu teaches, but when I try to save it Oxygen 2 PE says "An error occured during the save" or something like that. This is my first time with Oxygen, so it's not a big surprise, but if someone could tell me how to fix this, I'd be glad.

BTW: Could you Norsu please send me those FDF soldier files? I would like to play ArmA 2 with FDF. I've already ported the weapons and the vehicles, but I think I can't get those soldiers working on my own.

Thanks in advance 8)

So if in ARMA1 I just do a reskin of default ARMA1 models, I cant port it to ARMA2 as I cant edit the p3d right?

BI a1 models are available in the sample models.

Does anyone know much about Weights, named selections, and animations? I'm playing about with totally custom units, had to define all named selections, and whilst it works to about a 95% degree, the arms get twisted in certain animations, etc - my suspicion is that it's to do with weighting.

Weighting is a true and utter bitch. I did something like what you're describing once and still got nowhere. My best guess would be to trial and error it up... although maybe Synide can help you out.

I've actually got reasonably far with this. I'll post my findings when I get everything sorted, but it's not as hugely complicated as i'd feared, thanks to the BIS sample skeleton.

I've actually got reasonably far with this. I'll post my findings when I get everything sorted, but it's not as hugely complicated as i'd feared, thanks to the BIS sample skeleton.

I managed to create a new unit from scratch and get it working in A2, had a slight issue with the knees but apart from that it seemd ok. Didn't bother too much with weighting (cause it seemd a bit above me)

Yeah I'm finding the weighting is actually not that vital if you get the selections spot on. But, there are some areas where selections overlap, and that seems to be where good weighting starts becoming necessity.

I found that weighting the spine and pelvis section less important than arms and legs as like you say, stuff overlaps alot there, its all a bit more intricate too.

Blargh, if you guys have any tips on how to correctly weight arms and legs so that knees/elbows don't look massively stupid, please let me know.

i'm confused here what exactly do mean by weighting? do you mean the mass in geometery?

Yeah I think that's what they're talking about Namman.

Hey guys, what are you using to binarize these files? I got a custom model working perfectly unbinarized with no problems doing exactly all the directions to the letter. However I'm still using the ArmA 1 O2 tools. When I binarize the folder, and test it, the hands get all fubar and turn into huge blocks. Is this because of the old version of O2 or because something is still wrong with the model??? Namman is working with me on the same mod, so assistance with this issue would help us both.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Team Leader of the Lost Brothers Mod

I'd suggest using the Arma 2 tools, binarized models from A1 dont work in arma 2, try with the new tools and it should be ok.