Sign in to follow this  
yakavetta

Scoped weapons: Is this possible?

;1415147']Yes' date=' FFAA guys found a good solution... There should be a mod changing all the sights in scoped weapons to look like this... Or at least all ACOGs and PSOs... Sniper rifles are good as they are with 2D sigths...[/quote']

+1 for this. I don't mind the sniper scopes being an overlay, but ACOG and PSOs would be awesome as pictured above!

Thanks for that reply STALKERGB. Really cleared things up, so it's not "impossible" to do. It's just not perfect. But what is perfect?

Have a look at the Apache cockpit picture, working HUDS, meaning RTT

LOLz.

Animated textures != RTT.

edit:

I thin what you are referring to are MFDs. ArmA and ArmA 2 already have MFD monitors working, but their displays aren't 'multiple'. I would be quite surprised to find the MFDs in OA actually multifunctional, and would be even more intrigued to see how they propose one could logically control such minutia. The context menu already gets cluttered up too much as it is.

When BIS says 'working HUDs', I believe them to mean HUDs that are actually functional for the purposes of weapon aiming, as opposed to how they are currently.

Edited by Max Power

Looks okay, but even less realistic, I think.

Have u ever looked trough any scope? Especially ACOG... It is far more realistic even with some "issues" (not only view in scope is zoomed, outside part is zoomed too) we can't fix/overrun (did i use proper word here?). :p

;1415725']Have u ever looked trough any scope? Especially ACOG... It is far more realistic even with some "issues" (not only view in scope is zoomed' date=' outside part is zoomed too) we can't fix/overrun (did i use proper word here?). :p[/quote']

Yes I have. Like I said, it looks better in the sense that you feel the scope is there, but having a black matte is more realistic than having a zoomed and focused peripheral area and a perfectly in focus scope body. If the scope body and areas visible around the scope were very blurry, it would be a step towards realism.

And I don't know why you say "especially ACOG". Optically, the ACOG is just a 4X scope. The ACOG models that use the BAC simply provide a bright aiming point that your brain superimposes on the visual field of the user. That means when not focused on the scope, you still get an aiming point, but you do not get the magnified view while also having the areas outside the scope in focus. However, the version in the game is truly just a 4x scope. You can use any scope with both eyes open, but your brain cannot focus the image in the scope and out of the scope simultaneously.

the FFAA mod just zoomed in the whole screen and then filled it will the scope, its not ideal but its an ok solution.

Hey mate,

Great thing you have going there. Add some blur to the side and it is a much appreciated addon. It provides a better level of of immersion. Question is of course....how is going to make all the different scopes?

Still...........love what you did there.........:)

Bumped

Any idea on how i can add a ppeffect radial blur to a weapon while in scope view & ironsight?

I have wanted this for a very very long time! I hope to see some progress on this in any way.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Bumped

Any idea on how i can add a ppeffect radial blur to a weapon while in scope view & ironsight?

FREAKING good idea! Just make the whole screen zoom in (not just the scope) and blur what is outside of the scope. Oh my god let's do this!

It would be better, having just a black screenw with a sniper view in the middle is very old and very unrealistic. Im trying to find out how to do this but atm it seems like its a case of having a number of things added such as differnt models, more scripting (abit more complex than what im used to) i need to just finish my mod now and stop trying to add cool features.

Edited by Opticalsnare

i need to just finish my mod now and stop trying to add cool features.

Agreed :D

Really, it'd be best if you could get out a first version soon for us to enjoy and do other cool features for an update :)

Having the whole screen showing the world while aiming will also mean less FPS in most cases. When having it as it is now with black around you get a good increase in FPS wich is really good for precise shooting. Then again its maybe just me that needs a new computer lol.

Hope something better can come though than what we have now - im all for it.. :)

I tried something in Crysis awhile back but could never get it to work right, another way i tried was to change the glass shader setting to custom one, which included "Refraction" map to fake the zoom This worked however it was useless as it didnt take into account the LOD so anything you zoomed in on was pixlated. ...

Does this trick work in Arma2, too?

Would it be possible to zoom out the suroundings with a shader instead of zooming in the scope?

Im afraid im not that familier with the ArmA engine as i am with the Crytek engine. crytek engine already has these features built in and has many other features which are fairly easy to understand and add or edit. Tbh i really woundnt know where to start on something like this for ArmA, its whey past my skill level.

When i asked my old buddy from insurgency mod who i worked with and did the lead programming stuff he basicly said its a very hard thing to do.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Giving it another thought, one could maybe edit the pilot view to add a fake surface with such a shader to zoom view out when zoomed in :)

But that would probably lead to other problems like having this surface visible when you don't want to, and scene not rendering "big enough" to make the zoomed out view.

So... blurring sounds like a way to go, but might have issues with floating aim.

Having the whole screen showing the world while aiming will also mean less FPS in most cases. When having it as it is now with black around you get a good increase in FPS wich is really good for precise shooting.

Not the case, you get a boost in FPS because your FOV is narrowed when you zoom (less to render), has nothing to do with the black reticle border. You get a similar boost whenever you zoom in with or without ironsights.

Not the case, you get a boost in FPS because your FOV is narrowed when you zoom (less to render), has nothing to do with the black reticle border. You get a similar boost whenever you zoom in with or without ironsights.

Yeah, if you double tap num "-" then you take a hit, nasty :(

What I'd like to do is make the scoped rifles is make it so you bring the rifle up to your face like normal. But your screen doesn't change to the "in-scope" screen, but rather the rifle stays in front of your face.

Well its possible, i.e. Cryostasis (russian game) features something like this, dont know if the Arma 2 engine would allow it.

Edited by thales100

Yeh thats possible in ArmA 2, all you need to do is make the weapon model with a scope thats got a hole though it like the aimpoint, and then you just edit the config settings as required for the zoom factor.

Yeah thats true. I wasnt thinking straight. :)

So the thing the spanish mod has plus some radial blur along the sides then? Would be nice.

Why is Arrowhead advertising HUDs, we've had HUDs forever in ArmA?

God render-to-texture would be awesome in ArmA... real Javelin displays, real Styker remote cameras, driver displays.