Sign in to follow this  
yakavetta

Scoped weapons: Is this possible?

God render-to-texture would be awesome in ArmA... real Javelin displays, real Styker remote cameras, driver displays.

And real ultra-stutter brought about by rendering two 3D ArmA scenes at once.

Just knocked up a script to apply radial blur when scoped and it looks like it's not going to be a runner:

1. This PP effect doesn't work at all when Post Process Effects are disabled in video options (where DynamicBlur, ColorCorrection and probably others still do). So when BIS provided this option to remove motion blur they just disabled this one effect globally.

blur1.jpg

2. The non-blurred area at centre is square and it doesn't scale with your FOV.

blur2.jpg

Erm... there are two types of blur; this type and the type that blurs the whole screen.

I don't think the blur is absolutely necessary to be honest. The way the FFAA mod did it is adequate considering the limitations.

i also noticed an other kind of blur ingame.... don´t know how to enamble it via skript.

I had a bug today, where middle of screen was sharp and around the center it was blurred...

But in ArmA3 a feature like this would be great... *dreaming*

Regards Culti

And real ultra-stutter brought about by rendering two 3D ArmA scenes at once.

You don't render them both at full detail. You can seriously de-resolution and de-complexity one or both.

Well i spent some time on this just now about 1/2hr and tried differnt settings. The problem isnt the settings its just the RadialBlur effect dont seem to work as it should. It dont blur your screen as in dynamic blur but simply overlaps the exisiting view.

Obv you can tone down the settings and it dont look quite so bad but if you want it to be blur blur it dont work or i coundnt get it to work.

Anyway this is the closest i got so far.

blurtest.jpg

Shame really :(

Just had an idea about this (Insugency/red orchestra style scope) .What if you had a *camera* script that displays in the scope. It would just be like another screen but with the camera (zoomed image) being displayed where the scope is. That way the game only has to render things once.

*EDIT Just read the chopper crew camera thread, sounds like it is not possible o well

Edited by jono_retard

Well, as far as I understand it, one needs to have render-to-texture (RTT) capability in the engine to make this work. Sadly, Arma 2 does not seem to have this feature.

If I am right, one would basicly render the "normal view" like we have it now on unscoped weapons. Then, you would render a second zoomed-in "scene" to a texture (the scope lense, or how you call it). So without RTT, no cool scoped view, I'm afraid.