Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFAI - AI Extension - ARMA II

Hello erazor,

can't say I am really working on this at present, see here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=106528

I have never experienced any ammo disappearing through VFAI but the issues you describe are usually very hard to determine in the plain code. In the testing environment all that usually worked fine. But I have seen weird behavior in MP games; possibly due to delays in code execution and distribution of global variables.

So I hope that someone at some point will pick up the challenge; I fought this battle for years :)

VictorFarbau

This addon remains one of my staples :) I made the JTD Flies addon to give the player more visual clues as to how bodies can be found in deep clutter :)

Think its 'fixed'. I removed the smoke-mod pbo and replaced it with another AI mod that allows for the AI to also throw smoke - just now they don't all receive a free smoke when spawning. After that i went back to check the equipment mod and the AI seems to be rearming fine without any ammo disappearing.

Thanks for the awesome mod!

I wonder if the Author can take look over getWeaponCargo and getMagazineCargo commands - that gives probably new opportunities, like scanning for WeaponHolders or vehicle cargos and making AI pick the weapons and ammo on their own :)

Since Victor gave permission to modify this, I took a stab at it. Got a working ACE/OA version where the AI also looks for stuff and picks it up from the OA backpacks on the dead/unconscious units, using the new commands. Getting them to rearm from weaponholders, crates vehicles is totally doable, just need some time to hack that and some other features.

Since Victor gave permission to modify this, I took a stab at it. Got a working ACE/OA version where the AI also looks for stuff and picks it up from the OA backpacks on the dead/unconscious units, using the new commands. Getting them to rearm from weaponholders, crates vehicles is totally doable, just need some time to hack that and some other features.

------Great, expecting a more advanced one from you. Before time, I often use it, AI could equip themselves is great and convenient, but one annoyed thing is the AI in your team frequently yell "ready", maybe you could modify it.

awesome!

You'll be releasing it, right? :) Just so that i don't miss it, will you be making a new thread or posting it in here?

you scary me Rob!

Like how they pick up AT wep, and use it on me....:butbut:

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

awesome!

You'll be releasing it, right? :) Just so that i don't miss it, will you be making a new thread or posting it in here?

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/tasm/activity

TASM DevH.

awesome!

When it's done I'll make a thread for it yes.

Nice one :)

One thing that bothers me about AI behavior is that when in a firefight, after they've run out of ammo they will not make any move to rearm at any of the bodies lying around (even with VFAI). It's probably due to some danger level override that prevents rearming logic when under fire, but I think being totally out of all ammo would override the override yes? :)

Its great to see this mod is being worked on again, good stuff!

If you make enhancements, please also make a non-ACE version too. Thanks for maintaining this.

1, Does this auto rearming mod also require "getWeaponCargo" and such OA scripts??

2, Is this mod used for AI groups only? Or soldiers in player's group also have this function, rearm auto without any order??

Hey there. I was interested in trying this mod, even joined the Dev forum where it is hosted in order to be able to download it. However, even logged in, when I click on the download link I get a 403 message that I am not entitled to access the page and download the file.

What do I need to do? Learn the secret handshake? Answer the riddle of the Sphinx? The answer is, "It's a man." Now can I download the file?

Thanks domkun, I'll try the new improved version.

I have tried various AI mods and they all seem to have really nice aspects, then again they have stuff that I don't like, or stuff that makes certain missions impossible to complete. Right now I am using GL4 with the wound system from SLX added to it. Seems to work pretty well, but I have no idea what errors or conflicts are happening behind the scenes. So now, I will be tacking the ASR AI Skills mod on top of that. Is this kosher? Is there any thread where I can get some advice about mixing and matching AI mods?

Just as in real-life there is no single answer. Basically the more pronounced the AI mod the higher the risk of incompatibility with missions.

Nonetheless I can offer my meagre knowledge:

High-influence (high risk) AI mods

GL4

+ easily customisable (edit any of the SQF files in the GL4 folder of your unserconfig directory)

+ offers a wide range of AI improvements and effects

- hasn't been updates in AGES (<year?), therefore contains several bugs

- noticeable CPU overhead

SLX

+ easily customisable

+ offers a wide range of AI improvements and effects

- hasn't been updates in a while (9+ months), therefore contains a few bugs

- noticeable CPU overhead

Zeus AI

+ easy to install as no configuration

- hasn't been updates in a while (6+ months), therefore doesn't take into account the improvements in AI offered by latest patches

Low-influence (low risk) AI mods

Robalo's ASR AI Skills

+ easy to install

+ significant improvement

+ offers variety via varied skillsets fir AI

DAP's AI First Aid Support

+ easy to install

- no readme (still under development)

So in short I play with Zeus, ASR AI & AI First Aid because they're easy to install and don't bork most missions. If I find a mission is borking, I remove Zeus.

In terms of combing them all, it is indeed a lofty goal to which I can only pretend. Your contact on this is Gunter Sverloh and his WarMod mod.

Hope that helps,

domokun, that is extremely helpful information and thank you very much for taking the time to provide it for me.

I'm searching for a good balance. Right now, the mods make the missions--pretty much all of them, retail and user-made--into basically suicide missions for my team. On night missions when I'm supposed to have the advantage of night optics, now the AI makes liberal use of flares and there is no place to hide. Stealth in general is out the window. One shot with a silenced weapon--even using the subsonic ammo, and every opfor on the map is instantly converging on my position. Escape and evasion tactics are futile--once they are alerted to my presence, there is no escape. They seem to have bat-radar. They can see and shoot me in the dark without night vision equipment.

I can retreat and then set up ambushes, and kill them by the score, but eventually my guys start getting hit, or run out of ammo, and the oncoming waves of enemy overwhelm us.

The missions are all set up to compensate for dumb and predictable ai by making the odds very steep. Improving the AI's tactics and causing them to attack en masse creates a no-win situation and it's getting tiresome.

I'm going to try your formula--Zeus, ASR, and AI First Aid. Maybe that will improve things a bit.

Low-influence (low risk) AI mods

Robalo's ASR AI Skills

+ easy to install

+ offers variety via varied skillsets fir AI

You're right there. I played a random mission in OPERATION COBALT: COMBINED OPERATIONS and Zeus AI crashed the game at the same location everytime. But ASR AI was fine. Zeus needs to bring his mod up to speed.

The major problem I've had with the Zeu AI (my game patched to the latest) is that my squad members freeze up and will not respond to my commands. Until that gets corrected I can't use that mod at all. But I like the more aggressive and resourceful AI, to a point. Right now I'm back to GL4, which I have to say I like the best so far overall, but I've disabled some of the features that were giving me problems. I disabled the Reinforcements, and removed the Config pbo from the mod so that now the AI is not universally equipped with smoke and flares. Had to disable the blood, burning, and wounds features to, among other things, keep my own weapons from killing me and keep myself from bursting into flame every time I passed a burning vehicle. With some of the more glitchy things turned off, I'm getting a really nice game now. The missions are very challenging--the enemy engages from realistic ranges, fights aggressively, and behaves tactically.

Robalo's mod is working beautifully. My last mission, my number 3 guy ran out of ammo, and when I checked him about a minute later, he had ammo again, for something. Excellent mod.

To get Zeus AI running nicely you need to tweak it a bit:

1. disable (stick em in a folder parallel to Addons) these pbos:

zeu_FindCover.pbo

zeu_GLx.pbo

zeu_netcode.pbo

zeu_sys_AI.pbo

So you're left with these

zeu_cfg_ammo.pbo

zeu_cfg_core_ai_skills.pbo

zeu_OA_c_ai_recognition.pbo

zeu_OA_c_ai_rof.pbo

zeu_OA_c_ammo.pbo

zeu_OA_c_RocketBallistics.pbo

2. Increase AI for hostiles and friendlies

skillFriendly=0.98500001;

skillEnemy=0.98500001;

3. Reduce accuracy to:

precisionFriendly=0.3;

precisionEnemy=0.3;

BTW, with regard to or DAP's First Aid mod, I forgot to mention a small but vital detail : it requires the latest version of CBA; 0.7.5 RC1 which available at http://www.multiupload.com/ORWYZ9KAY0

Alternatively you can always get the very latest via SixUpdater.

Edited by domokun