Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFAI - AI Extension - ARMA II

Hello Victor

thanks for the update. Downloaded yesterday, hadn't had the chance to test it propperly though.

In any case thanks once again.

kind regards

nettrucker:D

Hey VF, loving the smokeshell feature. I have 1 little problem though. When my units get injured and go to throw smoke they often end up in a funny pose for quite some time after throwing smoke straight in the air. I've had units stay like this for awhile on occasion...

arma22010-02-2221-08-10-75.jpg

arma22010-02-2221-08-20-77.jpg

lol? :p

@AnimalMother92 - is this happening during MP or also in SP games?

@zGuba - 1st time I saw this EH I immediatly wanted to change SmokeShell.AI. But then I had to reconsider: units would be running out of smoke shells way too quickly. Had to find a rationale when AI really needs to cover their butt urgently. Only reliable reason coming to my mind was when hit - not just being shot at.

@Kroky - good idea but tricky to implement for various reasons. However, when it's coding time again I'll definitely do some concept work on this.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

@AnimalMother92 - is this happening during MP or also in SP games?

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

I was playing SP, in the editor. Maybe there is a mod conflict? I'm also running ACE.

No mod conflict. If hit the victim is supposed to look at the object that fired the shot. Looking in the skies means the identified object by the "hit" eventhandler was NIL (non existent). I do intercept this in the code already but sometimes there seems to be a glitch still.

I'll try to provoke this at times to intercept that special situation as well.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Hi Victor, I really love your mod. I play Arma2 only in SP and I was looking for rearming mod like this for ages :) There is nothing worse than hear Out of ammo from AI teammates and give each of them order to gear. I use only rearming pbo and I must say, that latest release runs very smoothly. But I saw sometimes strange behaviour like medic with rucksack on back took rpg then dropped rucksuck run away, then run back took rucksuck dropped rpg and and so on... but maybe i has something to do with ACE. Or soldier took AK then back M4 then he ran back to take AK, back to M4, I dont know why. Oh, just one really not easy request :D Could you made AI in combat mode to act like this: First shoot with rifles, mgs.. then when they are out of primary ammo try to switch to hanguns, out of secondary ammo, try to throw grenades and search for a new weapon or rearm somewhere no matter what's going on? It would be also nice to see them rearming from Weapon boxes, but I understand that it is maybe too hard for scripting. Anyway great MOD, please keep on good work!

No mod conflict. If hit the victim is supposed to look at the object that fired the shot. Looking in the skies means the identified object by the "hit" eventhandler was NIL (non existent). I do intercept this in the code already but sometimes there seems to be a glitch still.

I'll try to provoke this at times to intercept that special situation as well.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

So for example, if the enemy shooter happened to be killed, then he would no longer exist and the smoke would not be thrown at him? That makes sense as I've seen this behavior sometimes, after healing team mates from the "agony" state. They get back up and throw smoke in the air, but the enemy has been killed while they were down.

I got the same problem as Alloc. I saw my SMAW-Operator going to an dead enemy unit dropping his empty SMAW and take RPG. After a few meters of moving he returned dropping the RPG taking back the empty SMAW. After that he turned again for dropping the empty SMAW again taking the RPG and so on. He didn´t follow any orders i gave him and continued dropping and taking endlessly...

hey victor, thanks for this addon, i think we already used it in arma1 on our server and now of course its a must-have again.

one question, might it be possible to add an option, that the AI drops pistols at once when they have one and that they dont pick up a new one?

it happens so often in arma2 (already happened in arma1 vanilla too), that the AI gets stuck when they have pistols in there inventory. i dont know why and when this happens(maybe 1st aid module/revive related?). most times u can unstuck them by let them dropping ALL their weapons (when u just let them drop the pistol, they will drop it, but keep stuck in pistol-holding stance without having a pistol in the hand).

i know this is not related to your addon, but problem is, that with ur addon the AI will keep on picking up pistols whenever they can and its just a matter of time until they get stuck again.

so it would be great to have the option (in userconfig or so) that, at least the friendly AI drops pistols at once when they have one and that they dont pick up a new one.

hey victor, thanks for this addon, i think we already used it in arma1 on our server and now of course its a must-have again.

one question, might it be possible to add an option, that the AI drops pistols at once when they have one and that they dont pick up a new one?

it happens so often in arma2 (already happened in arma1 vanilla too), that the AI gets stuck when they have pistols in there inventory. i dont know why and when this happens(maybe 1st aid module/revive related?). most times u can unstuck them by let them dropping ALL their weapons (when u just let them drop the pistol, they will drop it, but keep stuck in pistol-holding stance without having a pistol in the hand).

i know this is not related to your addon, but problem is, that with ur addon the AI will keep on picking up pistols whenever they can and its just a matter of time until they get stuck again.

so it would be great to have the option (in userconfig or so) that, at least the friendly AI drops pistols at once when they have one and that they dont pick up a new one.

Yes this happens, and is very annoying.

Would it possible to have this work where the AI won't throw smoke if the target is nil?

For example it looks silly, when you revive some team mate who was shot, and the shooter has been dead for a minute or two, then the AI look straight in the air and waste a smoke grenade. It would be better if they saved it to throw at targets that still exist.

The following items are on the list for the next build:

1. Userconfig option whether or not to take handgun type weapons
  2. Smokeshell - refinement of situational awareness (see comment)
  3. Taking launchers only when related ammo is also available

Comment: tricky business specially in MP since the engine updates about dead/non-existing objects in irregular intervals. A unit could potentially wait 30-60 seconds just to check whether the shooter is still alive. We'll see what can be done there.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

I am very happy to read about the upcoming changes. Since the last version VFAI is working quite well for me. The refinements you stated are exactly to the point.

Now if only Wolfrug would remove the reloading shouting from RUG_DSAI...

I wrote already to him but there is no answer.

How this is related to VFAI? When AI picks up a rifle or (especially with a GL) then until it will use the rifle or GL it will shout reloading all the time.

Updated VFAI to build 019. Addressed some points, others still need some work. See the change log for the updates in this build.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Awesome! Nice to read news from you - THX

Is this addon still being maintained? Looks like it generates a lot of errors in the .rpt file in ArmA 2 OA (Combined Ops.) I like VFAI a lot, it'd be nice to see an update to it if possible.

Hey Victor,

The latest beta just opened a whole lot of scripting possibilities:

[72701] New: getWeaponCargo, getMagazineCargo, getBackpackCargo script commands

Are you planning on using those to have AI rearm from crates, vehicles etc. ?

I hope you did not lose interest in this very cool addon ;)

Took some time off recently due to increased workload and some vacation. Those new commands look interesting indeed.

I planned an overhaul when OA came out anyway and this will definitely be on the list to test now.

VictorFarbau

Can't wait for update (if your still working on it - been 2 weeks i see from last post :))>

I think i got some 'side-effects' though -

I don't seem to be able to load saved 'LAN' games when using this mod. Always ends in a CTD after the loadbar fills. Could it be that while the game loads the script is trying to give every soldier on the map a smoke grenade (if it works that way, as opposed to only giving new units the item?) - thus stressing the game to much onload up?

Also about the ammo gathering - I see the AI run from dead body to body to grab stuff, and i see the animation followed by the "ready" command letting me know they've done 'something'. But when i go to check on their loadout (with the 6 - gear command", they haven't picked up jack shit and continue to be out of ammo :/. At least thats what i thought at first - Because this one time i ran up to a dead AT soldier to grab his ammo, but before i could do so, a AI squad member of mine ran up too and took it before me. I'm like great... at least HE's got ammo. But when i checked to see if he really did take it by letting him 'gear' somewhere, he didn't have the ammo. Its like the ammo just disappeared. Could it be that when the AI member doesn't have the required slots for the ammo (as was the case in this example), the ammo disappears from the dead body, but the AI 'drops' it somewhere or it just plain disappears?

I'm running @CBA, Your mods in the Add-on folder, and the latest beta patch.