Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

Yea, think it happens only, when server is started, and a third player joins the fight.

if all three of us meet in the lobby, and start together from there, there is no problem.....

Yea, think it happens only, when server is started, and a third player joins the fight.

if all three of us meet in the lobby, and start together from there, there is no problem.....

Quite likely same now I think of it. My two save games are certainly before and after the new player joined. I have had no problems in the past using the lobby. This was the first time I made the host public and had a player join.

Found something else.....

Well now ive just tried some single player.

When you die, and restart, the Helicopter no the entire image is frozen in midair.

only restarting Cipher ( by exiting to main menu, and reselecting mission restart ) solves the problem.

Anybody else stumble across this?

Edited by markushaze

Quite likely same now I think of it. My two save games are certainly before and after the new player joined. I have had no problems in the past using the lobby. This was the first time I made the host public and had a player join.

Thanks for keeping an eye on that folks. I'm sure now its a JIP issue as it fully corresponds to observations I made some time ago under similar circumstances.

Will have a look at it.

When you die, and restart, the Helicopter no the entire image is frozen in midair.

I had this ussue once right after the mission start in SP mode and thought I fixed it. So I guess it happened to you in the insertion chopper too, did it not ?

Also how did you "die" ? Jumped out ? SpecOp mode, right ?

@Wiper

Mode: SpecOp (light)

Sorry, i have to explain better.

Yes i mean the Insertion Chopper. Thats the image frozen on screen when you restart after being killed.

Exiting Cipher, and restarting from the main menu works.

Same thing happened to me Wiper. Mode: SpecOp Light. I got shot during the mission. So I pressed restart and then the frozen image of you sitting in the chopper.

Same happened to me as well, Spec op lite. I finished the mission and hit restart to see if it replays the same parameters or a new location.

Anyway, the chopper and pilots were frozen so I jumped out. I managed to survive. All else was ok but looking up I could still see the Chopper frozen in air. Strange!:eek:

Its even possible we face a game bug here cause it only seems to happen with a pbo'ed version, open mission folder always seems to work well.

If one of you can reproduce that I'd be glad.

Currently cant reproduce that bug anymore so I might have fixed the triggering event anyway.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

ok, v1.36 is up

Hopefully all of a.m. bugs are fixed now.

v1.36

• fixed: primary target marker vanished when a player JIP’ed.
  • fixed: using team switch could screw insertion process somehow.
  • fixed: possible frozen chopper after reload of a insertion procedure.
  • improved: primary target more likely to be found in urban areas.

download on first page,

have fun !

This mission is so much fun (I play it more often than any other mission/mode) that I'm thinking BIS needs to include it in the retail distro. That, or give you a freaking job to design missions for them. :bounce3:

Having SO MUCH fun with this mission it's incredible. Now all we need is random enemy spawns such as vehicles, planes, etc. and a mode for random BLUFOR vehicles at the insertion point.

Bug?

v1.35, specop light. I get no briefing before insertion. < v1.35 i do get briefing before insertion.

Same in v1.36, no briefing before insertion.

Edited by zeep

Bug?

v1.35, specop light. I get no briefing before insertion. < v1.35 i do get briefing before insertion.

I only play coop on a dedicated server. ArmA2 in general seems to have a problem with briefing notes appearing immediately. I haven't noticed in cipher v1.36 yet, but sometimes the briefing notes take about 30 seconds to show in coop missions, at least on dedicated servers. Sometimes the briefing notes show right away. This is just something to keep in mind.

silent_op

Bug?

odd, just tried and always get it.

What do you mean with "before insertion" ? In the briefing room or afterwards in the chopper prior to disembarking ?

Also, are you facing this issue in SP or MP mode ? Any selections for the options (daytime, difficulty ) other than 100% and day light lo (=default, quit options with <esc> key)?

It always can take some seconds to show up all briefing texts in the briefing "room", especially in MP it may take several seconds for clients.

I choose single player, spec op light, daytime, 50% difficulty.

After i select difficulty the game starts. Before version 1.35 i get the briefing as soon as the map appears. From 1.35 and up i only get the briefing once i'm in-game and open the map.

So versions 1.35 and 1.36 have the full briefing in the map view only after i've been in-game and opened the map.

Edited by zeep

After opening the briefcase and recovering the module, i get a message from HQ saying to let them know when i am ready for pick-up; unfortunately, the support option is not available and communication key does not give me any options. I have only played single player campaign, so i am sure i am just missing something, but hoping someone can tell me what i am doing wrong in regards to calling for pick-up. I have played the mission successfully thru three times now and same result...no support or radio options. BTW, i really appreciate the replayability of this mission and the difficulty seems spot on for me.

What is the difference between spec op and spec op light?

Lighter enemy presence. Translates into something like fewer enemy vehicles and patrols.

Having SO MUCH fun with this mission it's incredible. Now all we need is random enemy spawns such as vehicles, planes, etc. and a mode for random BLUFOR vehicles at the insertion point.

I agree. Having random enemies would be nice, maybe in relation with the difficulty level. Personally I would like a point system, where for example an APC=50 points, and a rifleman=5 points. So you can have an APC or 10 riflemen, and you don't know which one you get. In that way you don't know what to expect

@danfuqua you must open the map, and use the radio there..

it should be the top most option above save game :-)

On a side note, I have the Briefing screen before the insertion with the helicopter .

Dont know what happend with you guys...

Edited by markushaze
spelling

What about some kind of counter attack while you are waiting for extraction. Enemy mi17's would be good too instead of it always being a hind.

Can someone give me some tips on how to do well in this mission? I've played it over and over and its a total slaughterfest (of my ass). I drive to the AO and always on the way, I encounter a few Opfor. I've found that trying to simply run by them as fast as possible is often not the best course.

I order everyone out of the truck and get them prone but my team is like an idiot fire drill. I often get wiped out by much smaller number of Opfor and if armor or a Hind show up, forget it.

In Arma, I found my men could really take care of themselves against armor and attack choppers but in Arma 2, it's like I could use Fraps to record "comic relief" movies.

Should I try to avoid any contact at all costs for as long as possible? It's getting to the point where I'm about to give up as any enemy encounter turns out to be a clusterfook. Any input appreciated.

Hi, I gave this mission a go in SP and I must say I loved it! After some longish hiking we sneaked through a forest to Stary Sobor after a couple of quick contacts with the enemy. In the city we had some awesome fire fights, my AI teammates handled the engaging very well taking care of the enemy while I was planning the next advance and taking out Tunguska trying to flank our rear from behind a hill and some trees. A hind came in but one of my teammates took it out and I heard it crash near us behind a house and a huge fire emerged eventually (I was using JTD fire and smoke). After fighting the enemy for a few minutes while advancing further in Stary Sobor there was fire and smoke everywhere which ignited probably from my grenade shells I lobbed at the baddies, heh. But the smoke worked for our advance, gave us great cover!

We found the suit case but encountered more enemies coming from the SW. I orderd my men to return fire and guns were blazing once again. I decided to just do the suit case task and scoot out with my men before the whole russia would arrive. However, while downloading the code from the suitcase a bullet snapped in my head and took my recently saved game. That's where the fun ended:

arma22009-10-0200-44-53-13.jpgarma22009-10-0200-44-38-86.jpg

What you see here is 2 screenies from after loading the autosave through 0-0-1. For god knows why some waypoint creation symbol with some options appeared at the bottom of the screen where my squad member icons would normally be. I couldn't lead my squad anymore and I had ordered them into a halt before I saved the game. Plus some odd yellow marker was floating above a nearby running civilian and a red marker in SW far away.

What is this? Is this a mission bug or just another arma 2 bug? I was using JTD fire and smoke, CBA and VOPsound 2.1. Anyway, a great mission right here nonetheless!

Edited by King Nothing

King Nothing,

it looks like you accidently (or intentionally) activated the HCS (Hybrid Command System) that is included with the mission. The "waypoint" symbol in the command line actually is the HQ symbol and you are in the High COmmand mode in both screens. Default key Ctrl+Space should put you back to the normal team command mode.

However, the HCS has a minor flaw that if the original High Commander dies, the subsequent split teams cant rejoin anymore. So *maybe* you eventually need to team switch for a succefully extraction at the end.

Personally I dont use/need HCS often but still opt to let it in Cipher as it is a great and helpful tool particularly for forming multiple teams in MP environment.

DesertJedi:

Sounds like you are maybe rushing too fast forward towards the hot area ?

Always try to spot them first before they see you !

As soon as the AI spots you first things can unfold very quicky to your disadvantage, depending very much on how far away (or close to) you are to the enemy HQ, which can be anywehere within the red area.

So generally only drive if you are 100% that they cant detect you (which actually is more or less impossible, but you get the picture :) ) because the truck (or bike) is something they spot very easily

Secondly if you approach and the probability of contact rises to a high degree, always try moving slowly. Dont run often. The AI detects running units very effectivley ;)

And third, try to get a good overview of their wherebouts, most importantly scout for armored units first before initiating a charge and always try to neutralize those first.

Good planning right at the start often provides some advantage too. Sometimes a wider route is a better choice just because you maybe find the time to down the Hind beforehands, or cook up a nasty armored unit camping out there, or even both ;)

As a last resort maybe try to reduce the difficulty to 75, 50 or even 25%.

By doing so you'll also get some additional hints in the briefings 'Hints' section plus the AI is dumbed down a lot. Once after you managed to find the target for a couple of times, even if you dont survive until the very end, you'll get the groove of 'Cipher' and its dynamic AI so that you eventually may feel comfortable to switch back to the ultimate challenge of 100% :)

Have fun !

Edited by Wiper

Awsome mission Wiper. :) I am loving it!

The focused design makes for a completely unpredictable experience every time (in a good way).