Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

Thanks Wiper. I'm downloading now. I'll test it in a few minutes.

silent_op

Edited by silent_op.pxs

Wiper,

I tested the MP COOP mission a bit, on our dedicated server. The helicopter insert works perfectly now, as long as all AI are enabled. With the AI all enabled, the player and the AI were no longer invulnerable to evrything on the battle field.

The medpack option on the setup screen works as well (thank you :)). I actually set the medpack to only show the option "no", from the description file. I then added the First Aid Simulation module from the editor.

My question now is, would it be possible to set the MP COOP version to work with disableAI=1 (in the description file)? This would mean if less then 10 players started the mission, then the helicopter insert would work properly and the players would not be invulnerable. This may mess with the JIP you have. Perhaps you can set one constant place on the map for JIP players to insert. How the JIP players link up with the rest of the team is up to them and the mission leader.

Just so you understand, any changes I make to your mission is only meant for use on the Phoenix Soldiers COOP server. All credits are as you set them, previous to my alterations.

silent_op

Are you able to / is it plausible to:

- Add more 'requestable support' such as a UAV overfly for enemy unit intel, a Harrier to provide CAS on an armoured target that the player lasers or a smoke artillery barrage to cover the players extraction?Wal

@Wiper

Very nice mission, I can see you have done a powerful amount of work to get it to the stage it is now.

I hope you don't mind, but I incorporated the SECOPS module (support only). You can now call all standard SECOP support options [transport;CAS;Artillery(all variants);UAV;supply;etc] activated repeatedly by Radio Charlie. I appreciate tat its a bit of overkill, but I am a big fan of having the full support of the USMC in whatever mission I embark upon, and then it is up to me how sparingly I use it.

Oh and I may have ;) accidently ;) replaced the truck with a LAV25 as well.

I will post it up here, but only as long as its OK with you. Otherwise it will be for private use only.

Haven't played this in mp yet but it is probably the best sp mission ever imo. Love the way it is completly different every time you play it. Would it be possibe to add some kind of air support to it? I think this would make it even better.

Thanks for your replies folks.

@All

Feel free to edit and change stuff of the mission to your liking but please dont load it up publicly.

Most if not all wishes and adds that peaple would like to see in Cipher are all features that I left out intentional after I have added and tested them by myself.

Please understand my move here. Some of these features like the FirstAid or SecOp module do not seem to work flawlessly in *all* modes this mission supports (see the threads in the mission edit forum).

Additionally they change the game play of the mission in way I intentionally wanted to avoid, really, hence Cipher wouldn't be Cipher anymore how it was meant to be.

Again, feel free to change content to your liking but as for now, dont go public with it. Maybe I'll change my stance for that but I need to rethink some aspects of the mission first.

@silent_op.pxs

Thanks for nailing that "disabling AI" issue down!

Yea there is an oversight for the disabling AI check in my last updates, I have spotted that part "while I type" and will try to fix that as best & soon as I can.

However I'm afraid in SpecOp mode this might not be easily possible.

In that mode the unused slots are used as "pool units" for JIP exactly in the way you suggested.

I will dig into that once I find some time the next 1 or 2 days and maybe I can find a general way around it, hopefully for every game mode.

I finally was able to nail that "disabled AI" issue down, hopefully once and forever.

silent_op, I hope you dont mind I put you in the credits for finding that bug out. Many thanks for that once again :)

New version 1.34 is up on the first page.

Have fun !

I finally was able to nail that "disabled AI" issue down, hopefully once and forever.

silent_op, I hope you dont mind I put you in the credits for finding that bug out. Many thanks for that once again :)

New version 1.34 is up on the first page.

Have fun !

That is great news, I can't wait to try it out. :yay:

silent_op

Thanks for your replies folks.

@All

Feel free to edit and change stuff of the mission to your liking but please dont load it up publicly.

Most if not all wishes and adds that peaple would like to see in Cipher are all features that I left out intentional after I have added and tested them by myself.

Please understand my move here. Some of these features like the FirstAid or SecOp module do not seem to work flawlessly in *all* modes this mission supports (see the threads in the mission edit forum).

Additionally they change the game play of the mission in way I intentionally wanted to avoid, really, hence Cipher wouldn't be Cipher anymore how it was meant to be.

Again, feel free to change content to your liking but as for now, dont go public with it. Maybe I'll change my stance for that but I need to rethink some aspects of the mission first.

I understand completely Wiper, which is why I asked. The SECOPS (support) module brings a powerful amount of ordinance to the mission, which favours it heavily towards BLUFOR if used excessively. I have experienced the complexities first hand of trying to have SECOPS work across a range of game modes and underdstand why you omitted it.

Once again let me say what a big job you have done with this mission so far. Well done mate.

Wiper,

The mission seems to work just fine now. Thank you for even considering my suggestions. The helicopter lifts off as soon as the team member (or members) exit the helicopter.

For our server only, I think I will replace the insertion urals with civilian versions, and place the kit in the crates as cargo in the trucks. One thing I did do was add some M4s with ACOGs and GLs, M9s M9SDs, M1911s, and M136s to the briefing kit screen.

I look forward to your next mission design. :bounce3:

I meant to ask this before...

What is the "SpecOps version - only for usage with a server template"? What do you mean by server template?

silent_op

Edited by silent_op.pxs

What is the "SpecOps version - only for usage with a server template"? What do you mean by server template?

There's a mission class in the server.cfg where admins can define all missions that shall be available on a dedicated server.

Each mission class in the server.cfg has a "template=<mission name>" entry that points to the mission folder/pbo name and it may also contain some entry to for the "lobby" parameters for that respective mission.

Unfortunately I dont know how to define that parameter setting in there, and I never found any answers to my questions regarding this throughout the web. Also the parameter entries I once found somewhere (Param1, Param2) for Arma2 versions prior to v1.03 never worked for me using this mission class definitions.

I added a predefined SpecOP version (default parameter set in the description.ext) to the archive simply to allow an admin to host an alternative variant of Cipher.

This way clients without admin rights can vote at least for one second 'Cipher' mission mode and arent bound to always play the default 'Task Force' mode.

Edited by Wiper

Download 1.34 now and can't wait to give it a crack. You are a very generous mission creator Wiper. :)

Wiper,

The mission works great. We played the mission earlier today on our dedicated server. Not only did the insert work as it was planned, but the extract worked just as well. Very cool mission, thank you. I look forward to more inserts. :yay:

silent_op

Hey Wiper, you did an awesome job on this... I played the single ver and I enjoyed thoroughly... I was totally immersed in it... I played the SpecOP ver.. Well done...:clap::clap:

Edited by Stormin

Thanks for the flowers folks :)

New version available, see first post.

v1.35

• improved: further polishing of the suitcase placement
  • added: option for high and low solar altitudes
  • added: more guns to briefing gear and cargo spaces
  • fixed: some minor issues.

Have fun.

Beautiful. This mission rocks. I've been playing it often since the first version, very well done. Thanks for all the updates as well.

We've been playing this for a few weeks now and it's incredible. Really great work.

Few requests:

Would it be possible to implement (if it isn't present already - I couldn't see it) a way to save a generated mission or at least be able to restart the mission with the same location? If everyone gets killed, we can't retry the mission as it'll select a new location.

Would it be at all possible to implement a kind of optional troop selection? I've made a few modified copies of the map here with a selection of troops (four fireteams, three fireteams and a sniper/spotter combo, etc). It'd be nice if this was selectable at runtime as opposed to requiring editing (and script editing, at that).

Would it be possible to select a location to play (as an optional alternative to selecting a location at random)? We finally got the chance to play in Berezino (probably my favourite location) but an AI bug killed nearly everyone right at the beginning (don't ask). We couldn't "retry" and we couldn't select Berezino again...

Possible issue with v1.35...

As my team approached the objective zone (red filled circle), the circle disappeared. I never saw any further map markings until the blue extraction zone appeared.

Extra details: This was a MP game and I wast hosting. Another player joined mid game. Not sure if these details relate to the issue. I also reloaded the game (early on) due to a ARAM2 bug where my controls stopped working, locked in some kind of commander mode. Had that happen several times, the game appeared to run fine after reload.

Edited by Greg

Our group also really love this mission and enjoy that every time through the mission it is different.

One question though is there any likelyhood of a random target as well? ie sometimes the suitcase, sometimes to assassinate the enemy general (particularly for the spec ops version), destroy a facility? Perhaps sometimes you might get limited support. Don't know really and just thinking out loud.

So definitely not complaining, just wondered if the above sort of twist to the mission plot was in the pipeline at all?

Cheers,

Stonehouse

Would it be possible to implement (if it isn't present already - I couldn't see it) a way to save a generated mission or at least be able to restart the mission with the same location? If everyone gets killed, we can't retry the mission as it'll select a new location.

Save game. In MP however I think this can only be done if the server aborts the session. Not sure if there are other options to save a MP game right now but saving is the only way to restart the current mission/locations set currently.

Would it be at all possible to implement a kind of optional troop selection? I've made a few modified copies of the map here with a selection of troops (four fireteams, three fireteams and a sniper/spotter combo, etc). It'd be nice if this was selectable at runtime as opposed to requiring editing (and script editing, at that).

Negative I'm afraid. Of course its possible but I'd need to open up working code and add further options. Besides that would clearly need a new options menu it also would bound me to develop the mission widely further which, as already stated, I dont like but rather concentrate on a new mission which may have added such options from ground up.

Would it be possible to select a location to play (as an optional alternative to selecting a location at random)? We finally got the chance to play in Berezino (probably my favourite location) but an AI bug killed nearly everyone right at the beginning (don't ask). We couldn't "retry" and we couldn't select Berezino again...

Same as above. As an option it'd need too much to add and change. But I'll have a look at how a MP game can be saved properly (without ending it temporarely), that should at least provide for a retry.

Possible issue with v1.35...

As my team approached the objective zone (red filled circle), the circle disappeared. I never saw any further map markings until the blue extraction zone appeared.

Extra details: This was a MP game and I wast hosting. Another player joined mid game. Not sure if these details relate to the issue. I also reloaded the game (early on) due to a ARAM2 bug where my controls stopped working, locked in some kind of commander mode. Had that happen several times, the game appeared to run fine after reload.

hmm...can u tell/remember some extra info ? Was the border of the marked red area visible or did it vanish completely. Same for the suitcase spot, was it drawn in any way on the map. What about the insertion and rendevouz point markers. Did these vanish ?

Really hard to say. JIP and reloading (still) always seem not 100% reliable in the game to me, but it always can be some mission glitch of course.

One question though is there any likelyhood of a random target as well? ie sometimes the suitcase, sometimes to assassinate the enemy general (particularly for the spec ops version), destroy a facility? Perhaps sometimes you might get limited support. Don't know really and just thinking out loud.

I know very well what you mean and I understand that desire completely as I felt (and still feel) the same way from time to time. Its maybe some kind of shortcoming of a vastly randomized mission concept as well because while on one time the challinge is so intense that one might be happy thats its over with the extraction while at another time it might smacks of something left to desire :)

Its indeed on my list for the next mission but for Cipher I'm afraid I need to make a cut with the mayor features and let the target assignment as it is, at least for now.

But thats not all my last word on that I must admit.

I'm still observing what others and myself have popping up in our minds and as I effectively didnt start working an a new design, a 'Cipher 2' or somthing similar might be a next step also. That would mean a new mission on one hand but using some of the current content also. Lets see what future brings. Personal mood and time constraints of course are factors that may change things also, lets face it.

Anyway, great to know you like the mission anyways, thanks :)

One question I'd like to ask you all concerns the current placement of the target.

I changed it a bit since 1.33 in way so that the briefcase not always placed within "high density" urban areas but also in or near buildings right outside in the rural areas.

My impression is that this may happen now far too often so that close combat in villages has become a bit rare since 1.33.

Can you folks confirm this ?

I'm almost concidering to switch back to the previous placement for high likelyhood of urban combat but havent enough time and mood to play/test it much.

So I'd like to hear your opinions in this first.

Edited by Wiper

@Wiper Well I too experienced the bug described by Greg. exactly the same.

And yes., The target zone os way to often placed outside urban terrain.

If you can adjust this, that would be nice.

So far, best mission for ARMA2 Thanx for that :-)

Edited by markushaze
add Thanx :-)

Confirmed. Last 2 times i played Cipher the target zone was placed outside urban terrain.

@Wiper Well I too experienced the bug described by Greg. exactly the same.

ok...

I never saw any further map markings until the blue extraction zone appeared.

I think I have overread this one.

markushaze, Greg:

Does it mean that both of you did not see ANY map markers anymore (even not the insertion point f.e.) AND that both of you noticed that issue after a player JIP'ed ?

Confirmed. Last 2 times i played Cipher the target zone was placed outside urban terrain.

ok thanks, clearly shows my impression was right.

Will revert to the previous method of emphasizing urban areas more then.

Thanks for you reports guys. Much appreciated !

markushaze, Greg:

Does it mean that both of you did not see ANY map markers anymore (even not the insertion point f.e.) AND that both of you noticed that issue after a player JIP'ed ?

The Green and Blue insertion point markers were present. Only the red filled circle disappeared. The red circle was never replaced by the outline or other little circles.

I have a saved game both before and after this issue occurred. I have PM'd the download link to you.

I do not recall if the issue related to the new player joining in progress or not.

Maybe make that an option, I like that the objective is NOT always in urban areas.

Those rural "hideout" encounters with the general are quite fun and add variety. :bounce3: