Vehicles in-game speed experience

Vehicle in-game speed experience  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Vehicle in-game speed experience

• It is too slow, please BIS, increase the in-game speed experience
    • It is too fast, please BIS, decrease the in-game speed experience
    • It is just perfect

Hi All,

the more I play the game, the more I notice that all the vehicles feel really slow, like something is holding them on their tail.

Take for example the helicopter or jet flying...or even the tank. I don't feel their power when controlling them.

Should BIS increase the feeling of speed a notch or two?

Edited by p75

Tanks too fast, trucks too fast, mmm rest is ok.

They feel ok to me but the handling sucks. It's easier to drive a real car.

Yeah that's really the crux of the issue. It's like the pivot point is in the middle of the rear axle. It's awful driving a car down a narrow winding road. Horrible in fact.

The map is too small to have real speeds imo. A jet would otherwise cross the 15kms in just a minute or so.

Agreed also that the vehicles still feel as tho they are being towed by an invisible cable. Although I have gotten use to driving down windy roads at high speed in a small sedan. Just keep tapping the direction keys.

Off road, some vehicles slow down to much... even with the shift key pressed.

Once a motorcycle just caught fire under me while driving it off road.

I think it overheated driving it uphill... I didn't bump in to anything I believe.

No, I know for sure I didn't bump in to something... got my drivers licence in the Dutch army... maybe the AI should 2.

Speeds on road seems fine to me, tracked vehicles speed seems ok in all locations also. what I would like is an "over drive" option for non tracked vehicles when off road. I mean, in a real war if I was in a vehicle (car, truck , bike) and had to drive off road while under fire, I wouldn't give a damn about the suspension, or oil temp or whether the windows fell out :). You would drive it too destruction just to survive. Basically, we could over drive a vehicle but it would become unusable after 5 minutes, due to sustained damage. However there are many more important things to fix before some thing like this could even be considered.

i'm pretty sure that the speed we're driving in, and the speed displayed is not equal to eachother..... i think the displayed speed ( atleast in ground viechles ) are about dubbel the actual speed. atleast thats how it feels to me

I have no problems with the speed of the vehicles, but the penalty for putting one wheel off-road is ridiiculous. Hope this can be modded.

If you think tanks are slow then you definitely don't want to play OFP. The only thing that bugs me is the fact that vehicles are controlled both by mouse and keyboard, and everything I attempt to drive seems to turn completely on the left side. But imo, speed is definitely not an issue here.

Yeah that's really the crux of the issue. It's like the pivot point is in the middle of the rear axle. It's awful driving a car down a narrow winding road. Horrible in fact.

That's where a real car pivots when it turns?

Perfect for me. I use a a joystick to drive since a mouse really doesn't work well for me.

The real problem here is there they need to adjust the driving physics.

Theres no wheel spin at all, when you go in the dirt the car should have traction issues not just get bogged down like the car has no torque.

This is my biggest issue with the game but with all the complexities of the game if it cant be fixed oh well its still the best sim out.

Speeds seem fine to me, except cars should probably go faster than the 90km/h they go now. Has anyone even tried driving 1km at a fixed speed and timing how long it takes? (To calculate the 'real' speed..)

If you think tanks are slow then you definitely don't want to play OFP. The only thing that bugs me is the fact that vehicles are controlled both by mouse and keyboard, and everything I attempt to drive seems to turn completely on the left side. But imo, speed is definitely not an issue here.

When I don't drive by joystick, I drive by keyboard alone. Hit the free look key (default "*"). This also allows you to move your head easier if you don't use TrackIR. I find the keyboard to be easier to use than the mouse.

vehicles have no power. I was driving an M1A1 up a slope about 20 degrees and it just slowed to a grind. And if you hit a tree just right it will stop a tank until it finishes the falling animation.

vehicles have no power. I was driving an M1A1 up a slope about 20 degrees and it just slowed to a grind. And if you hit a tree just right it will stop a tank until it finishes the falling animation.

Yeah, that I experience also.

It's fine. I would like if there was a "cruise control" set of buttons with 10 incremental speeds instead of 3 (slow, nornal, fast) It would be usefull for aircraft as throttle too.

Like said above the physics for vehicles are really in need of fixing. I tried to ride up a hill on the USMC motorbike and I just came to a stop halfway up, this was on a paved road. There is still a lot of skidding going on as well with tanks sliding sideways down even slight slopes. I think a lot of problems with the AI driving are related to the phyics as even we human players have a hard time trying to keep these vehicles on the road sometimes.

i'm pretty sure that the speed we're driving in, and the speed displayed is not equal to eachother..... i think the displayed speed ( atleast in ground viechles ) are about dubbel the actual speed. atleast thats how it feels to me

LOL

double*

My main issue is the handling of the land vehicles. I can put up with going slower than in reality

but not with my car spinning off the road and into a building when i try and gently turn around an corner :D

I think the speed is fine for all the vehicles (much better than arma1, where the tanks were too fast).

The handling for land vehicles should be made easier though and the 'more left/right' command key option seem to make it worst. Maybe BI should bring back the arma1 handling for land vehicles?

+1

And please BI make the mouse usable, I do steer with my KB but use the mouse to correct any under/over steer but as it is atm the mouse is useless.

Please fix this.

edit: Mountain bikes.... they go faster than the Renault, they go faster than any other vehicle up hills, haven't tested it in the editor but from what I've see its completely backward... push-bike faster that vehicles??? WTF

Edited by lockie1976

Dude check your controls. I think mouse is set on hard turns (turn more? I think) by default. Set your mouse left-right axis to turn left and right instead of turn more.

My only opinion is that the motorbikes are far too slow, especially off road - I am quite certain I could speed past a motorbike on one of those mountainbikes we'e got ingame.