Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

HiFi - Single Sound Modules (Weapons BETA released!!)

Mark... still eagerly awaiting your sound mod for ArmA2. :( So far the ones for A-10 are AWESOME! Also, you are the only one who got all the weapons reloading sounds right. I can't stand listening to M16s modded using G36 reloading sound (with the signature springy sound at the end due to the flexibly charging handle) and AKs reloading with M16 sound (with the signature bolt pushing sound at the end). Nobody has gotten it right for A2 yet.. hope you are the first! :(

Thanks for the kind words Jason, I do try my best to get things 'right' sometimes it works sometimes it don't... But for now its all working out alright. I just finished the smallarms sounds last night, which leaves the sonic cracks/ejecting brass/bullethits and whizzes left to make up 'per' weapon....Awww it never ends...LOL

Anyways, thinking about it I may release these weapons as is just to give you guys something to play with while I get to work on the adding stuff to finish them. I'm not known for doing beta releases but I'll have a chat with the HiFi guys and see what we can do.

Yayayayyayaya!!!! It seems like sound mods for A2 is a lot more difficult to do as there are a lot more sounds being played at any one instance than before. You guys deserve some encouragement! Got a paypal donation button?

Edited by jasonnoguchi

One more thing about the reloading sounds...

PLEEEEAAASSSEEEE be the first to make those sounds play in sync with the reloading animations. None of the sound mods for ArmA2 has been able to do that yet and most of them play MUCH faster than the animation which really breaks the immersion. :(

PLEEEEAAASSSEEEE be the first to make those sounds play in sync with the reloading animations.

which animations do I sync to ?

1st person or 3rd, both are different...hense the reason most people give up trying, to be honest with you, reloads are something that can be worked again and again till they at least match one set of animations. However, consider this one thing, how dull is working on reloading sounds, compared to working on firing sounds :)

So, I'm basically saying, ok no probs will do my best to make them as good as everything else, but later ;)

Another thing, I think for now I'm going to keep the bullet 'misc' in seperate pbo's, I have a few reasons for this but for now we'll just say its the time factor..

ok, I will try to get the reloads sorted for 1st person timings, and all done for 1st release...

This may also be a beta release which is something I'm not fond of but I'd like to get 'something' out for christmas, I feel that so much support has been given to the HiFi team and myself moreso, that I OWE some people HiFi...

Most of the HiFi beta testers have a copy of whats been done so far, now I await feedback from them individually, soon as I round up the bugs/probs I'm set for releasing, which reminds me, It will be released 1st and foremost @ Kelly's hereos. Them guys are good to me, dispite me disapearing for months :)

So you may wanna check over there from time to time could be worth your while ;)

Hi Mark,

I really like the work you do. I've got the A-10 Hi-Fi pack and it's definitely my favourite sound mod. I did want to let you know that (at least for me) it interferes with the Mando Missiles A10 LGB's and AGM's. I think that because you added an extra fire mode, it pushes the MM weapon slot out by one, and then it ceases to work correctly.

I realise why you did this (to get a good burst sound which tails off), but I wanted to let you know in case you were not aware of the conflict. I've posted this on Mandobles thread as well. I'm not asking for it to be changed (as I realise it could break the A10 pack), but just wanted to pass the info on.

Anyway, best wishes for your future work, DA

Keep up the good work man. I liked the sound mod for A1 a lot so I really look forward to this one too.

Das Attorney

I did want to let you know that (at least for me) it interferes with the Mando Missiles A10 LGB's and AGM's. I think that because you added an extra fire mode, it pushes the MM weapon slot out by one, and then it ceases to work correctly.

Yep, thats my bad I'm affraid. I had a chat with Andersson about this afew days ago and it was down to me rushing and releasing the A10 setup to use the bursts by default. I should have set it up the other way and maybe been clearer about how it could 'break' stuff. So, to clarify ALL addons should work fine with the A10 if you select the GAU without bursts... However, I'm not feeling bad because after talking with ol 'Gandalf' I've decided to update the A10 to 1.4 which should help..

So, I'll release that version with the vanilla style loopable GAU as default and look at working up a version for you rich people with throttle/stick setups ;) . Other than that I'm really not sure what else I could add/tweak. So I guess I'm up for requests :)

Ok, back to the weapons release status...

Ok, the blufor weapons are sounding better and more release worthy, now I need to make some adjustments to the Opfor stuff and get some more testing done. I have a couple of config bugs, 1 missing weapon...(which I have to make from scratch) LOL...Anyways tonight I'll be giving the guy nextdoor a break from gunshots all night.. Tonight, I work on the A2 sonic crack module. I hope he enjoys that !!!!

Hmm, looking at that your probably all thinking next christmas hehehe, but have no fear I'm confident in HiFi for THIS christmas :)

Edited by Mark XIII
words MIA

Yes.. more sonic crack... I dont know about you guys, but for me the sonic crack is the most immersive part in the sound dept. And I'm maybe in the minority that liked stock ARMA2 gun sounds.. (except aircraft's guns/cannons ofcourse)

Stock ArmA2 gun sounds are still tooooo toned down. Wonder why they don't use the real sounds they recorded in their field recordings...oh well.

Anyways Mark, here's my requests for the BEST sound mod i have ever used in a game, HIFI!

1. Environment sound. Remember the kind of environment sounds the ECS mod has? That's the kind of environment sounds that rocks, big variety, dynamic and detailed. HIFI should ace that! :)

2. Vehicle radio chatter... some people dun like this but I think (ok, its not realistic either as military radios don't chatter all the time like police ones) it adds to the atmosphere. Make it modular like you guys always do.

3. Nobody can fool me using G36 reloading sounds on an M16... it really breaks the immersion. So please use the right sounds for the right guns. Also, there are people using dry cocking sound (charging bolt moving forward without chambering a bullet, perhaps using an airsoft version) for reloading sound and it sounds stupid like hell... I can tell straight that I am not chambering a bullet at all :(

4. Grenade explosions should be WAY more bassy than what anyone has done so far. I remembered when I first fired a real grenade off an M203, the low low low and loud bassy THUD of the grenade exploding went straight into my heart. That's the level of bass it needs. Anti-tank tubes need that "sweeeeeesssshhhhhhh" as the rocket propels to the target. I fired an M72 LAW many years ago and the rocket sweesshing was loud as hell but strangely absent in the stock game and in all the sound mods I have tried so far.

5. bullet whizzing... not so realistic but could be louder.

6. sound of heart beat to accompany sound of breathing. so you can hear the heartbeat slow down along with the breathing.

7. Tanks are noisy as hell on the inside. granted soldiers should be wearing ear plugs but the current versions still make them sound like some joy ride in a wonderland.

8. running sound... should be able to differentiate between the sound of footsteps, clothes rubbing itself, magazines knocking against each other, other small metallic parts ringing and sound of weapon parts softly knocking each other.

9. sound of wind to indicate wind intensity. rarely hear the wind in arma2.

10. DSAI.

will feedback more when I think of more and one more thing (the others may kill me for this), please don't rush a Christmas release. A late release is better than a disappointed release. :( You guys have the potential to get it VERY right the first time. :)

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Love the A-10 even more! Fantastic work, MUCH appreciation for your efforts.

Eagerly awaiting our Christmas present. :)

If we're throwing sound ideas in... I'd love more of a pain noise when hit, atm hardly notice that you've been hit, until trying to take aim.

If we're throwing sound ideas in... I'd love more of a pain noise when hit, atm hardly notice that you've been hit, until trying to take aim.

Seconded! Sometimes I even wonder why I hear strange, soft groaning sounds! hahahah! The "thud" when hit by a bullet needs to be louder too.

will feedback more when I think of more and one more thing (the others may kill me for this), please don't rush a Christmas release. A late release is better than a disappointed release. You guys have the potential to get it VERY right the first time.

Heya mate, I 'was' refering to requests regarding the A10....LOL, but no worries you have some good points listed, so maybe further down the line we can get some more modules done. :)

Yes.. more sonic crack... I dont know about you guys, but for me the sonic crack is the most immersive part in the sound dept. And I'm maybe in the minority that liked stock ARMA2 gun sounds..

Its one of the few 'realistic' games that actually has sonic cracks so I'm in total agreement, the more the better infact but for now we'll settle for 2 sounds per ammoclass/caliber that should bring considerably more than the vanilla game has and most other sound mods for that matter :) As regards to Arma's Vanilla sounds, for me a totally mixed bag, so really good (bullet hits) to the poor (multibarrelled weapons) that sound like my old zx81 loading...The weapons sounds I found ok this time round, but still got the feeling I was hearing OFP.....:j:

Yep, Our last mod for A1 had good hits and brought something new too which I can promise you will end up in our new stuff....Heavy caliber hits :) On a sidenote, I have a rough beta of some Hitsounds done already and have managed to include some new content, I'm hoping to release the weapons, cracks and hits at the same time for more of a complete package...

Mark, if you guys need any help on anything, I am always open. Yes, I have extensive fire arms experience and am particular about the sounds these things make.

I have a project (actually 2, really 3..) that I want to make, but for sure I will squeeze out some real HiFi configs for MarkXIII. We agreed that a christmas release will happen as a initial beta test to see peoples reactions and wishes. For you the community and for us (MarkXIII) to get some early feedback.

So it will not be rushed, but it will not be final nor will it be total. The modular concept makes it easier to release smaller parts too so no reason for us to hold good playable content away from the community!

Later on when MarkXIII has finnished of a complete set my plan is to make a proper installment pack for the full experience. Hopefully one day HiFi will be delivered as a complete pack + modular DLs.

I will also make sure, with the agreement of the creators, that other soundmods will be fully compatible when it comes to concept through config and modularity. I have already offered Chammy whatever configs I make + I will also help him if he wishes.

I am ofcourse MarkXIIIs bitch so he is first when it comes to my limited time (even though he really is my bitch..;))

What we aim for is to please and sound is so dependent on hardware, software and personal likings so thats the best way of doing this, I/we think.

Now I just need less RL..

Edited by andersson
made it sound less like I was making the mod.. heh

Andersson and Mark, thank you for your dedication to producing the perfect sounds for this awesome game. :)

You guys did magic for ArmA1 and I believe that boundary will be pushed in this version. :) In fact, I believe in you guys so much that I doubt the other sound mods would add any value to HIFI (with all their wrong sounds created by people who has never even heard what a real firing or a real reloading sounds like with different weapons...sigh...).

Thank you for your words.

I do agree about what you say when it comes to alot of weaponsounds, but one have to remember that different HW, SW and taste make each players experience. So as we are modular there is nothing that stops anyone choose whatever they prefer, thats the beauty. And as soundmods are clientside you dont have to listen to the same "wrong" sounds that other use ;)

I think that there are really good stuff in other soundmods too that I will use. As I do have quite alot to say when it comes to HiFi it mostly ends up the way I prefer it anyway so I will probably end up 100% HiFi in the end :D!

What I think is really important and which is my fav to work on is environment. I was pushing MarkXIII on that the last time (that poor cityboy didnt know much about the sounds of the nature lol). THAT is not easy to get right and from a config perspective alot can be done (I think that was one of the most overlooked part of HiFi_NA as it was really dynamic). That is what surrounds all the time.

Anyway, I should stop chatting and start coding...

100% HIFI is the way to go baby!!!! :)

I must agree, the environment sound was the only fly in the soup for HIFI in ArmA1. Soooooo much could have been done for environmental sound... ok, shan't disturb you further, happy coding! :)

Apparently, vopsound has managed to give different gear sound to soldiers with gears and civilians without gears... so it is possible, please look into that for the HIFI mod too, ok? :)

Apparently, vopsound has managed to give different gear sound to soldiers with gears and civilians without gears... so it is possible, please look into that for the HIFI mod too, ok?]

Yes it is possible, I believe these guys are porting stuff over from their A1 mods. I'm doing my best to make all new sounds. So, normally, I'd say 'sure, I'll pop it next on the list, but.....ACE 2 got released yesterday so I left one of the ACE team a message, more of a proposal really. Anyways I'm waiting to hear back off them. Which, if I get the go ahead will mean half my time would get split across HiFi modules and the other half possibly on HiFi ACE modules...

The reason I'm telling you this is because if it happens I'll be putting footsteps further down my list of things to do, sorry :(

BUT...I will get round to doing them, I've had some cracking idea's too :)

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, the only reason I want to do this is so HiFi X an ACE 2 can run together consistantly. So they sound as ONE :)

Edited by Mark XIII

HIFI ACE MODULES?!??!!? WOWOWO!!! The only two mods that I use in ArmA1 working together??? That is going to ROCK!!!!!

Yes, ACE2 is SERIOUSLY lacking some good sounds! i even asked them how I could disable their sounds so that I can use another sound mod (YOURS!).