Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

You guys should check your computers, because i didnt ever seen such corruption on my computer... Dont blame game!

just because it works on your computer doesnt mean it'll work on others. from what i've seen, about 50% seem to have great graphics and 50% have awful graphics (i have awful gfx :P), and we all have pretty good specs. i'm not complaining though (well anymore, i eventually got over it lol) cause theres so many other great things about arma2, and based on arma1 its all gonna be eventually fixed.

it is a shame though cause so many problems at release neuters the playerbase, like with arma1...

i got a middle spec pc and it runs great , no problum at all, and i look forward to the patch

You guys should check your computers, because i didnt ever seen such corruption on my computer... Dont blame game!

LOL...what a freak :pet6:

For all NVIDIA users I would like to recommend the driver version 182.50 (vista n Win7). It solved many poblems.

Well, as already mentioned in previous post I'm also very curious to read more "Impressions". Lets hope that 1.02 will improve it........

Cheers !;)

Got the game last night and tried it out for a couple of hours. My first thoughts where that it runs ok. But after i tried about 30 mins the bugs and strange graphic/lagging came.

First of all, Boot camp is full of small bugs, beta testers must have fallen asleep at work. I couldnt get my TIR 5 to work ingame (nothing wrong with my device) the games starts to feel laggy after about 30 min i never was under 30 fps but it lagged like i would have 5.

So im not impressed at the moment, will sit down tommorow and see if theres any way to fix my issues. But my first contact with arma the game wasnt as pleasant as i thought it would be.

SPEC:

CPU: E8400 C2D @ 3,6

GPU: Gigabyte 4870 1GB

4GB DDR

VISTA 64

Nvidia released a new WHQL driver last night, 186.18. It works great for me :)

Nvidia released a new WHQL driver last night, 186.18. It works great for me :)

Oooh, thanks for the heads up. :cool:

Will try that one later. Hopefully the patch will be released today aswell.

M5holmes, Learn to roll with the punches man, BIS won't stop tweaking, adding and polishing for some time. Better learn to deal, and not on your timeline. (It'll be worth it, though.)

Hey i dont need to roll with any punches if those punches include me paying for something that is clearly not finished. How would you feel if you bought a cheeseburger only to find that burger has no cheese on it?

Im not saying i dont like the game i loved arma once it was playable, but it was bis that hyped this game up including the campaign and still they failed to deliver a game that was 100% playable.

Could you imagine Bethesda or some other major gaming company releasing a big title as incomplete as arma2?? Of course not and if they did fanboys or not they would receive a lot hate for it not to mention loss of profit on there next releases.

Hey i dont need to roll with any punches if those punches include me paying for something that is clearly not finished. How would you feel if you bought a cheeseburger only to find that burger has no cheese on it?

Im not saying i dont like the game i loved arma once it was playable, but it was bis that hyped this game up including the campaign and still they failed to deliver a game that was 100% playable.

Could you imagine Bethesda or some other major gaming company releasing a big title as incomplete as arma2?? Of course not and if they did fanboys or not they would receive a lot hate for it not to mention loss of profit on there next releases.

Couldn't resist:D How about EA or Ubisoft? EA= nhl series and ubisoft= R6V1 and 2. You wanna read hate mail, try those troubleshooting forums. At least we have mostly civil passionate fans and nonfans here and the developers ACTUALLY post in their forums answering questions when they can.

Could you imagine Bethesda or some other major gaming company releasing a big title as incomplete as arma2??

All the games they made were incomplete...

Wasn't Bethesda's Broken Steel release version literally broken :p?

@m5holmez,

the key here is the fact that BIS is not a "major gaming company" (though I think you are thinking "major games developer". A "gaming company" sounds like a company that employs people to play games all day. Which would be awesome.)

But regardless of that, Arma2 is pretty much in a similar state to many new games I've played recently. Considering how complex this game is compared to others, I think it was a major feat to have managed to get it into the shape it was at 1.00, especially as it was obviously rushed to the market by Morphicon.

The game itself is awesome. Let them fix the bugs. Whining doesn't help anyone.

Installed last night, my Gameplay preorder arrived yesterday. Got it all configed up, and tried the Boot camp, stopped playing cause there was a bug on the range, where he kept failing me and started me off again without me selecting try again. Then when i left the range, its supposed to stop it, but it didnt. So i had a quick squiz in the editor. It is alot better than Arma 1. Sounds alot better. The bass coming out off my big creative sub, rocked the room when i launched a grenade. M4 sounds meatier.

I have had no performance issues, but my pc is fairly top end, I7 940 @ 3.8, P6T Deluxe, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz (PC12800) DDR3, XFX Nvidia GTX 295, 8800GT as Physics card(Doubt its even thought about in this game), X-Fi Fatality. Installed on my laptop as well for mission editing at dinner at work. Had to knock the settings down. Its a 1.8Ghz core 2, Nvidia 8600GT mobile, 1 GB ram. But uts enough for editing.

Will wait for a patch before I play the campain. Never played the campain of arma 1, cause it was buggy and crap emersion, so went straight to making Coop missions. Finished both OFP and OFPR and the rusky one also. Hopefully this one will be worth playing.

Cheers

GC

Got mine delivered yesterday morning (A Day earlier than Official Release Date - I Love Game :D) Have been a big fan of this type of gameplay since the wonderful OFP hit our screens way back in early 2000, spent 4hrs yesterday playing the Evo Marines Map with a buddy of mine over Teamspeak on a server I had stuck up and had a whale of a time.

Obviously a few bugs need to be fixed, but hey thats standard and was no doubt expected by us all.

Now just need a decent CTF map like OFP Everon with the BMP and M113 :D

@m5holmez,

the key here is the fact that BIS is not a "major gaming company" (though I think you are thinking "major games developer". A "gaming company" sounds like a company that employs people to play games all day. Which would be awesome.)

But regardless of that, Arma2 is pretty much in a similar state to many new games I've played recently. Considering how complex this game is compared to others, I think it was a major feat to have managed to get it into the shape it was at 1.00, especially as it was obviously rushed to the market by Morphicon.

I understand what your saying and im not saying the game itself is not complex nor am i saying that bis is a major gaming company but the simple fact is they have had experience in making games and they should have learned from there mistakes ie arma.

All im saying is the public would rather a release that is at least stable on most systems and a sp campaign which can actually be finished and not have to wait for patches to complete a major part of the game for users not familar with arma at all. It may be ok for the percentage of players who have been playing since ofp but not for the newcomers who no nothing about making missions, working the editor etc etc.

Anways i hope 1.02 fixes the major problems and i hope it can be enjoyed by everyone because as you said the game itself is awesome and i would hate to see it go unoticed.

Got mine this morning, running it on decent settins (thanks to Kegety's no blur/bloom mod i get much better FPS)

At last mine has arrived, and better than I thought it would be since my pc is a little old runns ok and med settings but the motion blur pisses me right off. :)

@m5holmez,

I agree, but I do sympathize with his comments on the bugs. It's one thing to have some aspects of the gameplay buggy. It's another to have the campaign, a major part of the game, be unplayable all together. I'm not sure how beta testers missed such things.

As you said, the good news is it's BI, so we know it'll get fixed and fixed fast. As a paying customer though I think he has a legit right to voice displeasure in a civil way, which is what he seems to be doing.

As a Bohemia "Fanboy" :p , gotta say ArmA 2 is pretty much everything I have been waiting for. Classic gameplay and feeling, with much better fluidity/sounds.... well everything!

As for those people complaining about it, give BIS time to sort out teething issues. Look at the base we have to work with as of now, in 6 months this is going to be so far beyond what both OFP and ArmA were, at similar stages of development.

I for one dont mind putting up with bugs and the like, because i know BIS's support is second to none. If people dont like the way the game is, then move on. If you dont have the patience to wait, then ArmA 2 isnt the game for you.

Finally... Just a fantastic job BIS, as always you have provided us OFP/ArmA fans with another gem to keep us busy for years to come.

Im an OFP vet. I have many happy memories playing ol' faithful. Got my copy of ArmA2 this morning and been mucking about with the editor and some single missions.

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING GAME so far. I've only scratched the surface but I already experienced one of those OFP "moments" which just makes you smile.

In the first single mission I got hit by a stray bullet and was left crippled in agony, rolling around on the ground, bleeding. I was waiting for some medical assistance when an enemy came swanning round the corner, saw me helpless on the ground and decided to finish me off, brutal execution sytle. Point blank headshot with his heavy machine gun. Dirty so and so.

What a game!

It's another to have the campaign, a major part of the game, be unplayable all together. I'm not sure how beta testers missed such things.

I doubt that beta testers can affect on release schedules...

I doubt that beta testers can affect on release schedules...

The entire point of beta testing is to find bugs and fix them. Testing starts long before the release date.

I wouldn't believe that they just decided that making the campaign playable wasn't a priority, especially since it appears to just be some simple scripting errors. Perhaps it's a bug that wasn't there somehow during testing. I don't know.

Edited by bonchie

Zavvi Dispacted my order today! :)

But its I have to wait 3-4 days :S

First impressions (playing since yesterday) :-

This is just OPFP with a new island/missions, still the same graphics and dreadful sounds, and clunky control methods.

I have read others replies saying the graphics looking awful is a 50/50 chance thing so hoping the patch will fix that, although from looking at some of the buildings (bland textures and simplistic interior layout), no amount of bug fixing will make them look good.

Bugs in the tutorials and the main campaign (curious if any of the testers even played through them?), squads not responding to commands, triggers not being triggered etc.

Sounds for squad spotting things/commands are (as i remember) identical to the ones used in operation flashpoint, couldn't they have re-recorded them to at least have the same pitch and volume on the variations? instead of sounding like a demented Stephan Hawkings.

Controls are incredibly clunky, manuvering inside a building is just laughable, walking down stairs you can see through the walls either side of them, if you hit the wall you have to turn the opposite way than you're heading to turn round because the model can't 'fit' the right way. Vehicle control actually seemed ok to me (from the boot camp missions) although on a steep learning curve.

Graphics....urgh, I do hope this is just a bug as people have said this game looks 'photo realistic' but to me it seems like OPFP with HDR,bloom and grass stuck on the top in bucket loads, to the extent that you can't even see some aspects if you can see the sky (they're turned pitch black). A lot of fuss on everything, and the vomit inducing motion blur (thank god for the mod that removes it)

Textures vanishing/not loading, most noteable on my squad members heads, which tend to appear white the majority of the time, and then when they do finally load another texture will generally be 'unloaded' leaving it as a textureless block (such as some of the larger buildings on the second campaign mission)

AI, it is noticeable in the campaign there is a lot going on, but, the AI does seem incredibly.....dumb, for lack of a better word, many times i've seen friendly squads running into walls, enemies clunkily standing infront of me going from prone to standing and back again, or staring at a wall inside buildings. My own squad walking into walls and somehow spotting people through 2 walls and a building, yet standing still and not reacting when they're shot from 10 metres away.....

For all the hype about this being an open ended game, there is a lot of (automatic) saving, fading to black, and loading in the campaign to trigger very poor ingame cutscenes.

There is other games which offer similar but better experiences (brothers in arms, hidden and dangerous, to some extent battlefield, and a lot of other fps), but do it in a lot more seemless way (better looking, better controls), maybe not to the same extent but they all are fun, where as Arma2 is just overly more frustrating the more I play it.

I do hope the patch will fix a lot of these issues as I do enjoy this type of game, but i get the feeling that will be overly wishful thinking and it will be left to modders to truely take advantage of the game.

Note: I have tried the various tweeks to get the graphics looking 'as they should' and my specs are below:- (I generally get between 10-20 fps, which is Way below what I should be getting)

Specs:

AMD Phenom X4 9950

9800 GTX+ x2 in SLi

4gb DDR2

Vista 64

Edited by Splarg

I really looked forward to Arma 2, got a new GFX card, pre ordered, watched the vids. Now i have the game im not that impressed.

Its like Arma for the x-box. Just everything about it stinks, not just the bugs and poor performance and jerkiness.

The gui just looks like it was designed for console kiddies, and the towns all seem to be on one level, perfect if you have an x-box controller. Because of this it really lacks the character of arma, just flat plain and dull.

Some things i do like, such as certain sound effects, but the main sound which dominates is the sound of your player running. To me it sounds like i am perpetually running in a puddle.

Once you get out of breath, you get the heavy breathing, thing is it sounds more like the guy is having a w@*k.

This game has been over hyped.

The vehicals are a complete nightmare to control, even worse than arma, especially the bikes, which make me feel sea sick.

The game does run smoothe most of the time, but there is just too much that you would wish to get rid of. Head bob - disable that for a start. Bloom and blur - worse than waking up the day after a beer drinking session - disable that. Grass, oh so verry pretty, but god i cant see s%$**.

Ugly trees and shrubs, drab brown, boring uninspired.

Ive been playing FPS games since the genre evolved, I have collected over 150 titles, I so hoped that this game was gonna be the one, the one you might dream of being utterly fantastic.

Instead I feel cheated, what I got was X-BOX ARMA, no major extra aditions, and nothing new that wasnt done better in an old arma mod.

Whats ultimately gonna happen is that people are going to port over the old arma stuff, Sahrani map, vehicals. And maybe we will end up with a great mod, Arma 2 arma mod. Better graphics (slightly) but the same familiar gameplay.

Im off back to Arma PC and leave u X-box fiddlers to it.

I honestly don't think we are playing the same game.

Nothing new? did you perhaps crack open the editor and take a look? PLENTY of new stuff. And the land scape.. its a real place, I mean its real world sat data. cant get much more realistic. maybe keep your eye on COD MW2, that sounds like its more up your alley.