Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

but whats the difference between SA80 and L85? carbine or something?

Technically SA80 (Small Arms for the 80s) is the entire series of the weapon system including the L85 Individual Weapon (IW), L86 Light Support Weapon (LSW), L22 Carbine and L98 Cadet GP.

However, SA80 has become synonymous of the L85 IW alone in the vocabulary of the armed forces and the Ministry of Defense; so really there is no difference between calling it an SA80 or L85.

Weapons are usually referred to by their common names rather than their "L-number" since Land Service designations are only really used for documentation. Saying "the individual weapon" sounds a bit shit, so SA80 works better.

@Poacher; I didn't realise the new forearm was that widely issued, particularly now the quad-rail is issued to line infantry. Personally I've only noticed it on one L85A2. However, I've seen plenty of L98A2s with it. Tah for the info.

Can't say I'm much of a fan of how it looks compared to the old one though.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Weapons are usually referred to by their common names rather than their "L-number" since Land Service designations are only really used for documentation. Saying "the individual weapon" sounds a bit shit, so SA80 works better.

The offical terminology as taught is "The rifle". Which is kind of unisex if you like as it could be any rifle should we get a new one. Other nomenclature are, "my weapon", "Gat", "Gun" and as you correctly stated "SA80"; all of which are equally viable.

Good that we got that cleared up - wouldn't want to be all confused if we ever saw a rifle-like object on the ground and didn't know what to call it.

Models are looking good, Mr Stalker. Excellent job.

hey just like to point out on the other page you put on your picture as number 6 air cooling hole needed, i've never seen a l85a2 with a cooling hole there, well atleast mine doesn't have one. the white mark is probably just the number sticker on the rifle so you can identify which rifle is yours in the armoury. hope i dont seem like an ass just thort id say as im serving the armed forces.

hey just like to point out on the other page you put on your picture as number 6 air cooling hole needed, i've never seen a l85a2 with a cooling hole there, well atleast mine doesn't have one. the white mark is probably just the number sticker on the rifle so you can identify which rifle is yours in the armoury. hope i dont seem like an ass just thort id say as im serving the armed forces.

As am I (Rifles). Trust me, there's a hole there ;). Butt-numbers are normally written in black felt-tip/white tip-ex stuff on the front/front-right of the handguard or on a silly plastic sticker that often falls off when wet. Stickers would never be put on anything metallic at that end of the weapon system as the glue would evaporate/weaken due to the heat. There may well be some old L85A1/L98A1GP variant handguards out there without one, but all the ones I've seen have. The only handguards I personally have seen without a hole there are plastic airsoft guns.

You may well be more familiar with the new style handguard which, as previously mentioned has fewer, larger cooling holes. Also, some of them have been squashed down during a few years of squaddie abuse.

Going back to the number issue (would probably be best if Stalker decided not to add any, but just in case he gets the hankering) I've marked where I usually see a number on the diagram below (of course every unit has their own unique, wacky way of numbering their gats):

buttnumberlocs.png

PS - there's even a hole on this old A1!! :)

as a exmember of 15 years in the DWR "Now 3rd yorkshire reg "i like to say great work looking forward to these a lot. and you can expect lots of missions with brit stuff onces they some out . i also get a 16 man server were i just have brit stuff and missions to play them

Great job on the units and the weapons are just gorgeus.

I know that some mates and I will be looking forward to implenting these units into the missions we play :)

Keep up the good work.

Here' another version of the SA-80 Stripped but from the other side (from the URL provided above)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/SA-80_rifle_stripped_1996.jpg

Just quick note - I'm sure you know this already, but the rifle pictured is an A1. Key differences being: the a2 has predominantly black gas parts (teflon coated). The groves on the magazine carry on all the way to the bottom of the mag on the HKa2 mags (as opposed to the Radway Green mag pictured). A2s have two lines of Nato/serial numbers in white/silver. Cocking handle shapes vary. A2 has a darker coloured bolt-carrier assembly (again teflon coated for lower friction).

I'm sure theres more than enough information in this thread for him now. Now let the man work his magic....

hello everyone, no update as such, more just to say I'm having a bit of a racist issue with my units heads :) on the white guys the eyes open fine but on all the coloured face textures the eyes stay closed, dunno what is doing that as i would have thought the face texture wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference to the animation...

Help much appreciated :)

EDIT: thanks for all the reference material too guys :)

^ I know this has nothing to do with your mod, and I'll probably start a little racism war off. But there is no need to call Blacks coloured people, YOU RACIST! jk

@TheHandsy, yeah i know but better safe than sorry on here :)

Still dont know what is causing the problem though :(

PeterEyes, the SA80 is a lovely gun although beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Sounds like a strange issue indeed. I haven't had any such issue with the porting and integrating of my SAS Pack. Could it be down to the identitytypes config line? I simply have mine set to:

identityTypes[] = {"Head_USMC"};

That seems to work fine.

Sounds like a strange issue indeed. I haven't had any such issue with the porting and integrating of my SAS Pack. Could it be down to the identitytypes config line? I simply have mine set to:

That seems to work fine.

Jackal, excellent news m8. Do you have a release time for the SAS pack? And are you including your own Diemenco's?:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Jackal, excellent news m8. Do you have a release time for the SAS pack? And are you including your own Diemenco's?:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Offtopic?

And gay