Sign in to follow this  
Sheps

Anyone else sticking with Arma 1?

ARMA 2 just isn't fun for me, sure the graphics are nice but overall the gameplay just feels somewhat boring.

90% of the time you can't even see the enemy only to find out your getting shot at by a squad of guys on the other side of a hill.

I don't know how to narrow it down but before in Arma it felt like you had so many options to choose from. I'm trying to like Arma 2 but its just too hard at the moment.

Not to mention there is still no inclusion of a kill book when you die, like the one from OFP, and with such drastic bullet spray and long distance shooting, its almost as if you did nothing at all the entire time.

ARMA 2 is too hard for me so I hate it.

Fixed that for you. And no, I think you're alone on that front.

Cant BIS add micro AI to ArmA 1? As far as I know, its the new shit in these games, so why not do it?

No way I'm ever coming back to ArmA 1.

Cant BIS add micro AI to ArmA 1? As far as I know, its the new shit in these games, so why not do it?

Why would they?

I can't go back to ArmA1. Ever since reformat with Windows 7 64bit. ArmA2 is running great, I don't think I'll go back to ArmA1 anytime soon.

You know, you can set it up like you want it to be. If you don't want to be sniped from far away then set the enemy skill to 0.5 or lower. Where's the problem?

No way I'm ever coming back to ArmA 1.

Why would they?

Because besides driving, the AI in ArmA II is great? I really like the micro AI and so does many.

ok i hold Back on this but i like to say one thing onces you played Arma II you will thinks like a few other members

Well, I played ARMA2 for the first time last night - and I have to say, its going to be very hard going back to ARMA1.

why swap your roll royce

ms06rr101ex1.jpg

for a

Katy%25203-wheel%2520car1.jpg

Because besides driving, the AI in ArmA II is great? I really like the micro AI and so does many.

What would be the point of making a new game then?

Besides, I'm pretty sure it's technologically not even possible/very hard to do.

i tried to go back to arma1 but i missed all the new features from A2 like crouched running and reloading on the move and SMAW and LAV-25 and BMP3 and BTR-90

I think OP will reconsider once the Arma1 servers are drained for players or simply non existant. I'm guessing the Arma1 campaign is not the driving force ;)

I'll be switching off between the two until ArmA 2 matures enough through both patches and mods, although I don't think it will take too long until ArmA 2 completely pulls me over.

Soon, you'll have all Arma1 islands and addons in Arma 2... It'll just be smoother...

ARMA 2 just isn't fun for me, sure the graphics are nice but overall the gameplay just feels somewhat boring.

90% of the time you can't even see the enemy only to find out your getting shot at by a squad of guys on the other side of a hill.

I don't know how to narrow it down but before in Arma it felt like you had so many options to choose from. I'm trying to like Arma 2 but its just too hard at the moment.

Not to mention there is still no inclusion of a kill book when you die, like the one from OFP, and with such drastic bullet spray and long distance shooting, its almost as if you did nothing at all the entire time.

Nope, I'm not

erm. arent we seeing the same stuff in arma 2 as we did in arma 1 ?

(1000m AK sniping and the like... ?)

how is this harder than arma 1?

edit:

dont get me wrong, i still think that arma 2 in its current (release??!!) state is a turd but it is still miles better than the competition :D

how is this harder than arma 1?

The main difficulty people are (probably) having is with the increased object density in Arma2. In ArmA you had a pretty clear view of the world because it was so "empty", so it was very easy to spot enemies. In Arma2 there's a lot more going on, higher grass, more objects etc. so spotting an enemy is no longer a simple matter. You actually have to take cover, stand still and look properly now, instead of just taking a quick glance over the countryside.

As i just reinstalled ArmA1 to check some addons i must say it looks and feels so much worse if you played ArmA2 for a while.

ArmA2 feels lot faster to me, take the russian SP mission for example where you assault the town, big assault with your unit, everybody screams commands and curses, you jump over the fences, cover the squads a** with your Pechneg and drag and heal wounded comrades... or be dragged and healed.

In ArmA you dont have that, not even in bigger assault missions, not in such a feeling at least.

However there is one thing and indeed the heavy vegetation of Chernarus makes A2 really hard and even i as OFP veteran often just look around helplessly trying to find out where the guy is that puts bullets in me.

On Sahrani that was bit easier because of the bigggers desert areas, however you can set grass detail to lowest and spot enemies easier too in A2, feels like cheating sometimes but if im totally pissed off because i see nothing and get shot all the time in high grass this is the only option before going nuts.

Personally i think BIS made the mistake to make the game too much towards the hardcore players who dont care if they get shot not knowing from where, i dont want a CoD like mode but for example it would help a lot if targets my own unit reports would be marked somehow.

The main difficulty people are (probably) having is with the increased object density in Arma2. In ArmA you had a pretty clear view of the world because it was so "empty", so it was very easy to spot enemies. In Arma2 there's a lot more going on, higher grass, more objects etc. so spotting an enemy is no longer a simple matter. You actually have to take cover, stand still and look properly now, instead of just taking a quick glance over the countryside.

ah right, the grass, that could of course be.

i ve been playing mainly MP coop with the grass of so i didnt notice. I k now it takes away from the beauty of the game but for the increased enjoyment it is well worth it.

i really hope they will fix the ai to not see through bushes and grass but i dont have many hopes there. its just one of those things the engine cant handle i guess.

and with such drastic bullet spray

Well, are you sure you have a legit copy? Such drastic bullet spray is from FADE(You probably know)

Just curious...

However there is one thing and indeed the heavy vegetation of Chernarus makes A2 really hard and even i as OFP veteran often just look around helplessly trying to find out where the guy is that puts bullets in me...Personally i think BIS made the mistake to make the game too much towards the hardcore players who dont care if they get shot not knowing from where, i dont want a CoD like mode but for example it would help a lot if targets my own unit reports would be marked somehow.

From what I've been reading on this forum it seems to be all BIS need to do to make it less hardcore, is tweak the AI spotting routines. I know you can reduce AI accuracy yourself but that is only a half fix and doesn't apply when you go on a MP surver (unless they have modded AI accuracy as well). I would find being shot at and not knowing where from fine, as long as the AI had the same problem too.