Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Actually they are already done along with desert and mixed variants i just didn't screenie them because atm im just overwriting a friends addon not configging and creating my own (still trying to work out how to do that). So i'll post some screenies tonite.

For reskins, those units look awesome, maybe some L85 addon with them, tho SAS doesnt use it I guess, but it would look more than just a reskin. :P

OFFTOPIC: Epic Signature there binkowski :D

For reskins, those units look awesome, maybe some L85 addon with them, tho SAS doesnt use it I guess, but it would look more than just a reskin. :P

I could have added the Uk weapons with them but didn't for that exact reason. If i was better at coding or whatever i would add the LSW to occur on say every 5th or so support gunner but im not sure that could be done. Eitherway i'll have more screenies later and some other stuff soon.

and also thanks for the kind words all. I used to be a texture artist pretty much full time so just doing some simple reskins is nice to be back in the game. Hopefully once i get 02 figured out i can get some models out there too.

Edited by Aeneas2020
spelling mistakes

I used to be a texture artist pretty much full time so just doing some simple reskins is nice to be back in the game.

Yeah when looking at those screens I was thinking either 1) did it professionally or 2) damn well ought to be. The details are superb. :D

Keep up the killer work! :icon_eek:

I've always wondered why the SAS use the M16. Is it so that they can deny any governmental allegiance? It would be hard to say it wasn't British special forces if they were using the L85. Or perhaps a different reason?

I've always wondered why the SAS use the M16. Is it so that they can deny any governmental allegiance? It would be hard to say it wasn't British special forces if they were using the L85. Or perhaps a different reason?

Couple reasons they use the M16, when it was introduced I think it was the best of what was on offer (and compared to other rifles was quite light).

Since then they have adopted the L119A1 (C8 SFW), essentially the rifle layout (the C8 and the M16) is a bit more modular than the SA80 (maybe not so much these days) but I'm sure that allows quite a it more versatility.

Although it wouldn't suprise me if the SAS do use the SA80 in some capacity.

It is slightly lighter than the L85, the sights don't shift by mild violence, and the magazine doesn't drop out of the rifle randomly. At least if you compare the M16A2 with the L85A1. ^^

It'd probably be hard to deny they were Brits anyway with their accent :P

I hear the A2 is much improved but since the last one i fired was the original type all i can go by is my experience. On a range one time (and baring in mind I fired these a lot and continue to shoot rifles regularly, so therefore know what i'm doing) i was cocking the rifle the cocking handle sheared off in my hand and half the mechanism fell out of the gun...but like i said i hear the A2 version is much improved. Other than that i always found it to be an accurate weapon.

Anyway back on topic i'll post some more stuff later.

I hear the A2 is much improved but since the last one i fired was the original type all i can go by is my experience. On a range one time (and baring in mind I fired these a lot and continue to shoot rifles regularly, so therefore know what i'm doing) i was cocking the rifle the cocking handle sheared off in my hand and half the mechanism fell out of the gun...but like i said i hear the A2 version is much improved. Other than that i always found it to be an accurate weapon.

Anyway back on topic i'll post some more stuff later.

They redid the A1 but left the designation the same when the fixed the mag drop issue so the A1 can vary quite a lot depending on which version of the A1 you end up with I reckon (although I dont know if any other changes were made at the time).

But now, I think the A2 is a damn decent piece of kit :)

British Special Forces Recon need British Special Forces Recon Beards:D Ill just throw that out there

Before the SA80 was refurbished by H&K, it used to be total, unadulterated shite. That may have played into it.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Before the SA80 was refurbished by H&K, it used to be total, unadulterated shite. That may have played into it.

There you go, such an informed source. Have you ever even touched one?

The A1 was flawed but no where near as bad as people made out. Those people that have actually used one will happily tell you horror stories. But the reality is far less dramatic. A lot of its reliability issues were down to incorrect maintenance. Usually by a ham-fisted squaddie intent on scrubbing so hard as to take the blue off the metal parts.

The Radway Green made mags were always crap, made to a price from the thinnest of metal and finished in paint intended for Airfix kits.

And the mag release catch was something competent soldiers learnt to deal with easily. Even if it was designed by a blind, one armed Enfield design engineer who's experience of firearms was limited to a 'sparkler'.

The A1 was flawed but no where near as bad as people made out. Those people that have actually used one will happily tell you horror stories. But the reality is far less dramatic. A lot of its reliability issues were down to incorrect maintenance. Usually by a ham-fisted squaddie intent on scrubbing so hard as to take the blue off the metal parts.

The Radway Green made mags were always crap, made to a price from the thinnest of metal and finished in paint intended for Airfix kits.

And the mag release catch was something competent soldiers learnt to deal with easily. Even if it was designed by a blind, one armed Enfield design engineer who's experience of firearms was limited to a 'sparkler'.

I should add that i took excellent care of mine and overall like i said it shot well and was very reliable. The issue with the A1s is they had several "weak points" if you will that would wear away from overuse...particularly the magazine catch and cocking handle. Both of which are now a lot better. It also suffered a lot in dusty and sandy conditions and the front handguard has been known to warp in extreme heat. But yes I still liked it as a weapon. Remember (and i am agreeing with your point on this) a lot of people thought the M16 was a POS when it first came out.

Nope, but I read some complaints from soldiers who had. They actually sounded like half erudite human beings, too, not the ham-fisted apes you make them out to be above. And why would H&K refurbish them unless they were in some way deficient? I'm all about nationalism, Rock, but if industry designs something that is not conducive to the needs of the end user, then something is wrong. That makes it shite. I didn't say it fell apart in people's hands, I didn't say it rusted up before your eyes. There were problems that made them a liability... but of course, that's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Thanks for illuminating me, though, you're a pal. :ok:

And I assume you have a bunch of battlefield experience with these designs?

Guest RKSL-Rock
And why would H&K refurbish them unless they were in some way deficient?

a) Because, as i said they were flawed. But not anywhere near as badly as sensationalist internet stories makes out. To be honest, having read some of them myself i seriously doubt half the authors actually used one in the field.

I read a review some time ago in a magazine about the L85. They slated it then right at the end they said "the information in this review is gathered from informed sources". They hadn't even touched one. Its all hearsay and rumour. Unless you've used one yourself how do you know if its any good? Because a mate down the pub who has a friend who read about a guy how was once a cadet who had a mate who was in the TA told him it was crap?

b) it was far cheaper to refurbish them than to replace them with either the G-36 or M4.

I'm all about nationalism, Rock, but if industry designs something that is not conducive to the needs of the end user, then something is wrong. That makes it shite. I didn't say it fell apart in people's hands, I didn't say it rusted up before your eyes. There were problems that made them a liability... but of course, that's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

WTF has this got to do with nationalism? Personally I preferred the G36. It fits my hands nicely and when at my shoulder felt far more natural than the L85 ever did. But having said that I found the L85 ridiculously easy to shoot with. Hell they even had to change the marksmanship standards because so many people were passing in the high 90s.

Thanks for illuminating me, though, you're a pal. :ok:

I always like to shine the light of truth on the uninformed.

And I assume you have a bunch of battlefield experience with these designs?

Oh yes. 9 years, on and off. Nearly all with the A1. I've had several duff magazines drop out while marching. Numerous stoppages, a broken cocking lever. I even once bent one attempting to go over a wall on exercise. So yeah I know quite a lot about the A1.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Oh yes. 9 years, on and off. Nearly all with the A1. I've had several duff magazines drop out while marching. Numerous stoppages, a broken cocking lever. I even once bent one attempting to go over a wall on exercise. So yeah I know quite a lot about the A1.

Maybe we can form a "SA80" anonymous club and share our stories lol. Regardless i think we are getting off topic here somewhat. But at least i'm glad to know im not the only one who managed to break a cocking handle off one. I never had a magazine drop though. The only other issue i had was that when i was stripping it the rear pins sheared on my one time thats about it.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Hah that makes sense! Thanks for the replies.

Well having spoken to someone in the know (ex SAS officer now working at the Imperial War Museum) the reason seems to be one of weight. The Diemaco's weight about 1/2(?) that of the SA80. They contain less parts and are less prone to dust contamination.