Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

ArmedA2 Editing/modding similar to ArmedA1?

Can't find anything so....

Just recently but quit a while before an ArmedA2 release date was announced , I downloaded and printed Mr-Murrays Editing Guide (all 300+ pages :eek:).

Will it still be relevant (ie class names , scripting etc.) with ArmedA 2? :confused:

I can't see much of it changing tbh, Even then the changes should be very small I dont think your years of learning scripts/editing etc will not go to waste in ArmA2 :)

Most likely there are just some added commands and other stuff, otherwise seems to be the same. I hope for Suma's life's sake that the game still supports sqs scripting.

I hope for my CPU's sake sqs won't be supported, seeing what most people use sqs for.

Scripting will still be similiar, except that iirc null variables will throw an error when used.

Classnames can change but i doubt they will.

I asked the same question a while ago to mr-murrays, he said that there will be an update to the Editing Guide so i assume there will be quite a few differences..

I hope for my CPU's sake sqs won't be supported, seeing what most people use sqs for.

Scripting will still be similiar, except that iirc null variables will throw an error when used.

Classnames can change but i doubt they will.

Sqs actually spares the CPU unlike sqf which hogs any resource it needs regardless of other tasks. Sqs slows down under stress but it's simple to write and keeps fps steady.

Too bad that sqs didn't get dropped, it will be still available in A2 (it's like the A20 gate ;))

In my opinion the block/scope based approach that sqf uses (like in other programming languages) is much clearer and easier to read than the line based concept of sqs.

And it doesn't "hog any resource it needs regardless of other tasks". If that happens then the person who actually wrote the script made an error.

Xeno

How does the map making process work. do you just drag a hose for instance onto the map?

Do you get catogerys where you have a list of buildings to use or do you have to construct the buildings yourself?

Is there alot of learing to do it or is it pick up and play mostly?

How does the map making process work. do you just drag a hose for instance onto the map?

Do you get catogerys where you have a list of buildings to use or do you have to construct the buildings yourself?

Is there alot of learing to do it or is it pick up and play mostly?

If you mean missions, you place units, triggers and waypoints into a preconstructed world in the editor. If you mean the island/map itself, you don't have to model anything, just form and texture the terrain and place objects there. It's quite time-consuming though.

Ah! I see. I take it you cant model a battleground on where I live?

Ah! I see. I take it you cant model a battleground on where I live?

I guess it's possible to get a height map from the area (if it's available somewhere) but all the texture refining and tree and building placement is up to you, which is a huge amount of work especially if you want it to be detailed.

There is such a plethora of various ArmA units' and unit replacements' addons. Will ArmA2 be able to except them as they are, straight from ArmA1 or extensive modifications and re-modelling will be needed?

it would be good if someone official commented on these points.

marek and ivan (in their respective interviews around GC08) said that if a model is made properly, it can be dragged and dropped, or just needs new shader layers or something (and probably just some config tweaking for weapons, and vehicle crews and such).

marek also said the best way to learn to mod for Arma II is to mod for arma 1

just look up the GC08 vids on youtube or the interview with ivan bucha

Aren't they suppose to be adding in a form of 3D placement? Not so much the "Place the unit, click preview, end, relaunch and move him a centimeter".

I thought they were adding in some sort of real time editor or something of the sort...I guess its just a dream I have they would bring from VBS2...

yeah there is supposed to be a 3d editor inside the mission editor where you can move objects in a 3d view and not only the 2d map view :)

There is I think. In the russian preview video they show how they move buildings around, rotate them and place them (buildings? :O) although I wasn't exactly sure if that was the editor or not. But then I have no clue what else it'd be.

The warfare mission, where what you see is already possible in arma, in a more simplified manner, meaning that there is a top down view only.

About sqs and sqf:

In my experience sqf is much more performing than sqs. Of course if you wanted to execute something only once and for a certain time (like a camscript) sqs sure has its use.

just one thing i like to know is will it be possible to do port overs of some of the addons from ArmA 2 to ArmA we have been told that it will be possible to port ArmA stuff to ArmA 2

obviously some changes were made. Ports over would need to address the class name changes (here is a list of classnames for AA2, courtesy to Wolle), as well as new config entries.

Model wise, it is unknown at the time, but i am sure more information and eventually mlods(as well as editing/modeling tools) are gonna be released.

Some functions have been added and changed scriptwise, you can find some community findings here

Sqs actually spares the CPU unlike sqf which hogs any resource it needs regardless of other tasks. Sqs slows down under stress but it's simple to write and keeps fps steady.

Thats just a myth.

Sqs and Sqf are just two different formats. It's how you execute those files that dictates how much cpu resource is taken up. You can bring Arma to it's knees with sqs just as easily.

Sqf is more flexible. Sqs is just old.

Hi, have someone try if the ArmA custom faces work in the ArmA2?. Let's C ya

Can someone mod the ArmA1 black BH into ArmA2 plz?:)

Doesn't look like much has to change.

Forum friend placed my released Sparviero Hydrofoil into his ArmA2 and it worked fine except for 1 texture warning (lol and I only did use just 1 texture reference to ArmA1 resources! )

Pretty good considering I have some funky animation defined in the ship, like gun recoil, tilt-back correction and speed raising it out of the water.

Checked the ArmA2 config dump .... we have custom particle effects for Missiles YEEHHAAA ! ! !

i have 2 questions. are land vehicles now able to drive faster than 120 km/h without a script?? and can you affect the acceleration now in the config??