Sign in to follow this  
granQ

How will the cattle lights effect NVG?

Hi.

Just had a look on a beta video of ArmA2, while cattle lights isn't a problem during day and won't really have an impact on gameplay I don't care so much.. but what happens at night? Will cows affect the NVG's?

glowing_cows.JPG

Edited by granQ
Fixed image.

Sun is up at daytime and have an effect on light colours - like in real life - even though games tend to over do it.

But at night the sun is gone and that problem shouldnt be there.

cattle lights

I LOL'd. :D

Cattle do seem to be a bit "over-reflective", but it's not like they'll glow in the dark.

yeah......I'd have to agree with the term "cattle lights", No idea why they were made reflective??

It's just a very hazy, bright day.. With genetically enhanced, 'safety-strip' cows. better for night driving on the winding chernarus roads. lol.

Doesn't bother me much, but when in an isolated thread, they're a pretty bright subject.

Hi all

There were similar shine problems with helmets and helicopters in ArmA I they got solved before release. Just needs a texture change, after all the black does not shine. ;) The white just needs to be a touch less briliant white and more matt white.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I can imagine a plane trying to make a night time landing...

"I can see the runway lights but... oh my god, they're moving! Where's the runway? Arrrgh, those aren't lights! They're cows! Mayday! Mayday!"

I can imagine a plane trying to make a night time landing...

"I can see the runway lights but... oh my god, they're moving! Where's the runway? Arrrgh, those aren't lights! They're cows! Mayday! Mayday!"

Hi all

MadDogX has discovered Bin Laden's next plan!

Seriously I think BIS know about it and will fix it.

Kind regards walker

Maybe Chernarus has some defect nuclear power plant... called Chernabyl or something like that.:cc:

i can imagine a plane trying to make a night time landing...

"i can see the runway lights but... Oh my god, they're moving! Where's the runway? Arrrgh, those aren't lights! They're cows! Mayday! Mayday!"

lol! :)

You can always do a runway overshoot, pitch back and bomb the hell out of the them!

Edited by wombateer
spelling!

Hi, while the cows skin, the sky, and some other things shine in a preternatural way... there

you've the poor grunts without working "Cat Eyes" wearing instead what look like as cookies

in the helmet; "a survival technic" i guess. The cows seem to have better IFF pannels than

the soldiers. Good job by BIS on the HDR. HOLY COW!!. Let's C ya

Slightly off topic but i hope their eyes glow in the dark, seriously though, if two cows stand close together at night, they'll look like the headlights of a truck and get AT4'd

Slightly off topic but i hope their eyes glow in the dark, seriously though, if two cows stand close together at night, they'll look like the headlights of a truck and get AT4'd

Hahahahaha, that would be awesome, I highly doubt any of the animals have reflective eyes though, would be very cool though :)

Seriously I think BIS know about it and will fix it.

isn't that what always is said about everything? ;)

Edited by granQ
My bad grammar..

It looks like the bloom's getting rendered from the lightness value of the diffuse/colour map instead of a specular map, which is common for xbox games because its cheaper, but i'd be suprised if they're doing this for PC.

A Solution could be to just get rid of black and white cows altogether, use only black cows or brown cows.

Edited by mikebart

I think they just need to finish up some shaders for fur. It's probably an incomplete effect. That's kind of a neat concept, though. On a moonlit night, surround your guerrilla compound with cows so that specops with their fancy NVGs are blinded.

well comparing the NVGs from the press edition, and the recent footage from Dyslexi's vids, i think it is safe to say the NV is improved some, and is shiny cow proof ;)

but honestly i dont think the cows are terribly important

Hahahahaha, that would be awesome, I highly doubt any of the animals have reflective eyes though, would be very cool though :)

I can see people freaking out online :D

I hope BIS fix this overblooming thing. The idea of it is that an area around something bright get enlighted.

Blooming is like a shortcut, putting a layer around the bright area to create that effect. But whats wrong this is that its looks like the transparent air gets brighter, which don't happends in reality. Some dust particles can get brighter but not the air. So in that cow photo the grass and the black spots on the cow should get a brighter tone.

That maybe needs some more programming, but it will look more nice.

I think it is an HDR effect, or 'counter'-effect. When an extremely white surface reflects sunlight, it becomes brighter than white. Instead of making HDR shading the rest of the image darker to compensate, blooming is added instead. That way it 'appears' brighter than white. But in this case I think it fails badly.

It will work good on bright apertures from an indoor environment, or on shiny metallic surfaces (which there shuldn't be much of at least not on painted military vehicles). But for fur and human skin? Ugh...

Can skin and fur shaders (or screen shader?) be made to not include these surfaces? Not sure how it would look like if a neighbouring surface causes the effect.

But "cattle lights", hehehe :)

Edit: Btw, blooming is not a fake CGI effect. It's the real thing. Unless you tonemap a HDR image (too expensive for realtime applications), you will get either blooming/leakage from bright exposures onto nearby dark ones, or no blooming and too dark/black ones, for a given scene containing too much dynamic range. A camera is more sensitive to this than your eyes, but it can also happen for regular eyesight. Try to look through a treecrown into the sun and see if you can see the leaf egdes.

How well this is done, can be subject to discussion though, I agree.

Edited by CarlGustaffa