Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Ouch this game.

The multiplayer gamemodes are horribly dated and playing them over and over again, with the same tactics every round (because spawn locations are always the same), in only a handful of maps, is plain boring. Other gamemodes have been suggested but TW stuck with the same old same old stuff we played a thousand times already in other games even.

I can't be bothered with this game anymore. Might take a look at the mods but even those are very likely based on the same tired gamemodes, just with new content.

Sure i believe and respect all the 'realisticly' modeled UTYRT22743's and weapons and what have you, but if they go for the fixed locations attack defend stuff again, it's on the road to boring. No replay value. Just the same patterns.

A PC gamer interview with Tripwire

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/

Gibson: When I was developing Action Mode [for RO2], I got a group of people that I know that are pretty hardcore Call of Duty players. And my goal was to create something that was accessible enough for them to enjoy the game—not turn it into Call of Duty, but try to make something that I thought was casual enough but with the Red Orchestra gameplay style that they would enjoy. And we iterated on it a lot. And just listening to all the niggling, pedantic things that they would complain about, that made them not want to play the game, I just thought, “I give up. Call of Duty has ruined this whole generation of gamers.â€

What did they complain about?

Gibson: It’s the gameplay mechanics that they become used to. The way that players instantly accelerate when they move, they don’t build up speed. “The weapons really don’t have a lot of power†[in RO2]. They’re all very weak. The way they handle… They’re like: “I hate Red Orchestra, I can’t play it.†Well, why? “Because the guy doesn’t move like he does in Call of Duty. Call of Duty has great movement.†Why is it great? “Because it just is, I just like the way it works.†So you don’t like the momentum system in Red Orchestra? “Yeah, it sucks, it’s clunky, it’s terrible.†Well, why? “It’s just because I’m used to this.â€

Replace Red Orchestra with ArmA and Call of Duty with Battlefield and it's like an instant deja vu :rolleyes:

@Rising Storm:

Better Quality: http://vimeo.com/62677625

@RO2:

Maps that will be "officialized" by TWI (dunno if its good or bad news :p)

The first ones scheduled for release are:

Arad 2 Tanks

Stalingrad Kessel

Rakowice

Winterwald

There will be a second pack with the other 3 contest maps (Bridges, Cold Steel and Gumrak) to follow later.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1194431

Played in some of these, nice maps. Red Assault and Climb Up are also very good.

Some pics:

I will definitely reinstall RO2 to try this. I watch a bit of a steam last night and it seems good to play.

Have been playing abit of RO2 on US servers again lately. I'm looking forward to the expansion.

I will definitely reinstall RO2 to try this

You guys are real silly, reinstall Ro2.

here I am longtime fan who played RO since its birth as a mod, lead a clan, and 2 realism units back in the day,

and then wanted to play RO2 but i couldn't meet the requirements, nor would the game even start and still unable to upgrade to get it, must be nice.

No, I stopped trying last year, and my CPu is the issue, I have uninstalled it since then as I cannot play it til i upgrade which i have no money for.

No Ro2, no Arma3, sigh... I'm lucky I can play anything, must be nice for you guys, as i been stuck with the same computer for the past 5 years or less,

only thing different is a better gpu, and PSU.

For me to upgrade I need a whole new motherboard, new ram, and new cpu, plus to run Arma3 alpha I need win7 which I do not have

I been running with winxp for like... ever.

And now a 780mb update that adds 4 "new" maps:

Now that the $35,000 Counterattack Mapping Contest for Red Orchestra 2 has concluded and helped us find the best community made maps on Steam Workshop, Tripwire Interactive has worked with the original map makers to polish them up and add them into the game as Official Custom Maps. Today we are releasing four of those maps for Red Orchestra 2 completely free - they will be automatically added to your game through Steam. And, to make sure that everyone gets a chance to try them out, we're making Red Orchestra 2 free to play for the weekend (Thu 4 Apr through Sun 7 Apr). Just head for Steam, download the game and play.

These are some of the best maps you'll see - adding some great new gameplay. All are included for free for everyone who owns the game. Don't forget there are more great community maps and content on Steam Workshop, so head on over there now! We've also got a trailer for the pack - with the content produced by the community, to show off what they enjoy! You can view it on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/63339846) or Youtube (

)

The first Counterattack Map Contest Pack contains the following new maps:

• Winterwald - the wintry map that won the contest outright; Germans attacking a Russian hill-top position through the trees and snow.
  • Arad 2 Tanks - the classic Red Orchestra "Arad" map brought forward into Red Orchestra 2; now a warm, sunny environment for some serious tank-to-tank combat.
  • Rakowice - another classic Red Orchestra map, updated for the new generation; Russians assaulting the ruins of a German-held airfield in Poland.
  • Stalingrad Kessel - one of the most loved RO maps, created in the original mod, reproduced in the first Red Orchestra game and now brought forward into its latest incarnation!

During the free weekend, the game, the digital deluxe upgrade (hint, hint, bundle buyers) and the Tripwire Bundle have been reduced 85% of Steam.

Free Weekend, almost free game and a trailer for the maps:

I miss Koningsplatz. That was one of the very best combined arms map from RO1.

I miss Koningsplatz. That was one of the very best combined arms map from RO1.

maybe someone redo it, with actually all the buildings and all floors enterable :)

I don't understand why TWI choose to put so many "Official Action" servers when the Humble Bundle got up. It would have been better if they had more Official Realism server to show some features that other FPS doesn't have, like freeaim and stuff. The Action thing only made new people get the same COD feel and then they didn't try the game to the full potential as they could.

Someone took a screenshot and uploaded it on TWI BOARD..... Anyone know if its true?

ZMiEWLN.jpg

Edited by Cyper

Looks like proper TWI ingenuity, they seem to like LSD in their coffee alot.

They are trying pretty hard to shoot themselfs in the feet, huh?

AGAIN!

Edited by Smurf

Well, turns out it isn't that bad:

The idea behind the Game Mode Filtering (or as we call it the Accessibility Path) is that new players coming into the game start out playing with other players of similar experience levels and get exposed to the more accessible game modes and game types before graduating on to the more advanced game modes and game types.(...)

Existing RO2 Players Will Open All Modes Immediately: The game looks at either your RO2 or RS honor (which are separate) and takes whichever is higher. So as long as you've played a few rounds of RO2 already, everything will be open for you instantly anyway.

I'm fine with that, and makes sense. The whole thing is here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=90010

Yeah, I was just about to post Ramms post.

Still, I don't quite understand it.

The point is to force new player's to start in a more easy mode and at the same time avoiding that they become slaughtered by the experienced players. Thing is, how many experienced players play Action Mode? I doubt any experienced players play action mode. If there is, that can't be many. Most people seem to despise action mode, especially the RO VETS. When the free weekend is over the same thing happens all the time: Action Mode is more or less dead. I am not sure that this will keep new players in the game. What if they leave even faster? Now new players can't play Realism Mode or Classic Mode from start, and if they want to play any custom mode, they can't do that either until they have unlocked the mode. In my opinion it just sounds terrible. Imagine if you were forced to play arma on easy mode and then gain XP to unlock ''custom mode'', or in ARMA's case, you would have to unlock the ability to play any modded or otherwise customized server. I feels like the game is getting even more segregated than before.

Well, maybe I am wrong.... We'll see how it all sorts out. Would be interesting to hear anyone else's opinion about this.

EDIT: I wonder why they removed Practise Mode from RO OST and replaced it with a worthless Campaign mode instead of improving practise mode into a proper tutorial? Because right now there is no real tutorials.

Once a screen pop up saying that they "unlocked" a new gamemode they'll probably try that. They grew up with this unlock thing, can only mean good things to them :D

Still trying to get my hands on a beta key to test it out, some say that is sginificantly diferent from RO2, gameplay refined and all that. Not sure about it yet....

The problem is that people playing arcade mode will play nothing but it and then when they unlock harder modes they will just flood in there. How's that a solution?

The problem is that people playing arcade mode will play nothing but it and then when they unlock harder modes they will just flood in there. How's that a solution?

It may work like any semi sim race out there: You start with some assistances like ABS, ESP, racing lines, brake assistance, etc. As you get better at iy (and want a greater challenge) you turn them off and adapt to it.

If they want to stay in action mode (or play like they were on it), their problem. Won't see the core of the game.

It's kinda impossible to get a key via their Steam Group :/

Keep watching these too if you want:

https://www.facebook.com/RisingStormGame?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/TripwireInt

It's kinda impossible to get a key via their Steam Group :/

Is it?

2013-05-11_00004.jpg

2013-05-11_00001.jpg

2013-05-12_00001.jpg

2013-05-11_00009.jpg

Out of the 4 people I know who were actively trying to get a key, 3 have been successful in getting one so far... myself included. (and the one who hasn't, really hasn't been trying all that much)

It's a very fun game so far, somewhat frustrating at times though. Knee mortars really need to be taken down a notch... :mad: