Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

wow quad SLI! are you the guy who posted the video of like 100 fighter jets on youtube, lol that was awesome.

wow quad SLI! are you the guy who posted the video of like 100 fighter jets on youtube, lol that was awesome.

Nah, haven't made any Arma II video's yet. I guess I should look into that tho, having the video power I have I may be able to record great stuff in HD. Anyways trust me I didn't pay what anyone may think for my two 295's, a friend bought them, and then had a very, very serious cash crunch (property tax!) and so he called me and offered them at not much more than half price, still in the box, unopened. Couldn't pass it up, it inspired my new build, which is in my sig. No way I'd ever drop two grand on video cards, I'd invest that into my Terminator.

yeah you should make some really crazy stuff in mission editor and post the results, you are in position to really show what arma 2 can be capable of you should show it off!

this is the vid i was talking about btw --

I bought ArmA 2 yesterday without really knowing anything about the game and without making sure my PC was compatible. I was in a bit of a hurry. I loaded the game with ease and it was all good until the main menu started and it was downhill from there. No matter what I do, everything has trouble rendering, everything is very choppy, graphics pop in and out along with it being super laggy. I'm afraid my pc just cant handle it and I've wasted money on, what looks to be an awesome game. Here is some info from my Gateway.

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gateway

System Model: M-7301U

BIOS: Rev 1.0

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4024MB RAM

Page File: 1632MB used, 6606MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

Can anyone help me. Is there a way I can buy something that will fix this?

Can't say much because we don't know the model of your graphics card. The main bottlenecks of the game are CPU, memory and hard drive and at least your CPU is a bit outdated. A change from dual to quad core makes a big difference.

Hi and welcome Snyderje,

Sorry, but there is no way to run ARMA2 on a laptop unless its a high end gaming laptop. (even then it will not run at high gfx levels)

You will need a dual core 3GHz + or preferably a quad core CPU

You will need something like NVidia GTX280 or ATI HD4870. (should have 1Gb ram onboard)

What you can do to try and improve things on your laptop is make sure your Harddrive is defragged. The Windows one is not very good. I'd suggest "Ultimate Defrag"

http://download.cnet.com/UltimateDefrag-Freeware-Edition/3000-2094_4-10582157.html

In options you can specify to put ARMA2 in the high performance part of the disk (Outer part)

Edited by EDcase

oops!! your pc is a laptop!!! and it has an integrated intel graphics chip!! ouch. I'm sorry to say that there is little you can do. Arma, like most high end games is a very demanding game. You will need a new pc if you want to run those kind of games smoothly.

Try what EDcase suggested (defrag the hard drive), that will improve the performance a little bit.

hey,

I know absolutely nothing about computers but I do know I need a new one to play ARMA 2. I went on the HP website and found this one http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06a/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-3942799.html (click on the specifications tab on the link to find the specifications). Will this play ARMA 2 and if so, at what level? Im short on money at the moment so I cant really buy a very expensive one.

Cheers

hey,

I know absolutely nothing about computers but I do know I need a new one to play ARMA 2. I went on the HP website and found this one http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06a/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-3942799.html (click on the specifications tab on the link to find the specifications). Will this play ARMA 2 and if so, at what level? Im short on money at the moment so I cant really buy a very expensive one.

Cheers

Eh, no. You'd need to add a graphics card.....if one would fit

I bought ArmA 2 yesterday without really knowing anything about the game and without making sure my PC was compatible. I was in a bit of a hurry. I loaded the game with ease and it was all good until the main menu started and it was downhill from there. No matter what I do, everything has trouble rendering, everything is very choppy, graphics pop in and out along with it being super laggy. I'm afraid my pc just cant handle it and I've wasted money on, what looks to be an awesome game. Here is some info from my Gateway.

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gateway

System Model: M-7301U

BIOS: Rev 1.0

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4024MB RAM

Page File: 1632MB used, 6606MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

Can anyone help me. Is there a way I can buy something that will fix this?

Sorry there's absolutely no way you can run this game, even if you turned every option to low or disabled, at the lowest resolution possible. It's tougher for notebooks in general to run high end games. You have plenty of Ram, but your Cpu is pretty much the worst of all dual core Cpu's, and what's worse the speed is extremely low. And as said above, you have no real video card, which is "required".

It really sucks, maybe you have a household PC that's somewhat modern that you can slap a decent video card in, ATI 4870/ Nvidia GTX 260, with 4870's as low as $100 and the GTX 260 as cheap as $140.

Otherwise you're out of luck, until you buy/build your next PC.

After making a thread and getting shot down i'll post this here and hope someone can answer my plight..

Hello folks,

I've just managed to finally bag a cheap copy of Arma 2 off ebay (£13.09p) after stalking so many sellers and being too skint to pay the full £25 in gamestation (Just dont tell the missus I bought it at all or i'll never live it down..)

Now while timmy is hopefully packing up my game and sending it off before the postal strike hits I was wondering if you helpful monkeys could give me any indication as to what it will run like on my old faithful crud PC?

Specs -

AMD 64 single core 4000+ running at 2.4

2 gigs of DDR ram 400Mhz

8800 GTS running the latest drivers

It is quite a basic machine that I built when I had the money way back when and I know in the back of my tiny mind that it wont run the game too well but am I facing an fps nightmare with this? I'll slog on regardless as I do like me military sims but was just wondering what i'm getting myself into..

Hi, Bush here again.

I went to PC world And showed the guy there the system specs necessary for ARMA2. He said this was my best bet for my budget.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1342663680.1255964339@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjadeiikkhflkcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&category_oid=-35410&sku=485916&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

Advent PQG-9002 - High performance PC

Processor Type AMD Phenom X4

Operating-System Windows Vista. Home Premium

Cache 2 MB

Clock-Speed 1.83GHz

RAM Memory 4096 MB

Hard Disk Capacity 640 GB

Optical Drive 1 DVD Rewriter

Optical Drive 2 N/A

Plug In Removable Hard Drive NO

Graphics Memory 512 MB The higher the memory the better quality images you are display

Graphics Description ATI Radeon HD4350

Sound Card Onboard The quality of the sound generated by the PC will depend on how powerful the sound card is and the quality of the speakers

Soundcard included YES

Just wanted a second opinion. Cheers

Edited by Bushwaakka

After making a thread and getting shot down i'll post this here and hope someone can answer my plight..

Hello folks,

I've just managed to finally bag a cheap copy of Arma 2 off ebay (£13.09p) after stalking so many sellers and being too skint to pay the full £25 in gamestation (Just dont tell the missus I bought it at all or i'll never live it down..)

Now while timmy is hopefully packing up my game and sending it off before the postal strike hits I was wondering if you helpful monkeys could give me any indication as to what it will run like on my old faithful crud PC?

Specs -

2 gigs of DDR ram 400Mhz

It is quite a basic machine that I built when I had the money way back when and I know in the back of my tiny mind that it wont run the game too well but am I facing an fps nightmare with this? I'll slog on regardless as I do like me military sims but was just wondering what i'm getting myself into..

This game is as much CPU intensive as it is GPU intensive.

That single core is going to die bottlenecking the rest of your PC. Your GFX card and RAM should be ok for low to medium settings however.

Hello folks,

Specs -

2 gigs of DDR ram 400Mhz

I am running that same setup except with an 8600GT. And I have OCed to 2.7. With settings at low I get 30/40fps in the open and 20s in the woods on single player. Multiplayer cuts that all in half which I don't understand. Is the added network processing really taking up enough CPU to cut fps in half? Or are the online games somehow larger or more complex? Anyhow it is still playable and fun with that setup. You won't get all the eye candy but it works.

Hey guys, I'd love to get Arma 2, but I'm at college and am not sure if it will be playable on my computer. I have a new MacBook (the newest model), and the specs are:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB DDR3

Graphics Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

I would obviously be running on Windows via BootCamp, and I have Windows XP professional (32 bit). Thanks for your help!

The following is my computer specs.

Can anyone check whether i can play well Arma2 with that specs?

If it is not enough to play, what do i need to upgrade? Thanks All

BIOS : Default System BIOS

Processor : Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory : 3326MB RAM

Page File : 1622 MB used, 5222MB Available

DirectX Version : DirectX 10

Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512MB

Approx. Total Memory : 1905 MB

i dunno, i would be worried about the CPU, but the easy answer is always DL the demo and see how it runs.

and sorry tcraig but i would NOT want to run arma 2 on a macbook.

The following is my computer specs.

Can anyone check whether i can play well Arma2 with that specs?

If it is not enough to play, what do i need to upgrade? Thanks All

BIOS : Default System BIOS

Processor : Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory : 3326MB RAM

Page File : 1622 MB used, 5222MB Available

DirectX Version : DirectX 10

Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512MB

Approx. Total Memory : 1905 MB

You'll be fine except for the video card. The 9500 GT (whether GDDR2 or GDDR3 version) can run the game at low settings and view distance, but you may still have some framerate problems. My previous card (Radeon HD 2600 XT) should be roughly comparable to yours, and in the demo I was getting something like 20 FPS with Shadows, AA, and Anisotropic Filtering turned off, and most settings on low/medium. 'Course, your CPU is superior to mine, so you might fare a little better.

It'd be worth getting the demo and seeing if it performs acceptably to you. My current HD 4850 handles the game fairly well (CPU is the main limiting factor in my case), and they can be had for ~$100 USD now; if you'd prefer an nVIDIA card, something like the GTS 250 or 9800 GTX should be roughly comparable I think.

Hello.

I am getting new GPU in few months, and I would like to hear you'r opinnion which one is better: AtiRadeon HD 4890, or 5850. Both by Saphire.

My current rig:

Asus Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz

2Gb RAM

I run chernarus... well thats it, I cant run it with playable graphs, I am atm using CAA1 islands, since I can run them with some shadows. I have AA disabled, PP disabled and Anistrophic Filtering disabled.

can you please tell me if/how well this would run it?

Advent PQG-9002 - High performance PC with ATI Radeon graphics

AMD Phenom X4 9150e

(1.8GHz, 2MB Cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

4GB DDR2 memory

640GB hard drive

512MB ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics

Dual Layer DVD Rewriter

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1665433037.1256073519@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjadeijddhdhlcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&category_oid=-35410&sku=485916&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

If that wont run it will this?

ADVENT QC8003 Refurbished PC Base Unit

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor

(2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)

8GB DDR2 memory

1TB SATA hard drive

Blu-Ray player and DVD Rewriter

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce 9600GT graphics

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1583672099.1256073555@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccefadeiilgeffmcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&category_oid=&sku=190752&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

Hi, Bush here again.

I went to PC world And showed the guy there the system specs necessary for ARMA2. He said this was my best bet for my budget.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1342663680.1255964339@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjadeiikkhflkcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&category_oid=-35410&sku=485916&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

Advent PQG-9002 - High performance PC

Processor Type AMD Phenom X4

Operating-System Windows Vista. Home Premium

Cache 2 MB

Clock-Speed 1.83GHz

RAM Memory 4096 MB

Hard Disk Capacity 640 GB

Optical Drive 1 DVD Rewriter

Optical Drive 2 N/A

Plug In Removable Hard Drive NO

Graphics Memory 512 MB The higher the memory the better quality images you are display

Graphics Description ATI Radeon HD4350

Sound Card Onboard The quality of the sound generated by the PC will depend on how powerful the sound card is and the quality of the speakers

Soundcard included YES

Just wanted a second opinion. Cheers

Sorry absolutely no way that video card is gonna run the game, not even in the losest settings, lowest resolution. Cpu is okay, quad cores helps, but it's a bit slow, about the slowest of all Quads, rather modern Cpu's period.

If you can build, you can do much better..... If you want advice post or PM.

can you please tell me if/how well this would run it?

Advent PQG-9002 - High performance PC with ATI Radeon graphics

AMD Phenom X4 9150e

(1.8GHz, 2MB Cache)

4GB DDR2 memory

640GB hard drive

512MB ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics

Dual Layer DVD Rewriter

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1665433037.1256073519@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjadeijddhdhlcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&category_oid=-35410&sku=485916&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

Nope, for the same reason I posted for the above PC you listed.

If that wont run it will this?

ADVENT QC8003 Refurbished PC Base Unit

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor

(2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)

8GB DDR2 memory

1TB SATA hard drive

Blu-Ray player and DVD Rewriter

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce 9600GT graphics

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1583672099.1256073555@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccefadeiilgeffmcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&category_oid=&sku=190752&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

This PC will run it. The 9600GT is about as fast as a 8800GT, just uses less power and makes a hell of a lot less heat. The Cpu is better than all the others, not just the speed but the front side bus and cache. I don't know what resolution you plan on running, but I wouldn't recommend higher than 1280x800/1280x960 if widescreen, if standard 4:3 no higher than 1280x1024. Antialiasing (AA) disabled, Anisotropic Filtering (AF) no higher than 4X. Post processing low or disabled. Experiment with everything else, but you won't be able to use any setting higher than medium, and you may be forced to use low on some. Shadows require a lot of shading power, I'd keep that on low, but this will really hurt the graphics. If you can run it on medium it will look pretty good.

Edited by Rhammstein

It seems that many of the threads here are dedicated towards improving the system IO in order for the game to run smoother with less stutter. However, from what I noticed, there are still major slowdowns during big firefights with several AIs on the screen.

For example, I created a "take the hill" mission on a remote area of the map wayyy up north. I made 6 squad vs 12 squad scenario and when the firefight starts, everything becomes a slideshow. Is this a system limitation or IO bottleneck? My system spec are the following:

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6Ghz

4GB RAM

Radeon 5870 crossfire

Game is loaded on a 15000RPM SCSI Drive (seagate 15K.5) with swap file on a different HD.

How do you reckon mine should run it?

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 overlocked to 3.0Ghz

Motherboard- Asus p5q PRO

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5

RAM - 2 X 2 Crucial 800mhz (4GB)

Hard Drive - 500gb

Resoultion - 1028X1024

OS - Windows Vista 32Bit ( But tomorrow it will be Windows 7 64Bit)

How do you reckon mine should run it?

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 overlocked to 3.0Ghz

Motherboard- Asus p5q PRO

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5

RAM - 2 X 2 Crucial 800mhz (4GB)

Hard Drive - 500gb

Resoultion - 1028X1024

OS - Windows Vista 32Bit ( But tomorrow it will be Windows 7 64Bit)

I would say you should be able to run it decently.

I got a Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz

1.5GB RAM

7600GT Graphics

and I just downloaded the demo version thinking I will never be able to play it even on the lowest settings (but thgt i would give it a shot), and suprisingly it works on low settings (not very low settings) a bit blurry but playable

am not really into games that much so I wouldnt upgrade my system for a game