Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

theres a whole thread on that i believe. but i heard that the retail version runs smoother

Possibility 1

A64x2 5200+

9600GSO

4GB DDR2 800

Possibility 2

A64x2 5200+

2 9600GSO's in SLI

4GB DDR2 800

What would the FPS be, and would there be a difference in FPS @ 1680x1050?

*Found ASUS 9600gso's for $35.00!

Even for the ludicrously good price, I wouldn't bother with SLI. It just seems to cause more hassle than it's worth. Also, to support two cards, you'd need good cooling and possibly a new PSU.

Even for the ludicrously good price, I wouldn't bother with SLI. It just seems to cause more hassle than it's worth. Also, to support two cards, you'd need good cooling and possibly a new PSU.

If UPS would ever show up, I will have that (cooling and power) covered. I bought an Antec Three Hundred case and an Antec Earthwatts 650w PSU. Are we lookin' at like 5 fps gain or something?

Also, what kind of a performance will I get with the single card setup?

My specs are as follows -

2.7GHz Athlon X2 (I think it's the 5200+, can't remember)

4GB DDR2 800MHz

9600GT (Would only be somewhat faster than the GSO)

Windows 7 64-bit

I don't know exact frames, but at high details at a resolution of about 1280x1024, the game runs fine. Sometimes it slows down a bit, but I've never had a situation where it became unplayable.

As for SLI, I'd rather spend the extra money on a faster card like a 9800GT or something along those lines which will give you a definite improvement.

Buy one HD 4850 for $100 or so, and you will get decent performace without stuffing aorund with SLI that may or may not work.

Or get a GF250.

@Maddmatt & Telejunky, thanks for your advise on video cards. I've scrapped the idea of the 9800gt now and am considering either the HD4850 or the 250GTS.

Both are not much more in price than the 9800GT I was looking at, but appear considerably better in performance.

Another question to the group, If I was to upgrade my CPU:

I currently have an Athlon X2 3000MHz (6000+) AM2.

I can upgrade to a Phenom X4 9650 2300MHz AM2+ without needing to change my motherboard, RAM, etc. And the Phenom X4 9650 is the right price.

Will there be enough performance improvement in ArmA2 and other games from the X2 to the X4 to justify the cpu upgrade?

Or are they roughly even in terms of gaming, as such not worth spending the money?

Hi Skaircro

No problem :) But you got an AM2 board. Mmh But i remember that the Phenom I was bad comparing performance/watt.

I would rather say that you buy an AM2+ Board and an AM3 Cpu like the Phenom II 945 (TDP only 95W). Then you don't have to buy new RAM.

For Example: My mATX MSI K9A2VM-F2 cost only 50€. And thanks to AMD that AM3 Phenoms are working on both Am2+ and Am3 boards, it held its value very good in future and the performance is the needed for ArmA2. If you sell your mainboard on ebay you will only pay 25€ in the end for a new mainboard :)

Hi Skaircro

No problem :) But you got an AM2 board. Mmh But i remember that the Phenom I was bad comparing performance/watt.

I would rather say that you buy an AM2+ Board and an AM3 Cpu like the Phenom II 945 (TDP only 95W). Then you don't have to buy new RAM.

For Example: My mATX MSI K9A2VM-F2 cost only 50€. And thanks to AMD that AM3 Phenoms are working on both Am2+ and Am3 boards, it held its value very good in future and the performance is the needed for ArmA2. If you sell your mainboard on ebay you will only pay 25€ in the end for a new mainboard :)

+1 He makes a very good point, take his advice.

Hi Skaircro

Thanks again Telejunky.

The motherboard I have (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe) was an AM2 board but it will take AM2+ as well. I don't think it will take AM3 though.

The Phenom II 945 does seem better but is ~AU$130 more than the Phenom 9650. Sadly that is way more than what I wanted to spend. :(

For now I think I will just go ahead with the video card upgrade.

I'll keep an eye on CPU prices, but I'm not likely to upgrade the rest for another 12 months or so.

I really need to save as much money as I can for my new motorbike! :)

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]

6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

GeForce 9600 GT 1GB

How will those specs hold up to ArmA2?

Well enough, I play with a 9600GT and whilst it gets a bit choppy sometimes, it has never become outright unplayable. CPU should be good to go too.

Edited by echo1

Off the top of my head - High, 1280x1024, something like 1.5-2.0km.

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Processor Q9550 (2.83Ghz, 1333MHz FSB, 12MB cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Hard Drive 1TB NCQ SATA (2x500GB) 7200Rpm Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe

Single 1GB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ GTX285 graphics card

PCI Card Ageia PhysX 128MB

Will my PC run it? if so at what options, ultra/high/medium/low for each one?

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

OMG, ITS THE HOLY GRAIL!!

Most settings on high, possibly just one or two on medium to save a few frames, online you'll want a decent frame rate more so than offline. Just be sure to set your video memory option to very high. I had problems with a 1GB card if I didn't do it.

how will this pc do?

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2,93GHz

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2GB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB

Gainward GeForce 9800GT

vista home premium

I would get faster ram (+pc6400), better gfx card and different OS, if possible.

the nvidia gtx 200 series is a large progression from that 9800, IMO.

GTX 260 vs 9800 GX2 vs 9800GTX SLI

Armed Assault 2: Graphics card benchmarks and visual quality compared

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

no to complain or anything, but i was asking how my pc would run arma 2( if it would at all) not what i should upgrade.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2,93GHz

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2GB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB

Gainward GeForce 9800GT

vista home premium

no to complain or anything, but i was asking how my pc would run arma 2( if it would at all) not what i should upgrade.

yeah it will run the game fine. you will have to lower your settings to gain performance, where I do not have to.