Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

or there is the new AMD X4 620 which costs about the same when a new motherboard is added (assuming all other elements can be used).

Depends on the motherboard... Good Intel ones are much pricier than good AMD ones...

Depends on the motherboard... Good Intel ones are much pricier than good AMD ones...

Thanks. An AMD board plus a 620 quad is about half the cost of an Intel quad and mobo. I think the question is whether a 3Ghz AMD quad is better/worse for the game than a higher clocked C2D (ie mine is at 3.7Ghz) on an older motherboard. I think Sumas pre-release post said that dual vs quad depends on the mission complexity, but I wonder if there is any knowledge or experience confirming the best route, especiually given we are at three patches now. A newer board may also offer Crossfire, PCIe 2.0 and DDR3 memory, which combined could outweigh the benefit of a higher clock ? I have not seen anything confirming Arma makes full use of quads, but more game releases are looking for the extra cores.

Decisions, decisions . . .

PS Oh, and there is the little matter of Win 7.

Yes indeed! Win 7 is out next week and I shall hopefully get my copy. I'm going to put the 64 bit version on an ssd and see how ArmA2 runs. I can't believe that there will be any benefits, but i don't mind as the game runs great for me.

cjph imo a quad would be much better. i was wondering how much cpu this game was using because ive heard it was intensive and tho i couldnt run it in windowed mode i did alt-tab to my desktop & the cpu meter was at over 70% (& fell to zero in about 2/10ths of a second so it could be using all cores for all i know)

i would get the new ati 5870 if youre upgrading (or maybe the 5850 save money) thats what i plan to do :)

plan on building a pc to run arma2, side note is i plan on using my 47'' hdtv as the monitor so the max resolutions the game can achieve wont be needed the tv is 1080p

i havent fooled around with computers for about 8-9 years, could anyone point me in the direction of what will be needed to atleast come close to maxing the settings at that resolution...btw i will most likely purchase off of newegg

thank you

it sounds to me like unless you want to do some heavy duty work, you should get a basic elite-level gaming platform of an i7, 6GB ddr3 RAM, ati 5870. (games wont use more than 6GB & dont make the mistake i did and get 8, because its apparently actually slower (its triple channel RAM so needs to be in sets of 3 or something). get 6 or 12 u really want to go heav* i think i am going to upgrade to a 5870 myself partly because of this game but also because ill be set for another year or two (its fully direct x 11 compatible).

has anyone upgraded from a 4850/70/90 to a 5850 or 5870? i am curious what kind of difference it makes in arma 2.

what size power supply, the 5870 im looking at on there says it needs a minimum of 500w, but 750w isnt that much more to get and i dont know how much fans will eat up...one tower comes with 5 fans and a 750w power supply...money isnt really an issue as i have done most of my xmas shopping for the year already so the holidays shouldnt hurt me any...going to take the hd and dvd rom out of my current pc and use it there

You wont need a 750w psu to handle the 5870 although i would get a 600w rather than a 500w just to be on the safe side.

hey all, im new to the forums. looking at getting a new pc so i can play ArmA2...been waiting for this for 8 years lol

anyway, havent seen too many people asking about this particular graphics card im looking at. i cant find info on it anywhere.

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz

6GB DDR 3 SDRAM

NVidia GeForce G210

here is the other one i was looking at (probably better...not sure about the graphics card though)

intel core i5 750 (2.66GHz)

4GB DDR3 RAM

9800GT

what do you guys think?

*edit* i know the second one is the better option, but its a bit more money. i guess what im asking is will the first one run ArmA2 okay on medium settings. im not too obsessed with getting everything to run on high.

Hi there, just registered here to ask i simple question.

Downloaded the Arma II demo from steam a couple of days ago, to try it out, since the reviews on the new OF2 dragon rising wasnt that great. Been thinking about buying Arma II, since it looks promising, especially the multiplayer (which i havent tried yet, waiting for internet at home)

However, it doesnt run very smoothly on my computer. This is my setup:

core 2 duo e4600 cpu

HD4850 1gb gpu

4 gig ram

on vista 32, dont remember what mobo i have, not at my computer now.

It runs ok at best, a bit stuttering, on medium to low settings, AA off, 13something x 1024 resolution i think.

I think (and hope) its the cpu thats the bottleneck in my computer. Would i get a significant gain by buying a E8400, or a Q8200. And which of these two options, that is within my budget, would be best for Arma II, and other games in general?

Nobody can answer my fairly simple question?

All i want to know is, is my cpu the "main" bottleneck in my computer, and will a upgrade to e8400 or q8200 be a big difference?

Nobody can answer my fairly simple question?

All i want to know is, is my cpu the "main" bottleneck in my computer, and will a upgrade to e8400 or q8200 be a big difference?

Yes u can play it wit ur current spec :)

Of course it is a big jump from e4600 to e8400 especially for q8200 since it is 4 core already:D

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

hey all, im new to the forums. looking at getting a new pc so i can play ArmA2...been waiting for this for 8 years lol

anyway, havent seen too many people asking about this particular graphics card im looking at. i cant find info on it anywhere.

6GB DDR 3 SDRAM

NVidia GeForce G210

here is the other one i was looking at (probably better...not sure about the graphics card though)

4GB DDR3 RAM

9800GT

what do you guys think?

*edit* i know the second one is the better option, but its a bit more money. i guess what im asking is will the first one run ArmA2 okay on medium settings. im not too obsessed with getting everything to run on high.

wit ur second spec, u can run it almost very high although not all :o

Highly recommended for the second spec mate :)

Of course it is a big jump from e4600 to e8400 especially for q8200 since it is 4 core already:D

So with the q8200 being cheaper than the e8400 where i'm buying stuff, it is a better buy overall, since you are saying "especially for q8200" ?

6GB DDR 3 SDRAM

NVidia GeForce G210

4GB DDR3 RAM

9800GT

what do you guys think?

The second one is a much better choice, although the graphics card is pretty mediocre. Can you upgrade it?

So with the q8200 being cheaper than the e8400 where i'm buying stuff, it is a better buy overall, since you are saying "especially for q8200" ?

but first, what is the clock speed q8200 ?:confused:

Although it is 4 core already, if it lacks of speed, then it isn't so good too :(

But 4 core on all aspect is winning over 2 core far enough, make sure check the speed also :cool:

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

The second one is a much better choice, although the graphics card is pretty mediocre. Can you upgrade it?

yes, I recommend GTX 260...or if u have lots of budget then take GTX 275 1gb, will surely run ARMA II at best :rolleyes:

Hello, friends!

System specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

4096 MB RAM

Will I be able to run this game with a decent FPS?

Yougamers test thingy said I could run it at high settings, but I don't know how reliable that is.

One last thing: I am almost computer illiterate, please reply to me as if you were talking to a 10 year old child with some sort of retardation.

Edited by Huggles

Hello, friends!

System specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

4096 MB RAM

Will I be able to run this game with a decent FPS?

Yougamers test thingy said I could run it at high settings, but I don't know how reliable that is.

One last thing: I am almost computer illiterate, please reply to me as if you were talking to a 10 year old child with some sort of retardation.

Yes, u can run it at least on high settings :)

Enjoy da game mate :D

Okay I just ordered a new dell heres the specs. Will this computer run Arma 2 well?

Dell Studio XPS 9000

Intel Core I7 (8mb L3 Cache) @ 2.66 Ghz

8gb Dual Channel DDR3 Sdram @ 1066mhz-4 dimms

1.5 TB 7200Rpm Sata Hard Drive

Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 1024mb

Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio

Bose Companion 2series II Multimedia Speakers

22in SX2210 Widescreen Flat Panel Screen

Windows vista 64 bit with Windows 7 upgrade

Input would be greatly appreciated guys.

Edited by justsomeguynia

it should run it great, the only thing not great is the graphics card but that will not be an issue as far as performance is concerned.

I got the upgraded card too 100$ upgrade. Middle of the road one. Next step up was 180$ GTX 280 I believe. There was only 3 choices so I chose the middle. Tacking on the top end one woulda made her 2grand alot for a pc in my opinion. So I guess we'll see how she runs... Maybe I'll have to reduce a few settings who knows?

possibly, but keep in mind that no matter what it wont run smoothly 100% of the time, from what i can tell from these forums. but if u tweak a bit youll find settings that make it look beautiful and give u minimal trouble, thats really all u can ask right now.

its probably a good decision getting the middle of the road gpu, as thats one of the easiest things to upgrade, if it suits you great and if u dont like it just pop it out and pop in a new one.

Thanks I really appreciate the information. I dont mind not running all the settings on max. The delivery date is Nov 12th I cant wait. Im running a Pentium 4 thats 8 yrs old right now and slower than mollases on a Janruary morning. Time to upgrade ya think? LOL

Thanks again

How can I tell if Arma II is using both of my 295's? Because when I monitor temps, at times they're the same, at times they're a few degrees celcius apart...

With everything maxed, running Fraps in the background, area's with nothing going on the frame rate skyrockets over 160-200, but during normal gameplay it hovers around 90-100, explosions and chaos and lots of buildings, vehicles, men, crazyness, it falls more, but never below 60, and that's all that matters to me, to maintain 60^ no matter what. When a frame rate falls below 60, and you're used to it being above or at 60, it effects the sensitivity of the mouse, the input of the mouse, naturally.

Anyways I think it should be higher, although the game engine isn't exactly optimized, so maybe it's using all 4 Gpu's. I just wanna better way of knowing besides watching temps, my setup keeps things so cold it's hard to even tell that way, cause they're the H20's, water cooled, and with my case I have a ridiculous amount of air and ventilation, it's not accurate to judge by temps for me. Please help. If it's not using both, well, these cards are pricey and I want my moneys worth when I'm playing Arma II, I'm sure anyone can understand that.

Also, I'm replacing the BFG 9800GTX+ 1GB with a BFG GTX 260 Core 216 in about 3 weeks, in my old rig. So when friends come over, it's more fair for lan gaming. How much difference is there, I've heard about 50% from BFG. My only resource is TomsHardware which I used for years until recently, their numbers are terribly off. They showed a 4870X2 running behind 2 9600GSO's in SLI, that's insane.. There were many other examples of this, I no longer trust them, they show only an improvement of around 15%, between the 9800 and the 260, no way... Can anyone shed some light, I mean the 260 has a little slower core clock and shader clock, but it has almost double the amount of shaders, and a 448-bit memory interface, vs a 256-bit interface for the 9800. I'm thinking the higher the resolution the bigger the difference, but even at 1680x1050 the GTX 260 should be a nice upgrade over the 9800GTX+.

Edited by Rhammstein