Sign in to follow this  
vilas

PROJECT'85 TOPIC

Good idea to make "core" Project'85 Mod and keep it compatible to other 3rd party addons/MOD. Imho it's user friendly to have "all-in-one" pack instead of hundreds addons... Think about update/testing process. Looking forward to use+play with Project'85 Mod in SP and MP.

other mod friendly is relised by other thing, my new weapon pack will be probably used by few mods so it will make possible to fix units

addon independance - of course soldiers needs weapons from pack, but if you will cut files with soldiers (weapons pack will be released before MOD (as used by other mods and addons)) and than you can put your own guerilla and fight with US woodland troops for example

other thing about balistics - no BIS balistics:

- lower accuracy of AI , no more one-two shots to be killed in single player

- short barrel weapons worse than long barrel weapon

- now range of fire is near BIS< but may be shorter for AI

cause:

sample: in real life you see man from 400 meters, in game 400 meters away there is small dot, maybe not seen on PC scren, so "realism" in meters cannot be taken strict to game

in real life you see more than on screen, so probably i will lower range

BIS has 400 meters for rifle, but in this game when you have not high-tech VGA and only 17 LCD- you have no chance against such far AI

it makes singleplayer worse in my opinion

so maybe i will lower it for few percent

Hm.

I still don't agree. FFUR had one explicit purpose: to replace the default OFP effects, units and gameplay with the latest and best the community had to offer. And there wasn't one single default OFP unit at the time that wasn't worth replacing : the community had churned out so much excellent stuff by then every single aspect from SF soldiers to explosion effects to sounds could and should be replaced. Thunderbird can surely extrapolate on the reasons for changing other gameplay aspects such as recoil and engagement ranges, but at that point it really didn't matter: it was a TOTAL CONVERSION mod, meaning every single unit, weapon and hell, even island, had been replaced!

ArmA is another beast altogether. I don't want anyone to remove my M1A1, my T-72, my AK-74 or my Kamov and replace it with something they've made - the default BIS stuff is plenty good enough still, in most aspects it's BETTER than the addons we've got (no offence meant to any addon maker! You're all doing great jobs!wink_o.gif. Addons is about adding content, not replacing or removing it. I want to be able to add SLA grunts next to Polish Cold War soldiers and cook up some story about their relationship. I want to be able to engage an old Hind from the 80's with my Super Cobra, while Soviet troops run around shooting at my ACU-wearing, Stryker-toting 'mericans. So no replacements, please. Additions - yes. Replacements - no.

As to config-changing, what vilas is talking about - is once again a sticky matter. Sure, do what you want with your own troops, but what about the default ones? Changing it globally will most probably break the campaign and all the single missions made so far. Not to mention cause a XAM-like debacle on the multiplayer side of things, where people joining with the P85 mod will cause servers to explode and people to be accused of cheating. Which is what it would amount to. However, NOT changing it globally means that all the default weapons and units are useless ANYWAY since they'd no longer have anything in common with each other, making engagements as I described above impossible or impossibly one-sided.

As to the case of FDF:

I didn't entirely agree with FDF's method of changing the default units' firing characteristics, sounds, etc either. However, since the default BIS recoil and such for OFP was basically fuxx0red from the beginning, there was a lot to fix, and by creating a total conversion mod they could integrate the Americans into their kickass campaign. Besides, the changes for the default units were fairly neglible (sounds, some recoil characteristics, tracers...) if I remember correctly. And finally, if you had FDF mod loaded, you couldn't join any vanilla OFP servers anyway. As far as I know, the idea of "sound mods" came with ArmA.

FDF is from the time of OFP. This isn't OFP anymore, this is ArmA. In ArmA, someone running XAM lght, seeing desert vehicles instead of woodland and hearing quiet battle ambience in the background can join the same game as a vanilla player. Someone running DM's Smoke Effects can have his whole vision obscured for minutes as a building crumbles, while his neighbour sees clearly. Someone running a replacement pack for Jonny's Marines sees them through the scope of his replacement-pack RH AK, while listening to rock through his HULK OggPlayer. The guy next to him lies in knee-high grass listening to the quiet birdsong of FDF Sounds 1.3, while his neighbour in turn lies on a big open flat green plain because his graphics card hates the grass, listening to the zips of Chammy's bulletcracks whizzing past.

This isn't OFP. This is ArmA. The time for Total Conversions where someone else makes the arbitrary decision what kind of gameplay experience we want is in the past. Create your own thing, sure - but either leave the default stuff untouched, or make sure it's compatible with your stuff. The easiest and best way to do this is by creating packs of addons that function according to the rules set by BIS' default units. After that, you can create config mods, replacement packs, sound packs, and whatever else you want. Because it's possible in ArmA.

Phewie. My 0.02 cents. I'm just looking forward to whatever you have to give!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Quote[/b] ]ArmA is another beast altogether. I don't want anyone to remove my M1A1, my T-72, my AK-74 or my Kamov and replace it with something they've made - the default BIS stuff is plenty good enough still, in most aspects it's BETTER than the addons we've got (no offence meant to any addon maker! You're all doing great jobs!

From a technical point of view, what would make Project'85 a unique Total Conversion MOD, is the ability to easily customize everything inside for your own liking, since, if you would not like the model replacements and would like to stick to BIS default Models, then all you would have to do it to delete/Back up a few files, and this procedure would be explained in details within the readme.

Plus, there would be numerous "Replacement Options", based on reliable and realistic '85 and circa sources/content/informations/data, therefore, if the default replacement choices would not fit to your taste then you would get the ability to choose another alternatives.

And if none of them would not be satisfying enough then there would be a tutorial within the readme explaining how to perform your own Model Replacements.

I must admit that Armed Assault Platform helps a lot in these regards, as it would have never been the case with OFP previously.

By the way, I think the best example to illustrate the current situation is the FDF one and not FFUR, since the FFUR MOD's purpose was to replace the default units by changing countless elements and aspects for better alternatives, whereas the FDF MOD focused on its theme models development + Campaign/Missions related to the theme in question, and the second case seems closer to Project'85 intentions and objectives.

Anyways, the Poll is open and we better let the community speak in its whole. ;]

Thank you for your paticipation.

Regards,

TB

Edited because of typos.

Have to say.

Didn't really follow this mod a lot.

With the updates I'm seeing now I'm definitely gonna start to follow this more closely. With the team it has I'm sure this will be one for the ages.

Keep up the work, Big-Rooney.

A question for those who follow this topic:

What would you prefer?:

- Lots of single addons?

- Full conversion mod in the style of the OFP FFUR or FDF mod?

Do it OFrP style:

All vehicles together, all infantry together, all planes together, all armor together etc...

That way it is right in between a Full mod and Individual at the same time... You can install the infantry only or the vehicles only if you want...

otherwise the most important to me is that your addons are compatible and do not conflict with other addons.

Keep up the good work thumbs-up.gif

Personally, I'd rather have basic addons so I could pick whatever effects and scripts I wanted (ECP, Six-Tracers, etc...). You maintain compatability that way, so maybe I could even use the Project 85 addons with ACE, when it's released.

And I'd like to see custom vehicles and weapons compatable with ArmaEffects and 6th sense mod tracers, too.

$0.02

Again, and hopefully for the last time, even with a MOD, you will still be able to pick-up any .pbo you would like and use it as a standalone addon.

And the MOD will be completely ACE compatible before its release, a collaboration is established with the ACE team since a few days and some agreements were found to make both MODs fully compatible.

smile_o.gif

Regards,

TB

OFrP mod - good morning smile_o.gif

yes we will have such style of MOD

basic will be weapons pack designed in the way to be used by: P85, my addons, IDF, other mods that feel to have in their armament weapons from AK , by FAL types to G3 and other weapons widely used in world :]

so even when you will be releasing Your units, they can fight with guerillas from third-world banana country equipped with FALs, SKS, AK47, AKMS and UZIs

also it will be possible if you wanna do mission - your French army + my USA army + maybe Malvinas British army against lets say guerillas in middle east in 1995 smile_o.gif

vehicles will be in 2 version : my old addon VIBI updated and Project85 vehicles pack indcluding different vehicles (some part of VIBI, some exclusive, some old Polish army vehicles made in USSR)

My money is on a total conversion mod, it makes things simpler.

I also noticed that 77% of the people on the poll agrees with me on this.

Keep up the great work btw smile_o.gif

...maybe Malvinas British army against lets say guerillas in middle east in 1995 smile_o.gif

Yes, troops in Arctic and CW kit from the Falklands War

(it's not "Malvinas", BTW, unless you are writing in Spanish)

will look just great in a Middle Eastern setting! wink_o.gif

Malvinas mod as we don't like colonialism biggrin_o.gif

hehe

here some weapons made for Malvinas mod (also there will be new L42 too)

malv.jpg

L1A1 was made already some time ago ;]

eidt: added L42:

l42wip.jpg

Great video, the drunken guy definatly should maybe get his own demolishing buisness.

About Kenji, hell see it sooner or later as he follows the thread.

Slightly offtopic: I felt sorry for that poor bugger, that house was probably one of the things in his life he was proud of, and he built it with his own hands. I know I'd be pissed off, especially since the army that denied him a house was the same army whose tank later smashed through a corner of it.

Weapons looking good Vilas.

(Damn 3AM posts. mad_o.gif )

The 85 era brings back this to my memory:

pluton%202.JPG

wink_o.gif If you ever consider doing '85 troops western Europe...

2 Cameron

No need to be worried - Army imdemnified his losses. No to say damage was not too big and it was not the house damaged, but sauna. Luxurious addition for a "poor hugger", heh...

Okay, I give up. WTF is that? It looks like a M88 recovery vehicle with a big-ass missile on the back. The periscopes are different than an M88 though, so I'm clueless.

huh.gif

Okay, I give up. WTF is that? It looks like a M88 recovery vehicle with a big-ass missile on the back. The periscopes are different than an M88 though, so I'm clueless.

huh.gif

You may have a look here. wink_o.gif

I believe those are sniper oversuits and KLMK also came in a 2 part BDU correct?

I believe those are sniper oversuits and KLMK also came in a 2 part BDU correct?

Yes the KLMK came as a two-piece uniform and an oversuit. The oversuit saw much wider use during and after the Afghanistan war.

Yeah im aware of the mask and hoods thing, we had quite soem team internal discussion ( mainly me and NSX ) about the masks and decided to leave them out ( i for myself think it would be great for a hooded sniper ) because it seems they were rather rarely used ( i guess they got lost pretty fast ).

Hoods, well i hope our modellers will add that it would be a real + for spetsnaz or at least snipers in the oversuits.

Yes the KLMK came as a two-piece uniform and an oversuit. The oversuit saw much wider use during and after the Afghanistan war.

The two-piece uniform that you are referring to was used by the KGB borderguards along with some KGB and Interior Troops special units, it was not deployed by the Soviet Armed Forced in any capacity.

Peace,

DreDay