Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

"Arma" brand impeding on Arma2's success?

I like ArmA, exactly like that, has character and intrigue.

Don't you care that it's associated with a poor game? As others have said, when people start saying, "Only after a Demo this time" on every ArmA Video posted on the internet, that's not too good.

It's not a poor game.

Furthermore I don't think the general consensus is that it was poor. IGN's amalgamated rating gives it a 7.4. In Britain, IGN gave it 8.6. ECG gives it 70/100.

These aren't A+ scores (except for IGN UK), but they aren't poor.

I'm just concerned on the games sales and BI's ability to get the word out mostly. A demo would be amazing since most mainstream websites would pick up on it... After the last few videos, I'm really becoming convinced that my life will be over once this game is released.  tounge2.gif

If Arma2 can sell, we can have bigger, more frequent games. BI's happy, we're extremely happy, the new guys are happy, the world is a better place. Its just that name...

Buy Arma2, save a puppy? Targeted advertising I guess is the strategy, not throwing a bunch of money at the wall and seeing what sticks. I just wish we knew what the whole idea is.. OFP2 is getting a lot of negative comments from viewers, in comparison Arma2 (per capita?) is getting much more positive reviews and curiosity than OFP2. If only that could be harnessed with a little bit of money.. sad_o.gif

But I guess, its interesting... the two comments I get for this game is: 1. This game looks awesome. 2. Arma1 sucked.... So yea... they are negating eachother, sorta. With Arma1 putting a dent in their potential sales, they'll just have to work that much harder to overcome that and do well.. which means advertising, which means money... which means less advertising.. which means... arrg my head hurts!

Don't you care that it's associated with a poor game?

I would if it were, but it isn't.

Have BIS upset these so called gaming sites or do you need to throw large amounts of cash to be reconised as a great gaming company these days?

I'd say the second...

Remember the Kane and Lynch case with a reviewer fired for giving the game a bad score?

Remember the Kane and Lynch case with a reviewer fired for giving the game a bad score?
Heh yea, one of the founders of Giant Bomb.. good stuff smile_o.gif Dude moved in and started the business with some of the reviewers from gamespot right after he got out of there.

Don't you care that it's associated with a poor game?

I would if it were, but it isn't.

I'd have to personally disagree on that, initially - it was not, how do you say... playable?.. Its the first, biggest wave of customers that come in, have a traumatic experience (a tank hitting a rock and flying 1000 feet into the air).. they leave the game - then have nothing good to say about it ever again. Once the words "arma2" pop up, they only laugh and turn away. The game could be the best game in the world (like it is) right now, but they still have no real reason to give it another look, at least, most wont. All they remember is that flying tank.

Edit, we might be able to help them get attention: Gamespot Data submissions. You'd have to login/create an account but this site is logged to Gamespot and is the place where you can recommend games to have new info that gamespot may not have picked up on. Maybe if enough people do it, they'll care.

World War II Online / Battleground Europe, if you're speaking strictly in terms of gameplay and realism. Of course, it's a different era.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool fan of the OFP franchise, but WW2OL trumps the immersion and overall combined arms experience of OFP. No other tac-shooter I've played does, though.

That's comparing two different kinds of games, though. WW2OL has the advantage of being an MMOFPS. Even if WW2OL had the scale of OFP, it still has lots of things that OFP fans have been lusting after for several years.

OFP:Elite still provided the superior experience, thanks to XBox Live's seamless multiplayer integration. I hate dorking around with 3rd-party buddy list and voice proggies.

The word “arma†means "arm(s)/weapon(s)" in Latin, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese (and i also think Swedish)

Actually it means "poor" as in "poor you."  rofl.gif

But in this case it is taken so much out of content

that no one thinks about it cos you just cant say

"arma" in swedish without anything behind it; cat, you, car etc.

its an old expression, its not said often.

I say stick with the name ARMA, changing it would just mess things up, everyone knows what ARMA is now.

And CM is about to destroy the name OFP anyway now.

Quote[/b] ]Name a better Milsim than ArmA:115?

You made me do it. VBS2.

LOL you doofus wink_o.gif

A better milsim that's available for punters to buy and not militaries wink_o.gif

have confident on the product is a good thing

being complacency is not a good thing

yes i agree that ARMA isnt that bad from core, but with all the bugs/unfinish/unpalyable stuff that appear on the skin just doesnt make it a "not so poor" game, and this alone already hurts the name quite a bit

IMO BI either have to get extra hardworking on ARMA 2 inorder the win back the hearts and minds of the unhappy one, or they can have a reboot by having hardworking on a new title which might have less resistance on getting customers inorder to gain more cash, or they could just play sitting ducks(which, i hope, is not the case)

since now BI seems to going the first route, i simply hope that they do get hardworking enought so that it makes most ppl here and outside happy, or else they are destined to be doomed

Edit: Erg, sorry 4-in-1, just re-read your post, saying about the same thing.

Oh come on.  If BIS does what they're saying, and I believe they are one of the most honest groups, if not THE most honest (check Mr.g-c's sig, never seen THAT much truth from a dev before), it will be great. Even the most due-dilligence reviewer, who does it because it's the job, not because they want to, will uncover a gem, and have to be the first to let the world know about it.  Let it stand on it's own, it is not ArmA after all,  it's ArmA II, see?  Totally different.  nener.gif

Hi all

I think the fact that ArmA2 has so much more current news interest that OFP2 shows the ArmA brand is a successful one.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

I think the fact that ArmA2 has so much more current news interest that OFP2 shows the ArmA brand is a successful one.

Kind Regards walker

I believe that based on what BIS have showned Arma II has the potential to turn the Arma brand into a successfull one wink_o.gif .

Have BIS upset these so called gaming sites or do you need to throw large amounts of cash to be reconised as a great gaming company these days?

I'd say the second...

Thats exactly that....

We had a similar case in germany with "4players.de" a larger Freenet (ISP) owned Online game-Magazine.

In that case a not named Game manufacturer (many things points to EA actually) threatened the Author of that Article, that when he does not give the game a better Rating, that this larger corporation will withdraw all confirmed Advertising campaigns/deals they already confirmed for various games.

They made that Public and since then they renamed their Motto into "Kritisch, Ehrlich Aktuell", which stands for "Critical, Honest and Actual" in English.

Since then they are very sympathetic to me  tounge2.gif

Very sad times these are eh? I guess the only way to go is to stop viewing/reading these so called "gamers" sites and stick with the independant reviewers, do remember reading some chaps reviews a few months back who was bluntly honest about some "landmark games!!!", it was great to read someone elses reviews who had the same views and honesty as my own.

Arma 2 will stay Arma 2 (which it should) due to the fact its a sequel to Arma... rofl.gif

Its practically the same game with a load of updates and fixes thrown in, mixed with a bit more tender loving care by BIS and a lil input from us truely and hopefully a bit of fiddling by some great mission writers!

biggrin_o.gif

World War II Online / Battleground Europe, if you're speaking strictly in terms of gameplay and realism.  Of course, it's a different era.

That was also the buggiest game in history. Buggier even that ArmA at it's release.

Quote[/b] ]Name a better Milsim than ArmA:115?

You made me do it. VBS2.

LOL you doofus wink_o.gif

A better milsim that's available for punters to buy and not militaries wink_o.gif

ArmA 1.15 with ACE whistle.gif

Id just like to add to this here topic, ahem cough cough cough.

I no longer play arma. Not because i dont like it. Because i GOt hooked on sahrani life and its was developed by a load of complete plonkers who got half of the game community turning on one another and well all that crap.

But im still going for arma 2!.

Ive loved arma from day 1. Yeah bugs but pff for me most didnt even bother me.

Arma 2 will prob have plenty bugs but the good thing is they update it and we have a good community!

help.gif Now im going back to the corner inwait of arma 2 to arrive at my front door goodnight.gif

I hope this time they release it in North America at the same time, so i don't have to buy 2 copies (one german release, one in english from walmart) Even steam would be good enough for me

if it is gonna be released at separate dates for different locations, I also request that for the first release no Star Force malware i would have bought the Czech release if it wasn't for that

Yea, one giant release. 1 release day. Even if it takes more time. It will hit the ground running smile_o.gif

I too purchased Arma twice, the Czech version and the one that came after that (forget which one) that was in English. I remember all the guys figuring out how to make the game in English with those sqs files biggrin_o.gif

I started thinking, ever since the name "Arma2" has been out there, word of mouth has already been spreading - for better or for worse. The train can't be stopped. Even if BI wanted to change the name, I think it'd be more painful than just keeping it. Unless they change some things (they have plenty of time), to me, after watching all the media - I still get a Arma vibe. Ie: fire effects, RPG missles/sounds, the soft white glow (perhaps just the weather). I know players shouldn't be as picky as this, but seeing as its "Arma2", I think it should be Arma 1.96 if you catch my drift. Perhaps though, with the graphical updates and the video(s), it will prop it right back up.

Can't help but getting a goosebump or two when I heard that song in that last trailer smile_o.gif I thought of OFP, and the memories that came with it. I gotta give em credit, the game does give that 'dirty' vibe, that I missed so much. So the OFP players that may not have played Arma can actually go, "Wait! these guys made ofp1!".

Hi, i think that the sales strategy at this times should remain the

same regarding the product name and that they should only add

or improve what they can over the engine that they manage.

But, i think that they could/should improve some things related to

the number of posible customers that they could reach; for example,

add a female playable character and make publicity of that game feature

"now the war reachs all genders", or really take care of the game's

translations, i only can say bad words to every spanish player that

i meet or possible player that i've meet in regards to the game, it's

bugs, the camapign and over all... the ridiculously bad translation.

So well, i hope that they do it better this time with the ArmA2 or

i gonna have (even) much more ammo to damage the sales and the

"good name" of Bohemia Interactive Studios. Let's C ya

as long the game is available in all possible retail and online stores up2date and easily patchable ...

as long the game is available in all possible retail and online stores up2date and easily patchable ...

I didn't quite catch that translation, erm, at all smile_o.gif

i think it partly depends on how the advertising e.t.c. is handled, so far BI have been doing a much better job of advertising the game than before (also OFP 2 may actually be allowing more people to hear about arma 2)

luckily i think the amount of people who played arma is too small for it to affect arma 2 sales too much.