Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

GC 2008 Press Coverage

the Mi-17 did hit the trees and crash

the only difference is, did it hit the tree and blowup right away, or did it hit the trees, knock them down, fall on to the ground, then blow up

doesnt looks like the 2nd one to me, clearly not something that happen in real life, heck, even if they just knock the trees down, lost control, hard landing, then kamboom would looks 10 times better then this one crazy_o.gif

also the physics doesnt seems to be improved confused_o.gif

its sad that the ai still cant handle the chopper properly

in fact the only thing that hold is the ground troops AI

COME ON BI!!!!!! banghead.gif

hoplesspi0copy.gif

72 @ Aug. 27 2008,00:26)]From that video and some other i saw but cant remember wich, it looks like the SVD scope still looks bad. Those thin lines that are very "jagged" in the curves. it doesnt have smooth lines so to say. Hopefully it will be taken care of.

EDIT: Looking at when he changes view distance when flying they should really add the option of dynamic view distance. The one Myke has made for ArmA works so good. I cant play with 8000 meters on the ground but when im flying up and it succesively expands, i get no lag. So it really works super. Would really be a hot option for ArmA2.

Cool video btw! smile_o.gif

They probably have Anti Aliasing disabled.

Is there a download for the video? yay.gif

some stuff:

- there will be (in/from campaign?huh.gif) missions playable like coop and as the russians/ insurgents

- enemies in the village have shot down the -some helicopter- and it wasnt scripted and last time he was showing it the -some helicopter- was circling around and shooting

- the game isnt all about killing/survival and the enemies can surrender/retreat

- there will be generated civilians/vehicles if they allow it

(it wasnt clear)

- surrendered soldiers will drop their weapons but its WIP

- the last mission can take 5 hours to complete and will be made like MP mission (CTsmt)

- templates will be better

btw. it was only first part, the other isnt there yet

Looks good. I'm especially excited about the bolded features.

However, can anyone translate this? I found it at http://arma2.acci.cz, but the list isn't included in the Enlish version.

A co se třeba můžeme z videa dozvědět?

Nepřátelské jednotky se vám můžou vzdát,

kampaň bude obsahovat jen pár misí (kolem šesti), budou ale velmi dlouhé (až několik hodin),

verze pro Xbox 360 nebude obsahovat editor misí, ale bude možno hrát mise automaticky generované (něco jako je nyní Armě),

grafika na konzoli nebude o mnoho horší než na PC,

umělá inteligence vypadá mnohem lépe.

I used google and from what I could tell there may not be an editor for the Xbox360 version. From a competition standpoint, that puts the console version of OFP2 ahead (assuming it includes an editor).

Quote[/b] ]I used google and from what I could tell there may not be an editor for the Xbox360 version.

I hope you are not correct on this one. I don't see any reason for it either since OFP: Elite did have an editor. I do expect a full editor this time on the much more powerful console, or else the game won't be bought by me. This time a game by BI has a competitor on the 360 and OFP2 will allow us to use the editor. So it either is a full port from the PC or console owners will move on to other games, i.e. one game in this case: OFP2

Grim

A co se třeba můžeme z videa dozvědět?

Nepřátelské jednotky se vám můžou vzdát,

kampaň bude obsahovat jen pár misí (kolem šesti), budou ale velmi dlouhé (až několik hodin),

verze pro Xbox 360 nebude obsahovat editor misí, ale bude možno hrát mise automaticky generované (něco jako je nyní Armě),

grafika na konzoli nebude o mnoho horší než na PC,

umělá inteligence vypadá mnohem lépe.

I used google and from what I could tell there may not be an editor for the Xbox360 version. From a competition standpoint, that puts the console version of OFP2 ahead (assuming it includes an editor).

"So what can we learn from the video actually?

Enemy forces can surrender

campaign will contain just few missions (6 or so), they will be very long though (even several hours),

version for Xbox 360 wont contain mission editor, but youll be able to play automatically generated scenarios (something like you can currently see in ArmA)

graphics on consoles will not be much worse than on PCs

artificial intelligence looks much better"

There is many info about civilian life, surrendering of units, detailed info how AI cooperate, find cover, use supression fire, covering open places,..etc, but my english is not good enough for detailed translation sad_o.gif

Only six missions in the Campaign?!

I hope this is not going to be like ArmA where when the US Marines arrive and save the Island, The Campaign Went straight from The Airport to Corozol missing out a whole chunk of South Sahrani, I was extremely dissapointed by that as many towns you couldn't get to fight in, Cayo, Tiberia, etc.

Also you say they are going to be very long missions, I don't believe you as they said that in the Rahmadi Campaign in QG and it turns out some of the missions took as long as 15 minutes.

Surrendering hostile units is not new, afaik. I remember seeing this in ArmA when i was playing the campaign. Some SLA gys dropped their weapons, put their arms behind their heads and then retreated. That was funny to see, i was flabbergasted at first because it was so new to see my virtual dominance over the AI in 'real' rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]I wonder what the 'Hey! Whats up?' conversation thing is which keeps popping up all the time.

Probably a placeholder while they haven't implemented all the dialogue strings.

72 @ Aug. 27 2008,00:26)]From that video and some other i saw but cant remember wich, it looks like the SVD scope still looks bad. Those thin lines that are very "jagged" in the curves. it doesnt have smooth lines so to say. Hopefully it will be taken care of.

EDIT: Looking at when he changes view distance when flying they should really add the option of dynamic view distance. The one Myke has made for ArmA works so good. I cant play with 8000 meters on the ground but when im flying up and it succesively expands, i get no lag. So it really works super. Would really be a hot option for ArmA2.

The FP-View in overall is just old same ArmA to me. I hope they change that.

I mean, most of the time (ArmA) I found the Third-Person view being more immersive than the First-person.

The problem with FP-view is that it's clunky and it doesn't support Close-Quartress Combat.

pistols.gif

New video is nice as is the features that it promises.

However one thing that I still have some problems with is when you sprint the weapon goes down which is fine, but when you stop sprinting it appears hyper-fast in your view again.

I would prefer a slower more natural fluid transference.

That link isnt working for me.

@Hoot: Are you sure you weren't  playing with some kind of mod? I never remember having an AI surrender to me. Then again maybe I never really gave them a chance.

It requires flash-player...you sure you have it? firefoxlover.gif

I mean, most of the time (ArmA) I found the Third-Person view being more immersive than the First-person.

The problem with FP-view is that it's clunky and it doesn't support Close-Quartress Combat.

pistols.gif

Then it's possible that you missed some control possibilities.

In close quarter battles you can zoom out the FP, by pressing - twice (at least in my config...). This is perfect for CQB!

Note: Doesn't work for weapons with 2d scopes (sniper rifles, etc.)

I hope that you don't think that the current OFP2 FP is realistic! But I don't want to discuss this issue here...

Thanks for the link to the new video, Maa and Gaia!!!

pistols.gif

Then it's possible that you missed some control possibilities.

In close quarter battles you can zoom out the FP, by pressing - twice (at least in my config...). This is perfect for CQB!

Note: Doesn't work for weapons with 2d scopes (sniper rifles, etc.)

I hope that you don't think that the current OFP2 FP is realistic! But I don't want to discuss this issue here...

Thanks for the link to the new video, Maa and Gaia!!!

Hell no @ OFP2 FPV (agreed) , but ARMA's problem was that when you move, while aiming, sidewise or backwards or forward, you name it,

your weapon sways like forward+back+forward, I hope you know what I mean.

It is sometimes very hard to get concetrated, when your weapon animation is like that. (the scope sooms in the eye and out). or when you walk sidewise, the weapon swings tearing from the screen and so does the crosshair (i don't see any crosshairs IRL!wink_o.gif

I know from experience you can keep that weapon much steadier while moving!

And when your not aiming, you can only see the pipe 24/7. You either lower it or aim with it!

also because the guns are so detailed, I want to see them on my freaking screen (not the pipe!wink_o.gif because this game is supposed to be about tactical realism and shooting. (I won't feel that I shot a gun if I don't see it in full glory, but in OGR it was fun tho)

It just doesn't feel right... I lose the immersion very easily...

the civ hiding in the house is WIP for sure!! Hope things arent like this when its released!! he should open the door to the house and enter it...and i hope they fix armas rigid engine...need a smoother engine combined with all of the realism..

pistols.gif

Well besides the point that undecieved has posted before me, I don't see how the First person view is any worse than than any other FPS. I think people just get a bit twichy about in Arma because the game is so lethal and open and to be sure your safe you have to know whats going on 360Deg. It's a lot to deal with compared to most.

As for implementing dynamic view distances, you may find a few community mission makers glaring at you over this one. Setting the view distance in a mission can be a usefull tool to help control events and prevent lag. Its cute but personaly I don't see any need for it as (a) the campaign isn't effected and there is usually enough time to change your view options before getting into a vehicle, and (b) there are already MP missions out there wich allow you to change settings mid game.

Fantastic vid BTW, just wish I could understand cz.

pistols.gif

Well besides the point that undecieved has posted before me, I don't see how the First person view is any worse than than any other FPS. I think people just get a bit twichy about in Arma because the game is so lethal and open and to be sure your safe you have to know whats going on 360Deg. It's a lot to deal with compared to most.

As for implementing dynamic view distances, you may find a few community mission makers glaring at you over this one. Setting the view distance in a mission can be a usefull tool to help control events and prevent lag. Its cute but personaly I don't see any need for it as (a) the campaign isn't effected and there is usually enough time to change your view options before getting into a vehicle, and (b) there are already MP missions out there wich allow you to change settings mid game.

Fantastic vid BTW, just wish I could understand cz.

Well i consider Call Of Duty 4, even if it's not realistic or open view, it's better than Arma's. You actually can maneuver inside and outside of the buildings (even if it's same system as any other FPS on the market, at least it works! )

I especially like how you turn into the ironsight mode/running mode. In Arma same situation happens faster than in split-seconds..feels un-natural. The weapon just feels like it's tearing and swimming in the air.(as opposite moving smooth and feels in the hands! )

Now I shall stop debating  thumbs-up.gif . But other than FPV I like what I see so far...

PS. I consider the vehicle FP-view much better than soldier's FPV.

Nice vids, everything looks good. Two things though:

In the first one, you can see a team of AI soldiers in a formation. What annoys me is the fact that they still keep their precise possition within the formation, and behave like a flock of birds copying the leader's movements. If it's not just a matter of WIP, would be much better if every of them knew where they want to go and went there "on his own" keeping more or less within the formation, and also using cover on his own (kinda like every soldier was given a sparate order to get there)?

The second thing is that the AI still rotate their whole bodies, instead of watching other directions by either moving their heads or torso. It still takes a while to spin around the whole body batman-style, and then start shooting.

I really hoped for more full spectrum warrior...ish type of using cover and movement, but we'll probably have to wait a bit longer for that.  

just my thoughts, dunno how it's gonna look in the final game...

edit:

@dentist guba: you're right, it just looks bad

i suppose it might be similar to OFP 1 where the AI stay in formation until they get into actual combat, then spread out a bit. it is still WIP though so it may be improved by release.

That link isnt working for me.

@Hoot: Are you sure you weren't playing with some kind of mod? I never remember having an AI surrender to me. Then again maybe I never really gave them a chance.

No it was vanilla ArmA. Same happens sometimes in Warfare here, when you free a city from resistance, some remaining resistance troops drop their weapon and wait until they get shot.

There is another question i asked myself today: What happened with the rotor downwash. It seems to not affect flora anymore, but i'm sure i saw it with 1.01. Is that effect depending on the quality settings or was it just removed during patching?

About the 1st person view - True mods made a good improvement for this. Not only it looks way cooler ( wink_o.gif) but its also more handy - you can easier estimate where the bullet will fly even without using sights. Not to mention it looks more realistic.

Quote[/b] ]No it was vanilla ArmA. Same happens sometimes in Warfare here, when you free a city from resistance, some remaining resistance troops drop their weapon and wait until they get shot.

That, actually, wasnt surrending, they just went into the water, got stuck in there for a while and lost their weapons. biggrin_o.gif

I bet you saw it in Dolores.