Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.14

After not having played ArmA since 1.08, I will re install and try again. Thanks for the great update smile_o.gif. I found out a bit late, but that is because I play to many games.

I must say that (for me, at least), ArmA 1.14 and a bunch of user-made fixes really became a great game. It still has some issues, but for the most part the game is playable and runs well. Whereas I couldn't even play the game before with the ArmaEffects mod because of extremely low framerates, now with 1.14 I have ArmaEffects and several other mods running and still getting good FPS.

Thanks BIS and thanks to all the addon/mission makers who took the time and cleaned up/extended the game! I'll certainly consider ArmA 2 when it comes out.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Another bad bugs spotted by me.</span></span>

- vehicles with units in cargo which are "captive true" cannot setted to captive false (<span style='color:red'>!!!</span>)

See here a demomission DOWNLAD TEST editor mission here

- unitname setUnitPosWeak works ONLY sporadic

confused_o.gif

I'm getting way more CTDs than ever before with this patch.

Before I could go hours but now I'm lucky if I can go 5 mins.

It usually happens when I'm testing things in the editor.

I got a few choppers running around different parts of the map with a plane and quite a few groups. It's annoying as hell.

It's odd. I haven't got a single crash with this 1.14 patch.

If you have a mission which always crashes for you, maybe it could be usefull to upload it somewhere and give a link to it here so other people can try if it crashes for them also.

It's odd. I haven't got a single crash with this 1.14 patch.

If you have a mission which always crashes for you, maybe it could be usefull to upload it somewhere and give a link to it here so other people can try if it crashes for them also.

Aswell as try running 100% without any custom addons ...

If it doesn't crash anymore, you should be able to figure out which addon is causing the problem / incompatibility issue.

Chaos, the problem is not your hardware as some people will try to convince you and argue otherwise. The game or possibly the latest Nvidia driver has a bug that causes this problem.

Considering it only happens with Arma I think it is safe to conclude it is a bug in the game itself. I personally think it is a problem with the new memory management technique that BIS has started to use but considering the game is so complex it could be from any of the recent changes.

It happens to me also and it happens to other people on the forums. You will be playing and the game seems to freeze as if it is going to crash. After about 30 seconds the game unfreezes but you are left with corrupted graphics. Usually for me it looks like a single tiled texture is completely blocking your view (see screenshot below). If you hit ESC and then respawn back at base the world looks exactly like your screenshots with strange colours.

The only way to fix it is to exit the game and restart it.

I only have this problem with Arma and I always check my temperatures to see if it is the cause. Overheating isn't the problem.

The last time I played for about 8 hours and it happens 3 times. I was forced to leave the server all 3 times to restart the game.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4130/arma228amgraphicglitchxp5.jpg

Chaos, the problem is not your hardware as some people will try to convince you and argue otherwise. The game or possibly the latest Nvidia driver has a bug that causes this problem.

Considering it only happens with Arma I think it is safe to conclude it is a bug in the game itself. I personally think it is a problem with the new memory management technique that BIS has started to use but considering the game is so complex it could be from any of the recent changes.

It happens to me also and it happens to other people on the forums. You will be playing and the game seems to freeze as if it is going to crash. After about 30 seconds the game unfreezes but you are left with corrupted graphics. Usually for me it looks like a single tiled texture is completely blocking your view (see screenshot below). If you hit ESC and then respawn back at base the world looks exactly like your screenshots with strange colours.

The only way to fix it is to exit the game and restart it.

I only have this problem with Arma and I always check my temperatures to see if it is the cause. Overheating isn't the problem.

The last time I played for about 8 hours and it happens 3 times. I was forced to leave the server all 3 times to restart the game.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4130/arma228amgraphicglitchxp5.jpg

I have had the same things appearing right after having installed AoC and trying to run it (in terms of stability on my machine, ArmA is a dream compared to AoC.... there, talk about buggy code wink_o.gif )

No real issue in 1.14 so far, until AoC appeared on the HD.

Suddenly, after some variable time playing, screen freeze, and when it "moves" again, I've this exact same thing printed, screen divided in 4 parts with a tree model in each part. Sometimes, all parts are not filled by the tree, but there is moving 3D world.

The menu items are printed above, you hear changing sounds, footsteps etc... when you move, so you still have total control of your character.

You just can't see anything of what you're doing.

I reinstalled DX9 to the last version, and since then, everything runs fine on ArmA

the DX9 reinstallation tip comes from AoC forums. One of the workaround of the bugs I've in AoC is to delete some cache file prior to each play session, and regularly reinstall DirectX (go figure....).

I've had some success with the 1st solution, until it became really to unstable and I had issues in ArmA as well.

So I reinstalled DirectX. So far, it did it well, I've not seen a single graphical issue since.

Though, I've hardly touched AoC since wink_o.gif

Even at this point, I'm still unsure of my hardware. As I said, I've also seen a failing PSU making 1 game go wrong, at which time I blamed the game, until a second game saw signs of buggy coding, then a 3rd one, at which point I knew somethign else was fishy.

Because it only happens on one game doesn't mean it's the fault of the game code.

All possibilities are open. OS issues, DirectX, hardware, game code.... don't be too fast on your conclusions.

Very interesting information Whisper.

I am experiencing "Display Driver Stopped Responding" messages sometimes under Vista + ArmA. Not sure if they represent the same problems.

The DirectX installation / upgrade, is very weird imho. Corruption or missing files would make the system not work at all, so I would be thinking about a problem with some cache / datastore, (registry) setting or so, however, not much experience in the DirectX specifics :S

>I am experiencing "Display Driver Stopped Responding" messages sometimes under Vista + ArmA. Not sure if they represent the same problems.

I had my first one of those yesterday, after a good few hours running both dedicated server (presumably not the cause) and client on same PC.

But this is not completely new to v1.14, I had several of those errors when I first tried ArmA on Vista 4 months ago. I think it was an upgrade of the nvidia drivers that made them go away at that time rather than an ArmA patch.

>Chaos, the problem is not your hardware as some people will try to convince you and argue otherwise. The game or possibly the latest Nvidia driver has a bug that causes this problem.

I don't follow...how are graphical corruptions related to what Chaos was talking about in his last post?

reporting some issues 1.14patch

server 15th meu

massive desynic , restarting the mission does little to fix the problem, as soon the mission  restarts again the yellow chain and desynic getting worser as the game goes on til crashes , 2 hours or soo into game massive lag were the game is locked up with no chains to inform you whats happening?

i played my 6 days off from work was only 1 game of coop evolution completed.

i tryed run clean install no mods same issues?

yay.gif KUNG FU mission complete !!  i fear desynic more than the enemy rofl.gif

Referring to my post in the trouble shooting forum...

Hi peeps...

I've been having crashes, somewhat similar to those described above, this is the first time I've had any real problems with ArmA.

The problem is that I changed my GPU and added a GO of ram just before the 1.14 release, so I was at a loss as to where the problem came from...

I have been using the Nvidia 175.16 drivers.

In desperation I installed the drivers that came with my new  Leadtek 8800gt, the 169.2 and lo & behold the problems have ceased...

I'm running every thing on high except PP and Blood  .

View distance about 2500 m.

24 hours no crashing (never crashed in the editor btw).

I hope I'm not putting the horse before the gate !

I will get back if need be.

Thanks

8800gt, E8400, 3go of ram and XP SP3.

I've also had a "Video driver is no longer responding message".

The screen shots posted in this thread are exactly the same that I experienced before stepping back my driver.

I will repeat that I have not had a crash since I installed the drivers that came with the video card.

I've fixed my crash problems by changing drivers.

Thanks...

other severs have less than 5-10 people thiers no other coop server more popular than 75th and 15th coop?

do the mods people have in these public severs affect  desynic when you join the game of during game play thier these errors that pop up saying you don't have this in your bin?

then thiers the fact that everyone spawns missions to rank up  do all these missions cause desynic?  

maybe they need a sever without missions and mods clean installs soo everyone is got the same everything?

then you got people who drive to the other towns that are not in order and activate the other towns causing more lag ??

which sever runs the best with no crashes for coop?huh.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif ShrubMiK now join a coop game see you fixed it for everyone LOL??? nener.gif

Just reinstalled ArmA to give this new patch a try and I was impressed by the new CTI. Me and a few buddies used to spend entire weekends in MFCTI 1.16 and from the looks of it Warfare is all that and more. Thanks for finally bringing back the best game mode ever created for old OFP!

Now I just need to upgrade this wheezing 7600gt and I'll be all set...

Played a Domination session last night, and witnessed waaaay to many M107 users. Turns out it now has nearly no recoil at all, making it far too easy to use in the up position. I thought the eariler patch had this weapon in perfect balance as far as recoil versus stances are concerned...

M107 is now an assault cannon confused_o.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif ShrubMiK  now join a coop game see you fixed it for everyone LOL???  nener.gif

And your point is?

I realise the fashion round here is to assume that just because one person has a problem, it must OBVIOUSLY be a general ArmA problem, with no further investigation required.

And similarly, if one single server has a problem, then it must OBVIOUSLY be a general ArmA problem, with no further investigation required.

Okay, ive done a complete fresh install of Windows Vista, fully up dated with SP1, drivers etc - installed ArmA, then patched to 1.14, still have the same lag.

I think it is just a LOD issue for me, the game runs smooth until I turn or look through a scope. Im not sure if you can adjust when the LODs are used in ArmA?

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

3070 meg of ram (3 Gig)

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512meg

640Gig Raid Array

Windows Vista Home Premium

Okay, ive done a complete fresh install of Windows Vista, fully up dated with SP1, drivers etc - installed ArmA, then patched to 1.14, still have the same lag.

I think it is just a LOD issue for me, the game runs smooth until I turn or look through a scope. Im not sure if you can adjust when the LODs are used in ArmA?

Intel Core2 Quad CPU   Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

3070 meg of ram (3 Gig)

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512meg

640Gig Raid Array

Windows Vista Home Premium

What videodriver? Try driver 177.26 (must fully uninstall previous one first!wink_o.gif.

All settings very high, except AntiAliasing, switch it between off, and normal to find best results.

Try deleting arma.cfg from my documents\arma

Other than that; The Kegetys fix for trees and bushes might help you smile_o.gif

Running 1.75.16

Tried all of that accept for the bushes smile_o.gif but as I see it 1.08 runs smooth, its only something new in 1.14, and it seems linked with LODs or object viewing.

Incredible but true, getPosASL and setPosASL are still buggy, distance command gets messed up by wrong coords, modelToWorld fails too when over buildings. IMO this is a critical bug still pending to be fixed.

MP problem...

Sometimes players don't connect properly during jip.

You can see it when they type some text in the chat (-), they do not have any group sign like 1-1-E or whatever before their name and you can't see their name ingame (using regular difficulty for example).

What happens is that sometimes client side scripts do not work as expected.

Xeno

Noticed that in 1.05 or so Xeno, try running ALL scripts from init.sqs and let the first line be:

@(!isNull group player) || (local serverObject)

(maybe one can use "IsServer" nowadays)

but yeah, it's still a valid bug for this thread smile_o.gif

Well, maybe it is not really a "bug" but bad thing. <span style='color:red'>The good old OFP Animation "para" (HALO jumper animation) is missed</span> in ArmA. So units aren´t looking good in case of HALO jump.

Not possible to use the OFP rtm in ArmA?