Sign in to follow this  
wloc

let's jump

I'd like to complain about there isn't ability to jump in Armed Assault banghead.gif

the arma develop team should think about it for ArmA II, please

What is the advantage of jumping? Like all those other games where you see people jump around like total asses? Or maybe just jump over certain small/low objects? (which could just be done by applying some roadlods I guess).

The better solution will be jumping over some lower obstacles [like in Call of Duty 2-4] and climbing up lower walls and not jumping around like mad goats.

No for permanent jumping

Yes for possibility to get through small walls, obstacles, trenches, wires, sandbags etc. (like COD4)

I think the speed of this action should depends on your bag's weight.

I'd like to complain about there isn't ability to jump in Armed Assault banghead.gif

the arma develop team should think about it for ArmA II, please

It would be nice. On the other side of things a dive like OFP SLX has to get down faster would be nice too.

Jumping really should be added to the game... but it should be controlled by a weight system. If your a soldier carrying a full load, you shouldn't be able to jump any more then someone in real life would be able to. If your a civ, carrying nothing at all... you should be free to jump with perhaps restrictions like CoD where you can't make a full jump right after you just jumped... and you don't run as fast for a few steps after a jump, making you an easy target.

The ability to climb over certain objects owuld be good too, but i still fail to see why a well designed jumping system would be such a bad thing. It is possible to have jumping in a game, and have no bunny hopping.

I dont think we should have a jump system but a COD2 leap over objects system. Why? Because Jumping is not realistic, apart from jumping to to get over mabe small holes, or over a small fence with all that weight a soldier wouldnt be jumping much will he?

plus Jumping is so open to abuse,Lets see, Bunny hopping, Dolphin diving, and i think Jumping looks rubbish is not done properly.

I think jumping is pretty much useless but I wouldn't object to it.

But climbing over obstacles up to a person's waist (weapon in hand) or up to a person's head (weapon on shoulder) is pretty good and useful.

I find no excuse for a grown up person (and a soldier) to be unable to mantle over a garden fence or climb through an open window.

I would also suggest crouching after falling of heights. I am talking about when you fall of a small height, the character lands like a log and stays motionless like he remembered something important.

What he should do, is to crouch at contact and then stand up again quickly.

Jumping or the ability to climb over smaller obstacles is only one Point of the things Soldiers must be able in a INFANTRY-FOCUSED <span style='color:red'>SIMULATION</span> (as the calling it).

You should for instance also be abale to jump, or better to "hang-down" from lower roofes and such.

There should be simply more freedom for the Soldiers - period!

Regards, Christian

I would love to see climbing over obstacles.

If that would be 100% functional, jumping itself would be totally unnecessary.

Jumping should be in,

It's much more versatile and easy to implement rather than manually adding a new lod or a "climb" function to each and every object you might encounter (rocks, trunks, low barbwire, sandbags...)

If you make it controlled by the weight of the gear and your speed or make it accessible only through the action menu (and not a key), you can perfectly avoid bunny hopping while allowing you to use the feature in specific and realistic cases.

Military do drills where they jump, cross rivers, pass over wall, climb ropes etc...

It should be hard, but not impossible.

Would be nice to see ingame some kind of realistic jumping with "pros" and "cons". In most games its implemented as an kind of god-move and kids are able to avoid incoming fire or jumping from ground to rooftop. Jumping in ArmA should be not only affected by weight and speed - stamina and health are another main facts aswell as using proper objects to jump from and on. Well, instruction/training missions would be nice too - otherwise I guess many people will blame BIS because they got injured/dead ingame after FPS/Unreal jumps.

If anything I think it should be Assassin's Creed style, with the game detecting what you obviously want to do e.g. jump over a stream; off a ledge etc.

Please have a look at Teacup animation addon in the Arma section : you have a perfect example of realistic and moderated "jumps" that have nothing to do with counterstrike.

COD4 and Assassins Creed are good examples.

2nd the motion on no "bunny hops"

Change the topic to "Let's Hop/Climb"

...over walls, vehicles, statues, the option should only come up when near an obstacle, except over barbed/razor wire (where you have wire cutters and need to crawl).

Making the space bar context sensitive and having it deal with obstacles would be nice. Especialy if you could climb onto places to snipe, and it would fix the problem where you and your men break your legs trying to get down from a building you parachuted onto.

Yeah. Soft landings are welcome - currently soldiers fall on straight legs... such things look painful, don't they?

Beware when mentioning Assassins Creed, we dont need 16th century parkour.

But I think something could be implemented such as COD4 (going through open windows etc)

Modern day soldiers don't jump as they are too weighed down with weapons,ammo,body amour etc. not to mention the fact that it's exhausting.They may "hop" over small obstacles.

And we don't want jumping per se as all you end up with is a load of bunny hoppers that simply ruin the game.

teaCup's TCP AnimPack shows how it should be done and there's a video on YouTube showing the animations.

No for permanent jumping

Yes for possibility to get through small walls, obstacles, trenches, wires, sandbags etc. (like COD4)

Yes! 100% right xD

And we don't want jumping per se as all you end up with is a load of bunny hoppers that simply ruin the game.

If you actually play certain of FPS's, you learn that there is not nearly as much bunny hoping in most of them as alot of people here seem to believe. For example, I play COD4 for an hour or two a night on all sorts of diffrent servers, with hundreds of people... and I might come across a couple bunny hoppers here and there. So just because a game has the ability to jump, your not always going to be tons of BH's

Mostly because jumping is done realisticly and restricted in COD4, so you can't jump several times in a row. Of course, if you play Counter Strikeor the BF games where jumping is alot more free, you can run into a ton of hoppers. But even then the actual amount of people who you run into that are BH's tends to be fairly small. So if ArmA2 had a restrictive jumping system based on weight.... things would be just fine.

Bunny hoppers would be even less likely in a game like ArmA2 which is likely going to draw in a more mature gaming community... tho that might be quite diffrent when it comes to the console version. Again tho, as seems to be forgoten alot around here... ArmA2 is in fact a game, and not everything has to be 100% realistic. Besides, if Im a civilian in the game, I should be able to jump....... if I can't thats not very realistic.

You don't need bunnyhopping to make the jumping look retarded.

I'll use CoD4 as an example.

Every time you jump you jump lower. That's good, it eliminates bunnyhopping or noticeably reduces it.

But now tell me what do you do when there's an enemy behind a corner. Will you crouch down and slowly approach it?

Of course not. You'll just use the advantage of the first jump and simply jump from behind the corner matrix style.

That would not be a very convenient style for a game that's supposed to be as realistic as possible.

Besides, if the "hop-over-obstacle" system would work well, why would you need to jump anyway?

No for permanent jumping

Exactly. no no no for permanent jumping. Just the thought of players jumping around in MP just to avoid possible enemy fire can ruin the game completely.