Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

Agree, Schmalfelden is CAS chopper country! (insertions and gunships)

There are other big maps which are good for fast-jet dogfights...

(or just play LOMAC tounge2.gif )

Thanks again NB!

Well weighing it all up and looking at how you would extend a "no mans land" large area for just an airstrip, Id simply say leave it to another map entirely and keep this how it is if thats the case.

+2

fix the small bugs and then leave it as is. this map is great thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the feedback. That idea is dropped!

Version 0.9 is at the bottom of the lead post:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1240365

Hopefully you will see continued improvement in frame rates. Important additions include additional hay rolls and brush along side the roads. Enjoy!

Next update will include the normal fixes, minor additions, and will be released in 2 versions. One with the forests as they are in this version, and the second with edge growth (some, probably not the entire map - it's going to take some time to complete all the forest edges).

A wellcome update as allways Nicholas smile_o.gif

Nice to see your still working on this great map yay.gif

Cool, downloading right now pistols.gif

Just for the point of saying, the first post mentions a screen/background pack I created for the map, there are 50 in total all at 1280x1024.

Grab at either mirror :

http://rapidshare.com/files/114327260/Schmalfelden_1280x1024.zip

Or

http://mihd.net/rg37zci

They are for windows background use and any mirror sites who want some ready made screen grabs to choose from. I did a "shit load" of them. wow_o.gif

Heres an example :

sh_forum1.jpg

And again a great version! notworthy.gif 30 to 40 fps while flying an AH-1Z cobra at 10 km viewdistance, 25 to 50 fps in the towns on the ground at 5 km viewdistance.

The lake is still causing problems. While driving into it, the player gets stuck inside.

I guess there is a smaller lake somewhere. I tried to walk in but I walked under the water crazy_o.gif

The hay rolls are nice smile_o.gif Although I needed them northern/northeast of Großbaerenweiler biggrin_o.gif I guess I'll have to place them by myself then.

I'm horny to get the final version in a few days/weeks yay.gif

Have you decided to release an auntumn version as well?

Are you going to create another german countryside? If yes, how would you like to create the area around Teistungen or Freienhagen in Thuringia. Until 1989/1990 it was former border land of the german democratic republic. It is countrylike too and would provide excellent cold war feeling if you'll set it up like in the 80s. Because I live there I could deliver you with real life photos and insider knowledge. biggrin_o.gif

Great yay.gif Thx for new version

simply outstanding!! an awesome map from the start, getting better and better still.

thank you!

I noticed the clearing of trees in the very southern/mid forest.

The reason I found out is I have setup a camp with UK camo nets/tents & with Land Rovers at the very bottom open area within the tree rows. When i loaded the new version ... i had to setup some fences and shift some tents that now had big trees stuck through the middle of them LOL.

FPS clearly gone up more, and I think i'm right in more signs places evenly etc.

One thing I noticed on the map before this release is the water splash sound seemed to emanate further than the small lake at the town, the foot sound trigger went on nearly onto the road, not sure with this new version.

So far since its release and playing the seize zones mission using this map I haven't played other maps much at all.

it's a nice map we've been using it a few weeks, and got a couple of missions there.

I have 1 small request (if even possible) and that is, zooming out on the map view, i can only see maybe 25% when fully zoomed out which is fine for ground, but hard to try and fly in, panning around etc.

Other than that, its great, frames are up for everyone, and the clocks work on the churches (maybe they did in stock arma, but i never noticed before)!

a+

Good to note the improved frame rates. Probably won't be so good once the forest edge growth gets added, but that's why there will be 2 versions from here out.

Quote[/b] ]The lake is still causing problems. While driving into it, the player gets stuck inside.

This is related to the 10 meter grid. To make the ponds approximate their real size requires deep cuts on a few vertices, resulting in steep slopes and ridges under the water level.

Quote[/b] ]The hay rolls are nice smile_o.gif Although I needed them northern/northeast of Großbaerenweiler biggrin_o.gif I guess I'll have to place them by myself then.

You should have told me biggrin_o.gif Well maybe next version. I've been putting them on fields where the color & texture were appropriate.

Quote[/b] ]Have you decided to release an auntumn version as well?

I'm experimenting with it. I am not satisfied with the results. No fault of Kondor who made the autumn plants mod. Rather, it's the limited number tree types I used to create the forests, and the specific types I used. It doesn't look natural, and the only way to fix it would be to "replant" the forests - again. I don't think I'm up to redoing 120,000 trees again biggrin_o.gif We'll see.

Perhaps an intrepid soul would like to give it a try themselves? Download the Visitor Source Files for Schmalfelden at the bottom of the first post and modify the map to fit your need:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=73113

Quote[/b] ]and the clocks work on the churches

Yes, but I can't get the darn ladders to work. Both related to proper binarization. Why one and not the other?

Yes, but I can't get the darn ladders to work. Both related to proper binarization. Why one and not the other?

Yeah this is a pain in the ass issue!

Just wanted to say thanks for your hard work, Nicholas.

FRs are very smooth around the map and it looks perfect. notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Stew

Does anybody else get an issue in the forest where the HDR gets overwhelmingly bright? The forests run better, but I often get the whole screen washed out, which is very ugly and hard to play with.

Yeah, I noticed the trees looked different in this version, more lighter colored. Not seen them overwhelmingly bright, yet. What time of the day was it?

Quote[/b] ]Does anybody else get an issue in the forest where the HDR gets overwhelmingly bright?

I found that too. i think its just Arma's HDR engine, with the balance of whats covering the sky around you vs detecting dense object, kind of seems to be a thing where too little cover = HDR is ok, too much cover HDR doesnt work and its dark, a bit of both HDR seems to get stuck in the middle of the two and goes mental.

I hate the damn HDR in this situation I think HDR should be fixed by user.

I dont think trees are any different though.

I have no technical explanation for the problem. I have one test scenario in Speckheim where the mission starts as if I am looking directly into the sun and then the brightness fades to normal. Only that mission, though.

Currently working on redoing the forest edges:

No brush:

NoEdgeGrowth.jpg

With edge growth:

EdgeGrowth.jpg

This is slow work.

Very nice feature !

At last a place where I can hide biggrin_o.gif

Hi and thank you for a great map. Got a lot of potential for missionmaking. Made my first mission here. One question: Discovered that non of the doors or ladders are working inside buildings. Could not see anyone making this remark before. Is it possible to get it to work?