Sign in to follow this  
ANTH

Arma has it lost or gained?

Do you think Arma has lost a lot of its multilayer players or gained some i think on the co-op side of things its actually excelled but on the pvp side it has lost a large fan base.

It seems to me as though its a game that has set out to please one side of the community and forget about the other side, maybe its a question that will never get answered but do bis plan to do anything about getting back the players they have lost? Or is it bis's intentions to concentrate an the co-op side of the game and forget the other half.

Its hard to get a good balance of a game to please all sides but for me this is a one sided game without a doubt.

Whatever has happened, the patches since 1.08 have split up the multiplayer community pretty badly. The sooner we get a final patch the better.

Last hope is a FINAL patch to fix all known stuff, and that QUICK!

After the game is some sort of final, the modding teams can continue their work on an new base and release new cool stuff that keeps the ppl interested. (Replacement addons, effect mods, sound mods, etc.)

At the moment, there are:

- 1.08 players

- 1.09b players

- 1.11b players

- 1.12b players

- 1.08 Queens Gambit players

- 1.09b Queens Gambit players

- 1.11b Queens Gambit players

- 1.12b Queens Gambit players

We quick need:

80% 1.20 Final nonQueens Gambit players

and

20% 1.20 Final Queens Gambit players

Then I think arma(mp) can stay alive for some more month.

Let's hope the best.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Agreed on the patch issue..

Here in South Africa my single local server has been stuck on 1.08 for months now. The company that manage it don't allow beta patches.

Stability issues have driven away newer guys. The latest betas are more stable.

Playing SP in stable 1.12, and then having to play MP in unstable 1.08 (which hates my 8800) isn't ideal.

I'm glad that BIS have taken the time to release multiple betas.

Still hoping the final will be released soonish..

I definetly think it's overall the issue of people being scattered around the patches, yet if it divides co-op and pvp-ers. I don't think BIS is responsible for that. Overall I think the current player-base is growing more towards co-op and it appeals to more technical gamers for which the game is being advertised.

Now I like a great TeamvsTeam game, but as I've heard others say, that's not why I play ArmA. And having TvsT like the Co-ops i play we need a new revolution in servers and maybe in the patches.

And to be a bit more on-topic (sorry started reading the wrong question I guess) I've seen more people on the 6thSense server with the new beta's then with 1.08 or even older patches

I've started playing again so I'd say it's gained! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I definetly think it's overall the issue of people being scattered around the patches, yet if it divides co-op and pvp-ers. I don't think BIS is responsible for that. Overall I think the current player-base is growing more towards co-op and it appeals to more technical gamers for which the game is being advertised.

You see I do blame them... I mean if you release a game with so many issues and problems then things will get very sloppy in terms of + patches and complications, if the game is not polished enough then why release it in the first place. But overall I think this was just a side project that was shouted for by the community to be released and released it was buggy as it was.

Now ive been playing on a few server as of late co-ops are really fun to play, but I just cant seem to get into the very few pvp servers that are up. Not sure if its the fact that the ofp models just responded better and see that as better in my eyes its not that I want cs models/animations I just would like to see them a little speeded up (not running speed) even small things that bug me like when you crouched and ran then stopped you stayed crouched.

Put it this way if ofp had good cheat protection I would still be playing ofp over arma, but ive been down this path before and bis knows how I feel about that side of the game, personally I think arma is on a downfall I maybe wrong but I have high hopes they will sort it.

I started playing MP at 1.11 so in my opinion it has gained. The Tactical Gamer server is amazing for anyone who likes Coops and to a lesser extent (they aren't played as much) T vs. T.

Do you mean lost since ofp or what? The patches make the game smoother and smoother from where I'm standing. That should be conducive to any kind of play... and ArmA seem to have never pleased the PvPers since v.1. So, I don't think you can say it's been getting less and less appealing to PvPers.

I think it's BIS's intention to make a good sandbox game and let the players play whatever they want with it. I don't think that giving the thumbs up to the coop players and the finger to the pvp players enters into it.

I've started playing again so I'd say it's gained! smile_o.gif

Same here, everytime a patch is released , I play again.

Altho it hasn't given me anything new really. Still runs fine with me and not any new content

I have no idea however the v1.12beta, as it's also available as Linux server, should imho be able to reunite all those that are split.

v1.12final will be nice too, but what's wrong with the current v1.12beta?

For those hosts that don't allow beta versions to run, you should ask them what the difference is between ArmA v1.0-1.02 official versions, and v1.12beta.

I vote v1.12beta to be more stable, and of better quality smile_o.gif

... and ArmA seem to have never pleased the PvPers since v.1. So, I don't think you can say it's been getting less and less appealing to PvPers...

That doesn't apply to all PvP players. Mostly just small scale CTF players.

There are large scale organised PvP games.

I started playing MP at 1.11 so in my opinion it has gained.

Yes i played some PvP on 1.11 and it was great to shoot some non ai's

I still dont understand why not more people play PvP because i think it was very do-able on the patches up to 1.12.

Do you mean lost since ofp or what? The patches make the game smoother and smoother from where I'm standing. That should be conducive to any kind of play... and ArmA seem to have never pleased the PvPers since v.1. So, I don't think you can say it's been getting less and less appealing to PvPers.

I think it's BIS's intention to make a good sandbox game and let the players play whatever they want with it. I don't think that giving the thumbs up to the coop players and the finger to the pvp players enters into it.

Yes since ofp, has it been a good move by them in other words

Compared to the fanbase of Ofp, ArmA is a total catastrophe. Ofp sold millions of games and had a very pleased crowd of fans for over 6 years, even now there are fun servers up! BIS has reveled that no big changes to the game will be done regarding ArmA2 so most of the people from Ofp who bought ArmA and didn't like it won't likely buy ArmA2. I think even guys who are sort of pleased with the game will wait since the releases from BIS initaly looked like poor betas and the promised functionality comes after several months after release.

I started playing MP at 1.11 so in my opinion it has gained.

Yes i played some PvP on 1.11 and it was great to shoot some non ai's

I still dont understand why not more people play PvP because i think it was very do-able on the patches up to 1.12.

The few times I have played P v P it has been a lot less like real war than I would want it to be. It was pretty much just one guy taking out the entire attacking force or one guy taking out the entire defending force. It wasn't anything like the coops I play where there are squads together but more like random guys all over the place. That is one of the flaws I find with all P v P games from Perfect Dark (which I understand was never mean't to be squad based) to things like the Delta Force games and many others.

Personally I like the squad-based things in Coop more.

It ain't all negativity. 300 000 copies sold ain't bad at all..

And there might not be many guys playing ArmA online..but I bet there are groups of lanners everywhere. I only ever lanned OFP.

Lan OFP\ArmA with friends is much, much more appealing than playing on a public server, or even a well organised "proper" server.

I only play online because my student days have ended and my group of gamer friends went their separate ways. If it was easy meeting fellow OFP\ArmA fans in the workplace (ha), I'd never, ever play online..

I'm not sure what the complaint is. I find ArmA to be superior to OFP in every way... if played some small scale antagonistic games, some large scale ones.. I'm not a huge online player but I find ArmA much nicer.

Do you mean lost since ofp or what?  The patches make the game smoother and smoother from where I'm standing.  That should be conducive to any kind of play... and ArmA seem to have never pleased the PvPers since v.1.  So, I don't think you can say it's been getting less and less appealing to PvPers.

I think it's BIS's intention to make a good sandbox game and let the players play whatever they want with it.  I don't think that giving the thumbs up to the coop players and the finger to the pvp players enters into it.

I'm not sure what the complaint is.  I find ArmA to be superior to OFP in every way... if played some small scale antagonistic games, some large scale ones.. I'm not a huge online player but I find ArmA much nicer.

agree 100%. Arma is far superior and keeps getting even better with each patch.

...BIS has reveled that no big changes to the game will be done regarding ArmA2...

Bullshit. If you're not going to read previews (and realise that they wont show much at this stage anyway), at least don't go make up crap like that.

BIS has reveled that no big changes to the game will be done regarding ArmA2 so most of the people from Ofp who bought ArmA and didn't like it won't likely buy ArmA2.

Please link us to where you got that little gem from? icon_rolleyes.gif

I assume by saying 'most' you have in-depth knowledge of everyone who will purchase ArmAII.

I never played OFP (well I did once at a friends and enjoyed it). I enjoy ArmA although I do find it a rather rough diamond.

I will purchase ArmA II as I have enjoye my MP sessions with my friends.

We are now just waiting for the patch to resume play smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]...at least don't go make up crap like that

I think the interview Jerry Hopper did with BIS lead programmer confirmed this "crap". You can interpret it as you wan't. Flashy textures, 5 more flies in the woods, AI's doing handsignals while refusing passing a bridge or sniping you from 500m or 10 more scriptcommands to bug up the missions with is not anything revolutioning compared to ArmA. You could even see it as very subtile changes made to that game compared to Ofp -> ArmA and that is what this thread is about...

HamishUK, read my post again m8. If happy ArmA-customers buy ArmA2, no suprise. If unhappy ArmA-customers buy ArmA2, big suprise...

I realize i have to clearify my stand. I like BIS. I love Ofp. I adore the idea behind the game and the little guys fight against the big dragons. I hate the fact ArmA2 might be the last game BIS will ever do. I hate the fact I haven't met one single person in real life who has liked this game. Not even remotely. This is what we as a community has to deal with...if we bother.

Flashy textures, 5 more flies in the woods, AI's doing handsignals while refusing passing a bridge or sniping you from 500m or 10 more scriptcommands to bug up the missions with is not anything revolutioning compared to ArmA.

Sorry, I don't know where you get your information from, maybe there's a beta out that I don't know about, but how do you want to know how the AI will behave in ArmA2? And the hand signals aren't the only confirmed improvement on the AI. It has been said, that they will be able to move and use cover more effectively and be more efficient in CQB. Looking at the direction ArmA has been taking when it comes to improvements, I see no reason not to believe that. And the AI crossing bridges problem has already been mostly remedied.

"5 more flies in the woods" is also total bollocks. BI have stated that they are working on animals, and (as visual proof) there is footage of an animated pig in a german gaming magazine video.

I do agree that many people do not like ArmA, and I fully understand it. ArmA is a niche game, mainly intended for fans of realistic military combat, as opposed to running and gunning. The majority of people prefer to play CS/BF and the like - and I'm glad of that, because most idiots and kiddies stick to those games too.

What we as a community have to deal with, sadly far too often, is blatant trolling.

Ofcourse, you are right. I don't know why I posted such wierd thoughts. ArmA is excellent and ArmA2 will be the beauty of all games.

notworthy.gif

I will punish myself for the blasphemy I did today on this eminent forum. And I will never speak about the obvious again...

And by the way ANTH, I think you can do the math yourself by now... wink_o.gif

I think its a refreshing change to see a sim that does have more COOP than PvP.

If you really take a look around at all the other franchises (Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six etc) that are making COOP less part of MP and sticking PvP type gameplay (by making less player slots for COOP and limited map usage .. not to mention "going linear"), there are shed loads of COOP people complaining.

I welcome it .. lets face it, VBS is where its from and that SIM for the military would certainly make use of COOP.

Im not a fanboy of a certain gameplay type but COOP just seems more logical wih large sims like this.