Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.11

Hi LastNinja9

ArmA is a 32 bit application.

Windows 64 is still an early adopter platform; if you enjoy being the guinea pig by all means test it out for everyone.

Drivers for windows 64 bit will not get the same level of support or attention as the majority customer 32 bit from card suppliers.

Kind regards walker

72 @ Mar. 24 2008,12:25)]@Nikoo: Yes i wrote it before. i have same problem. some people can connect to me and some dont.

However. i tried to connect to dedicated and said connection failed. then i go to FILTER and BattlEye ON - after that i can connect.

Thaught it was ONLY a filter to see who uses it or not, but it seems to be turn ON turn OFF BattlEye...?

mm, not quite sure.

With my friends, we've noticed what you're talking about (switching on/off battleeye in the filters, which seems like you said to also activate/deactivate battleye for real), but for us, it didn't make any difference.

One can't join an MP game hosted by a simple computer of a friend.

We have all (4 people, one after the other) tried several times to create an MP game, waiting for others to join (playing also with on/off battleeye in filters) and we couldn't join at all : Connexion failed.

huh.gif

Let's hope this fix come soon.

Thanks for making ArmA better! Found some more things for improvement:

- BMP-2, BMP-2 Ambulance, BRDM-2, BRDM-ATGM have stronger armor than any other vehicle. You need 2 satchel charges to destroy those BMP's and BRDM's. Could this been changed that all Main Battle Tanks(T-72,M1A1) will only explode via touching off 2 satchels?

- recoil of machineguns is now too little

- standard AI pilots (in planes) fly to low over (hostile) area. It's annoying - modern planes with missiles and bomb's usually fire their weapons farther away on targets than in ArmA. LGB's are standoff weapons no need to fly into hot zones (AAA) = Improving AI targeting and selection of weapons. smile_o.gif

- standard AI helicopter pilots need some practice flying last metres to waypoints better to slow down speed and maintain/gain altitude instead of this radical speedbreak-noseup turn.

- AA soldiers should fire at planes too

- AI in vehicle should know if bridge is destroyed and find some alternative way around or say at least "Can't get there!"

- "Hold Fire" should be strictly followed, to often AI break weapon silence even in stealth mode

- objects placed on top of buildings don't fall down if building is destroyed (they even get no damage)

- AI walk through doors without open or close them

- there is no action option "open/close" if AI is close to bar gate

- would be nice to have some more default "satchel-options" like:

+ add numbers to satchel charges so player and AI can touch them off in different sequences

+ placing satchel in vehicles (if player/AI is inside)

+ AI should not touch off satchels if they get "Hold Fire"

- AI sometimes don't stop shooting if they change position (eg from stand to prone to low) - is this kind of friendly fire in ArmA?

- AI sometimes start first shooting with rifles at tanks even if they have AT weapons

- little thin white lines break terrain in distance

I have none of the stutters people report here.

I don´t use latest OpenAL though. Maybe that is related.

I also do use -maxmem command as it seems that it gives me better performance.

Experienced a strange issue in two different missions though. When I got close to that gate bars that are placed at roads or at camps the bars began to fly and followed me and my movement and moved with me in a certain distance crazy_o.gif

I don´t have the slightest idea what could be the cause of that, but it´s definately something "alienesk".

Vehicle steering is still a solid pain in the ass with keyboard and mouse, but I have already given up to ask for direct mouse steering without that bloody annoying autocentre crap.

maybe it would help if BIS personel finally unplugged thier gamepads when testing such and experience on their own how bogus that kind of steering is.

Don't agree on the steering, it actually suits me fine. And don't get rid of the autocentre, instead make it:

OPTIONAL - one for each axis.

I just got a stuck soldier in the open after first being half stuck in a house in the last mission (depbo'ed long ago, maybe not latest version). I was however able to get him unstuck by bumping into him with the Stryker. I don't think this is something to fix in a patch, but maybe something for ArmA2: If player bump into AI, move the AI unit a few centimeters. Might both be helpful for future stuck units events, and also when you just can't get past AI unit in a narrow space.

Overall, great patch BIS.

A few issues:

MG gunners used to be quite ineffective while standing up (due to recoil), as it should be.  Now they can just stand there, blasting away, without any difficulty what-so-ever.  Seems this change is by design? confused_o.gif

As mentioned previously, ai still walk through walls, and temporarily occupy the same space in certain cases (like on roads).  IMO, this really should be ironed out in ArmA1. (i.e. before ArmA2)

I tried testing out the supposed bridge fix on a couple of ai infantry and armor groups with waypoints (each seperately).  While things seemed a bit better, not many of those poor bastards made it across to tell the tale. whistle.gif

Vehicle steering is still a solid pain in the ass with keyboard and mouse, but I have already given up to ask for direct mouse steering without that bloody annoying autocentre crap.

maybe it would help if BIS personel finally unplugged thier gamepads when testing such and experience on their own how bogus that kind of steering is.

Amen to that!

The forced mouse auto-center while driving (i.e. lack of option to disable) remains among the most voted for issues on the ArmA bugtracker.  Please BIS, give us the option to turn horrible mouse auto-centering off!

crazy_o.gif

Again despite these issues, the fixes are appreciated and please do keep em coming!

How did you choose direct sound instead of openal again? And what maxmem should be tested for 2gb RAM? experiment maybe until best is found? I thaught i read that in 1.11 BIS took the 1-500mb used by arma and put it on the RAM instead of the virtual and thus maxmem not needed anymore?

Im confused, from having some stutter here and there, yesterday when i got a friend to install 1.11 and we went to several servers the gameplay was close to unbearable all the time except sometimes when it was very fluent. Textures loaded/unloaded back and forth in front of our eyes often. Such a mess that wasnt there 2 days ago. I suspected some form of FADE working in the background lol. Makes me so sad as this is the only game that do any fun for me these days. Hope it gets fixed, hope direct sound and some maxmem or whatever do anything good.

Regards

Alex

I don´t use latest OpenAL though. Maybe that is related.

there is reason why official FAQ page recommends update to latest OpenAl as very first entry ... whistle.gif

Overall I like v1.11 except that the Joystick does not work anymore. I know I am old fashioned and still use one, but in this version it will not work.

_ Microsoft Sidewinder Pro_

Thanks

Does NWD Ballistics work with this new patch?

I know that Q11 recoils don't.

It's really a shame, those were mod too good.

NWD ballistics seems to work good for me.

I think i go back to 1.09. Maybe a reinstall of 1.11 will do something. From installation day where i could play with 5000VD in domination full server and no stutter at all except some small here and there to today where i have 9-20 FPS online and 150 FPS (150 without vsync, and 85 with) in the editor with units/tanks/air etc.

I dont get it. Havent changed anything except forcing vsync off to try. Same result.

/Alex

I've been using a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro, and I haven't had any problems. Actually, I was about to say

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

for fixing the rudder in the planes!

I can finally fly proper air support in the A-10, before, it was almost impossible to line up for a gun run unless your viewdistance is 3000+, unless you're on Sakakah.

I played some Fulda Gap mission online a couple days ago and flew the A-10, and the difference in 1.09 and 1.11 is AMAZING. I was finally able to use the nose gun to great effect, and save the missiles for AAA threats. Being able to yaw makes ALL the difference.

The throttle still needs to be unbound from the pitch for the planes to be completely fixed. Using the F-16 addon, which has a throttle percentage indicator on the HUD, I saw that the throttle was only at zero, thirty percent, or one hundred percent, dependent on pitch. Makes landing properly difficult, the only way to flare without going 100% is to completely cut the throttle, which means there's no going around if you blew the runway or came in high. You just stall and crash.

Helicopters are still pretty wonky, I think their vertical movement is based on their inertia, which is a pretty poor substitute for simulated aerodynamics. Trying to dive behind a ridgeline quickly too often ends up with the chopper diving right into the ground, even in a nose-up attitude at 100+ kph.

Quote[/b] ]there is reason why official FAQ page recommends update to latest OpenAl as very first entry ...

I guess you got me wrong. If have NO stutters at all that others are reporting and the only difference between their installation and mine is that I have older OpenAl (from Arma DVD) wink_o.gif

I use older version as the latest OpenAl delays my Arma start for 2 minutes.

Quote[/b] ]And what maxmem should be tested for 2gb RAM?

I´m now using 512 MB as 768 MB produced freezes here.

Delete this post please. found the problem...kinda.

was about battleEye=0/1

thanks

Does NWD Ballistics work with this new patch?

I know that Q11 recoils don't.

It's really a shame, those were mod too good.

i am using Q11 recoil and it seems to working confused_o.gif

Getting the Linux servers patched is an absolute must! Half of the servers out there are stuck on 1.08 because of this. The community is split up.

Getting the Linux servers patched is an absolute must!  Half of the servers out there are stuck on 1.08 because of this.  The community is split up.

Thats what i said from the first about the community split up. Seems though some people here just like to argue a fact. Right now we are going to have 1.08/1.09/1.11 servers. And worse still, nearly all of them are for coop Evolution.

I have never seen one Ctf server testing 1.11 patch, but that might be down to the fact that this game is rubbish for Ctf and only good for that crappy coop Evolution... That for the best part is laggy as hell. Come to think of it there is only ever 1 or 2 servers when it comes to patch 1.08 and Ctf.  banghead.gif  banghead.gif

Btw This new patch has made me lose fps, so much for smoother gameplay, or maybe its just coop Evolution lagg.

Vehicle steering is still a solid pain in the ass..

Beside that, there is another thing I really don't like.

It's the "auto head movement" when turning the steering wheel with free look enabled.

If you don't know what I mean, watch this little video:

http://lee.plankton.ch/Freelook.wmv

Please BIS, fix it!

MfG Lee crazy_o.gif

Getting the Linux servers patched is an absolute must! Half of the servers out there are stuck on 1.08 because of this. The community is split up.

This has been said a million times now, repeating it over and over and over again doesn't make things happen faster.

We know it by now.

Getting the Linux servers patched is an absolute must!  Half of the servers out there are stuck on 1.08 because of this.  The community is split up.

To be honest i won't hold my breath for it to happen in this version of the game. I mean how long ago was it first mentioned? and with Armed Assault 2 comming. Like i said i won't hold my breath.

To be honest i won't hold my breath for it to happen in this version of the game. I mean how long ago was it first mentioned? and with Armed Assault 2 comming. Like i said i won't hold my breath.

If you take a close look at the list in MP, you'll see that there is a BI Linux test server running. They are also gathering feedback from the community on certain bugs that are happening under Linux. I'm not in on the current development status of the Linux server, but I'm guessing that they're working their asses off to get a working version out ASAP.

Quote[/b] ]I have never seen one Ctf server testing 1.11 patch

You will when people can finally connect to my (among others) server...

Quote[/b] ]this game is rubbish for Ctf and only good for that crappy coop Evolution...

I disagree. This game is great for ctf, c&h, dm, AND coop. While I prefer PvP also, it does seem much more effort is put into coop maps. Where are you Zaphod? WE NEED YOU!!!

Anyways, besides the server issues, 1.11 has been flawless on my system (to stay somewhat on topic).  

Mosh

I disagree. This game is great for ctf, c&h, dm, AND coop. While I prefer PvP also, it does seem much more effort is put into coop maps. Where are you Zaphod? WE NEED YOU!!!

If it was that great then i'm sure we would see more then 2 or 3 Ctf servers for 1.08. Also why wouldn't i be able to connect to your server that you claim is 1.11? I see coop evolution for 1.11 and can connect to that no problem, so why couldn't i connect to a ctf server running 1.11?

Some suggestions dude.

1. Start you own firefoxlover.gif  CTF thread

2. Start you own firefoxlover.gif  CTF server

In case you haven't noticed this is supposed to be a patch feedback thread.

No big issues for me with the patch. No out of memory crashes.

No big issues for me with the patch. No out of memory crashes.

And have you noticed the impossibility to join an MP game hosted by a simple computer of a friend ? (i.e non-dedicated server)

Looks like many people are saying "no problem" without testing more thoroughly... icon_rolleyes.gif