Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

A map based on the actual area around Schmalfelden, Germany located just west of Rothenburg o.d. Tauber and south of Wuerzburg where I was stationed with the US Army 1985-88.

1:50,000 scale map used for topo:

SchmalfeldenMapScan.jpg

Apart from my desire to fight on "real" terrain, I selected this area out of my map collection because it is great "tank country". Low rolling ridges with open farmland broken by forests. This area has very small farming communities scattered every few km's. Their small size should hopefully "help" the AI.

Sorry, no airfield. Too small to do much flying anyway, although I enough buzzing around in a helicopter.

The map is not an "island" so there will be the issue with distortion of the satellite image past the edge of the map. The map size is 5 km x 5 km.

I am using this imagery of the area as a base for geographic features. No guess work about where even singe trees and bushes are located (this is a low res version of what I am using):

Schmalfelden.jpg

Although it may appear to be "flat" when flying over it, the area is hardly so, and offers good hull-down positions for AFVs. The contours on this image are at 1 meter. The "mess" in center left is a quarry.

Topo.jpg

The road net is dense - typical of Germany. Orange lines are paved roads. I have "downgraded" most of the farm lanes to gravel or dirt. Actually most have light duty asphalt paving in Germany, but I thought it a bit "much", especially since the buildings provided in ArmA make everything have a Second World look about them - hardly prosperous enough to be paving farm lanes.

roadnet.jpg

Very nice and interesting, looking forward to use this map. smile_o.gif

looks really good, have you considered talking to the project '85 peeps at all?

Looking very good!

Nothing beats a real landscape, looking forward to any progress. Now if we only had a CPU friendly grain field going with it it would be a dream come true!

Keep it up inlove.gif

Excellent! I was really wanting some decent 1980s W. German

terrain!

In the real world, this area would, in theory, have been

the battleground for 4th Czech Army (at least) vs W. German

II Korps and US VII Corps.

Nice to see another island in the works, all the best with the development! smile_o.gif

Great looking map Sir - love it! biggrin_o.gif

Very nice work. Will be awesome for long-range armoured engagements given its open nature. Looking forward to it. wink_o.gif

I dont normally spam topics with "dude nice" type posts, but:

Dude, nice!

Will be fun to hunt around in armour on the German plains.

Great stuff, I look forward to the finished version. Relatively flat terrain like that is excellent for vehicle combat and lets machineguns dominate the open ground.

Regards,

Sander

Well the map size with 5 km x 5 km could be very small if you have some groups of moving tanks and modern combat is more combined arms then "tank only". But hell, looking forward to this piece of terrain. smile_o.gif

will it be compatible with 1.08 and without QG?

Your map made me tingle with excitement (I really love new maps wink_o.gif )

Looking very good.

Definatly a map I love to play, excellent choice thumbs-up.gif

Looks nice, very close to a german or any european farming landscape imo! biggrin_o.gif Looks so real, made me remember some old road trips with the family down in europe tounge2.gif

Lived around that part of Germany for 5 years and i have got to say that looks darn authentic. You have captured the aesthetics just right, good work man keep it up. thumbs-up.gif