Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

@Gibbon

Did that occur by default or after going up to speed? Sometimes the canopy will stick to the aircraft.

Hi.... smile_o.gif

After going up to speed. There are also problems with the landing train, in the take off the IA doesn't work.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1WKNnOPK0

FirmaArmed.jpg

Really great job Franze, like your plane also flight dinamic is good maybe is a little powerfull but its ok the handling of the airplane is good.

Like a lot the ejection sequence, first canopy release then seat shoot out and separation between pilot and seat its really cool and also realistic 100 time better than the default one.

The speed reference sistem on the HUD is fine, finally someone who use coerent speeds for all the flight phases especially during approach.

Not like default planes where you don't know the speed unit K/h, Kts huh.gif? and also on final approach you have to keep something like 200 not to stall (really a shit!!!!!wink_o.gif

Just a clarification (but its really a minor minor thing) on the speed scale of the HUD usually you have the IAS & Mach number instead TAS this is common for all the airplanes from Cessna to hornet.

The only concern i have "but your add on is a beta so maybe you're working on it" is about the texture. I think it should be improved.I like the A10 & harrier texture i think they're very well done especcially A10.

Please consider this as a critic also because i'm not an addon maker and so i don't know how is hard to build up a brand new add on!

Anyway great job thumbs-up.gif

Please consider this as a critic also because i'm not an addon maker and so i don't know how is hard to build up a brand new add on!

Please DON'T consider this as a critic also because i'm not an addon maker and so i don't know how is hard to build up a brand new add on!

The thing i've noticed is that the default game HUD in the top left (Shows Fuel, Damage, Speed, and Altitude) doesn't show up.

Is this intended?

From what I've read this is going to be a purely amazing Add-On!

I'm looking forward to loading it up when I get home tonite!

Quote[/b] ]ReadMe

------------

Known Issues

------------

- MP starts in aircraft can result in initial errors. These should not cause issues.

- Aircraft have not been tested on dedicated server. YMWV.

We Tested it yesterday for several Hours on our Dedi Server, and it seems to work fine.

Regarding the Initi Error: We Encounterd it a few times, mostly when we only had, restarted the mission and not have used "#missions".

And there are some minor sync errors, like Canopy is open for WSO but for Pilot its closed. Or WSO ejects but Pilot stays in Plane with closed Canopy. And on some reason you lose the "Open Canopy" dialog sometimes(I think it was when you get in the plane, move it a bit on ground, stop, get out and when you get back in the dialog has gone)

But as I said, the majority of fuctions work and we had a lot of fun.

Vary nice jet vary lovely iv got some issue and bugs with it dont know if this was said already but the ejection option does not work iv hit it and nothing happen just it says eject eject over and over, also the all weapont FA-18 with all the other ones i dont have it. It just an invisible person on the ground when i put it on map.

Nice plane but quite buggy...

since its a beta Ill list what I found during verry short test (all in 1.09) or isnt it 1.09 compatible?

-The canopy is missing sometimes (random) at start of mission.

-You can look "trough" the cockpit (transparancy?) to the runway

-I have no engine sound in 1st person view.

-The optics are upside down? (if you click rmb)

-The handling is way to fast imho and/or the engine too powefull.

@Franze

thank you for this outstanding plane...

I like the flight model improved, (non standar bis)

and also the aircraft trust is good! this is a jet not a chopper and we need power... afterburner helps in some cases smile_o.gif

The effect (visual) can be improved, and u can show, when no afterburner a little effect, or just a light effect, as seen in the VTE A4 skyhawk.. this would be nice.

We can tell to you a lot of thing, everyone as it's own desired features in mind.

But the most important thing is fixing the ST error and RPT growing, so we can use your "creature" in MP and dedi server.

ST report could be the result in texture stretch non aligned, the RHS Hind got same problem, there is some people that try to fix these rpt warning, If u need help about fixing please ask me or directly the RHS Hind developer.

this is a new era for Jet addons, your work is outstanding, please take a look at rpt problem.

THANK YOU !!!!

THANK YOU !!!!

Rubber

smile_o.gif

Damn this made my weekend.

Its great and i cant wait till its complete.

So far its a good start. Although i must point out

-on one of the lods or whatever it is.. the pilots head pokes through the canopy of the Fa-18/E

-The gun sound is a bit.... erm frustrating. its like just the base sound.

-man loves his dingy (and i love it too)

And for some reason a cant seem to get the weapon loadout mcgiggery to work

And on some reason you lose the "Open Canopy" dialog sometimes(I think it was when you get in the plane, move it a bit on ground, stop, get out and when you get back in the dialog has gone)

That would be correct, whenever the canopy is closed and the jet is gaining speed you lose the function to open it.

@wolfbite, can you provide an example as to how the dynamic reloading is not working, have you tried re-arming at an ammo truck or is something preventing you from doing so?

Ooops... ignore my arming lies... I should have read the manual.. Sorry..... hmm would be kool to add your payloads to Bis A-10

So, I haven't been much around for quite some time, but when I saw the F/A-18E/F in the News, I had to download and test it.

I'm aware of that it's Beta 0.1 Version, but I have to say, it is great. Like it really much. Especially the Arming Menu, that I can arm it the way I want with just a few clicks, that is great thumbs-up.gif

The Modell is looking nice, the Cockpit as it is said has some glitches, but there is very much potential in the Plane.

Looking forward to any improvements, don't loose motivation on this one mates inlove.gif

pls franze

first thing to do is fix ST warning and others rpt growing errors!!!

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Sometimes I don't get the option to eject. Its normally when i do need to eject. Or is this simulation of the ejector seat being buggered?

Perhaps the ejection seat mechanism has been damaged each time. :-)

I probably have some conflicting addons, which causes the pilot(s) to STAND in the cockpit (holding an invisible rifle).

Does anyone know what addon I should remove (I have too many to list).

GREAT addon, though the sensitivity is too high. You can't do such rapid turns at high velocity in real life.

Anyway, it really is great work !

@xav

Yes, there's something up with the horizon animation controllers. As soon as you go beyond 90 degrees in bank or pitch, the horizons appear to be reset. BIS aircraft seem to have this problem as well.

@Gibbon

There's a problem with the F/A-18F where the human is the commander. The AI refuses to obey movement commands and flies in a odd way. I'm not sure why this is but the solution is not to have a AI as the pilot. This probably has to do with the game not being compatible with commanders in aircraft (AI + AI in a single F/A-18F get the same results).

@mac81

TAS in KTS was chosen because the game AFAIK is pure TAS. I could script the speed to be displayed as IAS instead, and mach number would be pretty simple if we assume the air pressure is linear...

Texture - no plans to replace it at this time, sorry.

@lebson506th

Yes, the default game status display is disabled to force reliance on cockpit systems.

@Drake Starkiller

Yes, I'd imagine it works fair on a dedicated server, but the RPT errors and lack of binarization will make it tough (or so I'm told) to deploy on a server. The big thing is the scripting takes a lot of resources and pretty much everybody is going to need a monster machine (although you can help control this with clever switch manipulation - fz_f18_aicheck=1 is probably the best, if not well liked, solution to lag issues).

@1in1class

Did you try to eject while in flight or stationary on the ground?

Also, the F/A-18 Weapons unit will appear invisible because all the weapons are hidden by default.

@rundll.exe

Canopy missing at random - can't put my finger on this. Never encountered it before.

Lots of textures haven't been changed from FP, so there's some kind of light transparency in a lot of textures for some reason. Probably correctable through a reconversion with TexView2 but it was low on my 'to do' list.

First person sound will be extremely muted. This is an attempt to simulate hearing protection.

Optics upside down? I've only seen this in F/A-18F with AI as commander.

Handling and speed: jet capable of 7.5G turns with a limiter, which can be turned off to exceed that limit. Jet also capable of speeds greater than Mach 1.5 when in clean configuration.

@the_shadow

This shouldn't occur if the human is commander, but human shouldn't be commander even though it can work that way.

@Rubberkite

An engine effect - worth looking into.

RPT errors - I think I can correct these under binarization.

@wolfbite

The crew proxies may not be updated on all LODs (although I thought I got them all, but will check them out anyways).

Gun sound - Maybe this has something to do with sound settings. It's supposed to sound like a buzz, but it may be very annoying if your hearing is good.

Ejection Seat action not being available - not sure why? If you're in flight or moving at speed, it should always be available.

@LastNinja9

I think this should be correctable if I do custom crew animations. It's possible that animation mods or replacements change the default animation which I used on the aircraft.

Quick turns are possible in real life, only that the preference is not to do them unless it's an emergency.

@all

Thanks for the kind words again! wink_o.gif

I'll try to nail as many of these bugs as possible but I can't give any promises as to when I'll have them all fixed.

WO I was testing out how fast this guy was once again with a SLA rpg soldier and guess what? He hit me with the RPG when I was going over 500. I was amazed then a second after I crashed. Damn that AI had a lucky shot.

Small update, I figured out why the model had so many sections:

- Faces were not in order

- Some major glitches with the canopy

- Material bugs

I've managed to bring the sections down to below 20 in all detail LODs, although cockpits remain high at 30-50 - probably due to diverse texture sets in cockpit. These fixes have brought the ST errors down by 25%, so progress is being made in regards to performance. smile_o.gif

Small update, I figured out why the model had so many sections:

- Faces were not in order

- Some major glitches with the canopy

- Material bugs

I've managed to bring the sections down to below 20 in all detail LODs, although cockpits remain high at 30-50 - probably due to diverse texture sets in cockpit. These fixes have brought the ST errors down by 25%, so progress is being made in regards to performance. smile_o.gif

Well, keep up the EXCELLENT work!

I finally got a chance to give it a solid tryout today and I'm VERY impressed! Now I just need to figure out the best way to implement it into my missions! (I actually need a hand with it if anyone can shoot me a message or post it here...)

I want to make it so when the aircraft (F/A-18) is at it's designated home airfield it has the menu to rearm/select loadout... how can I make that happen? Please bear with me... I'm new to this stuff!

Well, keep up the EXCELLENT work!

I finally got a chance to give it a solid tryout today and I'm VERY impressed! Now I just need to figure out the best way to implement it into my missions! (I actually need a hand with it if anyone can shoot me a message or post it here...)

I want to make it so when the aircraft (F/A-18) is at it's designated home airfield it has the menu to rearm/select loadout... how can I make that happen? Please bear with me... I'm new to this stuff!

That is pretty simple:

In the fz_f18aws_tst.intro mission, there are two triggers:

The trigger to add the arming menu should have the following:

Condition:

vehicle player distance ammotruck < 100 and (vehicle player) iskindof "fz_f18e"

Activation:

armact = (vehicle player) addAction ["Arming Menu","dialog.sqs"]

The condition it set so that if the player's vehicle is within 100m of the unit ammotruck and the player's vehicle is from the fz_f18e class, it will add the action to use the arming menu. Now to remove the action, you need one more trigger:

Condition:

(vehicle player) distance ammotruck > 100

Activation:

(vehicle player) removeaction armact

Simply make some object at the center of the field - an invisible H object, road cone, etc. and call it "ammotruck". Then change the condition number for distance on both triggers to a greater value - a 500m radius is probably about right for most airfields.

Side note, binarizing the addon removes all the ST errors. smile_o.gif

I'll have this version uploaded tonight.

Re: Textures.....

I know it's not the greatest, however you have to realize something. First off, the A-10 and Harrier that comes in ArmA use a more 3D rendered shadow technique for their skins, so if Franze can do it, that'd help alot as most skins look better with rendered shadowing from the 3D editor. As Franze said, it's a port of OFP. So if it was created in 3DSMAX, it may be an older version, which doesn't support such a feature. If it can be added, alot of improvement will be of the texture. It's a beta, and so therefore it's not going to be perfect, and the intent at the outset was trying to improve it as much as possible. Unfortunately I think the rendering system in ArmA sucks anyways, LOMAC/Black Shark is far better and is more effective, 24-bit bitmaps are much much better looking IMHO and therefore you lose quality to a degree with the BIS system anyways.

Head sticking out of the canopy? Never once saw that either on the original version or the one I've played with.

F/A-18E/F upgraded to Beta 0.15. smile_o.gif

No gameplay changes (that I know of), but binarization results in no ST errors being generated in RPT, and model sections have been optimized (detail lods do not exceed 25 sections). Note that not ALL RPT errors have been fixed, but it's a massive improvement over beta 0.1's 4 meg RPTs.

See the main page for downloads or click here to get beta 0.15.