Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

Great Franze thumbs-up.gif

Gotta test the F/A-18 this evening after work with my Joystick, tested them only with Mouse and Keyboard biggrin_o.gif

Hiya, this mod is a brilliant addition to arma but i've got one problem that i cant seem to find the cause of, when i select the track gps target in flight, a gps target appears level with my horizon and not on the ground at the grid coordinate i clicked? any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks for the help, Franze!

I can't wait to load the new version! It's going to boost the level of gameplay on my server and in my missions by a huge factor!

Quote[/b] ]No gameplay changes (that I know of)

Any plans to alter the cannon sound? Cause it's hurting my speakers a little.

@Franze

thank you for answer.

here some multimedia material to give you an idea for what I say about engine.

hope to help you in your work smile_o.gif

this show night afterburner that looks more on blue..

OK now the ArmA Example

I do two short video to show you two feature in arma..

the engine light effect

http://www.alessiobaruffi.it/engine.avi

and the turbine progressive opening...

http://www.alessiobaruffi.it/progressiveopening.avi

******************************************************************************************

now IF u want, me and my friend Alef (that is good programmer and help me in scripting editing )

try to improve the liferaft function using the surfaceIswater command.

and the createvehicle start only if the pilot ejects in the water, also a smokeshell red will be added in the pilot inventory so

it can throw for pilot rescue prupose...

tell me if u like,

this is for let you more time to fix other issues..

Franze yes i can eject now its working wink_o.gif could you make like an few of the jets carry some of the diffrent weapons instead of haveing to run the script? Like just add a few more F/A-18s to the BLUEFOR? Nice work on this jet vary good love your work your AH-64s are vary nice to keep it up smile_o.gif

franze, the pilot/co-pilot should work if you set it up like the su34... it seems to work fine and everyone know that if you set your player to a higher rank, he is commander automatically... so there you go... but yea, on my machine, when you are commander, the jet just flies in circles to the right.... and gains altitude...

AI seams to have huge problems controlling this jet at slow speeds.

it constantly flaps it´s fins up and down making it pitch up and down constantly.

maybe you could fix this?

i was testing a F/A-18E and the textures look nice

but i change little bit , not most

look here

franze_f18.jpg

hope you like it

pm if you want them

@Gerkahn

Once you activate a targeting function, it creates a target 1000m from your position in the direction you need to face to score a hit on your intended target. You simply point your aircraft in that direction, acquire the target, and fire with the associated weapon. The target will automatically be moved to the position as soon as you fire.

@[CAS] Daniel

Yes, I have a couple guys working on some new sounds for general FX, M61 included. For now, the config should be in cpp format, so you can change the sound if you want to.

@Rubberkite

We chose a relatively mild burner + burner can FX for simplicity's sake. Cameras tend to exaggerate the effect, but there is room for improvement. Burner can petal motion - undecided at this point.

@1in1class

You can change the loadout in the init field of both aircraft. Next release I may make some canned scripts which will give certain default loadouts to the aircraft. Keep in mind that the aircraft can load some 70+ combinations of weapons, so making a loadout for every possible combination is far too cumbersome.

@HeAvY TrAnCe

The commander function of the F/A-18F is intended for multiplayer scenarios involving two players. The reason for commander instead of gunner: gunner has absolute control over weapons. In a single player situation this may be OK, but multiplayer, when latency is factored in, it makes it difficult to coordinate. By having a commander with certain functions and a pilot with absolute weapon control, it makes it much easier to get around pesky network problems. We may make an AI-compatible F/A-18F where the commander is replaced by a gunner - perhaps a new variant with duplicate pilot controls to simulate the training rigs.

@the_shadow

I'm aware of the issue but I'm not sure as to the cause. I believe it may have to do with the control sensitivity, to which the AI doesn't use efficiently. I'll see what I can do.

@eddyD

If you get ahold of me, I can send you the PSD templates we use on the external model. I have a standard grey VFA-14 markings set around somewhere. smile_o.gif

wow looks awesome with those textures.. you are quite an artist.

is this designed for a stick instead of a keyboard or something? I've tried to like this jet because it looks great and it had such a lot of effort put in to it, but i really dont enjoy flying it at all, its very twitchy and difficult to control, especially when trying to aim it to use the cannon

is this designed for a stick instead of a keyboard or something? I've tried to like this jet because it looks great and it had such a lot of effort put in to it, but i really dont enjoy flying it at all, its very twitchy and difficult to control, especially when trying to aim it to use the cannon

The mouse, is the way smile_o.gif

when you need precision adjustment for rockets or gun, use the mouse instead keyboard...

your signature must be changed... in waiting 1.11 smile_o.gif

@Franze pls answer me, for the question about liferaft, so if you want we do some tweak for you, so u have time to fix other issues.

Very nice!

I like the weapons and the possibility to just try some loadouts and then land and get another. good! Very good! Keep it up! yay.gif

But I hope you guys are going to check the config for the flight model, because you can pull insane turns in this. I know jets are

agile as F888 but this is a bit too much. Craaazy aerobatics display though! crazy_o.gif

it's less of the mod, more the ArmA engine - namely, prioritizing flightpath over nose position (in a lateral direction) and the lack of a sensitivity slider for joysticks. (i've got mine externally set to 2% strength effect and it's still overresponsive for ArmA! )

a couple bugs i found:

- AA weapons are pretty strong against vehicles - any of the AA missiles can take out a tank in a single hit (with a small delay before blowing up) also, the cannon seems to be quite effective at killing tanks too (though not sure if this reflects real 20mm rounds)

- 'repairing' within the loadout console (or manually at a truck) does not repair any specific severe damage (eg. engine out, hydraulics failure), or re-fill fire extinguisher bottles once they've been used.

- the jet seems to have a very rearwards centre of gravity. though this may reflect the real thing, but i usually inadvertently sit the aircraft on it's tail on landing.

- it doesn't have a 'dead' model - it uses the intact graphic. actually, it'd be better if it didn't have a model at all - just a crater (or maybe a small bit of wreckage) where it *was*

- if you fly around without a canopy, it's still as quiet in first person as with one.

- [edit] one of the missions included in the download is unplayable - "F-18E Airstrike" is missing file 'fz_f18sq2'

though these aren't 'bugs' per se, these are a few things i thought would be good to implement:

- it'd be nice to link the 'WARNING! EJECTION SEAT!' action to the standard 'eject' function - it's often way to cumbersome to have to find the action on the menu, and usually i just bind the action to a button on my controls - but it doesn't work for this.

- it'd also be good if an engine fire didn't completely destroy the jet - i didn't mind it taking out ALL my systems, but i found it weird that i just suddenly died metres from completing a glide approach.

not sure how easy it would be to implement those changes, but nonetheless, great job guys! it was worth the wait!

Cheers for the responses, think i will stick with the F16 for now, great job on the jet just a shame about the control side of things.

p.s. sig has been updated kite wink_o.gif

@the_shadow

I'm aware of the issue but I'm not sure as to the cause. I believe it may have to do with the control sensitivity, to which the AI doesn't use efficiently. I'll see what I can do.

i agree on that.

personally i think making the sensitivity more in line with the AV8 or Footmunchs beautiful F16 would be more apropriate.

but thats just my thoughts...

also, i dont think it should be able to fly quite as slow as the F16 (after all, it´s a much bigger and heavier plane)

Control can be optimized, but the jet can fly fast and do thight turn, the standard bis model is slow and the turn radius works like an big airline jet...

these are agile fighters and the speed / trust needs power !!

if the island is not' big for faster jet, do they slow is not a solution...

I like afterburner and manovrability, the problem is the lack of blackout / redout sistem so u can do over G manovres...

The reammo system could be done "open source" so new planes can use it for chose weapon pylon load..

this work is nice, and is the right way, for me to realize a good jet. with a good fly manovrability

smile_o.gif

@urbanwarrior

smile_o.gif also I'm waiting for the new patch that is upcoming... I HOPE

the AA sidewinder and other missles can lock and destroy land vehicles, this is an ArmA problem not for the F18 mod.

also, i dont think it should be able to fly quite as slow as the F16 (after all, it´s a much bigger and heavier plane)

Actually the F/A-18 is able to fly quite slower than the F-16, since it has bigger wings and bigger flaps areas which mean that the F/A-18 generates a bigger lift when compared with the F-16 (and many other fighters as well) and bigger lift means lower stall speed which by it's turn means that the F/A-18 can fly slower than the F-16.

In part it also means that it can execute manouvers with higher angle of attack than the F-16 which mean that the F/A-18 can outmanouver the F-16 in a turn manouver.

Also remember that the F/A-18 was designed to land in an aircraft carrier which means that such aircraft are usually designed to have slower stall speeds than their land based counterparts.

But I do agree that the F/A-18 (ArmA Mod) Stall speed is a bit exagerated, since you can fly this F/A-18 traveling in speeds around 90 Kts, no way the F/A-18 (or any other flighter) can fly so slow at least with almost 0 degrees of angle of attack.

I would say that the Stall Speed (flying with near 0 degrees of angle of attack) would be something near 110+ knots.

Other thing that I find a bit wrong with the F/A-18 is the following:

- Acceleration with afterburner seems too fast.

- Acceleration without afterburner seems too slow.

- I agree that the pitch controls are a bit too sensitive, but the turning ability seems IMO to be right. The F/A-18 and specially the Super Hornet is capable of very impressive (and very tight turn) manouvers!

@the_shadow

i agree on that.

personally i think making the sensitivity more in line with the AV8 or Footmunchs beautiful F16 would be more apropriate.

but thats just my thoughts...

you mean "as fast" right? The f16 is wayyy faster than an fa-18... check out the time to climb ratio.. plus the thrust to weight ratio...

my bad i misunderstood what the guy meant... srry...

@moderator, can you delete my first post? I didn't mean to double thm up.. my bad... huh.gif