Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Arma battleye support for 1.09beta

As i run a Busines from Home, I am a bit worried by this too as this is anti cheat or a game, its got no requirement to look beyond the games folder.

Indeed. I have sensitive financial information on this machine, plus lots of copyright material which I am entitled to have. I can't allow access to this.

You shouldnt be playing games on this machine.

I have the same issue as you but I made a gamking rig which I use to play games/download stuff, surf the net and all that.

The machine with the "secret data" is hardly ever online and if so only just for those business purposes.

Hehe. You're serious aren't you? I always gave you more credit than that.

No software that I currently have on this PC says that it is likely to go fishing round my hard disk, gathering data that is sensitive and/or identifiably mine and reporting back to anyone it feels like.

I'm sorry, but this is a step too far. Battleye isn't going on this PC any time soon.

Fine, you buy me a second  machine then. Im not made of money you know.

No need to make me feel as if I can spend so much money. Its all about choices you make.

Money isn't growing on my back neither. When I choose to use my comp business wise (at the same time I started the business) I also choose not to play games for a long time.

If you consider my choice as being rich so be it. It took me years before I could buy a PC for just gamming and doing all the "unsafe" things on the net.

As i run a Busines from Home, I am a bit worried by this too as this is anti cheat or a game, its got no requirement to look beyond the games folder.

Indeed. I have sensitive financial information on this machine, plus lots of copyright material which I am entitled to have. I can't allow access to this.

Mail sent to battleye support asking how can we avoid to scan certain folders. Wating for answer smile_o.gif

So, here we have their answer:

Quote[/b] ]Hi,

please check the EULA when installing BattlEye.

"6) BattlEye will never report any of Licensees private data (documents,

passwords, etc.)

to other connected computers or to Licensor. BattlEye will not violate

Licensees

privacy in any way."

Regards,

smile_o.gif

ok i installed battle eye on our servers and on my client now how the hell do i know its running. am i missing a command link input on the server startup line or am i also missing a line on the clients startup commands i have BattlEye = 1; on the servers config so all should be working right now how can we tell is it in background is there no dialogs ?

Quote[/b] ]NOTE: BattlEye will be run from ARMA's application data folder (default is C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\BattlEye) to have write access in order to be able to download/install updates and/or create logs and other BE-related files.

@armatech

Any files in there showing you server traffic or something?

I guess if those files are in there BE runs in the back ground wink_o.gif

Mail sent to battleye support asking how can we avoid to scan certain folders. Wating for answer smile_o.gif

So, here we have their answer:

Quote[/b] ]Hi,

please check the EULA when installing BattlEye.

"6) BattlEye will never report any of Licensees private data (documents,

passwords, etc.)

to other connected computers or to Licensor. BattlEye will not violate

Licensees

privacy in any way."

Regards,

smile_o.gif

There you go. I am happy now. smile_o.gif

I still think it won't get used on servers because of the unavailability of signed addons, but at least the client side privacy problem is cleared up. Thanks Txalo for going an finding out.

Fine, you buy me a second machine then. Im not made of money you know.

No need to make me feel as if I can spend so much money. Its all about choices you make.

Money isn't growing on my back neither. When I choose to use my comp business wise (at the same time I started the business) I also choose not to play games for a long time.

If you consider my choice as being rich so be it. It took me years before I could buy a PC for just gamming and doing all the "unsafe" things on the net.

That's got to be one of the most nonsensical arguments I've heard since WMD.

Give it up, Foxy! You're a respected member of the community, please don't peddle an solution that is available to a tiny percentage of said community!

bit offtopic ...

how secure some folders OR whole drives ... heard of encryption ?

Windows got inbuilt one (XPs, Vista etc)

there are free solutions like

BestCrypt http://www.jetico.com/bcrypt8.htm

and opensource free solution like

TruCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/

or use archivers with encryption support

if You got really sensitive data and can't affort machine which is 'not connected online' then You should know it

otherwise You really playing hazard game all the time ...

anyway back on BE topic ...

Who do you think is going to be looking at your files anyway? The only communication happens between the game server and the client and it's all automated. There is no reporting any central system or any saving of data.

Perhaps if a server operator actually hacked BE and altered it so it saved data and allowed it to be viewable you could have some concerns. In that case, just be sure to only play on servers that you trust (ones not set up by hacking groups).

If you are going to play on servers without signed addons and or BattleEye, you have NO RIGHT to ever complain about cheating. You are being given tools in an effort to thwart cheating and ignoring them. Anything after that will be considered whining and should/will be ignored.

Great update, this should help a lot.

--Ben

Fine, you buy me a second  machine then. Im not made of money you know.

Or you could buy an external HDD. Few months ago I bought a 500GB one for less than 100€ (everything: case + cables + HDD). Reliable and doesn't make much noise.

If anyone doesn't want to risk something you shouldn't connect to the internet at all. Even the best firewalls, anti-hackers etc... Can't stop everything.

So the best is to save the data on an external memory (HDD, USB key, DVD-RW...). Easy, reliable and cheap solutions. And if cheap is too expensive I am pretty sure you can buy some of these used but still in great shape.

Just my opinion.

Now about the topic I am glad BI did something about that. thumbs-up.gif

Does BattleEye detect cheats that are hidden in a PBO file?

Yours

Crowe

BE can't prevent addon based cheating (technically speaking, customized addons are not cheating).

Firstly, THANK YOU BIS ! :-) Many of my team-mates had given up playing due to the situation with cheating so I hope that this will persuade them to return.

Quote[/b] ]This relies on addons being signed and that's going to be the downfall of this, isn't it?

For example, a lot of people have lowflys editor upgrade installed and he's not developing it any more, so I doubt he's going to make a key. If that's the case, this and many other addons will have to be removed.

As far as I can see, there is nothing to stop a trusted authority creating signed versions of addons which can then be used instead of the unsigned versions. This does unfortunately require

1) Either you or someone you trust to sign the addon.

2) Clients to obtain and install that version.

I wonder if OFPEC would be the appropriate place to maintain a repository of signed 'orphan' addons?

Quote[/b] ]I wonder if OFPEC would be the appropriate place to maintain a repository of signed 'orphan' addons?

OFPEC already hosts the public keys of many addons in the tag database.

Edit: I said that and forgot we took down the tags db till monday as we are making some backend changes.

So would the OFPEC team be willing to inspect and sign orphan addons ?

Now what all does BE do?

When it detects a cheat, what will it do? Just kick? Add to server banlist? Global BE banlist? Does it generate a GUID like PB, or just use like BIS ID/key-hash? Will it output a log file? If it does will it include some way to identitfy specifics as to what was detected?

If they have banlists, and their ac falsly detects a cheat, will there be a way to get unbanned by verifing what caused the false detection? If so how/where?

Will it scan memory like PB, as in will it md5 all static memory and detect changes??

Im guessing no screenshots.., but I dont think d3d hacks are a big problem in this game currently. Its the addons and memory hacks which are troublesome.

Will BE monitor variables as well? Because if it does, I think this could cause problems with addons (even if they are signed) couldnt it? IE an addon changes recoil/rof variables. But if BE is checking for default bis variables if will detect that?huh.gif?

So it will be scanning the running processes as well? How well is this detection? Just name of process/window?checksum? ect...

Will it also be able to detect injected DLLs? and detours?

Will their be a possiblity for user-made detections, instead of waiting on for whenever the anti-cheat is updated? Which is another thing, will the developers of this BE be actively looking for cheats to add to their lists and updating reguarly. Or can we expect maybe an update every few months?

I dont expect it to be invincible, but theres alot of questions which should be answered...ending with.. Will this even be worth running?

We keep getting big Desync but its not actually Desync.. players just freeze still like Desync would make them but we can see there smoke shells when they though them, and you as a player can move around oki and see bullets hit the ground.. So i uninstalled BE and it all worked normal and no false Desync..

huh.gif

Serious question this, and it has still not been answered here or on the BattlEye website either:

Can BattlEye be used in ANY way to access files OUTSIDE of the game folder to which it pertains?

Is there ANY mechanism that forcibly prevents this 'protection' software from accessing outside the game folder, or from being used by malicious users/servers to do so?

what about userrights ?

as long as BE don't use low level drivers it should be limited by account rights it was ran in...

anyway i read that BE is conflicting with TSO, XfireO, STEAMcO and several other popular overlays

so i guess it's no go for many users just because of that ...

Userrights? Its a DLL running in ArmA space, therefore as ArmA seems to run reliably only with Admin rights then this is sort-of a moot point?

then encrypt/lock what You don't want BE to reach or don't use BE ...

it's not much different from same endless privacy questions like with PunkBuster or VAC

tho PB atleast got usable documentation

(oChaos.DNJ got tons of valid question points)

Well i'm not exactly a genius, but how much good can an anticheat do if it's completely restricted to only the game's files. It should at least be able to check running processes.

That would mean i could run a middleware tool that e.g. passes my ingame commands to server and back, and where i could insert whatever i like between those.

I kinda agree with the point of not using your gamingpc for business purposes...

I also understand that not everyone has the choice to have a second pc.

In short: it's a hard world out there, learn to live with it or face the consequences.

Bis can never do anything good if you follow the untrusting path. Your not obliged to use BE. Your not obliged to play any game at all. If you want to play, you know there are gonna be people that (try) to cheat. BE and various other tools are simply a countermeasure. If you think it has too many downsides, maybe you should rethink using windows/gaming on pc alltogether. Anyway, the choice is yours.