Sign in to follow this  
da12thMonkey

Project: UK Forces

I am upset that a great team could be abused like this, community leaders should look at strengthening the rules and perhaps co-operate with all fan websites to keep these scumbags from just hopping around from here to armaholic or arma info. This sort of thing effects all mods, if more teams take a similar stance we may see respect improve.

Indeed, I agree, but it doesn't seem to be the case that the community leaders really give a stuff!

:(

Indeed, I agree, but it doesn't seem to be the case that the community leaders really give a stuff!

:(

Well then you seem to be wrong here.

Armaholic.com and ArmedAssault.info are working on a joint approach in order to help solving these issues in the very near future.

We will set up a 3rd Party Forum where anyone can inform the participating websites/forums about copyright breaches. There will also be clear and very strict rules of how we deal with such reports and possible culprits. These rules will be written down in cooperation with the ArmA Modding Community and our two sites will strictly enforce them. More on that when the forum is set up (tomorrow).

So you see we (Armaholic.com and ArmedAssault.info) do give a stuff ;)

Edited by Deadeye

Have to say I think the reaction is a little bit pointless. By admission of practically everyone in this thread, leaks and piracy are going to happen. You know that when you start modding, as wrong as it is. If you intend to mod then you know it's going to happen. To spit the dummy out after the event seems a little pointless, especially when I wonder how many people had access to the addons in Volcbat, which presumeably is where the leak came from.

Have to say I think the reaction is a little bit pointless. By admission of practically everyone in this thread, leaks and piracy are going to happen. You know that when you start modding, as wrong as it is. If you intend to mod then you know it's going to happen. To spit the dummy out after the event seems a little pointless, especially when I wonder how many people had access to the addons in Volcbat, which presumeably is where the leak came from.

I think its pointless wasiting my own personal time, just for the addon to be ripped! Could be doing bigger and better things.........

Charliereddog, ever made an addon?

leaks and piracy are going to happen. You know that when you start modding, as wrong as it is. If you intend to mod then you know it's going to happen.

So we should just sit back and ignore it/let it happen?

To spit the dummy out after the event seems a little pointless, especially when I wonder how many people had access to the addons in Volcbat, which presumeably is where the leak came from.

As has been discussed, the last three we caught this week was the final straw, not the entire event. It's been ongoing for the 6 years we've been modding and finally we've had enough, quite simply put.

We know leaks happen, we've known this would happen with VCB at some stage. We're not going to lay the blame on VCB because I know first hand the efforts they go to to prevent it and check out everyone who joins. What disturbs me more was the way the teams who received the leaked addon were more than happy to accept it no questions asked, rather than taking the moral high ground and informing us of it. The ported addon was a ported addon, without permission, nothing complex about that.

However, I think swift88 nailed the general feeling amongst us.

You've made the right decision, I can reproduce your feelings, really.

It's a shame but thats the way it is, unfortunately not

limited to modeling, you're going to face this behaviour your

entire life.

Hi all

Theft of IP is a serious matter. I know BIS themselves employ lawyers to protect their IP.

If you are lucky enough to have a reasonable income you can protect your IP by setting a lawyer on the person.

BUT there are other free and cheap protections!

(A) Are you a single person or a group?

If you are a single person jump to point (B)

If you are a group of people then you need to join a company. This is because protecting group IP is very problematic. A single example: x said I could use it when x joined the MOD team for a day? So you need to have the IP under a single legal entity hense a company.

There is a cost of about 500 Euros a year to set up and run a company and do the additional bits of bureauacracy, though if you want all the bells and whistles you will need to pay a fair bit more. Some of the MOD teams have already done this and you can always consider joining an existing company while keeping your mod ID separate, and assigning your MOD's IP to the company for the purpose of protecting your IP. All this means is that you need to have a contract with the company as part of transferring the IP.

(B) If you are a single entity protecting your IP can take several forms.

1) Watermark your work, there are several tools for doing this for using steganographic techniques, use google. Even a 3D wire frame model can be watermarked. Google is your friend.

2) Register the copyright by publishing it on a reliable source or sending a copy to be sealed in an envelope by your lawyer or having your lawyer take a secure time stamped image and storing it on write only media in a sealed envelope.

3) Next tell the person they are contravening your IP rights, also inform all places you have seen your IP being infringed. Any big company will then crap themselves as they know that it is an invite for No Win No Fee Sharks and they will remove it, as well as ban the person who sold them it and seek to recover the money by suing the person for you, this makes subsequent cases you bring easier.

4) Legal Avenues

In the UK

You can use the Federation Against Software Theft (FAST)

http://www.fastiis.org/

Also in the UK try Business Link

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1074300727

If you are from another country there are other organisation that fulfill this role. Google is your friend.

5) You can also pay for IP legal insurance. I do, it is not that costly.

6) If you case is good; lawyers will take it on as a No Win No Fee especially if it is a rich company they can sue on you behalf.

7) If what you have is a radical algorithm or method of computing, for just over 10,000 US dollars for something like the method used to make the UA; you can start the Patent route. This is complex and expensive and not I assure you for the faint hearted.

C) INVOICE THEM

If you see your IP on another persons site and your license includes invoice-able items; you can just invoice them and ask them to issue a properly licensed version, they then become a retailer for your product. NB you are not allowed to sell things you make with BIS tools.

And as I said at the start you can of course just sue them.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
Titles Spelling clarity added Patent and invoice bit

Hi and thanks, Walker. Unfortunately Legal process is long and can potentially be very expensive, for little guarantee of winning, it's not an avenue we want to pursue. You can see what one of the offending parties thinks of it too, on their website.

As I've already mentioned, it's a shame to see you guys go. Messing about with your latest UK Forces stuff back in Flashpoint days was one of the only reasons I got into mission making and Flashpoint stayed a permanent fixture on my hard drive from day one.

Good luck guys, and thank you for the effort.

A great loss, but completely understandable. If it weren't for credibility reasons, I do believe that you want to do more contract work for BIA or others, I think your opinions might be different. But I give you my full, although slightly sour support.

Gutted, but totally understandable point of view i just hope you don't stop making addons for your own personal pleasure. Your Addons and also Rocks kept me going in the latter stages of OFP:RES.

Yeah, I'm pretty upset about the cancellation of PUKF. I was really looking forward to being able to play with UK Forces in ArmA, but I can understand why you've decided to do as you have done. It's a case of the few spoiling for the many.

Good luck mates, in whatever you decide to do from now on :)

Seems to be all my fault.

I ported the warriors to Arma for my own enjoyment & these are NOT used by [RM] in anyway so lets get that clarified.

The "offending" video had said warriors included at last sec & its use as a promotional video for [RM] was not authorised by me.

Repeated comments on e.g. UKF's forum about [RM] stabbing ppl are not appreciated.

Seems to be all my fault.

Well I would commend you on stepping forward. But from what I read its not actually ALL your fault. Between the behaviour of some of your other squad members and the fact that this is an ongoing issue with others, it has simply erroded thier motivation and fair enough to.

At any rate I wish all involved @PUKF the best

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker
unnecessary inflamatory remark

Pathetic Bezerker has is spot on. As said on UKF forums, it's a shame nobody stepped forward when we asked you both in your recruitment thread, and via PM, and that the only "reply" we got were the now-removed comments in your shoutbox. You know who is responsible for letting it get that far. But, this isn't directed specifically at one group or one incident, it's been an ongoing thing, with several squads, groups, etc, over years.

I'm hoping nobody stones anyone.

Goddammit, i was really looking forward to these addon releases, god damm you addons stealers who ever you are you know.!!! God why couldnt people just have a little patience. :( this news sucks so bad :(

Well PUKF RIP! :(

He that is without sin among you cast the first stone.

Why? I'm full of sin and will gladly cast any stone given to me? It's just nice to know we have such respectful people around that could give a s@#t about stealing others work and about the community in general.

It may not be your fault at all, but your comments on your forum shoutbox seem to show that you don't really care if the accusations were true. Well, the comments have been removed so maybe I'm just dreaming about reading it.

Edited by Manzilla

Well PUKF RIP!

Where, does it say they are closing up shop/disbanding?

All I see is them ceasing public releases.

Where, does it say they are closing up shop/disbanding?

All I see is them ceasing public releases.

i quote their site

until we are satisfied that our IP is being treated with appropriate respect, we will not resume releases.

well i see this never happening, so resume would be out of the question to us outsiders or unless BIS release an pbo encription tool which allow addon makers to protect there work without it being stolen.

He that is without sin among you cast the first stone.

What are you Jesus Christ?

Hi Matt. Well, I wouldnt say that, the initiative thats underway by the big community sites is looking very promising. Hopefully, if it works out (and ideally BIS will follow suit), we can maybe start getting things out the door again.

Good luck guys, hopefully you continue with the work, it'd be a shame to stop. Completely understand about no public releases. Sad for us, but I guess we [the 'community'] have to live with the consequences from the actions of the (few) W*ANKER$ that roam this world and these forums!!!!! (Please excuse the language...)

Can you please at least keep us updated on the work you do so we can admire what you are still doing...sounds a bit pointless, but I'm so F'ing nosey I can't help it:don3:

:thumbs-up:

Good luck guys, hopefully you continue with the work, it'd be a shame to stop. Completely understand about no public releases. Sad for us, but I guess we [the 'community'] have to live with the consequences from the actions of the (few) W*ANKER$ that roam this world and these forums!!!!! (Please excuse the language...)

Can you please at least keep us updated on the work you do so we can admire what you are still doing...sounds a bit pointless, but I'm so F'ing nosey I can't help it:don3:

I second that, hopefully the new community initiative will work and we can see the return of PUKF and RKSL in the near future.

Heres hoping anyway..............

Here here!