Sign in to follow this  
da12thMonkey

Project: UK Forces

As long as it gets a bit of dirt on it, it's really the sounds and weapons handling that give an addon soul.

As a friendly you just wanna see tracers and all sorts of hell flying out of it and blatting whatever's been bothering you.

And as an enemy, you shouldn't even want to lay eyes on it.

Anyone else gagging for this?.

Im gonna hold my breath till it is released ! If you take to long you will have my death on your hands ! lol

Testify brother tounge2.gif

(A release is excruciatingly close, it pretty much boils down to me moving a proxy 4cm to the left... but I can't really be bothered right now icon_rolleyes.gif )

It's close, its not breath holdingly close though, so please breathe! I was going to post on this last night but never gotten around to it, unforseen circumstances to the positive have delayed the release (sounds odd, doesn't it), the hope was that I could get some of the features I wanted crammed into it now. However, ArmA conspired against us and those features will just have to wait till Version 2 as originally planned!

So apologies for the bit of extra wait, I did say no guarentees wink_o.gif But it is damn close.

Can't wait to have the UK Stuff on my HD,

after watching Ross Kemp in A-stan and a Video of the Pathfinders, I'm pretty damn close to do UK Reenactment myself.

Also a mate of mine has an Series 3 Landrover which was in the Gulf War in 1990,...

I just have to love the UK Stuff biggrin_o.gif

Testify brother  tounge2.gif

(A release is excruciatingly close, it pretty much boils down to me moving a proxy 4cm to the left... but I can't really be bothered right now  icon_rolleyes.gif )

Would a packet of pear drops help?

As much as I enjoy the US kit it is rather nice to see our own stuff grace the battlefield.

Keep up the good work chaps!

Because a vehicle won't be sniped, so its ok for the enemy to see them.

I beg to differ.  Pleanty of vehicles get sniped by RPGs, various rockets and mortars every day in Iraq and Astan.

I was under the impression that the UK MoD had invested in the use of IR/Formation plates to reduce their reliance on driving lights to help reduce the risk of vehicles being spotted.

That stuff goes right out of the window on live operation's. Regardless of MoD investment into an area individual troops and squadron's will add or take away equipment as they see fit.

From experience the use of lightsticks on operations is entirely dependant on the officer in charge ignoring SoP and / or the threat level.

You only have to watch the current Ross Kemp series to see how lax British Troops have become (the younger soldiers) when it comes to the three S's and moving across open ground.

I am wondering what they are currently training them at BATT Colchester?

Not intending to call your credibility into question, but i'm curious; what do you mean by the 3 S's? I only know of "The 7 S's" (although half of them aren't actually S's), but perhaps i'm thinking of something different to what you are thinking of. Can only ever remember 5 of them anyway tounge2.gif

The question was directed at Hamish, but there are 4 others in that list. I was more curious if he was referring to something else that i've not been taught/heard of, or whether he is just using a truncated version. Not that any of it is really relevant, i'm just curious, as I said.

The question was directed at Hamish, but there are 4 others in that list. I was more curious if he was referring to something else that i've not been taught/heard of, or whether he is just using a truncated version. Not that any of it is really relevant, i'm just curious, as I said.

It is as Orson indicated.

Certainly when I was in it was the 3 S's (and that was a wee while ago). I am aware the newer syllabus covers the following:

Shape.

Shine.

Silhouette.

Shadow.

Spacing.

Movement.

But I am more concerned with the 3 basics as these were the most glaringly obvious errors.

That said the soldiers that have been shown in Afghanistan seem to have thrown a lot of this out of the window. I am not calling into question an individuals bravery under fire or the guys doing a sterling job out there, however some of the training just doesn't seem to have been drummed into them? This the bread and butter of training to keep a low profile in open terrain.

Anyway we are off topic on UK Forces thread so I apologise.

Saw this: youtube video the other day, and couldnt help but think of you guys.

The new upgrades look hella-sweet, and knowing what completeists you lot are, I assume they'll make an appearance eventually? biggrin_o.gif

Aye, not for the 1.0 release (don't want to delay it longer than necessary), but the 2.0 will be much improved (we hope)

Because a vehicle won't be sniped, so its ok for the enemy to see them.

I beg to differ.  Pleanty of vehicles get sniped by RPGs, various rockets and mortars every day in Iraq and Astan.

I was under the impression that the UK MoD had invested in the use of IR/Formation plates to reduce their reliance on driving lights to help reduce the risk of vehicles being spotted.

That stuff goes right out of the window on live operation's. Regardless of MoD investment into an area individual troops and squadron's will add or take away equipment as they see fit.

From experience the use of lightsticks on operations is entirely dependant on the officer in charge ignoring SoP and / or the threat level.

You only have to watch the current Ross Kemp series to see how lax British Troops have become (the younger soldiers) when it comes to the three S's and moving across open ground.

I am wondering what they are currently training them at BATT Colchester?

You're obviously a old hat, who do you think you are picking holes in how the current lads and lasses on Ops are conducting themselves?

Have you had to operate in 40-50 degree heat carrying 35+kilo against an enemy that's not afraid to blow kids up to get at you. Under contact daily or if your lucky enough to not be getting shot at you're more than likely taking IDF.

This isn't Belfast, show some respect to the lads and lasses that are out there getting killed and maimed. Either that or fulfill your reserve liability and get out on Herrick and see if you're worrying about the 7 S's when the airs full of enemy fire and 107's are landing closer and closer.

You fecking tube.

Quote[/b] ]

You're obviously a old hat, who do you think you are picking holes in how the current lads and lasses on Ops are conducting themselves?

Probably because I have been on these ops myself, come under fire and survived through what my senior NCO's drummed into me! So that gives me some idea of why I can pick holes. The post was about current training on not a criticism of the individuals bravery. Read the post!

Quote[/b] ]Have you had to operate in 40-50 degree heat carrying 35+kilo against an enemy that's not afraid to blow kids up to get at you. Under contact daily or if your lucky enough to not be getting shot at you're more than likely taking IDF.

What has that got to do with basic infantry skills and training? Regardless of the heat and weight these skills are drummed into you so they become instinct and save you life. I did not get beasted by a PTI and perform E&E exercises in Otterburn to get my arse shot off once out in the field. So in the same token having trained some younger lads in my time on all manner of field skills I can vent my frustrations at seeing the younger guys forgetting or even ignoring the basics.

Quote[/b] ]This isn't Belfast, show some respect to the lads and lasses that are out there getting killed and maimed. Either that or fulfill your reserve liability and get out on Herrick and see if you're worrying about the 7 S's when the airs full of enemy fire and 107's are landing closer and closer.

You fecking tube.

So what you are saying is you would forget basic infantry training skills because you are hot and bothered and someone is shooting at you? Sorry but the enemy really doesn't give two hoots about how you feel. That is why we have training.

Glad you weren't in my Squadron or even on the BATT with me otherwise I would have booted your peachy arse out of my unit as a liability to the rest of my guys. As for active operations yes thanks I have been on plenty and I count the superb training I received as the reason I am still alive.

Take this to PM if you want a further discussion son.

Quote[/b] ]

Probably because I have been on these ops myself, come under fire and survived through what my senior NCO's drummed into me! So that gives me some idea of why I can pick holes. The post was about current training on not a criticism of the individuals bravery. Read the post!

Quote[/b] ]Have you had to operate in 40-50 degree heat carrying 35+kilo against an enemy that's not afraid to blow kids up to get at you. Under contact daily or if your lucky enough to not be getting shot at you're more than likely taking IDF.

What has that got to do with basic infantry skills and training? Regardless of the heat and weight these skills are drummed into you so they become instinct and save you life. I did not get beasted by a PTI and perform E&E exercises in Otterburn to get my arse shot off once out in the field. So in the same token having trained some younger lads in my time on all manner of field skills I can vent my frustrations at seeing the younger guys forgetting or even ignoring the basics.

Quote[/b] ]This isn't Belfast, show some respect to the lads and lasses that are out there getting killed and maimed. Either that or fulfill your reserve liability and get out on Herrick and see if you're worrying about the 7 S's when the airs full of enemy fire and 107's are landing closer and closer.

You fecking tube.

So what you are saying is you would forget basic infantry training skills because you are hot and bothered and someone is shooting at you? Sorry but the enemy really doesn't give two hoots about how you feel. That is why we have training.

Glad you weren't in my Squadron or even on the BATT with me otherwise I would have booted your peachy arse out of my unit as a liability to the rest of my guys. As for active operations yes thanks I have been on plenty and I count the superb training I received as the reason I am still alive.

Take this to PM if you want a further discussion son.

Gladly, check PMs.

Now that's cleared up nicely we can progress back on-topic.

One is assuming that if the UK kit is released for ArmA it can be easily ported into ArmAII at a later date?

As much as playing with the US kit is enjoyable, I am looking forward to being able to write some UK style missions for my UK and US group.

Is it you chaps who are creating the Mastiff / Bulldog?