Sign in to follow this  
suma

Search for a best memory handling

I am not experiencing any DXT error surface blabla message anymore, but now my game is crashing with the standard windows crash message ^^'

I don't know (& think) there is a link with memory but well i can try all these commands lines.

But before i would like to know if there is really a good reason to write maxmem at 256 or 512 if you have 1,5Go free RAM for the game (+ 200Mo bonus free that i keep for windows in the case it needs some more RAM).

___

Also i think you are complaining about graphics LOD + vegetation less detailed.. but how do you think we got the major performance improvement ?

You got it now ?

But now the problem is to get access to the old very high option in the case we got a powerful computer..

Edit : Ah and does the "default" option for texture still useful for video card with more than 512Mo of VRAM or not ?

Also i think you are complaining about graphics LOD + vegetation less detailed.. but how do you think we got the major performance improvement ?

You got it now ?

I paid alot of money, and went through alot of trouble to upgrade my hardware three times to run arma without the LOD fix in 1.09.

The LOD change in 1.09, quite bluntly and honestly, just 'really' makes me upset due to that. The 'fix' makes all my hardwork kinda pointless. It's a step backwards for me - one that, assuming 1.09 Final includes it, I won't have the ability to opt out of. That just might be the final straw for me, personally. The community has fixed the performance with vegetation for the most part - if people who purchase ArmA don't want to get onboard with the more than sufficient community fix - let em suffer.

I'm not complaining. Just airing my thoughts on it.

1.05 was the last version free of the infamous 8007000 error. 1.09 still randomly crashes and LOD changes look terrible for us Nvidia users (except for the fog bug fix). Not sure why whatever was done from after 1.05 can't be "rolled back". Dev's should simply look back at the forum archives to see when this error first became an epidemic.

The poll is erroneous IMO since many people probably never tried 1.05, and therefore have no idea idea whether it is or was more stable than what they have tried.

(Also see this post as a bad sign that the problem will not be fixed in ArmA...)

sad_o.gif

I've tried all settings. I got crash with all.

I get problem for loading object detail (i can't post screenshot, they are all totally black.. i don't know why).

That occurs on vehicles & mens, they look like an old game where the wheel where square & the mens looked like a sort of multi-face of big polygons.

Sometimes that appears on building too, like an hangar without entrance side.. walls on every side.

I got this problem with all settings, but i've seen it more with -vm 108 -maxmem 512

I still have artefact after alt-tab (could be one or multiple alt-tab it's the same..artefact gonna appears later). Maybe these problem on loading objects details are coming from the alt tab too (but it is a new problem for me, i never get it with ArmA 1.08)

My Config :

E6850 @3Ghz (stock)

2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800

nVidia GeForce 8800GTX with ForceWare 169.21 WHQL

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 up to date.

Next time i see the texture problem i will try taking screenshot again.

My crash aren't anymore the DXT error message, they are windows like crash message which ask you if you want to report it.

I dont understand why some people seem to get this crashing with 8800 series cards and others dont, it doesn't seem to be driver related so I dont know what else could cause it??.

banghead.gif

I dont understand why some people seem to get this crashing with 8800 series cards and others dont, it doesn't seem to be driver related so I dont know what else could cause it??.

banghead.gif

Nvidia dos not build the graphic cards, they only develop the new GPU and make working samples.

What the manufacturers are building is more or less close to the standard layout, and GPU and VRAM speed. So there is a big difference between the cards from different manufacturers.

Don't use the 169.21 drivers. I've used them and had nothing but crashes, so I switched back to the default 169.09 and problems gone. My specs, Pilat 8800gt 1g ram video card and cheap here in Canada.

Game runs a lot faster more me with 1.09 beta. I tried maxmem=768 and it a lot lot smother. biggrin_o.gif

XP sp2 / quad core / 8800 ultra / 4 gig.

maxmem @768MB on a 4GB computer huh.gif?!!

what's the point ?

banghead.gif

Nvidia Forceware 6.14.11.6215, once the pagefile was turned off I rarely have a crash, this includes alt+tabbing, watching youtube on a second monitor all the while having ultramon running in the background...

Turn off your pagefile.

never had any trouble with any version and never needed any switches

had huge problems with Nvidia drivers, and rolled them back to some old ones that worked, had to get them from guru3d

C2D 6600 OC'd to around 3Ghz

8800GTX @ stock

2Gb corsair XMS2pro (recently added another 2x512sticks to give 3GB and keep dual channel)

asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi Ap

raptor 10k for OS and ArmA

2 X 320Gb SATAII for other Aps and data

Vista 32

I will confirm that smile_o.gif .

Since november nvidia drivers have gone crap on Arma, i mean random system freezes and such.

I rolled back to a driver version that worked 100% stable for me (hours and hours of Evolution fun last year) and two days of intensive testing i recovered my 100% Arma stability.

Driver is 162.18 whql wich can be found at guru3d.com.

I dont know if this driver supports the newer 8800 models but if you have a earlier GTX/GTS model and experience any freezing/crashing issues with Arma give it a try.

I am running 1.09 with -maxmem 1024, which is running better for me than anything else so far. May try -maxmem 2048 to see if that works any better.

I only really play EVO online...

I am running 1.09 with -maxmem 1024, which is running better for me than anything else so far. May try -maxmem 2048 to see if that works any better.

I only really play EVO online...

i had a crash "cannot created texture blabla" yesterday while playing evo2 with -maxmem=1000 on a 2GB geared computer.

arma still have critical bug .

The game crashes quickly whilst using -maxmem=2048. Anyone know why this would be? -maxmem=1024 is stable.

The game crashes quickly whilst using -maxmem=2048. Anyone know why this would be? -maxmem=1024 is stable.

Maybe because you don't have 2048MB of available RAM. Other programs (including Windows) need RAM too.

I don't think you have even said how much RAM you have.

@gL33k: Then stop using the maxmem parameter or use a smaller value.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Radius @ Jan. 28 2008,22:21)

I use XP64 with 4GB and that's it. I don't use the -maxmem stuff or any switches beyond -nosplash and everything works flawlessly for me.

OL:

Do you play mainly online or offline? The -maxmem command improves things massively for me when playing Evo online.

Can anyone BIS confirm why larger -maxmem commands crash?

Sorry, this is from the other thread, but I see no difference between single player and Evo online with my current configuration. What should I be looking for? Is there normally performance degradation or something?

I'm running with a 3GHz Intel with dual 8800GTS 640MB cards, maybe that makes a difference?

I run -maxmem=1024 with 1.09beta on vista / quad core / 8800 GT 512M  / 2 gig.

shortcut is set as follow;

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">arma.exe -mod=beta;thirdparty -noflash -maxmem=1024

It works fine in the game, but when I quit the game. it halt...

I turn on the task manager, it shows "arma no responding.."

Is there anything wrong?

More feedback with my new system.

This is my 4th PC I have had and ran Arma on and used no memory switches.

-1st pc: X2 4200+,1 gig ddr,x800pro 256meg video,Xp home

-2nd pc: laptop XP4000+,1 gig ddr,x600 256 meg video,XP home

-3rd pc: PIV 3.0 prescott socket 478,1 gig ddr,7600 gs 512m video,XP home (also had a x1950gt in this system till it crapped out)

This one:

AMD X2 6400+,4 Gig DDR2 800mhz,ATI HD3870 512 ddr4,XP64

Pc's 1+2 I no longer have

With my 4th system

I have only played online a few hours and only used 1.09b and no crashing  and no bugs (I expected texture swapping like others w/ high end pcs),no problems whatsoever

I was using settings veryhigh and had a few stutters so I dropped it a tad

Very smooth and no mem switches necessary

Thanks and Good job Bis !!!

notworthy.gif

I think this thread is lacking of differencing between the "two major OS" - XP and Vista.

In my Case,

with the same hardware and the newest drivers(+driver settings) everything ran fine for me both in 1.08 and 1.09 under XP.

In Vista -maxmem=512 is a strong MUST or otherwise playing is not possible and very quick your harddrive is totally busy with loading textures or something else.

Regards, Christian

4 latest cpus I built: (none using maxmem command at the moment)

Cpu 1 (my old cpu)

AMD 3800+

2 GB DDR 400

7600 GT 256 MB

XP SP2

Used for over a year with Arma, always ran fine for me, normal settings, view distance around 2000, 1280x1024 (1400x900 when i bought WS LCD).  Had German version installed on this one. 1.08  (tried Vista on this cpu... Arma wasn't happy)

CPU 2 (a friend's)

AMD 3800+

2 GB DDR 400

7950 GT 512 MB

XP SP2

Has ran fine for friend for last 8 months. 1280x1024 with mix of normal and high settings view distance around 2000. Sprocket D/L version & US version. 1.08

CPU 3 (a friend's)

AMD X2 4600

2 GB DDR 800

8500 GT 256 MB

XP SP2

Runs suprisingly well considering weak specs ($65 video card). 1280x1024, normal settings, view distance 1500. No problems as of yet, only a few weeks old. US version. Once again... suprised at how well it runs with this configuration. 1.08

CPU 4

My new build (specs in sig)

Ran Vista 64 with 3 GB setting (thanks sickboy - you are awesome) and maxmem=512 for the last month or so. 1400x900, 1500 view distance (about the distance 8xxx series card 'fog' sets in), mix of high and normal settings. Ran fairly well, but did occasionally crash. But ran more than good enough to play.

This weekend I put XP 64 on new hard drive with Arma residing on a different drive. No maxmem. 1680x1085, everything on very high, 2000 view distance... 30-60 FPS (average about 35). Has crashed just once, after 6 hours of online play. Ran another 4 hours after that no crashes. US version on this one.  The performance difference between Vista and XP is night and day.

Runs equally well with 1.08 or 1.09 beta (beta might even run bettter, hard to tell, but the fog fix for 8xxx cards is very nice - 10,000 view distance looked stunning).

Thanks to the developers for keeping the progress coming, even though I have been happy since the day my German DVD arrived in the mail in November of 2006.  notworthy.gif

Mosh

how about adding version 1.12 ?

Cause for me, it is this version (just like 1.11 did).

i get constant crashes with 1.12 beta, http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1418/82349038sb5.jpg

1.08 was fine as far as never crashing, 1.09 never crashed but had alot of texture lod problems. 1.11 pretty much the same as 1.09 plus very laggy gameplay. 1.12 same as 1.11 but with constant ctd with memory errors, i tried maxmem=512 and it wont even load a mission with ctd. im gonna try maxmem=1280 in a sec and see what happens. my system spec is

athlon 64 3200 @ 2.2ghz

2gb ddr400 dual channel

8600gts 512mb superclocked

windows xp pro

I just installed 1.14 and after that i had several crashes, before that, no problem. I havent changed my specs.

I can play about 1 hour and then it smash back to desktop.

Specs:

Amd Athlon 3500+64x

MsiK9nPlatinum MB

3Gigs 800mhz DDR2

Geforce7600gs top silent 512mhz

Also i get lower fps than i got from 1.09

Don't really know is this memory related problem so be free to move this. band.gif

@SpaceReverend

Try to use the old maxmem command in the shortcut to Arma. it solved all my CTD´s and the game runs smoother than with 1.14 default memory handling.

Although Patch 1.14 is fresh installed as the whole game is, i still have the old ArmA 4GB+ bug.

i got the black screen issue!

the log is filled over and over with this line:

"Error: Failed to create surface texture"

until i kick the arma.exe process!!!

My Systemspecs:

Phenom 9850 BE

8GB RAM

Vista Ultimate x64

ATI Radeon 4870

Im a bit wondered that the changelog of ArmA says the "vista x64 4gb" bug has been solved but still have an issue with ArmA - btw: exactly the very same as last year, when we did found out that ArmA has primary an issue with 4GB and not with vista itself.

Simon

Im a bit wondered that the changelog of ArmA says the "vista x64 4gb" bug has been solved but still have an issue with ArmA - btw: exactly the very same as last year, when we did found out that ArmA has primary an issue with 4GB and not with vista itself.

Yes, this is already confirmed, it happens with ATI cards in full-screen mode only. Until we provide a fix, the workaround is to run windowed, or to limit the memory on boot.