Von Rundstedt

Fww2 - finland at war 1939-1945

Quote[/b] ]combat helmet is 100% needed. hope it will be added just like on the reference fotos i posted.

Don't worry M36 combat helmet will be added, unfortunantly this at the moment only soviet soldier model I have, just finished up with few basic finnish troops and their LODs. I am only one who is working on soldiers and their equipment and my time is limited on 1-2 hours at a day, so can't get them ready as fast as I would love to sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] btw this greatcoat... it can be hard to make it look good in game. have you tried skin the model already ? how it looks with animation ? also i'd like clothes to be a lot thicker. atm it looks like autumn coat, not like winter uniform.

it is pretty thick even if it doesn't really look like it in there (angle for isn't the best). Skin/texture is laid as seen on picture, however not really up to date or quite ready yet.

Weights on soldier are pretty ok, there is few parts thats really bugging me and cause pretty irritating effect while running and aiming while standing. However I will be fixing this shortly. Otherwise greatcoat is performing pretty well ingame and actually looks like coat rather than skirt wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]light cloth, no gloves and heads ucovered

Winter camo itself was quite light fabric, however finnish soldiers are "fatter" than regular ArmA soldiers (even with fragvest). Gloves and headsocks will be added in face textures when I have chance to take a look on them, so it will be randomized what soldier has on him. Crueling as it is some soldiers on both sides went around without headsocks or gloves of any kind, resulting various frost bites and freezing to death.

Soviet mittens will be modelled, haven't got that far yet thou.

Quote[/b] ]khaki color of the coat is not a correct one - it's always grey (sometimes with little blue hue)

Some of fabrics were on different color for unknown reason, propably variation on factories. I do plan to make grey color too. I actually started to work on it color, but found that its easier to my eyes to start with brown than grey.

Besides with few different colors there is some nice variation on soviet troops too smile_o.gif

We have been looking somebody who has good knowledge on soviet side, so if you're intrested about helping on historical accuracy of mod you could send me a PM.

Gargantua is right - what you show on your reference picture is a commading officer of pretty high rank (major), while his reference is exactly what should soviet soldier look like. Grey color overcoat + combat helm (which has helm comforter to use it in cold/winter conditions).

Gargantua is right - what you show on your reference picture is a commading officer of pretty high rank (major), while his reference is exactly what should soviet soldier look like. Grey color overcoat + combat helm (which has helm comforter to use it in cold/winter conditions).

Yes I am aware that that fellow is a major, still it does no remove the fact that budenovka was used and it was not exclusive to officers. For other part I already answered on my earlier post, apparently there was not any definitive standard for all factories and along years there might have been some fluctuation. I mean face it, red army wasn't quite what it was at end of 1941 in 1939, mostly due what they learned during winter war.

Both grey uniform and helmet will be there, I just haven't had time to do them yet.

Being Scandinavian (Swedish) im looking forward to this mod inlove.gif

I always felt Ofp/Arma engine is better suited to WW2 than modern wars. Been waiting for a good WW2 mod since i moved from Ofp to Arma.

thanks a lot for going trought the trouble of making 40's finnish soldiers. i like the FDF mod too and i also like WWII type of war wink_o.gif

congrats, you just earned urself a fan.

oh, and they didnt speak to the radio much during the war, did they? you should disable the radio and make it possible for the soldiers to yell if they something to say, and of course. in finnish.

Then we have even more reasons to speed up for release wink_o.gif

We have been discussing a lot about radio, last conclusion we reached was that Finns speak finnish and Soviets speak russian, but radio remains in english for all players of any language background would understand whats being talked about. There was also some discussion about if it would be possible to remove ID on radio chatter and just have the text there without informing from who it came from.

However lets see how that goes since we are not really quite there yet.

Then we have even more reasons to speed up for release wink_o.gif

We have been discussing a lot about radio, last conclusion we reached was that Finns speak finnish and Soviets speak russian, but radio remains in english for all players of any language background would understand whats being talked about. There was also some discussion about if it would be possible to remove ID on radio chatter and just have the text there without informing from who it came from.

However lets see how that goes since we are not really quite there yet.

That'll be an extremely good idea to remove the Radio ID, it'll make it more realistic.

no, its a brilliant idea for russains to speak russian and finnish to speak finnish. if non finnish and non russian cant understand what theyr saying you just add subtitles, the kind of which are in the radio function.

Quote[/b] ]no, its a brilliant idea for russains to speak russian and finnish to speak finnish. if non finnish and non russian cant understand what theyr saying you just add subtitles

This is the only way to go. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Add Simo Häyhä to get those russian ww2 officers

Nah, I think we let players pretend to be Simo Häyhä tounge2.gif

Törni... we need Törni... Lauri Törni... (Larry Alan Thorne) pistols.gif

You're welcomed to try to go around as he did, but with my expirience on beta testing you wont survive all too long tounge2.gif

Here is three new screenshots from in-game. I wasn't sure should I post last one of them, but since I spent that time for it I might as well post it.

thumb460x345fww2_armashot_03.jpgthumb460x345fww2_armashot_04.jpg

thumb460x345fww2_armashot_05.jpg

Soviet soldiers are still missing equipment and I didn't post grey version because it has helmet on and helmet is still missing textures. Patience on this issue.

Hope you enjoy them and do remember we still need your help wink_o.gif

Since 69th anniversary of Winter wars beginning draws closer, we felt that it was time to show something again for community and our faithful fans. There is still quite a lot of stuff that I don't show because its not quite ready for it and I don't have that much time take screenshots, but expect more pictures all the way until 30th wink_o.gif

Both of ingame screenshots has some faked parts, but everything you see there actually are real ingame. Remember that they're promotional screenshots, not all is that way as you see it.

First two in-game screenshots; Soviet troops advancing with pretty careless attidute in Finnish territory (in beginning some Soviets units even marched on road in marching formation) and in second Finnish soldier takes care of T-26 m.31 which has come too far from its main force.

thumb250x188fww2_armashot_06.jpgthumb250x188fww2_armashot_07.jpg

First promo picture has some grenades, AT-weapons and magazines, just because it looks nice. Second one is T-26 model 1931 in promo frames. This tank will represent the oldest what Soviets has to offer on light tanks in this mod. However don't be fooled by its funny look, it is extremely leathal to infantry thanks to twin turret that can cover both sides same time.

promo_kranut_mini.jpgpromo_t2631_mini.jpg

On addition little bit older progress screenshots from our forums:

soviets.jpg

t26shlod.jpg

T-26 in regular color and winter camo (over 100Kb)

Also island is still CWR Winter Nogojev.

Enjoy!

I already have many WW2 vehicles converted to ArmA (KV-1, T-34, German Panzers, Stug etc. etc.)

In case you might need them. At least the Continuation War 1941-1944 needs many of those vehicles.

Fingelicking nice Models. Looking forward for this promesing mod. Is this soldier who is fixing the tank holding some kind of tool?

Add Simo Häyhä to get those russian ww2 officers  biggrin_o.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Not Häyhä but one of the Finnish snipers was interviewed

after the war. The interviewer asked:

"Did it cause you any personal problems to shoot the

Russians like that?"

The ex-sniper replies:

"Yes, the main problems I had was that they tended to run

in zig-zags and duck behind cover".

Here is a pic of the KV-1 in game. (Still with OPFOR crew).

KV1.png

And yes I know the driver's hatch turns too much. Easily fixable tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ] Is this soldier who is fixing the tank holding some kind of tool?

Well kind of an tool, one that goes boom wink_o.gif

It is (factory made) "3kg kasapanos" or as english speaking world knows it: satchel charge with 3kg TNT. It has enough punch to put T-26 and BT-series tanks on their knees.

kasapanos3.jpg

It is something that had to come and fill lack of proper anti-tank weapons in winter war for finns. Same goes with Molotov Cocktail which vastly improved version of one that was seen in Spanish Civil war where you actually had to throw two bottle to get tank on flames.

Quote[/b] ]

I already have many WW2 vehicles converted to ArmA (KV-1, T-34, German Panzers, Stug etc. etc.)

In case you might need them. At least the Continuation War 1941-1944 needs many of those vehicles.

We certainly need them and it would also put KV-1 back on list of addons to be released in winter war pack.

Don't forget that we have free spot in our staff, which we would love to see you fill wink_o.gif

Even thou KV-1 with additional armor didn't see action in winter war we could defianently use such great model and I don't see anything to complain on textures either. Is it all your work, it looks stunning to be from OFP era thumbs-up.gif

Sorry that this is day late and there is less pictures than I had hope for, but RL demanded more attention and left less time for this. Still here is three new pictures, hope you like them.

What began from Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and dispute of fortifying Ahvenanmaa, led on "shelling of Mainila" and finaly to hostile border crossing to Finland without decleration of war. Yesterday it passed 69 years from day that Soviet union attacked Finland by using events in Mainila as excuse for war, it began 6.50 in morning with artillery preperation in Karelia isthmus and invasion started soon after. From here would began 105 days of crueling battles that would take its toll on both sides and would affect greatly on Hitlers decision to invade Soviet union.

First promo shot of OT-130 flamethrower tank, it comes also in winter camo colors. Its most common of dozens flamethrower tank variations that Soviet had during Winter war.

promo_ot130_mini.jpg

Finnish soldiers that were delaying Soviet advance are forced to retreat after taking heavy casualties. In first days of war fighting was desperate and many suffered from "tank shock", since most had not even seen tanks before.

thumb250x188fww2_armashot_09.jpg

First days of war Finnish troops ambushed and used hit-and-run tactics against advancing enemy in hope to stall Soviet war machine so there would be more time to setup defences in main defence line (later known Mannerheim-line). Finnish patrol has destroyed enemy scouts and are scavenging for weapons and equipment.

thumb250x188fww2_armashot_08.jpg

Comments are welcomed

Here is a pic of the KV-1 in game. (Still with OPFOR crew).

KV1.png

And yes I know the driver's hatch turns too much. Easily fixable   tounge2.gif

Doesn't that look a bit too familiar to me or what.. Just like I'd seen it before?

Wait! Here it is, in my model:

photo14.jpg

I can remember all the layers in those textures and all the polygons in that model, and I can swear that your picture is taken from my model.

I only ask this politely once: please, stop using our team's models without permission. And for that permission - after this it might be hard to get.