Sign in to follow this  
spetznaz14

Fog bug again!!!!

Wow...that sucks confused_o.gif

I'm buying a 8800GTS next week, does it affect all version of the 8800?

I wouldnt recommend buying 8800 if ur priority is to play Arma. For most other games it's top of the line though. I have 8800GTX now, but had a much more playable experience on my old rig with a 7900 card. The difference in fog is well documented, i.e. in the pix from the thread-starter. Then there's the frequent ctd's.

Anyone know when the next high-end nvidia card is released? That's my biggest hope for a solution atm.

On my XP32, CTDs with -maxmem=512 setting are 100% goner with everything on very high, except antialising on normal and objects on high, viewdistance 3500. 162.18 Drivers from www.guru3d.com

The fog bug however is there, but afaik it's a problem in nearly every game with the 8-series cards, and not just ArmA. In that light im not sure if it's up to the developpers to resolve or Nvidia/Drivers.

Anyone know when the next high-end nvidia card is released? That's my biggest hope for a solution atm.

Should be around christmas timeframe. Exception might be, if ATI

isnt able to surpass 8800 Ultra with next offering. We'll see.

Next couple drivers by Nvidia should be interesting as well,

as they are promising to fix some major bugs wrt. hefty slowdowns

and more in other games. Hardware is fine;..but the drivers (sigh)

Okay guys, today I purchased a 8800gts and yup, the fog bug is there confused_o.gif

I'm really wondering if this is a ArmA bug or driver issue, does someone have ANY clue as to what the reason for this is?!

It's a true game killer especially when you're flying.

sad_o.gif

Well it ain't always easy with 7900 series card and ArmA either. I had to open up the chassis side as it gets too hot during the summer time. It must be the memory since Nvidia settings display and record a decent temperature for the card.

Don`t open the chassis, that will make things worse.

Put a few fans into the chassis, that will do the trick. wink_o.gif

Uh, what does that have to do with the 8800 fog?

huh.gif I have 2 8800 GTS running SLI but have not noticed fog? What does the effect look like?

I do keep my view distance pretty low so that could be why I am not aware of it.

I have 8800GTS 320MB and i have the fog bug.Please fix it. sad_o.gif

huh.gif I have 2 8800 GTS running SLI but have not noticed fog? What does the effect look like?

I do keep my view distance pretty low so that could be why I am not aware of it.

6800 View distance 10000 meter:

holmenarmaae4.jpg

8800 View distance 10000 meter:

vdfy8.jpg

Here are some screenshots I got when upgrading. The first one was with a 6600GT, and the second was with a 8800GTS. The first picture was edited just a bit, but I think it was only the mountian that I was standing on.

viewtestoldsv7.jpg

viewtestnewqw1.jpg

Personally, I don't think the fog bug is too big of a deal. I think it actually makes the game look better.

Look this screenshots i have made:

arma2007081017051243ou0.jpg

arma2007081017055960uw7.jpg

arma2007081017052085pr6.jpg

arma2007081017055564be5.jpg

You can see more clear at night than at day, why? because at night there isn't really fog. I think it is a bug game problem that when is day fog never deletes at all, like not happens in night. Are you agree?

PS: all screens were made with bar fog on the left (supposed 0 fog)

and what is wrong with those pics? That there is haze in the distance?

and what is wrong with those pics? That there is haze in the distance?

Yes, but not only that, you can see it all the way down to about 50 meters too, it makes the game look pale and ugly, also makes flying hard.

Maruk wrote somewhere, that there is also another problem with the 8800 series, some VRAM problems and that the best card is the 7950GT 512 for ArmA, but this serie will be totaly outdated at the end of this year, because DX10 and and propably Duo/QuadCore Support is gonna come up with most next gen. games.

If i want no fog i have to can put it to 0 fog like in night screens. For example, i would have to see the church in day as clear as it is in night.

So its always on, hazy at distance and hazy close up? Well the haze at distance is normal, Is this on Evo, with dynamic weather.

Actually its not only a problem on the 8800, im having the exact same thing on my HD2900XT, tried both catalyst 7.6 and 7.7, win xp and vista 64-bit. had a X1800XT before and had no problem at all

The fog BUG with the GF8800 series in arma has NOTHING to do with:

- Overheating

- "Maybe it's a cloudy day"

- "What's wrong with the fog, it makes the game look more real"

It is a known BUG and it would be nice to hear some news from BIS about this problem.

MfG Lee mad_o.gifhuh.gif

So its always on, hazy at distance and hazy close up? Well the haze at distance is normal, Is this on Evo, with dynamic weather.

Is that a question or are you telling me what it is?

Of course there's a 'fog/haze' at distance, that how the engine limits view distance, if you observe the images posted here and on the BTS, you'll see that the 8800 has more of this haze than other cards which can be seen very close up, honestly your comment almost seems condescending as if people are too stupid to know the difference between dynamic weather and a bug.

It's not dynamic weather, this is offline.

I'm seeing the same type of fog and I'm using a 7950 GX2. I'm also using the 160.03 beta drivers. I also set the View Distance to ~3500m. The fog is not consistent. Sometimes on a plain with mountains in the background, it seems that one can see forever. The distance looks clear. However, once up in a chopper, the same area and the distant horizon looks like a fog bank. One may say that the altitude that the chopper is at is too high. No. It doesn't matter what altitude.

This fog glitch crept in somewhere around the 1.07 beta patch and the 1.08 patch does not clear it up. On the BIS mission "Delivery Boy", the fog makes it very tough to see the OPFOR at the opposite side of the field in the very beginning of the mission, when one can use the .50 cal machine.

The 160.03 drivers, otherwise, run the game well. I would like to see BIS solve this one glitch. It seems that the fog crept in after BIS optimized how textures are calculated with the more recent patches.

Well in real life there should be some haze at the distance. It's not a vacuum or filtered air.

in real life somedays you can see a lot far without fog, i want it in arma. If you look well my screenshots, when is night there is no fog in near distances, but in day there is,with the fog set to 0. From this time, i will not call fog, i will call it pollution! like in big cities.