Sign in to follow this  
spetznaz14

Fog bug again!!!!

I have been playing ARMA for months with first 8800 GTS and now with the GTX and I have been very happy with it until now. Why, oh why did I read this thread....

Seriously, this is not a big issue, I have never even noticed it, not a big deal at all, there are much more important problems to deal with.

I beg to differ..

I am currently playing with a map that runs completely smooth on 15 000 meters view distance and I can assure you that the visibility is murdered by the fog bug.

kklownboy - where is the HDR setting?

Never mind, found it. Already set to 8 so no possibility to improve it for me.

BI, GIVE US THAT PATCH!

or, for god sakes, someone leak it...wait, never mind, I didn't say that, would pr0lly violate their NDA, which should, of course, not be encouraged. wink_o.gif

Yeah I have to agree, this is a big issue. I'm running an 8800GTS and I had a 7950 GT KO Superclocked before and while this pic is edited simulate what it's like without the fog bug - with photoshop, it's pretty close to how I remember Arma before I got the 8800. Much nicer to look at. At times it gets worse, especially in the mornings.

Clicky for Pic

edit: clarification of pic

IMHO it only looks better with that fog. But of course you can have your own HO smile_o.gif

IMHO it is MUCH more important to get this "cannot create memory surface" or something like that crash to desktop fixed. I feel extremally lucky if I play for 45 minutes with no crash.

Kindly shut up if you are just here to say things like "its not a big deal", I have stopped playing Arma partly because of this bug and still play OFP. Yes it doesn't matter... if you are blind.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it is more severe on some setups such as CRT monitors or brightness turned all way down? Or maybe some other settings?

I can only say that I have been playing ARMA for 8 months now on 3 different DX10 cards (two nvidia and ati 2900PRO) and i never noticed this issue at all.

I remember playing long time ago a single player mission (I dont know which one) - the fog was extremally dense and really annoying, but I think this was just a part of the mission design. If you get that type of a fog in each mission - I can understand the frustration.

"Kindly shut up" - thank you for putting the "kindly" word there. It makes this sound so much better!

I completely understand the frustration. I too had a different vidcard (x1950Pro) and allthough it was a lot slower it sure looked a lot nicer.

In "foggy" levels you get more then just the bit of fog that was meant by the mission maker. You get milk and can't see squat till u step on it. In planes it's a big deal as well.

To make a long story short: the fog is very annoying if you ever played without it. It takes away a lot of detail and makes it harder to spot targets at range, exactly what arma is all about for me.

The fogbug sucks like hell for us, there is no excuse like: "but there are other bugs, they should fix them first".

This is the "fog bug topic" so we are talking about the fog bug here.

You like the fog bug?

How about making a "ArmA's fog bug is just ... awesome!" topic in the general forums?

---

Ontopic: How about some positive news about the patch BIS?

Any chance a public beta is going to be released the next days?

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Maybe it is more severe on some setups such as CRT monitors or brightness turned all way down? Or maybe some other settings?

Ah, no. Tried messing with color settings for the video card, monitor and even the video overlay brightness/contrast. That's not it. Thanks for patronizing everyone experiencing the bug though.

Quote[/b] ]I can only say that I have been playing ARMA for 8 months now on 3 different DX10 cards (two nvidia and ati 2900PRO) and i never noticed this issue at all.

Perhaps you got owned when you bought them and they just rebranded DirectX 9 cards and told you they were DirectX 10 cards.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]I remember playing long time ago a single player mission (I dont know which one) -  the fog was extremally dense and really annoying,

Yep. Now imagine that is most TOD's and all missions you play. Take a look at my TrueRangeAi video, where the Harrier enters just before getting shot down - that's the Fog Bug at it's best.

Quote[/b] ]If you get that type of a fog in each mission - I can understand the frustration.

Right on. So end of the quarrelling then?

i am the dog and BIS is the butcher- so please BIS throw out some meat. more dogs here?

i bought the new dx10 card to play arma with 5000m view distance and for better details-now i think about to buy an old dx9 card again to play this damn game with 2500m and better view distance.

that's not funny- i hate this words but i paid my money for this excellent game and i want to play it in an excellent way.

so, where is the meat???

The fog bug just pisses me off when i see screenshots of others arma gamers.. without the bug

But think on the bright side of life tounge2.gif patch 1.09 fixes it and that will be out when BIS completes it.. Becuase they said parts of it were compilcated thats why its taking so long.

There should be no argument whether the bug exists - BI themselves have acknowledged it exists.  What is frustrating us so much is that they have a fix, confirmed by external testers to actually work, but have delayed releasing it because they are working on other aspects of the patch (specifically VON improvements - see Suma's early November post elsewhere in this forum).

We would like BI to either give us the full patch now or break the fog bug fix out of the patch and issue it as a hot fix now, if the full patch is going to continue to be delayed.

There should be no argument whether the bug exists - BI themselves have acknowledged it exists. What is frustrating us so much is that they have a fix, confirmed by external testers to actually work, but have delayed releasing it because they are working on other aspects of the patch (specifically VON improvements - see Suma's early November post elsewhere in this forum).

We would like BI to either give us the full patch now or break the fog bug fix out of the patch and issue it as a hot fix now, if the full patch is going to continue to be delayed.

Roger that. I suppose the only good thing is there might be some good coop missions made ready for when/if I finally play Arma again (not played for about 6 months due to bug). I could not give a flying duck about VON. So bored of waiting now and this has certainly damaged my faith in buying BIS products.

Ok it's frustrating, but it's gonna get fixed. Let's leave it there. We can cry all day, but what's the use.

Let's close this thread as it leads to nothing productive.

Ok it's frustrating, but it's gonna get fixed. Let's leave it there. We can cry all day, but what's the use.

How about closing your mouth as that seems also to be non-productive.

Why not close all threads that dare to criticise?.

whistle.gif

Why rant and rant and rant over something thats allready fixed?

BTW i have a 8800 GTX too, so i'll allso be happy to have it fixed. There's just no point in asking for it NOW as it's ALLREADY COMING.

By the way: click on the link in my siggy to see if i'm productive or not.

What have YOU done for our community?

If "Arma is dead" as you said: WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?

Damn this is unproductive rofl.gif

What do you think, a troubleshooting is for?

Ppl talk about their problems here and ask for help and/or a fix.

What is so funny about that?

I bought my GF8800GTS last December, that is close to A YEAR I'm waiting now for the fix.

Oh, it is allready fixed? Ok, then give it to us!

But no, we have to wait for anti-cheat stuff(yes important too) and the "breathtaking" new voice feature which is going to be tested to DEATH right now(also very cool). Great..

What "we" have done for the community?

Do we have to do something to get a half way working game ONE year after the release??

Maybe we should pay BIS for the Patch? crazy_o.gif

---

I hate the word "fanboy" and all this bullshit talk, but it looks more and more that you either:

- be a "BIS fanboy"

or

- shut up and NEVER talk about things that are bad

on this forums...

Community? OFP had one, ArmA hopefully will get one some day...

MfG Lee welcome.gif

BIS is working at patch 1.09 - why should they release only one fog-bugfix? We hope that BIS will get this fog bug out of ArmA with all graphic cards - no need for perpetual nagging. xmas_o.gif

why should they release only one fog-bugfix?

Because:

- the bug is one year old

- use the chance to also release other bugfixes which are ready

- to make me happy

- to make the other GF8800 User happy

- to show how good this game can look like

- to have a open beta test for the patch

- to close this thread

- to make me buy ArmA II at beta stage for the full price

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

Hah some people seem to think troubleshooting is for shooting at trouble.

Anyway, i don't care what some of the bigger ego's think.

I'll enjoy the patch when it comes. Isn't it quite contradictory to on one hand DEMAND A PATCH NOW and on the other RANT OVER VARIOUS BUGS it may have. Try and actually create something yourself and look how easy it is to make stuff bugfree. It's not! Sometimes a little time (weeks,months,years) is needed to fix stuff, Rome wasn't built in a day.

- The "Fogbug" is a very old known bug in many games

- Do you really know about all the other fixed bugs?

It's christmas time maybe some of your wishes come true!? And maybe Santa is testing your patience skills... tounge2.gif

Actually, it MAY be productive. Suma does occasionally come into the forums and reads postings and Placebo (who authors the official community blog), as a forum moderator, is very likely to see them.

If they get the impression of how much we want to have this particular fix now, know that to full patch may be delayed quite a bit longer and the fix can be relatively easily broken out of the patch, MAYBE they will actually give us a hot fix now.

One thing is certain though - if we don't ask for it, there is no chance we will get it.

Whats the big deal anyway?

I have the fog bug and i can play the game just fine, if i put visibility up to 3000/4000 i have plenty of VD, i've sniped up to 2KM np.

What makes the fog bug the mother of all bugs now? Or so important that it needs a specific patch just for it? Getting rid of it will be a good thing but its far from a show stopper.

Is this a "combat photography" thing? confused_o.gif .

Why the hell is everybody trying to tell us what we are, why we want this bug fixed and that we are all assholes?

Is it really THAT hard to understand?

Do we want the fogbug gone to make photos for the 'show me how much you can edit a picture with photoshop' thread??

What are you smoking??

MfG Lee pillepalle.gif

L&M <s>lights</s>.. err blue huh.gif .

Just trying to figure out the drama (since im also afected by this "bug" but dont find it so nasty), its a little selfish to burn the house over a cosmetic thing if you consider the fact that some people cant run the game because they have vista or 4 gigs of ram confused_o.gif .

You know they are working on this patch and ArmaII, be patient and cheer up, x-mas is around the corner xmas_o.gif .