Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

ArmA Effects

Hey matt, damn you have been busy since I last spoke to you! Normally you can never be bothered to do any work tounge2.gif

This might actually make me brush the dust off my ArmA disc and try it out, still need more ram though.

Quote[/b] ]Any update yet? Like the big square flash of the MK19 ? I'm eager and waiting.....

You'll get an update August 1st I do believe, 4 days smile_o.gif

-Ziggy- @ July 22 2007,19:12)]LOL @ posting from cellphone rofl.gif

I sympathise tounge2.gif

Any update yet? Like the big square flash of the MK19 ? I'm eager and waiting.....  notworthy.gif

By the way, FYI MaddMatt, its not always a big square flash, for me, the Mk-19 muzzle flash is that of tanks (round, but still bigger than the Stryker itself  icon_rolleyes.gif )

Hey guys, as promised I have updated it today. Check first post here for details and link.

Still very unfinished of course. There are quite a few changes, including new explosions and longer lasting smake. As well as bigger dust shockwaves from vehicles exploding and new vehicle explosion effects.

The muzzle flash bug with vehicle grenade launchers is still there. I will sort this out, I just need to do some scripting for this.

Quote[/b] ]Are there any intentions to work on the helicopters? I find it rather ... Odd that just turn into a charred piece of wreckage and fall out of the sky.

Will see what I can do wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hi Matt @

I was curious,have you ever contemplated whether it was possible to augment the visual effects from firing weapons likethe AT-4?

Like in these videos, notice the displacement of the debris/sand around the soldier when firing:

It's possible. On my to-do list smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Any update yet? Like the big square flash of the MK19 ? I'm eager and waiting.....

There is now tounge2.gif Haven't sorted out that issue just yet, but this should be the last release where it exists.

Quote[/b] ]Hey matt, damn you have been busy since I last spoke to you! Normally you can never be bothered to do any work tounge2.gif

This might actually make me brush the dust off my ArmA disc and try it out, still need more ram though.

Hey sim. I can't help it if I'm a bit lazy sometimes tounge2.gif . Now it's your turn to release some stuff! Get to work on some missions biggrin_o.gif

Edit: Fixed this post, it was messed up crazy_o.gif

I have an idea for you. Could you use the muzzle blast from the Mk19 for the backblast effect on the AT-4, apart from looking into the "shockwave"-effects suggested earlier? And perhaps remove the smoke trails from said weapon as the AT-4 isn´t rocket propelled.

And oh, before I forget; Great job, mate. thumbs-up.gif

I love you matt  biggrin_o.gif . Ill check it out right now and tell you what i think.

EDIT: Really great work, man. It is much better than i would have thought you would release today. Honestly speaking, out of everything, there are only 2 things that i find noticeably off.

1. On explosions, i believe there is a bit of an excess amount of flames. I think you should either shield it by a bit more smoke, or tone it down a little bit (explosions in war are never really like in movies; they are mostly smoke and dirt and you can barely see any flames.) Its like those magicians or something, a quick flash and a bunch of smoke and dirt particles floating around.

2. The dust/smoke that shoots up when you shoot the ground. The ... how can i put this..? the acutely shooting dirt looks great, but the puffs of dirt later on in the effect are rather sparse and dotty like.... This isnt much of a problem, just constructive criticism.

Also, my take on the AT-4 is you could try to take the tank muzzle flash, make it a little bit smaller, and use it as a backblast for the AT-4. Other than that, you need to remove the smoke from the projectile as it moves, as stated above.

By the way, it would make a good shockwave if on every explosion you make a ring of light smoke shooting away from the explosion, just like a real one. They use this idea on that nuclear scud mod, by the way.

By the BY the way, I have seen quite a bit of combat/explosions etc.

I hope this helps  

Thanks again for your great work.  notworthy.gif

Are these MP compatiable so i see the effects, i knw others wont unless they have them too but will it work for me?

Are these MP compatiable so i see the effects, i knw others wont unless they have them too but will it work for me?

If it's purely config settings then you will see the effects in any mission, including MP.

Great! The Mod becomes better and better.

Can you make the first fire explosion faster? Like a flash?

I don't know if tools are needed, but sparks would be awesome.

Like the hit effect on the BTR-T Addon for OFP.

The explosive ammo effect should looks like a fast flash, without much smoke. Or more like the grenade explosion.

The muzzle flash from the BMP3 video would be great.

For example:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7mPk6CpgOI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I-nyg-_swac

although a very successful Mod

Keep working!

Matt, im really impressed with this new version!

well done! i have not tested all but the explosions are much better and more realistic!

I love this addon with chammys! inlove.gif

Great addon matt, nice work!

Cant believe i missed this for so long O_o

Keep it up!

Oh poo...

Should I use this or the smoke effects beta 3?

That also adds grenade blasts sad_o.gif

I played your mod btw and I love the grenade effects (I greatly prefer them over the DM Smoke Effects mod)

This. It changes much more things. You should check out the readme (its on the first post).

And it doesnt require any scripting.

This. It changes much more things. You should check out the readme (its on the first post).

Erm.. look, each to their own etc, but DMSmokeEffects doesn't require scripting either. It does if you want the EXTRA smoke effects, which is admittedly the core of the addon. But the config changes work "magically" smile_o.gif

MaddMatt's effects are a great mod. As I said to Sickboy in PM, mine is made to look realistic, even if that means ugly, whereas MaddMatt's are made to look great smile_o.gif I have to base mine on footage of actual events, that's why I sometimes need to call custom textures. MaddMatt's effects are done entirely with config, which is a great achievement smile_o.gif

And, of course, a much smaller download wink_o.gif

Erm.. look, each to their own etc, but DMSmokeEffects doesn't require scripting either. It does if you want the EXTRA smoke effects, which is admittedly the core of the addon. But the config changes work "magically" smile_o.gif

MaddMatt's effects are a great mod. As I said to Sickboy in PM, mine is made to look realistic, even if that means ugly, whereas MaddMatt's are made to look great smile_o.gif I have to base mine on footage of actual events, that's why I sometimes need to call custom textures. MaddMatt's effects are done entirely with config, which is a great achievement smile_o.gif

And, of course, a much smaller download wink_o.gif

MaddMatts effects arent necessarily made to look good. It is just that with the time he was allowed he was only able to add a certain amount of affects while the rest of the mod is just a config that uses stock files in different ways.... right?

Either way, I still think this is a bit better than the corny effects that came with ArmA.

It would be nice to get some more new explosion textures though.

Hey guys, as promised I have updated it today. Check first post here for details and link.

Still very unfinished of course. There are quite a few changes, including new explosions and longer lasting smake. As well as bigger dust shockwaves from vehicles exploding and new vehicle explosion effects.

The muzzle flash bug with vehicle grenade launchers is still there. I will sort this out, I just need to do some scripting for this.

Quote[/b] ]Are there any intentions to work on the helicopters? I find it rather ... Odd that just turn into a charred piece of wreckage and fall out of the sky.

Will see what I can do wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hi Matt @

I was curious,have you ever contemplated whether it was possible to augment the visual effects from firing weapons likethe AT-4?

Like in these videos, notice the displacement of the debris/sand around the soldier when firing:

It's possible. On my to-do list smile_o.gif

There is now tounge2.gif Haven't sorted out that issue just yet, but this should be the last release where it exists.

Quote[/b] ]Hey matt, damn you have been busy since I last spoke to you! Normally you can never be bothered to do any work  tounge2.gif

Hey sim. I can't help it if I'm a bit lazy sometimes tounge2.gif . Now it's your turn to release some stuff! Get to work on some missions biggrin_o.gif

Edit: Fixed this post, it was messed up crazy_o.gif

I smell a video comin' on whistle.gifbiggrin_o.gif

MaddMatts effects arent necessarily made to look good. It is just that with the time he was allowed he was only able to add a certain amount of affects while the rest of the mod is just a config that uses stock files in different ways.... right?

Actually the entire mod is a config that uses stock files in different ways smile_o.gif

I run both! smile_o.gif

Actually I reckon you could - if I remember rightly it depends on what order you list the mods in your shortcut. Say for example you prefer my grenades but like MaddMatt's explosions, then you list the mods in the correct order and my configs overwrite his. As my configs only contain changes and is not an entire config copy, then all the rest of MaddMatt's configs should "show through" mine.

Can't remember which order they should be in though smile_o.gif trial & error wink_o.gif

I'm basing this on OFP behavior BTW.

Thanks for the suggestions, and the videos. They have been helpful smile_o.gif . Explosive ammo effects were made without watching and comparing to real life footage all that much, they were just done rather quickly. They will be improved of course.

I do want to make the effects look real. Currently the grenade effect is the only one where I spent time comparing it to real footage and trying to match it. The other effects are still being worked on.

MaddMatt's effects are a great mod. As I said to Sickboy in PM, mine is made to look realistic, even if that means ugly, whereas MaddMatt's are made to look great smile_o.gif I have to base mine on footage of actual events, that's why I sometimes need to call custom textures.

The only reason I don't use custom textures, is because I can't make them myself tounge2.gif

I am also trying to base mine on actual footage. It's just that I haven't finished the effects. Be patient! crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Currently my effects are only done with config changes, but I can't do everything purely through the config. I am going to do scripting for those effects which need it.

The only reason I don't use custom textures, is because I can't make them myself tounge2.gif

I am also trying to base mine on actual footage. It's just that I haven't finished the effects. Be patient! crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Currently my effects are only done with config changes, but I can't do everything purely through the config. I am going to do scripting for those effects which need it.

LOL, well I hope I didn't offend you by suggesting your effects look great biggrin_o.gif it certainly wasn't my intention wink_o.gif

My method is to work on one or two effects at a time, which is why I only have a few config changes at any time. I also try to keep the number of custom textures down, as it only adds to the memory overheads I guess.

I really like the new explosion effect in your addon MaddMatt, I'd like to use a derivative of it for myself wink_o.gif research footage shows me that tank explosions have a small percentage chance of internal ordinance exploding like that, and I'd like the DMSmokeEffects to have this eventually. It seems to me that mostly tank explosions are poofs of white/light grey smoke, changing to dark over time as fuel & plastics burn.

But as I said, occasionally it all goes fireworks... and of course fuel explosions look like that anyways.