Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

ArmA Effects

Thanks MaddMatt for your work !

The explosion are truly impressive, it's just that they happen 100% of the time, which is a hardcoded issue.

What do you think of this potential solution:

- setting all land vehicles class to destructtype 'building': no more explosions;

- adding an eventhandler 'killed' to certain land vehicles classes (tank, car, etc..) that would call a RandomFireBall.sqs/sqf ;

- this script would then choose whether or not to launch the explosion animation.

I haven't looked yet at the method you employed to obtain those explosions. Are they config or script (particles, drop etc..) ?

Regarding the issues with SIX_Pack addons, it's my fault : some files were still in the \dat directory (SIX_tracers.hpp, etc..) AND I didn't install correctly the extended init addon. Well, you know : RTFM ! wink_o.gif

Looking forward to your improvements !

Malick

Making the effect appear randomly would require scripting. Blame BIS for making every damn tank explode instead of just being disabled tounge2.gif As I just said, I will script better stuff eventually.

Blame BIS for making game mechanics that are easy to understand to the casual gamer! If they didn't explode, gamers would pump round after round into disabled vehicles until *something* happened.

As for the comment about not being able to please us. I think you have pleased all of us, Matt. I also think that pleasing us shouldn't be your top priority. I think your mod is tip top.

Thanks MaddMatt for your work !

The explosion are truly impressive, it's just that they happen 100% of the time, which is a hardcoded issue.

What do you think of this potential solution:

- setting all land vehicles class to destructtype 'building': no more explosions;

- adding an eventhandler 'killed' to certain land vehicles classes (tank, car, etc..) that would call a RandomFireBall.sqs/sqf ;

- this script would then choose whether or not to launch the explosion animation.

I haven't looked yet at the method you employed to obtain those explosions. Are they config or script (particles, drop etc..) ?

Regarding the issues with SIX_Pack addons, it's my fault : some files were still in the \dat directory (SIX_tracers.hpp, etc..) AND I didn't install correctly the extended init addon. Well, you know : RTFM ! wink_o.gif

Looking forward to your improvements !

Malick

The only effect currently done with scripting is the tank muzzle flash. Everything else is config based.

I think the WGL mod had a system similar what you describe for vehicle destruction.

I will probably get rid of the config effect for the explosion and replace it with scripts so I have plenty of control over the effects. That would mean no huge fireball when a humvee with MG explodes for example.

As for actually setting vehicles not to explode at all by default, that could make things a bit weird in MP when not everyone uses the mod. At this stage, I want to keep this mod to visual effects only and not affect gameplay. Those explosions cause damage to nearby things and that effects gameplay. As for the look of the explosions - that's what I'm changing here smile_o.gif .

Blame BIS for making game mechanics that are easy to understand to the casual gamer! If they didn't explode, gamers would pump round after round into disabled vehicles until *something* happened.

As for the comment about not being able to please us. I think you have pleased all of us, Matt. I also think that pleasing us shouldn't be your top priority. I think your mod is tip top.

If there were better effects for disabled tanks, then it would be more obvious that they were disabled. Also, tanks can actually be disabled by AT weapons from a hit in the tracks so I don't agree with the casual games argument. Besides, if this was aimed at casual games then it would be more like BF2 tounge2.gif

Anyway I'm not changing gameplay here so it doesn't matter.

Pleasing isn't my top priority. I'm doing what I want, just taking other peoples opinions into consideration smile_o.gif After all, I'm not getting paid for this. If other people like it, that's just a bonus.

I will try to make the effects more random.

Sounds great !! thumbs-up.gif

Things i love:

- new explosive ammo effect (Vulcan,KA-50 HE ammo).

- new tank muzzleflash.

Things I dont like:

- grenade explosion smokeanimation seems to be imo to slow.

- building collaps low dense of smoke

- explosion "blastwave" smokeeffekt doesnt look good when spectating it from above (heli)

- some weapons should not explode with a huge "fireball": Hellfire, FFAR, sabot

Awesome JOb MAdd im using it Always.

But that Tank explosion Blow me Away to crazy_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Your  welcome.gif

With your Great Modification tounge2.gif

top notch Maddmatt smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think the WGL mod had a system similar what you describe for vehicle destruction.

correct.

problem with scripted effects is FPS - you have to keep this in

mind. it is a big trade-off!

you might wanna consider making script effects optional (via user

settings and map settings (game logics)).

i recommend you to have the main focus on config based changes.

ArmA doesn't have an onImpactEH AFAIK, so for scripted effects

on impact (weapons) you'll have the keep performance in mind

very much.

a suggestion:

(at least in OFP) you can use "random 0" in the config as well!

of course you will have to keep in mind here again MP sync issues!

random is a very great tool to make effects look more natural

though.

keep up your excellent work mate

thumbs-up.gif

Hi, great addon!!!

The only thing is, i dont have a new muzzle flash from the tanks?

Any idea why?

Quote[/b] ]It's impossible to make all you people happy tounge2.gif

Yeah, it would be impossible to make everyone happy. No matter the caliber of the mod, someone always has a different opinion on how things should look/sound/feel.

While the new version is 'perfect' to me, I understand that it is up to you, the mod maker to change and do this and that as you feel. I have to accept this because I cannot do this myself, yet.  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]When I start the scripted stuff things will be different. I will try to make the effects more random.

Just out of curiousity, wouldn't 'scripting' be slower than using the config? or do you mean, scripting the config? Sorry man, I'm still a noob when it comes this stuff.

imo new version = kickass!  notworthy.gif  Thank you

ArmAVidz

If there were better effects for disabled tanks, then it would be more obvious that they were disabled. Also, tanks can actually be disabled by AT weapons from a hit in the tracks so I don't agree with the casual games argument. Besides, if this was aimed at casual games then it would be more like BF2 tounge2.gif

That casual gamer comment you made doesn't make any sense, Matt. Surely you can appreciate that that is just the same as saying that if ArmA made more concessions to casual gaming, it would eventually become Dance Dance Revolution.

Disabling the tracks of a tank gives you a mobility kill.. what the crew do then is up to them, but the tank is not destroyed nor is it not a threat anymore. Rendering a crew compartment hit and spalling the interior with vaporous metal, killing those inside would render a completely disabled tank that has not changed in outward appearance.

Hi, great addon!!!

Any idea why?

This addon colides somehow with 6thsense pack1 addon as far i concern. I dont have new tank muzleflash either.

Hi, great addon!!!

Any idea why?

This addon colides somehow with 6thsense pack1 addon as far i concern. I dont have new tank muzleflash either.

Yes that can it be!

Im also using the 6th sense pack1

Damn....

Regards, Christian

This addon is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

yay.gifinlove.gifyay.gif

Keep it up MaddMatt thumbs-up.gif

Things I dont like:

- grenade explosion smokeanimation seems to be imo to slow.

- building collaps low dense of smoke

- explosion "blastwave" smokeeffekt doesnt look good when spectating it from above (heli)

- some weapons should not explode with a huge "fireball": Hellfire, FFAR, sabot...

I'll look into the first 3 points, sometime.

As for the last one. Well it does take a while to create a unique effect for every single weapon crazy_o.gif

I know some of those shouldn't have such a bright explosion, but some explosive weapons do. Hellfires definitely explode with a huge fireball, at least in the footage I have seen.

problem with scripted effects is FPS - you have to keep this in

mind. it is a big trade-off!

you might wanna consider making script effects optional (via user

settings and map settings (game logics)).

i recommend you to have the main focus on config based changes.

What I can do in the config will be done in the config. When I do scripts, I'll do my best to make sure they don't kill FPS.

ArmA doesn't have an onImpactEH AFAIK, so for scripted effects

on impact (weapons) you'll have the keep performance in mind

very much.

Unlike OFP, ArmA lets you assign different effects to different weapons. Compare the explosions from missiles to handgrenades. They are completely different and not just the same effect adjusted to a different size depending on the weapon's damage (that's what OFP did). Effects in ArmA can also launch scripts, so if I needed to I can have scripts launched at impact points without having to use some tracking script for the projectile. Look at how DMarkwick did the handgrenade explosions in his mod for an example.

So I think I'll be able to create cool effects without killing FPS with demanding scripts. smile_o.gif

I know about the random command. ArmA particles also have other settings in the config that can make things more random, settings that OFP didn't have.

Just out of curiousity, wouldn't 'scripting' be slower than using the config? or do you mean, scripting the config? Sorry man, I'm still a noob when it comes this stuff.

If scripts are done well then they wont necessarily be any slower than by using the config. The tank muzzle flash effect is a script and it doesn't have any performance issues. I will still stick to the config where I can. It's just that sometimes I need to get around those limits with scripts.

That casual gamer comment you made doesn't make any sense, Matt. Surely you can appreciate that that is just the same as saying that if ArmA made more concessions to casual gaming, it would eventually become Dance Dance Revolution.

Well that's just taking it further. I don't think tanks explode simply to make things less confusing for casual gamers. It's a lot of work to create a complex damage system.

a suggestion:

(at least in OFP) you can use "random 0" in the config as well!

of course you will have to keep in mind here again MP sync issues!

random is a very great tool to make effects look more natural

though.

You mean that we can use the random function in a config file ? That would be nice, but isn't it a script command ?

Malick

well Phaeden did the magnificent effects back in WGL, at least it

seems to work:

OFP code:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgCloudlets

{

access=1;

// Basic explosion seen at the center of all things that go boom

class Explosion

{

access=3;

cloudletDuration="0.25+(random 0.25)";

cloudletAnimPeriod=0.5;

//cloudletSize=0.150 +(random 0.15);

//cloudletSize="0.050 +(random 0.15)";

cloudletSize="2.0 +(random 4)";

cloudletAlpha="0.05+(random 0.45000)";

cloudletGrowUp=0.25;

cloudletFadeIn=0.0;

cloudletFadeOut="0.25+random 0.25";

cloudletAccY=0;

cloudletMinYSpeed=0;

cloudletMaxYSpeed=1;

cloudletShape="cl_fire";

cloudletColor[]={"0.80+(random 0.015)","0.32+(random 0.015)","0.020+(random 0.015)","0"};

interval=0.01;

size= "0.75+(random 1)";

sourceSize= "0.55+(random 0.65)";

timeToLive=0;

initT=2500;

deltaT=-4000;

respect Maddmatt - you guys are really very much into this! thumbs-up.gif

I know some of those shouldn't have such a bright explosion, but some explosive weapons do. Hellfires definitely explode with a huge fireball, at least in the footage I have seen.

i guess in the footage the hellfire hit a target, and the targets ammo explodes.

i reduced the fireanim size effect of the standard explosions by my self, now it looks as i wish, so i'm really happy with it.

your mod is one of my favorites, but i found one more bug...

if you shoot a grenade high against a building, the explosion will be on the right position, but the smokeanimation will be on the ground.

Hellfires definitely explode with a huge fireball, at least in the footage I have seen.

Probably because in the footage you have seen, tanks were being destroyed. Tanks have an extreme amount of ammunition and quite a bit of fuel that make for an explosion that easily launches the turret up around 30-50 feet (fuel helps to make that fireball).

Naw, dude, the hellfires make a huge fireball.  And by huge, I mean about tank-sized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK4_rTR9Ghg

Trust me, i know what im talking about.

1st vid has a large fireball because of the fuel of the tank igniting. Would be bigger if the tank were an actual enemy with ammunition.

Second explosion is about accurate about what a hellfire does when it strikes a hard surface.

Real explosions are nothing more than a very fast flash and lots of dust.

Only reason you see lengthy flames like that is because of gasoline mostly.

Naw, dude, the hellfires make a huge fireball. And by huge, I mean about tank-sized.

1st vid has a large fireball because of the fuel of the tank igniting. Would be bigger if the tank were an actual enemy with ammunition.

Second explosion is about accurate about what a hellfire does when it strikes a hard surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2KKsskpHq0

And this is the gasoline tank of that steel wall exploding?

Naw, dude, the hellfires make a huge fireball.  And by huge, I mean about tank-sized.

Bad footage. Also, high speed camera slo mo is not a good thing either. In real time, those debris would basically instantly be on that camera.

EDIT: Real time footage

It appears that the target was without fuel or ammunition to ignite a larger fireball.

Bad quality, but it still gives an idea on how hellfires genuinely explode.

Hollywood explosion= fireball

Real thing (without gasoline)= quick flash of fire followed by walls of smoke.

Bad footage. Also, high speed camera slo mo is not a good thing either. In real time, those debris would basically instantly be on that camera.

EDIT: Real time footage

It appears that the target was without fuel or ammunition to ignite a larger fireball.

Bad quality, but it still gives an idea on how hellfires genuinely explode.

Hollywood explosion= fireball

Real thing (without gasoline)= quick flash of fire followed by walls of smoke.

Good find man, yeah, like AC said, you never see a big fireball, that wouldnt make sence at all anyways, unlike, like he said your firing at somthing with fuel in it.

I see a huge fireball in that video. I think that you are thinking that I mean a slow moving one. I don't. The fact remains that there is a fireball and it is large, if instantaneous.