Sign in to follow this  
Sled88

SAS - Special Air Service Pack

@ June 10 2007,22:58)]IMHO units like the Special Air Service in Armed Assault can only be done justice when the tools are out and proper gear can be modeled.

I'm afraid you're right. Or if someone get the p3ds decoded from arma... wink_o.gif

Anyway thank very much... I see you're from a SAS-Mod also... If there is a need to cooperate just say a word! wink_o.gif

Just out of curiousty, do the SAS have permission to choose thier own loadout of weapons?

AFAIK The SAS get to choose the kit the want, they would not choose the SA80 as it not as dependable as the other rifles they have at their disposal.

I would say it is, its far more reliable than the colt range of weapons (if you exclude HK's M4 take). And is nor far less sensitive to dust now unlike the american counterparts. Two main reasons they don't use it as a standard weapon would be:

1. Weight

2. Its ability to be customised is not as good as the Colt/Colt Canada weapons.

@para-trooper: Of which weapon did you spoke?

@para-trooper: Of which weapon did you spoke?
Quote[/b] ]they would not choose the SA80 as it not as dependable as the other rifles they have at their disposal.
Quote[/b] ]I would say it is, its far more reliable than the colt range of weapons (if you exclude HK's M4 take). And is nor far less sensitive to dust now unlike the american counterparts. Two main reasons they don't use it as a standard weapon would be:

1. Weight

2. Its ability to be customised is not as good as the Colt/Colt Canada weapons.

Thx JdB:

And what about the L85LMG? If it was that name?!

EDIT: Yep.. this one... the upper one..

IM001682.JPG

I remember seeing a SAS-guy wth that....

The only times you would see British Speical forces with the L86A2 Light Support Weapon LSW (or more effectionaltely know as LS trouble-eW) is either when SF are on an overt patrol or mission where they are working aklongside regular forces, they (the UKSF) will wear and use standard issued equipment to blend in.

Until about maybe 6 years ago the reserve SAS (21/23) were still issued the L85A2 and L86A2 as standard. They now use the same as 22 SAS which is as per the list I posted earlier for you.

And im sure they will never wear their SAS crest on their uniforms as they dont want the enemy to know that they are SFs

they dont? Man thats a bit boring to not be able to scare off the enemy by showing their sas "Tags" biggrin_o.gif

Btw nice units! Would be cool if they could have brittish voice overs too but im not sure if that can be done, it wasnt in ofp at least.. tounge2.gif

Good work. Would hate to see this one vanish into the woodwork.

the m16a1 was used during gulf war 1 and earlier

i think the modern sas are either issued with a2´s or diemencos (or whatever theyre written like..)

I`m just following the page, someone gave me yesterday here...

Wow an SAS mod nice work my friend!!!

Just two suggestions:

1. AFAIK the SAS only ever wear their sand beret when at barracks in Hereford, it is never worn on operations.

2. I think the key word here is 'scruffiness'. I would love to see SAS units looking dirty, unshaven, and wearing a random mix of their own favourite clothing (as if they have been out in the field for weeks). This 'individuality' and a disregard for the rulebook are what characterises their approach to warfare and makes them so successful.

I dont know how much you can do with the available tools but they look a bit 'clean' and 'shiny' at the moment -- still great work though well done thumbs-up.gif

I take it you've worked alongside the SAS then Mandrake5? You sound very knowledgable notworthy.gif

The A2s a good weapon if you know how to look after it, its more weighty than most modern rifles but its fairly easy to maintain.

The only proof you need is to look at 16 AA, 3 Commando, and now 12 Mech in Afghan.

The A1 was a little more a pain in the arse, required a high level of maintanence but it worked.

The LSW is now a DM (Direct Marksman) rifle, a good shot ie sniper badged personnel can score strikes at 800 meters with the Susat fitted, theres rumour that the optics will be upgraded on the weapon system but its unlikely.

The first bunch of 'Sharpshooters' are being converted correctly using the LSW this year.

This looks really good. I've got a friend down my local who reminisces about his days in the SAS, I'll tell him about this. One thing I love about the SAS is how they can do what they like and not have to ever take orders. Only the 'Boss' is allowed to give recommendations then individuals can do what they like.

I heard you have to perform some sacred ritual to get in the SAS involving midgets; hot coals and half a poison-dart frog. On top of that, if you join the SAS as an officer, you're only allowed to carry a sidearm and wear beige dinner jackets.

My friend told me they're now using either the XM8 or the OICW. smile_o.gif

My friend told me they're now using either the XM8 or the OICW. smile_o.gif

Both development projects were scrapped some time ago, they'd more likely be using the H&K416, C8SFW or FN Scar now, weapons which actually still exist beyond the prototype firing range stage whistle.gif

I heard you have to perform some sacred ritual to get in the SAS involving midgets; hot coals and half a poison-dart frog. On top of that, if you join the SAS as an officer, you're only allowed to carry a sidearm and wear beige dinner jackets.

Both rituals were scrapped some time ago, they'd more than likely be using rollmat wrestling, a practice which actually exists beyond the imagination of Tim. whistle.gif

I've got a friend down my local who reminisces about his days in the SAS
Quote[/b] ]All UK pubs are required by law to have one alcoholic regular who used to be a member of the SAS and was one of the first pair into the Iranian Embassy.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Little-known_Facts_about_the_SAS

tounge2.gif

And back to business... nice units. Ooooh bad time for... well, anyone else once they get running in my ArmA. wink_o.gif

armchair.jpg

I think perhaps this better sums up the point that subtle sarcasm has failed to get across.

Anyway, best of luck with the units, just take the advice you get in here with a pinch of salt, unless you find an actual SAS member to advise you LOL! All these people saying the SAS use this and that obviously don't know for sure, even people who say they've been SAS are likely lying through thier teeth! biggrin_o.gif