Sign in to follow this  
Sled88

SAS - Special Air Service Pack

nice stuff! smile_o.gif maybe more wear and tear and also any chance of any special forces stuff like a grapling hook or some ropes would be cool thumbs-up.gif

I think it's easiest to consider all "Tier One" units like SAS, Delta, DEVGRU, MARSOC, etc. to be "undercover" while operating. The purpose is likely to be politically, and operationally motivated. When an op goes tits up, complete governmental denial is SOP.

So what's most likely to look most authentic, would be to think what's most simple, light-weight, drab, grungy- (With bits of new kit dispersed throughout, like a clean field jacket, new hiking boots, high quality sunglasses, etc. ) unkempt- ( long, shaggy hair, unshaven, smudged with mud, blood, grease, soot. ) etc.

No two guys should look alike. If you want it to look real, try to vary each operators kit somewhat. Maybe make something slightly different, per "class".

I think you've got the weapons right just about right. They can use everything- but in any picture of them, or another unit like them, they were equipped with camo'ed M16/M4/C7/C8's with M203, AG36, GPMG. Don't know about the SA80/LSW, but if they wanted to, they could. It wouldn't be that surprising, would it?

Probably a HK MP5,G33/G53/G36 wouldn't go amiss. I wouldn't be surprised to see a FN FAL/FNC. Just rummage throughout the most common small arms of NATO members, and you'll do fine. Might also be appropriate to equip them with some of the better/perhaps customized, AKs, SVD, etc. Splash some camo textures on it, dirty it up- ( But not too dirty. These guys are pros, and they'll keep their weapons serviceable. )

Radio's/earpieces,throat/lip mikes, sunglasses, fleece jackets, sports/hiking/tactical boots, binoculars, bergen's, shemagh's, Afghan/ski/jungle/balaklava hat, gloves, dive watch, GPS/ballistic/PDA, NVG's, LD/LRF's, and various pouches for everything.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. It would be nice to have some really decent Tier One units in the game, and I can't model them myself.

wink_o.gif

Can someone help me with hex-editing plz? so I can release the first version.

ahem just as note..

special forces dont wear any patches or whatever that could identify them as such.

or wear beretts in combat situations... (and their berett color is sand-tan.. not red wink_o.gif )

also i havent seen a single picture where sas use vests.

they rank mobility prior to protection..

maybe use some of the soviet/russian base model..

that doesnt have a vest but that simple green harness.

you could much more with that..

also they paint alot of their field gear with crude splotches to match their BDU as sometimes they still have woodland dpm that might stick out too much in the desert..

other from that theres 1 or 2 other sas mods..

maybe cooperate with them....

oh and yea i think they use the GMPG machine gun as a main support rifle instead of the m249 at least i havent seen any with them

I think they use both but My questions would be, why would the SAS who rely on stealth and mobility need a 30lb gun + ammo? I would just use the saw which is half the weight and has the same 725 rounds a minute : /

I think they use both but My questions would be, why would the SAS who rely on stealth and mobility need a 30lb gun + ammo? I would just use the saw which is half the weight and has the same 725 rounds a minute : /

The GPMG uses the 7.62 NATO round, which packs more punch (obviously) than the 5.56 used by the Minimi. It all depends on user-preference and mission-requirements. For a stealth mission I doubt the operator would be carrying even a Minimi under his jacket tounge2.gif

Pistols and small SMGs are suited to stealth missions, not squad weapons or any other full blown rifle.

Quote[/b] ]I think they use both but My questions would be, why would the SAS who rely on stealth and mobility need a 30lb gun + ammo? I would just use the saw which is half the weight and has the same 725 rounds a minute : /

Who said the SAS rely on stealth? tounge2.gif Judging from operations like Trent, they can fight their fierce ground battles any day.

Daniel @ June 17 2007,16:10)]
Quote[/b] ]I think they use both but My questions would be, why would the SAS who rely on stealth and mobility need a 30lb gun + ammo? I would just use the saw which is half the weight and has the same 725 rounds a minute : /

Who said the SAS rely on stealth? tounge2.gif Judging from operations like Trent, they can fight their fierce ground battles any day.

They rely on stealth but can engage in firefights when they have to ...

Current SAS roles are believed to include:[1]

* Intelligence collection in the deep battlespace.

* Battlespace preparation by sabotage and offensive raiding in the medium and deep battlespace.

* Counter Terrorism operations inside United Kingdom territory in conjunction with police forces.[citation needed]

* Counter Terrorism operations outside UK territory.

* Training special forces of other nations

* Counter Revolutionary Warfare activities in support of UK government Foreign Policy.

* Protection of senior British dignitaries and VIPs.

They are by no means a private army, they rely on stealth speed and aggression. smile_o.gif

Can someone help me with hex-editing plz? so I can release the first version.

Hi mate,

If you still need help with the hex-editing just pm me your msn address an my friend will help you,he mods for gtr2 and rfactor,so i asked him for some assistance and he said he would help if you still need it.

All the best

Dan

thats a good vid that is,ive seen it before but cudnt remember where ive been searching for it for the last few days,but glad you posted it,and yeh not very exciting uniform at all.

Easy now.

Dan pistols.gif

none of them are SAS

thats SBS.

the SAS is in Iraq whilest SBS are serving in Ghan.

the SAS wear DPM uniforms on all pics ive seen whilest

the SBS wear these kind of cloth

theres a longer version of this on liveleak

[edit] *nevermind, I should have learnt by now to stay well away from such conversations*

hey nice looking SAS units. im a mission maker myself so give me a PM if u need some missions to release with them.

someone said that it would be good to get british voices in the game, this was done as plugins for a mod for OFP, could easily be done i think for ArmA.

Yeah, still need help on this but I have no msn... Only ICQ... And erm, E-Mail^^

About the m249, the SAS use it as the Minimi and do use it quite a lot, webbing they use is generally '58 pattern webbing, google it, and they use the browning 9mm a lot. Also, the M240 is refered to as the GPMG by us Brits.

SO is there anyone who can change these f****** pathes of the textures??? would be cool so we can release the first version. Its just I have no msn anymore...

webbing they use is generally '58 pattern webbing

I'm wary of delving into this topic as anything SAS related usually turns into a battle of armchair generals...

I'm fairly certain that the SAS do not use '58 pattern webbing. AFAIK it is issued only to members of the cadet forces, and even then most cadets have the sense (yes, we're not all gobshites) to buy the newer stuff. As a cadet myself I've used the '58 stuff and it is utter crap.

Now there was an upgrade to the '58 pattern, the '72 pattern which is rumoured to once have been used by the SAS because it was easier to decontaminate.

The bottom line is '58 pattern webbing is outdated and the newer PLCE stuff is of a far higher quality.

Please note, I don't claim to know what "they" wear, I'm simply applying common sense as to what they might/might not wear.

-back on track-

Sorry Sled can't help you out with the texture stuff, although I would say that the beret isn't the wisest of choices for the units.

webbing they use is generally '58 pattern webbing

I'm wary of delving into this topic as anything SAS related usually turns into a battle of armchair generals...

I'm fairly certain that the SAS do not use '58 pattern webbing. AFAIK it is issued only to members of the cadet forces, and even then most cadets have the sense (yes, we're not all gobshites) to buy the newer stuff. As a cadet myself I've used the '58 stuff and it is utter crap.

Now there was an upgrade to the '58 pattern, the '72 pattern which is rumoured to once have been used by the SAS because it was easier to decontaminate.

The bottom line is '58 pattern webbing is outdated and the newer PLCE stuff is of a far higher quality.

Please note, I don't claim to know what "they" wear, I'm simply applying common sense as to what they might/might not wear.

-back on track-

Sorry Sled can't help you out with the texture stuff, although I would say that the beret isn't the wisest of choices for the units.

You are correct the SAS use the latest kit and a lot of it is purchased from SASS and Arktis under an MOD procurement contract.

I have been fortunate to have had a post mission BBQ in Sterling when we supported them on their annual 'Pirates Treasure' exercise up in Scotland.

In a nutshell the SAS wear and use whatever they want or need permitting. They do use the SA80, they do use chest rigs and they do scavange when out in the hooloo.

They do not wear their beret outside of Sterling Lines.

none of them are SAS

thats SBS.

the SAS is in Iraq whilest SBS are serving in Ghan.

the SAS wear DPM uniforms on all pics ive seen whilest

the SBS wear these kind of cloth

theres a longer version of this on liveleak

Pray tell how you know all this information? Seems you must have some high level of clearance to know for sure who is serving where and to be able to tell others they are wrong with such certainty, are you a serving soldier yourself?

The closest you'll get to Dienmenco's with scopes in ArmA atm without modelling tools, is the default M16A4 ACQ's? No?

sas7oq3.jpg

these are sbs... not sas..

They are in mufti - what does it matter if they are SAS or SBS!?   rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]

ArmA Chairborne leads the way! Hooah..urgh!  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I think the '58 pattern in British service is now consigned to

history although it is still being churned out by the ton in

Chinese sweat-shops for the "leisure market" (it's 90%

guaranteed that any '58 webbing you buy on t'internet today

is made in the Far East). In the 60s, 70s and 80s SAS-style

belt kits were apparently made up by the individual out of

various '58 patt, '44 patt, US M67, US ALICE and W.German

bits (and some custom made items). That was in the days

before private purchase kit was widely available. I'd suppose

that the practise of making up sets of kit to personal

preference persists - but with a much wider choice of bits

available nowadays.

There was actually more than one '58 pattern set in butyl

nylon. The nylon '58 set had the same components as

webbing '58 but in butyl-covered webbing (the same material

as the issue GS bergen and the later '58 patt NBC satchels).

Really the nylon was thought to be better in wet conditions

more than any supposed convenience for personal NBC

decontamination. This set was not widely used and when it

was it was mostly by bootnecks.

The '72 set proper was "inspired" by the American ALICE sets

and included a "butt-pack" instead of the kidney pouches. It

was also made of nylon covered webbing but was not

widely used by anyone. I don't think it even got much past

trials stage although SAS (reg or TA) may well have tried it

out (dunno). Most of it eventually found its way onto

the "surplus" market in about the mid 1980s.

There was also a '58 set that was made in sand coloured

webbing, but again was rarely issued. Various armies in the

middle east (incl. Iraqi) ended up with lots of it.

I used the '58 set too a lot and I'd not exactly call it

"utter crap". It was as good as anything else going in its

day, and with a few "modifications" (eg. dumping the

incredible shrinking '58 waterbottle carrier and getting a '44

patt waterbottle and carrier, getting some gucci "SAS" mag

pouches, chopping off the spade carrier, getting an additional

bumroll and some bungees...etc etc) and creative application

of black tape it did the job OK.

Think yourselves lucky, when I were a little lad in the cadets

we still used the old '37 sets (which we had to "blanco"

with bootpolish and polish the brasses with "Brasso")  wink_o.gif

Ten minutes after it was on the belt was usually up around

your armpits and whenever you ran the small pack whacked

your helmet (Mk. III & IV WW2 issue as well) over your

eyes.  How the heck our grandpas helped beat Hitler's bully-

boys wearing that awful contraption I'll never know.   icon_rolleyes.gif

these are sbs... not sas..

They are in mufti - what does it matter if they are SAS or SBS!? rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]

ArmA Chairborne leads the way! Hooah..urgh! biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I think the '58 pattern in British service is now consigned to

history although it is still being churned out by the ton in

Chinese sweat-shops for the "leisure market" (it's 90%

guaranteed that any '58 webbing you buy on t'internet today

is made in the Far East). In the 60s, 70s and 80s SAS-style

belt kits were apparently made up by the individual out of

various '58 patt, '44 patt, US M67, US ALICE and W.German

bits (and some custom made items). That was in the days

before private purchase kit was widely available. I'd suppose

that the practise of making up sets of kit to personal

preference persists - but with a much wider choice of bits

available nowadays.

There was actually more than one '58 pattern set in butyl

nylon. The nylon '58 set had the same components as

webbing '58 but in butyl-covered webbing (the same material

as the issue GS bergen and the later '58 patt NBC satchels).

Really the nylon was thought to be better in wet conditions

more than any supposed convenience for personal NBC

decontamination. This set was not widely used and when it

was it was mostly by bootnecks.

The '72 set proper was "inspired" by the American ALICE sets

and included a "butt-pack" instead of the kidney pouches. It

was also made of nylon covered webbing but was not

widely used by anyone. I don't think it even got much past

trials stage although SAS (reg or TA) may well have tried it

out (dunno). Most of it eventually found its way onto

the "surplus" market in about the mid 1980s.

There was also a '58 set that was made in sand coloured

webbing, but again was rarely issued. Various armies in the

middle east (incl. Iraqi) ended up with lots of it.

I used the '58 set too a lot and I'd not exactly call it

"utter crap". It was as good as anything else going in its

day, and with a few "modifications" (eg. dumping the

incredible shrinking '58 waterbottle carrier and getting a '44

patt waterbottle and carrier, getting some gucci "SAS" mag

pouches, chopping off the spade carrier, getting an additional

bumroll and some bungees...etc etc) and creative application

of black tape it did the job OK.

Think yourselves lucky, when I were a little lad in the cadets

we still used the old '37 sets (which we had to "blanco"

with bootpolish and polish the brasses with "Brasso") wink_o.gif

Ten minutes after it was on the belt was usually up around

your armpits and whenever you ran the small pack whacked

your helmet (Mk. III & IV WW2 issue as well) over your

eyes. How the heck our grandpas helped beat Hitler's bully-

boys wearing that awful contraption I'll never know. icon_rolleyes.gif

well sas/sbs and the reporter clearly says that these could be SAS soldiers. Dont even know what the hell SBS is: secrect boat service crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif ??