Sign in to follow this  
Sled88

SAS - Special Air Service Pack

Sure, I agree on the information regarding the SAS and any other kind of SF or blackops units being unreliable at best, however if we were to all torch people that would make such units with the (unreliable) information, like Pathy and some others have done in this thread, with their "you don't know what you're talking about" attitude, then we would have missed out on a lot of great OFP addons in the last few years.

Triumphs such as the BAS Rangers and Deltas, SJB and Laser's work, RHS and ORCS's work on Russian units like Spetznatz, French SF by OFrP, Dutch Commandos by Lowlands Warrior and many others. For all these units, the information is based on hear-say or the very little information that is released by the goverment regarding any of these units or the operations they undertake.

Addonmaking is about artistic freedom. Where you lack sufficient information regarding equipment, operations, training, functioning etc, you need to fill in the gaps as best as possible (i.e. by using someone with experience in the regular armed forces), even if they might be a little off. It certainly won't prevent 95% of the players of enjoying them, even if they make a real soldier giggle. This is after all a game focused on realism, and not the real life barracks at Hereford.

Anyone that is so keen on getting things 100% right should join the real SAS for the experience of a lifetime, and stop picking on people that at least try to bring joy to players as best as possible. You cannot deliver accurate information to the addonmakers either, just like others in this thread that are trying to help anyone making, or at least planning to make, units with a secretive nature. You are only focusing on the negative, if everyone had such an attitude we wouldn't have had nearly as many addons for OFP as we do.

Do something constructive instead of trying to obstruct other people in their hobby.

You completely fail to grasp the point my friend, I haven't torched anyone for making units, i'm an addon maker myself for fucks sake (i'm making UKFs new infantry, if you must know - that constructive enough for you?), i've torched people for giving shit advice, and in particular going;

"shut up, you're wrong, because THIS is what the SAS are like. I know for sure because i read it on a website!"

I do not believe there is a single person in this thread who has the authority to do that, it irks me no end that these people *think* they are in the know to the point where they will tell others they are wrong with such certainty, despite only having wikipedia and google knowledge to go on themselves. I've talked about this thread with a couple of guys who are experienced soldiers themselves, and I don't believe either of them would come into this thread and adopt that attitude, because they realise that they just cannot say for sure! So to see some civvy wanker doing it is just fucking annoying.

It's not about discouraging people from making great addons, and if you still think that's the case, you clearly have your head up your own arse. It's quite the opposite, it's about directing people to reliable advice so that they make the best addons possible. I adviced Sled88 earlier on to 'take advice you're given here with a pinch of salt'. I think i know what addon making is about having been doing it since 2001/2. Myself, i strive for perfection. Want to know why UKFs DPM units arent released? Because i spend alot of time on teamspeak with a couple of serving soldiers, making sure that theres no part of my addon that is inaccurate. So when i come to them with new webbing that i've just spent a day modelling and texturing, if they tell me it's wrong, i'll go and redo it. So please don't lecture me on the nature of addon making, i'm well aware of how hard it is to come across *good* advice, and i'm painfully aware of how easy it is to come across shit advice.

Why'd you think i'm so adamant that people stop giving it? As it is, theres plenty of good advice in this thread if you look past whatever it is you percieve from this thread (And i still think you're seeing something in this thread that isnt actually there, because i've no idea where you're pulling half the stuff you've said in your post from). For example, Poms last post:

Quote[/b] ]

"Why dont you just make reg infantry models with out helmets and ECBA /Osperay, Give em soom personal kit ie diffrent smocks, shirts, webbing and headdress. No berrys.

NO

DZ FLASHES

Union jacks"

Good bit of advice there, it's not a pretentious "STFU! Wikipedia says otherwise! I know best!" style post that *some* people in this thread have been so keen to make, but it's obvious that he's actually got some experience (i'm guessing you're RAF reg, Pom?), doesn't come across like he thinks he knows for sure like some of the civvy cnuts in this thread seem to think they do, but he's making an educated guess based on his experience and his best guess.

In short i'm not trying to stop anyone from giving advice, i'm not trying to crush this guys addon. It just gets me pissed off that people like Pom, who offer the best bits of advice you'll likely get (but don't say it with certainty, because they know better), invariably end up getting dismissed for being 'negative' and end up playing second fiddle to those who offer thier google knowledge with such certainty that they will tell others they are wrong, even though they are actually some German girl who can't possibly have the qualification to do so. I wouldnt mind if it was a 'i think these are...' post...but all i've seen are 'No, you are wrong, this IS....' posts. Again, what gives someone qualification to post like this?

You want to know why i haven't given any advice? I'm a civvy wanker myself, and whilst i'm more knowledgeable than most (due to the hours of questions i've asked), my knowledge is second hand, & i am not qualified to say. But if you must know, here is what i've agreed on with my advisors for UKFs DPM pack 2. We'll be making a generic special forces model, pretty much a regular infantry unit stripped of identifying badges, and given a few extra bits of gucci kit and gear, different headdress, assault vests, etc. If you want my advice, i wouldn't aim to make SAS as something radically different, i'd aim to make regular British Infantry, without identifying marks, mix up the headgear and webbing abit, give them Diemacos, and call it done.

Happy now?

Edit:

Quote[/b] ]Berets not berrys rofl.gif

Funny thing is, whilst he can't spell it, at least he probably knows how to wear one properly... wink_o.gif

You want to know why i haven't given any advice? I'm a civvy wanker myself, and whilst i'm more knowledgeable than most (due to the hours of questions i've asked), my knowledge is second hand, & i am not qualified to say. But if you must know, here is what i've agreed on with my advisors for UKFs DPM pack 2. We'll be making a generic special forces model, pretty much a regular infantry unit stripped of identifying badges, and given a few extra bits of gucci kit and gear, different headdress, assault vests, etc. If you want my advice, i wouldn't aim to make SAS as something radically different, i'd aim to make regular British Infantry, without identifying marks, mix up the headgear and webbing abit, give them Diemacos, and call it done.

Sound advice Pathy.

I am a civvie tart myself and have little knowlage of whats what; that our armed forces have fun with on a daily basis.

I got kicked out of the Royal Marines a wile back now but the things squaddies know is more accurate than what some pork pie muncher has added to an open source website like Wikipedia.

I was talking to a guy in the Household Cavalry Reg (B Squadron where regularly assigned to mingle with RM's) and he could talk forever about some new feature on the Striker or Scimitar that most would not even realise was there, so from that point of view you will never be accurate unless you talk with people who are using it every day.

And Pathy, good luck with those units, I hope they turn out like you want them to.

Like it.

Why stop there? Why not go the whole hog and make a complette British force? ArmA needs some UK intervenion to clean up this yankee mess. tounge2.gif

Is Sled88 and the Virus guys still around? I haven't seen a thing from them in a while and I haven't been able to get their website up in months. Are they still working on there projects? I can't seem to find anything that answers my inquiry.

Berets not berrys rofl.gif

Yes, I was taking the piss out of the guy who can't spell

Well i might not be abel to spell but atleast i have the balls to slag some one off to there face and not on the internet.

Im a proffesional solider I carry a rifle and HE weapons not a F***ing Office set.

PS Sorry about this being slightly offtopic.

I'm All out of advice for you mod mate seen thou im not special forces I dont really have much to offer except from what i have seen the lads that I know that have gone SF.