Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... awesome!

What I like most about ArmA is that its continually in a state of evolution. New content, new mods, etc., allow everyone to personalize the game in a manner that suits them the most. These facts alone mean that ArmA will continue to be one of my most used programs not just short term but for years to come.

How often in this day and age can you honestly say a game developer actively supports their software even after the money is in the bank? Not only does BI support their software but they also give the community means to customize the game in every way possible.

I think devs such as EA and Codemasters could certainly learn a thing or two from BI.

Great work!

I think devs such as EA and Codemasters could certainly learn a thing or two from BI.

Great work!

Companies like EA and codemasters don't care about making fun games........ they just care about making money. Back in the days of 8 and 16 bit..... they were fantastic developers/publishers. Codemasters were especially good, when they first came onto the scene. Now they just care about making money.... and games like Arma aren't anywhere near profitable for them to touch. Basically they've completely sold out.

I just hope BI remains true to their fans, and don't ever sell out like other developers have done.

Things are looking pretty good around Arma lately. The editing tools are out and theres atleast one more patch to look forward to. Plenty of scripts and related material available already (for mission editing).

I loved OPF (and vbs1) but i havent touched them since i got my hands on Arma (that and a new PC).

I guess Arma is awsome then, not perfect but still awsome.

Noobs are leaving at a good pace and even Placebo came back. Arma is full of potential and new possibilities, a rough start but the future is looking damn good smile_o.gif .

Heh, I'm VERY happy about ArmA at the moment. New patch on the horizon, got tools, modders are working hard, awesome addons already released... doesn't get much better than this.

And I'm a Vista user too, and all is well. FINALLY. The dreaded out-o-texture-memory issue has fucked off, thanks to NVidia and M$ pulling together. Thank the Lord. biggrin_o.gif

One of my favorite game experience is when your on a Berzerk type game with some semblance of order, and your matched up in a 'sniper war' with an enemy sniper. You know he's out there, he knows your out there and you both silently nod in respect to each other's handiwork - sometimes even dueling it out- just awesome!

True. How many other games are there where the environment and necessary style of battle create respect for the enemy and their skill? Not many. Chess is one. notworthy.gif

True.  How many other games are there where the environment and necessary style of battle create respect for the enemy and their skill?  Not many.  Chess is one.  notworthy.gif

In chess, you make individual moves, and dont have to worry about the animations messing up your next move. In this game, you make a move-Then wonder if your animation is going to stop in time to kill your enemy.

The only thing, that this game has in common with chess is, the time it takes you to make a move. Nobody wants to come out of there camper positions-Incase they cannot stop intime to kill somone.

You should find a more enjoyable team to play with, and possibly try a different control method (Do you know about the need to go from sprint to jog to stop like IRL, to halt on a dime?). None of those issues here, if I may ask, please dont mar my post, it was true from my experience. To embellish my comment on ArmA's awesomness, our units (The Regiment- 3ID, 10th Mountain, 1st AirCav) move like chess pieces. Crisp movement (individual and group), interwoven fields of fire and support, and tight comms giving fantastic situational awareness across oversight and action elements, make for a hair-and-skill raising, fun event. I've not had a better experience. Combined Arms at it's best.

True. How many other games are there where the environment and necessary style of battle create respect for the enemy and their skill? Not many. Chess is one. notworthy.gif

In chess, you make individual moves, and dont have to worry about the animations messing up your next move. In this game, you make a move-Then wonder if your animation is going to stop in time to kill your enemy.

Spamming the forums with the same crap as usual icon_rolleyes.gif

When I play ArmA my character stops as soon as I let go of the keys, so either you're talking crap or something is wrong with your setup.

If you're talking about getting shot while reloading or something like that, well then you made a wrong move and your enemy took advantage of that tounge2.gif

Dudester

What has your post to do with this thread? If you want complain use the sticky thread which is intended for this.

Consider yourself warned.

Well I spent some time in the Canadian Military (oxymoron) in '86 so my memory may be a bit hazy but I remember it being very difficult to complete any kind of move instantaneously as well. In fact, I may be one of the few people here who is not completely out of sorts about ArmA's animations because there really not that bad. I certainly prefer them to the arcade animations of virtually every other game out there.

Yesterday was the first time I pulled my head from the editor and actually spent some time online. A few of my buddies and I hooked up on Teamspeak, found a decent UK server, and played Evolution for almost half a day. It's been years since I've done anything like this and it was an utter blast. Plenty of teamwork, coordinated efforts, players helping players, etc.; the way gaming should be.

Sure theres some bugs but that can be said for any game really. At least BIS hasn't turned their back on us and left the game unsupported.

Anyway, h3ll with it, I'm g0nna go play some more ArmA. biggrin_o.gif

I couldn't agree more Duke. I know very little about true combat maneuvers but i do run a strength and conditioning camp for all sorts of people including high-caliber athletes and let me tell you, nobody stops on a dime after full sprint. Knowing how to properly decelerate the body is a highly-prized skill and also reduces injuries. Granted, this is not finely tweaked in this game but I prefer it anyday to the hordes of mindless inertia-less, point your cursor and click shooters that are already out there. There is a mod coming out (wont name as i don't want to steal any thunder), that has slightly speeded up animations and loosened up the soldiers joints, which I believe, hits the nail on the head.

I finally got around to upgrading to a better PC (my old P4 1.8Ghz w/Radeon 9600SE didn't really care for ArmA, or anything else for that matter), and all I can say is that I'm blown away by Armed Assault. It might be a little bit rough around the edges, and it might not be exactly like OFP, but it's still pretty much the best soldier sim yet, and it'll get better and better once more community addons and missions are made. Of course, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd choose it over all the glitz and flashiness of games like BF2 or the new Ghost Recon games any day. Mostly because it's totally hardcore and unforgiving, and anything you do (including bugger all) can lead to your untimely death. Which is nice, if you like that sort of thing.

figured i'd finally post in here.

Played OFP for years and loved every second of it (mainly MP, such as CTI)

once arma came out i bought it right away and fell in love with it instantly.

i'm an Lcpl in the United States Marine Corp, been to iraq and seen the shit. when i'm playing arma and getting shot at i actually had a few flash backs for the first few weeks i was playing it rofl.gif

weapons are pretty good but i have a few issues with the ACOG (way to powerful and doesn't look right)

vehicles look outstanding but a few issues as well (hmmvws sound supercharged... lol)

AI are tough and i love it. this aint a game for pussies! squad formations are "locked on" and movment looks great (still waiting for walking reloads though)

thanks for another good game BI thumbs-up.gif

Well I spent some time in the Canadian Military (oxymoron) in '86 so my memory may be a bit hazy but I remember it being very difficult to complete any kind of move instantaneously as well. In fact, I may be one of the few people here who is not completely out of sorts about ArmA's animations because there really not that bad. I certainly prefer them to the arcade animations of virtually every other game out there.

Yesterday was the first time I pulled my head from the editor and actually spent some time online. A few of my buddies and I hooked up on Teamspeak, found a decent UK server, and played Evolution for almost half a day. It's been years since I've done anything like this and it was an utter blast. Plenty of teamwork, coordinated efforts, players helping players, etc.; the way gaming should be.

Sure theres some bugs but that can be said for any game really. At least BIS hasn't turned their back on us and left the game unsupported.

Anyway, h3ll with it, I'm g0nna go play some more ArmA. biggrin_o.gif

i agree Duke. real life is a lot slower and clunkier then quake and i like the way arma replicates this.

the more realistic 'reaction time' of the animations is something i really find enjoyable.

smile_o.gif

Imagine how cool an Afghan pack of units and map would look like in Arma engine notworthy.gif .

Better graphics, better performance, larger scale and object density. Arma is the perfect platform for many modifications/addon packs and missions.

OPF is too old, clunky and limited, and it runs worse too.. it remains a great game but running on an obsolete platform.

Some awesome code behind the scenes I think smile_o.gif

Test 3+ times:

Stuck 20 of my Piper Warriors with AI pilots in the air over Rahmadi airstrip and for 15 mins+ they circled until deciding to land.

- Not once did they collide, very cool to watch.

- They selected their own altitude and direction to cirle

- They changed their altitude and direction every now and then to avoid each other.

Only thing was they all decided to land at the same time, so the approach que became a little crowded LOL

PiperWII_C.jpg

PiperWII_D.jpg

the city of Corazol is awesome. I want to spend my holidays there as well as I want to get into some tough urban combat. smile_o.gif

I decided to make a huge battle, where the city of dolores was under SLA occupation and the american's charge across the desert from Cayo to rid the menace. Okay, I placed 4 SLA Armor platoons, 8 Shilkas, 10 infantry groups and two gunships on standyby in case the city is attacked, Seven BLUfor armor groups 10 infantry groups along with four cobras. The Cobra Gunships were turned into swiss cheese as soon as they flew over city but taking out 4 of the shilkas, the two gunships were called to take off and seeked out any other enemy forces. which made a mockery of the BLUfor Forces after a major clash. several remaining BLUFOR units decided to regroup at the gas station by the hotel all that was left was ten soldiers and one tank, they were all from different groups as their were snipers and a few crew men left. The AI may not be the most sophisticated bunch when it comes to city fighting and other stuff but they know when a battle can't be won when all their plans go FUBAR. Which is nice to see instead of AI regrouping then coming back when they can't win, the ARMA AI know when to bugger off. ARMA is filled with atmospheric moments like this is just finding them when in mission editor.

I decided to make a huge battle, where the city of dolores was under SLA occupation and the american's charge across the desert from Cayo to rid the menace. Okay, I placed 4 SLA Armor platoons, 8 Shilkas, 10 infantry groups and two gunships on standyby in case the city is attacked, Seven BLUfor armor groups 10 infantry groups along with four cobras. The Cobra Gunships were turned into swiss cheese as soon as they flew over city but taking out 4 of the shilkas, the two gunships were called to take off and seeked out any other enemy forces. which made a mockery of the BLUfor Forces after a major clash. several remaining BLUFOR units decided to regroup at the gas station by the hotel all that was left was ten soldiers and one tank, they were all from different groups as their were snipers and a few crew men left. The AI may not be the most sophisticated bunch when it comes to city fighting and other stuff but they know when a battle can't be won when all their plans go FUBAR. Which is nice to see instead of AI regrouping then coming back when they can't win, the ARMA AI know when to bugger off. ARMA is filled with atmospheric moments like this is just finding them when in mission editor.

wow! could you send me the mission-file? I could make some fun coop mission out of it in no time. perhaps a special merc unit can make the difference... wink_o.gif

kylroy at gmx.de

Wmdaniel, Yes it sounds like a mission worth playing. Please post a link where it cane be downloaded from if possable.

TTHOR

wow! could you send me the mission-file? I could make some fun coop mission out of it in no time. perhaps a special merc unit can make the difference... wink_o.gif

kylroy at gmx.de

Hi all

Well it sounds big but...

Here is one of the biggest ever missions in ArmA. (Not the biggest because I have made even bigger ones  crazy_o.gif  rofl.gif  nener.gif )

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....23;st=0

It is part of the load testing for the Command Engine plays well as an SP game and we almost have the Multi-player version fully fixed (You can play it MP but JIP is not yet fixed)

BLUEFOR: A Mechanised Battalion Plus comprising:

1 Mechanised HQ Company, Consisting of: HQ Staff and Vehicles and protection force, 1 Tank Platoon, 1 Air Defense, 1 MASH section and the Battalion Logistics section.

2 x Mech Stryker Infantry Companies each of four platoons plus Logistics Section, Anti Air section, Medic Section, and heavy Recon.

2 x Armored Company consisting of 4 platoons of tanks and Integrated Air Defense.

1 Air Cav Infantry Company of 4 infantry platoons, with 4 x heavy integrated lift squadrons of Blackhawks and little birds

1 x Attack helicopter squadron

ALL THE ABOVE UNDER COMPLETE PLAYER CONTROL in the CoC Command Engine.

REDFOR under AI control

A Mechanised Regiment plus comprising: "What others have called a Sea of Red"

2 Armored Tank Companies of 4 Tank Platoons

4 Light Armored Tank Companies of 3 Tank Platoons

1 Light Armored Recon Company, consisting of 4 platoons of BRDMS Infantry and and UAZs

1 Heavy Anti Aircraft Platoon consisting of :7 (Shilka BRDM AA infantry and integrated heavy AT) sections .

3 Mechanised Infantry Companies of 4 BMP platoons

1 Infantry Company of 4 platoons

1 Air Cav Infantry Platoon

3 Squadrons of Kamovs.

As a straight mission it never plays the same way twice.

If you have dual core it can be run as an SP/server to take advantage of Dual core technology which makes it run faster but you do loose the ability to save or pause; which for a mission that can last 12 hours will lead to numb bum, piles, square eyes, dehydration and PTSD.

The mission comes in both straight mission and editable form so you can use it as template and edit it to make your own missions.

You play every role from colonel in charge down to section leader and grunt. Read some of my and others After Action Reviews (AAR) to get an idea of what it can be like.

Kind Regards walker

Spent last night playing evo red with my clan. [RGG]

Was fun, I for once got enough points to fly a chopper. We were attacking Masbete and decided to make a direct approach into the warehouses.

While aiming for the middle warehouse with a full LB took some fire and the engine was knocked out. I still landed it on the roof, with no injuries and everyone got out and into the warehouse without dieing.

Although no one actually got out of the warehouse and I died about 20 seconds after landing due to falling off a catwalk...

"Wow...wow....wow...." That's all I kept saying with my lips trembling with excitement after I loaded up the game after patching it and getting the options all tweaked. I've played OFP since it came out, and had big expectations for this game, but didn't have the computer to run it. I upgraded to a comp with an 8800GTX 768mB, and 2 gigs of RAM...and wow...this game has bested my expectations. I feel so immersed in the experience when I play, with all of the little details that you guys never forget, like tides, perfect lighting, the way that (if you look closely underwater) dust gets pulled up from the undertow near the shore, the little bees, butterflies, and other little creatures moving about, how looking at a bright object at night makes your eyes unadjusted to the darkness and you have to wait for them to readjust! I could go on for hours about how great this game is, but I have to get some more gaming in before I go to bed (college classes tomorrow oh no!!wink_o.gif

Oh, and for people like me that were frustrated when they installed the game and got lots of errors and lag when playing, first download the newest driver for your video card, then install the OpenAL driver from the Arma disk, then apply the 1.08 patch. I did all of those except I forgot the patch (doh!wink_o.gif and I had tons of errors and lag, making me very upset that this game was going to be bad after all, but then after applying the patch it's been VERY smooth sailing with a viewdistance of about 9000m.

Hats off to BIS!! Since most people haven't heard of this game yet, I'm going up to every guy here that has a pretty awesome computer build and likes FPSes (this is a technology school so there's lots), and I'm telling them about this game, and having them come to my room to look at it. Upon playing the demo and/or seeing me play or seeing some great videos of it, they are hooked! Maybe word-of-mouth advertising will work out for you?! You deserve it!

Very Good Day,

Kyle

(Oh and I'm telling people this is a military simulator, rather than an FPS, since...people that play FPSes like counterstrike...I don't want to play this game..sorry rofl.gif )

Edit: RGs' True mods, in conjunction with Qs' Proper mod are what I'm speaking about here.  Sorry for the confusion, I just have too many great addons to keep them straight.

I have to say a BIG thank you here to RG.  The 'True' mods, especially the Range mod has breathed even more life into ArmA!  The A10's are not only useful again, but are SUPERBLY FEARFUL ingame!  Not godlike, not invulnerable, just the great weapon they are in real life, where just two or three can decimate a field of Mech infantry and armor, and still have a chance of getting shot down.  Well done!  I'm having so much fun now with air cover and strikes.  Thank you!   notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  inlove.gif   goodnight.gif

Q's alterations to the AA, fixes on animations and situational awareness have cleared up many common, underlying issues, and are really noticable by the lack of irritation while playing.  (really appreciate the external noise levels when inside a vehicle).