Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... awesome!

Hi,

There was no scripting involved at all, the AI pilots of the Blackhawks and Little Birds had maximum skill level and were cycling between two seek and destroy waypoints in combat mode. The AI behaviour was entirely due to their default routines. thumbs-up.gif

Regards,

Sander

Its a great FU***** game! End of story. No other game matches it (Other than OFP! ). And if I am wrong, bill me! You have poor taste in games! Like, damm... No other FPS make me feel the wall I crash into it to avoid the bullets coming my way ( Thanks to actually having to avoid the bullets which will kill you WAY faster than the average FPS. ) . Talk about immersion! This rule used to apply to OFP, but now that time has brought it to ArmA: It is the ONLY game I will NOT remove from my computer for want of space. Once its on, it stays on until something better come along. (Hell! My PC is 18 months old and OFP was the first game on it (But played it on other PC's since '02. ) and it just got removed about a month ago! Almost shed a tear for that! )

Happy Hunting yall!

alext223.

XAM + FFN + sickboy's six pack + NWD ballistic is the most entertaining experience ever . Now Arma is really better than OFP not only in graphics.

Lets hope it gets the online server numbers that Cod4 is pulling in atm without packs. Then we will all be happy and maybe make a leauge or two.

What kinda blew my mind was, my team was holding a mountain pass. I had numerous enemy groups set to guard, they attack when their ready and use actual AI to attack me.

An Mi-17 loaded with elite troops set down out of range and deposit it's load. The copter then attacks me along with the troops. The copter competently flew through the mountains and kills some of my dudes ,I had a blast, and in the end I still win,...just barely.

But later ,I made the mistake in watching the latest COD game where the player kills countless hovering Mi-17's and cookie cutter troops over and over like a turkey shoot....and I wonder ,how is that fun?huh.gif

But later ,I made the mistake in watching the latest COD game where the player kills countless hovering Mi-17's and cookie cutter troops over and over like a turkey shoot....and I wonder ,how is that fun?huh.gif

Well since you ask, I'll answer. First of, it has scored high ratings in every pc games magazine there is. So the developer must of done something right.

You talk about one level in the game. Maybe you should see the rest of it. Plenty of full servers online, realistic aim down the riffle. This is not Counter Strike. Cod 4 multiplayer is tactical and realistic. I was able to play well into the early hours of the morning with 32 players no problem.

Sorry for going of topic, but i had to put him right about a few things. Anyways think this is my last post in anycase. I know you will all miss me but thats life. rofl.gif

CoD 4 is fun, interesting and possably the best game this year (Bar Crysis) but calling it realistic is pushing it.

Anyway, ArmA is excellent because it gives birth to ArmA2 which will either be the game we have been waiting for or the series swan song. Hopefully BIS realise how much they need this to be uber good.

First of, it has scored high ratings in every pc games magazine there is. So the developer must of done something right.

Yeah. Marketing.

You don't know what realism nor tactics means pal... CoD4 is an arcady gungho quake style game. Tactics and thus realism can only exist in games where fear of death or loss is high.

Stop playing old school ordinary archaic CTF or DM if you feel arma is arcady...

CoD 4 is fun, interesting and possably the best game this year (Bar Crysis) but calling it realistic is pushing it.

er, Shallow much!?

best game?

CoD4 is 5 hours long if even that (developer's own words), not including MP of course. Let's not even begin to wonder how many of those hours you spend on saving and reloading though... But after about 5 days playing the only reason you'll continue playing is because of the unlockable items, BF2/2142 style, and the fact that you spent 60 dollars on it and you want your damn money worth... Sad. Sad, sad, sad. Or wait, maybe you didn't spend anything... You'll just quit.

And Crysis isn't even out yet! How can you compare? And just like far cry it'll be the biggest hyped up game in history, maybe just second to halo3, and it'll last 3 days after release week and it'll be remembered only as a bloody benchmark, exactly like all these other shallow games controlled by 2 thumbs from your couch...

Both those games cost 50-60 dollars, Arma cost me 25, I bought 5 ish other games since then all played through, all forgotten, 8+ months going I'm still playing arma.

BIS did something right too. I'll give you a clue - It wasn't marketing.

Call of Duty 4, a finnished product for 29.99 Pound Sterling.

Armed Assault, practically a beta of ArmA2 for 19.99 Pound Sterling.

I would trade ArmA's and both of QG's single player campaings for half of CoD4's single player any day. CoD4's single player is refined (a word ArmA fanboys take offence to) and most importantly of all, finnished.

Multiplayer is uncompareable as they are two different styles.

You guys need to get a room, where you can continue your COD4 romance, this is where we bow to ArmA's awesomeness.

OFP had the best marketing. I didn't anything know about OFP back then, but the bigg sign with OFP box cover guy aiming at me told me to buy it, so I bought. And was happy. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. [/offtopic]

Best part of ArmA is playing coop at Kyllikki's. It's the only reason I bought ArmA. It was the only server I could find OFP & FDF multiplayer enjoyable. It has a discipline in there, not just bouncing as a lonewolf creamed with as*hat teamkillers.

In all fairness with COD4 there isn't really anything to actually do that's new. That fomula was refined years and years ago, the only difference is the paint job and setting. It's your regular run of the mill coridoor shooter with some deceptively open spaces here and there, but the fact still remains, it's linear and has been done many times before. It's fun for a while, then it gets repetative no end. Mow down endless hordes of bad guys like fish in a barrel. It looks pretty and has copious ammounts of press coverage but there isn't really any substance there. It'll be forgotten in a few months when COD5 is announced with the same old stuff in a new setting with more shiny graphics.

First of, it has scored high ratings in every pc games magazine there is. So the developer must of done something right.

Yeah. Marketing.

You don't know what realism nor tactics means pal... CoD4 is an arcady gungho quake style game. Tactics and thus realism can only exist in games where fear of death or loss is high.

Stop playing old school ordinary archaic CTF or DM if you feel arma is arcady...

Marketing has nothing to do with a games score given in a review. I have seen plenty of games that have been hyped up given poor reviews.

You also say i don't know what realism is. Ok, i agree with you there. I got abit carried away. But you also don't know what realism is pal. If you are suggesting that Arma is realistic. Can you tell me what part you feel is realistic. Lets see, maybe its the vehicle handling that is just awfull? or the bullet spread that is miles apart when you look down the scope. Or could it be the aircraft that left its flares in the hanger on take off.

You people are all insane, self-centered and very immature. Not only are you not talking about how great ArmA is, your conversation should actually be in off-topic. I read this thread just to see how far it can stray and it has. If you do not like this game or if you want to compare it, in a bad light, to another game, then use the correct thread.

--Ben

Arma is realistic in the fact that it is wide-open and if you get seen you can get shot.Newcomers find it hard because they get shot by something(someone) they didn't even see or predict.

My friend was over the other day and he was in awe of the size of the landscape and the feel of a hunting ground like atmosphere.

Nothing like flying a chopper across the countryside and getting lost even.

Spending 10 minutes to half-hour getting to where I wanted to go and get shot by something else that wasn't my target.

Watching me play Evolution driving a repair truck into the mountains to recover downed vehicles.

He's not really a gamer and wouldn't be turned on by most of the reflex type arcade games.

And FYI ...OFP was not marketed very well, If you are old here you will remember complaints of why don't more people know about the game.It was sold mostly by word-of-mouth and it sold well I might add.

edit: I wanted to add that back in the day "Deer Hunter" was a top-selling game...why? Because it was on Walmarts shelves before Christmas and everyone bought their husbands,brothers and who-knows the game.Just because a game sells well doesn't mean its a good game.

Armed Assault is becoming a 'finished product' because of the community's huge efforts, and I'm impressed by the amount of mods actually available which exclusively aim at enhancing the Game's core, paradoxally, that wasn't really the case for 'OFP' during the first years.

I don't want to sound naive, but I sincerely hope that BIS technical staff would take into consideration this aspect for ArmA II.

Regards,

TB

Arma is realistic in the fact that it is wide-open and if you get seen you can get shot.Newcomers find it hard because they get shot by something(someone) they didn't even see or predict.

My friend was over the other day and he was in awe of the size of the landscape and the feel of a hunting ground like atmosphere.

Nothing like flying a chopper across the countryside and getting lost even.

Spending 10 minutes to half-hour getting to where I wanted to go and get shot by something else that wasn't my target.

Watching me play Evolution driving a repair truck into the mountains to recover downed vehicles.

He's not really a gamer and wouldn't be turned on by most of the reflex type arcade games.

And FYI ...OFP was not marketed very well, If you are old here you will remember complaints of why don't more people know about the game.It was sold mostly by word-of-mouth and it sold well I might add.

edit: I wanted to add that back in the day "Deer Hunter" was a top-selling game...why? Because it was on Walmarts shelves before Christmas and everyone bought their husbands,brothers and who-knows the game.Just because a game sells well doesn't mean its a good game.

How can you say that. Marketin was like wallpapers, great, big signs on stores, and good reviews on TV shows and magazines. You don't have to hype it, you just need to get good reviews for magazines and such. That's best method of marketing.

just to try kind of back on topic, after the hugely fixed anime thanks to Sakura-chan, i find the game is more enjoyable now

and one more word to all ppl, here is a Top Gear Top Tip: If you want a game that looks like a COD game and plays like a COD game, get yourself a copy of COD!

Yeah. Marketing.

er, Shallow much!?

best game?

CoD4 is 5 hours long if even that (developer's own words), not including MP of course. Let's not even begin to wonder how many of those hours you spend on saving and reloading though... But after about 5 days playing the only reason you'll continue playing is because of the unlockable items, BF2/2142 style, and the fact that you spent 60 dollars on it and you want your damn money worth... Sad. Sad, sad, sad. Or wait, maybe you didn't spend anything... You'll just quit.

And Crysis isn't even out yet! How can you compare? And just like far cry it'll be the biggest hyped up game in history, maybe just second to halo3, and it'll last 3 days after release week and it'll be remembered only as a bloody benchmark, exactly like all these other shallow games controlled by 2 thumbs from your couch...

Both those games cost 50-60 dollars, Arma cost me 25, I bought 5 ish other games since then all played through, all forgotten, 8+ months going I'm still playing arma.

BIS did something right too. I'll give you a clue - It wasn't marketing.

Relax, there's a reason why COD4 is popular and Armed assault isnt

Relax, there's a reason why COD4 is popular and Armed assault isnt

True. That probably has more to do with the world's median IQ dropping yearly.

Ya COD4 is finished product?

Then whats all this: http://www.cod4forums.com//index.php?showforum=72

They are already up to patch 1.2

3 pages of user problems just in past week or so, kinda smokes the crap outta the troubleshooting section here don't it?

I almost bought it , I looked for it and its $49 and you can't drive vehicles.not that I can see anyways, you have to join their webpage just to see the screenshots or videos.Just a 3d shooter. No comparison.(can someone show me a ingame cockpit tank or chopper pic if you can drive vehicles?)

They are calling it warfare simulator whereas it should be labeled infantry shooter.

Not my kind of game

COD4  goodnight.gif

Can we bury the arcade talk in the military simulator forums please

Crysis is closer to compare, and yes I already bought it, playing SP till I got a duplicate image of my player and bugged out some, the boats are kewl altho you can drive on land some and has some nice features but nothing is perfect and Crysis is futuristic and has a good engine maybe for military simulator but again, it has its flaws and limits too.

I like vehicles but I don't recall seeing a gas gauge,tach? (not sure) I was busy having fun yes.Their showoff of the vehicles is you can shoot the fuel tank and explode the vehicle but it lacks in several other areas.

Nothing compares to Bis's games , I hope they keep the realistic military scenario

There are so many more features in Bis games that are not in other games, but people seem to gripe that you can't reload while walking and such but overlook all the other features making it a very complex engine.

(map,gps,fuel and economy,land size,authentic weapons and vehicles,stars,weather,flat tires,multiple turrets,squads,modability etc, etc... list goes on and on)

They are working on features all the time

Go BIS!!!!

you see the problem now a days is that the actural "SIM" aint really match up with what ppls demands on their sort of "SIM", while the not so "SIM" Hollywood made shoot'em up one which built mainly to makes ppl feels like "I AM A HERO~~" are being called and sell as a warfare simulator, and ppl acturally buys it and thinks as such, strange logic isnt it?

anyway, i think we have go far too off topic here

Off topic. I'm in total agreement, sorry to bring up COD in an ARMA thread. If we discussed games that were in the (masses) top ten ,we'd have Guitar Hero and Rock Band and any other flavor of the minute game in here... Something I can't even think of without puking.

I applaud games that standout like ARMA because it gives me what I've always wanted from a game. A true sand box war sim.

ARMA is cool because I can create a (HUGE) war scenario, then say ( I wonder how this looks like from the enemies side?) and BAM! There I am playing as (ANY) enemy solider I choose , turning the tide against the good guys.

But It doesn't stop there, I can be a civi watching the whole war unfold from anywhere I choose. It's this kind of game play that snagged many people into OFP and ARMA in the first place.

In the end ,the game is only limited by your own imagination. And in todays (spoon fed story - mass console market), I'm surprised ARMA was even released. But I'm F******* glad it was. inlove.gif

Hmmm, I might have to delete this when I sober up. whistle.gif

Recently I've been playing missions and using the save feature after every few encounters and have been find that my enjoyment levels go down as a result, I guess I enjoy dying, go figure. tounge2.gif

I went back to playing Dynamic Campaigns and not saving it at all (only when at base) and find the most thrilling aspect of game is the thrill of risk.

For example say I spend 30 mins sneaking through Sahrani at night to get to a town and assassinate an enemy Officer, then another 5 mins coming up with a plan of attack, only to find that 35 mins of gaming might be wasted by the chance that "Generic Northern Soldier 69" might turn left on his patrol and spot me, rather than turn right.

Then of course there's the part where you've been battling for however long, turn around to see "Generic Northern Soldier 53" pointing his AK at you because you forgot to tell one of your squad to cover that direction and knowing you're stuffed. (I swear the AI waits abit longer just to rub it in that you're about to die. tounge2.gif )

Granted it's shockingly annoying to lose 30 mins + progress, but I haven't yet found a game that matches the feeling of achievement you get when everything goes right and you return to base, job done.

The usual "Stop The Evil Bad guys from destroyafying the world with the super death missile laser cannon of doom in the next 2 mins against 400 bad guys with loads of explosions and sound effects" is all well and good, but it's just not the same when you only have to go back 1 min or so when you die.

I'll just stick to "Kill Generic Officer 12", guess I like the rush. tounge2.gif

Man! What a game!!

Just finished playing through the original Armed Assault campaign.  Patched to 1.08. (have Queens Gambit installed).  Never played, original, unpatched game. Thankfully!  Heard ArmA was not too playable until 1.08 came out.

Played thru with 3 mods installed:

DrugsVegitationFix (fixes enemy AI detection when you are hiding behind trees/bushes), Six_pack1 (better tracers, and a blood/first aid addition), and Q114s Sharper Recoils (weapons feel better).

WHAT A GAME!!

Just finished the final misssion, Final Countdown:

Had my original team with their striker and humvee,  that fought off some small enemy teams.  Ordered them all to "stop".  (Unsure if this prevents movement under AI control when I team switchs to other units.  Does it??)

Team switched to the two harrier pilots, had them mount, start engines, then team switched back to my original guys near the Humvee and Striker to check on them.  I think they had started to move a bit.  Saw the two harriers fly overhead and saw smoke clouds in the distance as they dropped their cluster bombs.  Both pilots were shot down within 5 minutes, one lived and remained on the map, sitting there (still playable).  The other didnt punch out in time.

Team switched to the 3 Sabetorus.  They were already injured.  Shot some enemy dudes with Aim Point M4s, then climbed down the hill and planted the satchel charges and blew up the three BMPs.  Stood too near to the BMPs, and the secondary explosions killed two of my guys, and left me badly hurt.  Said screw it and Team Switched to the AH-1 helo pilots.

Took off in a Cobra as the pilot.  Flew towards the Camp.  Saw a few patrols of enemy soldiers, mowed them down with the cannon.  Blew up 2 t72s with hellfires.  My gunner was shot and killed through the glass, and the cannon was now stuck off center, in its last position.  Targeted some machine gun emplacements, lined up the nose off center, and started spraying lead.  Switched to rockets at sprayed them and the machine gun emplacements.  Got shot down by lucky machine gun fire (too lucky in my opinion) from the enemy machine gun emplacements.  Luckily I was low, and survived the crash landing.

Now a solo, hurt, pilot with just an M-16 and iron sights, I ran towards the HUD objective of Check Out The Town (or whatever it said) .  Saw a lone enemy soldier running out in the distance.  Hit crouch, switched to burst, and got him with about 6 rounds.  Kept running towards ojbective.  Saw a friendly machine gunner running across my field of view!  He was solo and running towards whatever his squad's objective was!!  I followed him towards wherever he was going, be before we got there, BOOM "Missson Complete, Town has been taken!"  I guess the other units that were in play (My original guys, and maybe the M1s) did their job.

What an amazing game, on a high end system though.

I enjoyed COD4 alot too (especially the AC-130 mission) .  It was like playing a movie, like Blackhawk Down, in parts.  Fantastic graphics.  But still, very, very scripted.  Even though you are outside in many missions, you are forced to go a certain way by unlimited enemy troops pooring at you until you make the programmers desired move.  Still, it was a very fun game.

But the sheer scope, randomness, open-endedness, etc of Armed Assault can not be matched in any game out there.  (Of course, I'm playing it on a freaking 5000 dollar computer, and I STILL cant max the settings!!wink_o.gif   I could go back and replay the last mission 5 different ways and still not have the same outcome.

But what a game!

Now looking forward to playing the other two campaigns!

Was it perfect?

NO.

The game STILL needs patching.  Needs a 1.09 patch or a 1.10 to help things out.  Need to somehow solve the Vista 64 and 4GB ram problem, other than using boot manager to limit ram to 3072.  I think the extra gig could come in handy with all the scripts and things happening in the game.  Had too many CTDs about a DTX1 error, but eventually found a hot fix that seems to have solved it.

PS.  Any mods, big or small, worth installing to replay the original campaign?