Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... awesome!

@Mike@UK

-lol i know what you mean about the savegame. We all begged for it in OFP but now that we have it i don't know if that makes for a better gaming experience or you could play on Veteran  tounge2.gif

Your post just reminded me of that mission in OFP Res. when your stuck all alone in the woods having to sneak/fight your way through enemy lines to fine the resistence camp. That mission took on an epic life of it's own for me as I tried just about every possible strategy to make it thru alive and my heart dropped when they told me i missed the evac. Took me forever but i remember it as if it really happened.

Yes, dont buy COD4 - it's actually worse than those previous WW2 versions... Crysis sucks too. What's happening to the modern game industry?! crazy_o.gif

Yes, dont buy COD4 - it's actually worse than those previous WW2 versions... Crysis sucks too. What's happening to the modern game industry?! crazy_o.gif

Cool graphic and effects... whistle.gif who needs good story or inovative gameplay....

I'm new to this series, I am very glad I happened to find it. I would ask the guys at game stores where I could find a realistic infantry war sim and most would suggest games that you could tell by the box were not very close to being a sim. Somehow I eventually stumbled on this -- it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. A totally moddable sim that I feel immersed in when I play it. I hope it has a long life ahead of it, it is fantastic!

Dont dump on COD4 too much.

It was an awesome game. And, it played fine, from start to finish, (no bugs), on the original, Unpatched version. I'm not sure whats new in v1.3, as I completed the game as it shipped out of the box.

COD4 is just a different game from ArmA. Both have their + and -

I liked both games, though for different reasons. However, I'd say due to the highly scripted nature of COD4, its replay value is much much lower than ArmA.

There really arent any games on the market that compare to ArmA and CoD 4 CERTAINLY isnt one of them apart from the fact that they are both based on the modern military.

COD took me the better part of 3 hours to finish and was like playing a movie. The online portion of it is the usual lame, bunny hopping crap that so many people seem to think makes for great gameplay.

I've spent 5 + hours playing 1 co-op mission I developed for ArmA and the same in OFP. I actually opened a bottle of Champagne when my mate and I finished an OFP mission that took us 6 months to complete.

I've said plenty of negative things about ArmA but I am equally willing to defend it and there is no game on the market that has the lasting appeal and the versatility that ArmA has. Hopefully 1.09 will fix the remaining bugs (or at least the majority of them)

E

... but I am equally willing to defend it and there is no game on the market that has the lasting appeal and the versatility that ArmA has.

.... as did OFP. Darn Straight !

Huge playable areas, greatly varing terrain, open ended editor, open mod tools, huge scripting capabilities.

Good MP and SP abilities and AI that do put up a fight (almost too well) and are not so predictable just tops it off.

The box should say;

"Imagination and skill avoids allocation to eBay"

Hi all

I keep playing all these other games most of them get finished in a day or two; once you have played ArmA other games are easy peasy. Then I just go back to ArmA asking why I just waisted cash on other games.

I just finished one coop mission that me and guys from Zeus have been playing once or twice a week for about two months and always failing. I had lead the team at the start but I did not make it to the end but the rest of the team finished it and I watched from the lobby and listened in on TS until they realised I was dead. After I had stopped giving orders (when your dead your not allowed to speak) and a few calls of "X to command?" "X to command?" "X to command you still alive?" then the next in command still alive took over they moved on into the enemy gun battery, the cobra helo pilot and gunner had been clearing the way I Jipped back in to fly a little bird in and do some additional strafing runs on the strong points. The remains of the team made the objective and started planting satchel charges then blew the guns to a mission reminiscent of the Brécourt Manor Assault you may know it from the TV series Band of Brothers 2nd episode "Day of Days"

We usually play about 3 to 5 missions a night a mixture of coop and PvP A&Ds. We have about 10 or 12 missions we are working through at any one time some we finish quick others become favourites we replay many times. Some are just damn hard puzzles like that Brécourt Manor Assault style assault that we keep coming back to with various new plans via new LZs and assault routes. Such missions usually end in our loosing sometimes angrily at some ones failure, sometimes frustratingly as a time limit runs us out or the last player dies with victory at their fingertips often hilariously as we screw up coms or make a tactical decision that results in the AI pooning our asses but it is always fun.

Other times we play PvPs that involve protecting a principle giving a speech or running a road patrol or assaulting and defending a village. No even sides just realistic differing objectives for each side. 3 against 20 is reasonable when the other side only has to kill one AI and you have to keep it alive.

As well as that in SP I fire up the editor and make CEX missions for the next beta release or work on some other interesting addons we at CoC and AGG LLC are working on or just slap together a fun mission for an hour of leisure or download some ones addons to see what they add or install a new island insert a helicopter or car or footslogger and go sight seeing. It is what I have done since OFP and still enjoy.

In the years since the OFP/ArmA betas first came out I have tried to match other games to OFP and now ArmA and hand on heart I have not seen a game that comes close. Oh a few have one small aspect they do better but none have its breadth of of features and all will be defeated by ArmA's addon community who will surpass those other games.

The only games that will ever match or surpass ArmA is one has the same vision so far there are no contenders.

ArmA is the heavy weight champion of the war sim world that is why its pro brother VBS is the first choice for armies round the world.

Until a better game is made I will continue to play it.

Kind Regards walker

I end up playing most of the games that I buy for a few weeks then I get bored of them, but both OFP and ArmA have to me what seems like endless playability; especially with the mission editor.

Hmm you lot do make a very persuasive argument, I think you might be right wink_o.gif