Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

it would be nice to see a public version, before ArmA II gets released smile_o.gif

I wouldn't have any problems in going back for superior tactical mods, like I used to go back to OFP for mods.

I'd rather see a version they deem ready. Whether that's sooner or later doesn't make much of a difference to me. As long as they think it's done.

Simple answer, it ain't done yet. True other Mods have either been released or shown updates but there's another simple answer why they don't show much.... This is ACE, not those other Mods.

Therefore the simplest answer is......

It's done when it's done. If you can't wait, play those other Mods. Spamming little tirades won't get it out any sooner.

I think what people want is more information about the mod, rather than a release. It promises so many things that are a huge amount of work, so people have their doubts about how "real" this mod is.

Dunno, a monthly thing like "progress update" would be great. And if no progress is made in one month at all, oh well icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's an update.

People fixed some bugs. I added some new weapon models, some new features were proposed, and the latest alpha is pretty sweet.

The alpha is playable, with minor problems arising.

Problem is major focus is on coding, only a % of work are models.

Now, that would be hard to show on screenshots?

As for models I think both me and Scubaman show our stuff from time to time, so you should have an idea of what we're dooing. You've allready seen the tanks, the Gau19 and many new weapon systems/ weapon sights.

There were also informations about crew served weapons and rucksack systems. And You can also expect everything you know from 6thsense mod/packs, better (bleding, dammage, healing, tracers...) (Automatic mission generator was a part of 6thsense public, so that's also no secret).

Yeah, Scubaman updated his models, he keeps improving his skills and he is actually updating his finished models/textures/maps if he learns there is a way to improve them (from whtat I see on  the forums this is not a common habit).

You can expect all of his models to hold up to the standard of latest ones.

I am making M16/M4 replacements right now, then I'll go back and improve normal maps on the HK416/417 with skills I am now learning.

Because we're both still learning you shouldn't expect a new weaponpack each 1-2 weeks.

Theres many reasons to keep details of WIP away from public.

For one, things may be subject to change and starting giving away too early screens

will make people judge the whole mod on the basis of these wip screenshots.

Look at Chammy. He had hype building up early, so when he had stuff happening in real life and had to focus on that,

(which may happen when you don't pay someone and they do it as a spare time hobby), a lot of people turned hateful against him, because they felt let down.

Work still continues on ACE. It, like all hobbies, has its swings from high activity to low activity. We all wish we could get paid to do this full time but the isn't going to happen any time soon.

Just so you understand, we can either focus on doing PR (screenshots, monthly updates, etc) or on compeleting the mod. We think it is more important to work on the mod than to get people all excited over a few well designed screenshots.

As for the "other mods are already out there" argument, all I can say is that I don't know of any other mod that encompasses the scope and scale that ACE does. Think about it like this, most mods are a simple paragraph essay. Some more advanced mods are like a five paragraph essay. Some of the real awesome mods are even like chapter books. ACE is like a full length novel. It is much easier to write a paragraph than a novel.

As was mentioned, a lot of ACE is code. You can't really take screens shots of it and go, "Wow, that is awesome!" Unless, of course, you are a code-monkey but most of ArmA players want pretty things that go bang when they are supposed to.

In summary, ACE is coming. Please be patient.

Hey, I'D like to see those code screenshots!

That would be cool ...

Either way, keep up the good work, hope the changes don't cause you too many problems wink_o.gif

Seriously? These "update plz" posts should be deleted and counted as demerits against people. They probably haven't posted any updates because there aren't any updates to post. I'm sure they won't just keep them to themselves you know.

Absolutely. It gets old. I've never understood why people feel the need.

Just read phaedon's post a few above this and it answers the update/screenshot question.

Quote[/b] ]In summary, ACE is coming. Please be patient.

Hey all smile_o.gif

Have had ArmA a fail while, and whilst its blown me away with its own standards, the additions with this mod will keep me occupied for ages !

Whether it takes weeks, months or years to complete, you can count on me to download it !

Sarge.

hopefuly weeks or months than years or else we'll all be playing arma2. wonder if ACE will work with Arma2 without much modification?

anyway eagerly awaiting ACE too. Fallout3 will make the wait very easy i hope.

Its imho more about little info like "we are now making improvements on.... here are two wip screenies" Not those "well designed" eyecandy pics for glossy booklets. People who dont understand whats "wip", "alpha" or "in development" are bit simple-minded. Nothing to worry about!

I'm working on a few clips for when the A.C.E. is ready to release a playable version to the masses. <span style='color:red'>ETA:</span> Unknown.

<span style='color:red'>A.C.E. will not die.</span> It's got the cahounas of an elephant. Just be patient, updates are coming.  smile_o.gif

Cheers

Vidz

hopefuly weeks or months than years or else we'll all be playing arma2. wonder if ACE will work with Arma2 without much modification?

I'm sure it would take some work to get it to run properly in ArmA 2. But it should be doable smile_o.gif

It is still being worked on every single day.

There are many improvements over previous code. Many bugs have been removed. Since ACE is so complicated and requires many moving parts to make it work they way we want it to, it takes time to write all that code and even more time to make sure that the code works correctly.

Again, it is coming. Please be patient. We are confident you will like the final product.

I have registered to the forums but I'm unable to view the screens, due to some privileges restrictions...:(

Can you please them the way, that everybody can see it?

Okay, sorry if I'm out of the loop here... just need some questions answered.

1. Why is there so much code needed? I thought ACE standard for Advanced Combat Environments - ie island? Why the need for some much code?

2. What will be included in this 'novel'? Just addons and islands? Or something more exciting?

3. What's the size of this kind of mod? Are the alphas 1GB+ or around the 200-500MB mark?

Thanks lads, keep going - you'll get there, I know how it fills, the ADF Mod is still chugging along, but we'll all get there. Good luck, but it is always nice to show some of your work, it's not hard to press Alt-PrntScrn every once and a while and upload it to imageshack and post it... Just a suggestion...

Cheers

Naw, man, you've got the total wrong idea about it. Advanced Combat Environment does not refer to an island, as the term 'computing environment' does not refer to an internet cafe. It is a total conversion mod that replaces or tweaks almost every aspect of ArmA gameplay, and adds many new features.

Naw, man, you've got the total wrong idea about it.  Advanced Combat Environment does not refer to an island, as the term 'computing environment' does not refer to an internet cafe.  It is a total conversion mod that replaces or tweaks almost every aspect of ArmA gameplay, and adds many new features.

Oooo... exciting! Kinda like FFUR I'm guessing?

Can't wait! That explains alot!