Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

Soldier on the right is holding a M4 or M16 soldier on the left is holding a SCAR.

STGN

Yeah well if Codeies do make this game like ofp, BIS are scrwed lol.. Im starting to think it was codeis who made the OFP campaign with the crapness of the ArmA one.. plus all the bugs and everything that isisnt in it [refering to the relistic values of VBS2 (Tracers) and what not] i guess what is BIS GAME 2 going to be like becuase ArmA took the Game 2 Engine .. so what had BIS left with for Game 2? Is game two going to use a VR3 engine or what? ? ? i guess 2008 will be a yeah to remeber...

Yeah well if Codeies do make this game like ofp, BIS are scrwed lol.. Im starting to think it was codeis who made the OFP campaign with the crapness of the ArmA one.. plus all the bugs and everything that isisnt in it [refering to the relistic values of VBS2 (Tracers) and what not] i guess what is BIS GAME 2 going to be like becuase ArmA took the Game 2 Engine .. so what had BIS left with for Game 2? Is game two going to use a VR3 engine or what? ? ? i guess 2008 will be a yeah to remeber...

ArmA's engine is not the game 2 engine... where did you get that idea from?

i think you would be wrong there, look at the early arma pics they looked like a VBS1 on drugs then it changed to the VR2 engine which was orgianal game 2 theres posts and thingd about it somewhere.. bit too drunk to find out atm

ArmA took the Game2 engine?

VR3 engine?

Give me a break!

So: Game2 has no engine. And it has a game engine called VR3. Nice guesses but I am sure BIS does have a game engine which they can use from now on, even though they put one engine into ArmA. And they can name their game engine how they wish, like "Sponge" or "Bohem" or "Neu-Engine". It isn't far-fetched to say that the game engine used in "Game2" is the version that happens to be ready at the time of release.

On topic: I definitely hope Operation Flashpoint 2 will be a good game. If there are even more games coming that can compete with the games BIS is producing, then it is only good for all of us, even for BIS as they could have something decent to compare to, and maybe get working even harder thumbs-up.gif

One certain rule in product development is that if the competition is looking at your product and makes their product resemble your product and don't innovate something very good, they are always at least one step behind if you don't stop working.

codemaster should use some modern engines; i just hope to have in my hands a finished product. because for now, i'm just disappointed by my latest purchase.

my second hope is that ofp2 will be the real son of ofp1, even with a new engine.

Yes, my second and my first hope.

We just should wait for it (thou it doesn't hurts a little to debate, the question is only if this is a right site for it biggrin_o.gif ), and hope it for the best. Personally I don't think CM would and could affort themselves to have a blunder; I think it's a matter of 'honour' now.

I play OFP from the day the demo was released. And I love it. But I've got now great hopes for Codemasters game. Reason? I don't care if the landscapes will be bigger or smaller than in OFP or ARMA. What I hope for is realism of firefights. Let's face it. Some aspects of both OFP and ARMA are totally unrealistic. Once a contact with an enemy is made there's room for next to no tactics. Why? Because firefights last for seconds. Why? Because AI can't take cover, can't be suppressed or pinned down. Can't (I'm talking about original not modded AI) surrender, can't panic, etc. And it is shooting only to kill, not to suppres. And it's deadly accurate. OFP and ARMA allow for strategy but not tactics. I know that most of you guys will jump on me but I liked Brothers in Arms. I know that the game was quite arccadish and corridor-like but it at least tried to portray the real tatcics (4xF). In OFP and ARMA there's nothing like that. I'd love to participate in battles known for example from Close Combat series. Can I in have anything close to attacking a single farm and battling for it for ten minutes with a few wounded soldiers from both sides and withdrawal of the enemy as a result in OFP or ARMA? No. And I hope that I'll have sometime an opportunity to play a game in which I will be able to play role of a squad or platoon (with a few squads under my command) leader. Even if it means that the terrain which would be supported by this game were only 1 square km. And I hope that Codie's game will go this direction (and I like that the soldiers on the screen are apparently taking cover). And I like this statement (I know that it doesn't necessarily have to be true):

"By offering a multitude of military disciplines, gameplay will deliver warfare more realistic..."

this post hits the nail on the head fror whats lacking in ARMA and open-ended tactical shooters in general (are there others?)

I've been gaming since that thing before Atari, the one where soccer and hockey were both just two lines and a dot albeit inverted and appropriate packaging.Had all the gotta-have systems in the 70's/ 80's/90's and equivalent pc to match. With this blowharded I'm an ol' grognard qualification said, no game has captured as much of my playing time as OFP. Bought it when CGW gave it a 79% and said it was 'more of a 'soldiers sim' than a game'- nuff said.

Loved it for reasons we all love(d) it, go anywhere,fly anything, set up your military fantasy in the idiot-proof editor, press preview and game on! took years off into the netherworlds of RL and 1 week affairs with good looking shooters that eventually grew tiresome as a brain dead model. Came back after upgrading PC, trying BF2, and realizing I really missed my baby -OFP, now heavily modded and really acting like a stud. FFUR, WGL, COC, ECP, And SLX had my full attention and made me crave the next level of this type of gaming - i wanted OFP on steroids, crack smart AI, who understood 3-d terrain, cover, outdoor and urban tactics as well as state of the art graphics.

Enter ARMA. Well the jury is still out for me on this one. I want to love it and sometimes I really do.Othertimes I want to throw my monitor at my neighbor's blind dog, Huxley out of frustration. To be fair, BIS did state this game is OFP1.5, not Next-Gen sequel, but I guess I expected more. I've never been an MP player, since Tribes, but i find so far this is the bright side of ARMA, especially genius maps like Evolution. SP just doesn't have that 'cackling with electricity' feel that comes from total immersion due to AI that satisfies you with human-like behaviour nor seems to know how to navigate the beautiful new cities and towns. But the biggest drawback, as lecholas posted, are the none too real firefights that are all too quick. Most bullets in RL do NOT hit their target on the 1st or 2nd shot in miltary engagement. Soldiers SHOULD want to live and take necessary actions to ensure this not always taking the shot opting to wait for backup etc...

All this said, I welcome any and all newcomers to the genre. This is not an either/or, with us or against us. Let competition up the ante of military tacs, push the AI abilities above and beyond anything we've played before.

Those new details make me all giggly inside. Personally, I'm starting to look forward to codie's sequel. With the information drought on game 2, this flashpoint 2 could look to be a real arma killer IMO.

i always dont bring too much hope on a new game press release cause for most of the time, what they say in the press release always didnt match on all the hype creat(which is what its like in this topic, pure hype)

ArmA have the same hype when it is started, then when it comes out ppl whine about the game not being what they expected it is and failing to see that it is themself who put too much balls onto the game based on the hype.(as a side note, i am not disapointed by ArmA from ground off, not because of i ignore the bugs, but because i expect them to happen, and the fact that my PC are more then happy to run the game)

You are disappointed because you created the disappointment.

i like to play good game, but i hate that a good game being trashed because ppl misleading it, so sorry if i sounds like a fanboy or "non-believers" of sort, but i would stand my point, that such a hype is not needed.

i

ArmA have the same hype when it is started, then when it comes out ppl whine about the game not being what they expected it is and failing to see that it is themself who put too much balls onto the game based on the hype.

This happens with every game, every game! There is always people that seem to stretch their imagination on what games can do or want it modified to suit their particular way of playing. Doesnt matter what genre we are speaking of, there will never be a game people wont critice or say its sucks for whatever reason(one being their own computer suck and cant play the game.)

OFP2 wont probably either be the "new religion" or miracle people want, but hopefully it will live up to its name in a fairly good way. Its really to early to say definitive anything about the game but it would be a waste if a 150 team of people would drag this into a BF copy-cat, Im having a hard time believing that. Lets see what happens at the Leipzig Games Convention, its soon right?

ARMA with its modding possibilites has a long future, we havent seen anything yet. But im still waiting for news about good mods, just like the big ones for OFP. Proper moddingtools not yet released?! Is this true?

We just need to wait a litll end see the game,then talk about OFP2 tounge2.gif

i think you would be wrong there, look at the early arma pics they looked like a VBS1 on drugs then it changed to the VR2 engine which was orgianal game 2 theres posts and thingd about it somewhere.. bit too drunk to find out atm

ArmA is using the old OFP engine.

Game 2's engine has dynamic building destruction.

ArmA is still that VBS1 engine on crack.

edit: Read my lips: ArmA is using the old OFP engine.

ArmA is using the old OFP engine.

Game 2's engine has dynamic building destruction.

ArmA is still that VBS1 engine on crack.

edit: Read my lips: ArmA is using the old OFP engine.

i think that would be even more misleading......

OFP and VBS1 uses the same engine, sure as hell

while ArmA is not using the old OFP engine, instead they used the XBOX elite as base, and completely rewrite it for ArmA, yes they share some of the aspects and they have many things being identical, but they are in a completely different GENERATION, far too many example like cryengine, Unreal, Qurak(typo?), etc

I don't know who started idea that ArmA is on GAME2 engine.

ArmA is on the latest version of OFP1 engine (updates from VBS1, XBOX edition etc.) - (Poseidon I).

GAME2 is on completly new engine - Poseidon II.

Don't wrong these two things.

Guest Ti0n3r

ArmA uses Real Virtuality 2 engine. OFP uses Real Virtuality 1 engine. Enough said.

Game 2 = Real Virtuality 3? wink_o.gif

ArmA uses Real Virtuality 2 engine. OFP uses Real Virtuality 1 engine. Enough said.

Game 2 =  Real Virtuality 3? wink_o.gif

But then whats the OFP:E engine called? <s>Poseidon</s> Real Virtuality 1.5?

well the engine used in DIRT looks really impressive (thanks to physics)

so ... i may change my mind that there is chance OFP2 will be good game for "masses" ...

question remains what happen if marketing department start demand "clone BFxxxx"

Whats the point with the engine talking in here?

Yeah Arma uses a new version of the BIS poseidon/virtuality engine, is this a bad thing or something?

Future BIS games should likely use future versions of this same engine too. They might upgrade it to DX10 api, rebuild the a.i., rebuild the physics, rebuild the damage model, introduce new features and functions, etc.

Just like Unreal, UE2, UE3... or even Cry engine, do you think that the crytek programers completely dumped the old far cry engine and build cry engine 2 from scratch?

_!

While i agree that competition is a good thing i must say that its regretable that CM is using the OPF name since they are very likely to imitate BI's original design and game features.

Im not going to coment alot since i only read a few lines of text and saw an "enhanced" picture of CM's early work.

For me Arma is the real Operation Flashpoint sequel and codies OPF2 is just something else (an imitation).

Soldier on the right is holding a M4 or M16 soldier on the left is holding a SCAR.

STGN

Yes, that's what I said smile_o.gif

Whats the point with the engine talking in here?

Yeah Arma uses a new version of the BIS poseidon/virtuality engine, is this a bad thing or something?

Future BIS games should likely use future versions of this same engine too. They might upgrade it to DX10 api, rebuild the a.i., rebuild the physics, rebuild the damage model, introduce new features and functions, etc.

Just like Unreal, UE2, UE3... or even Cry engine, do you think that the crytek programers completely dumped the old far cry engine and build cry engine 2 from scratch?

_!

While i agree that competition is a good thing i must say that its regretable that CM is using the OPF name since they are very likely to imitate BI's original design and game features.

Im not going to coment alot since i only read a few lines of text and saw an "enhanced" picture of CM's early work.

For me Arma is the real Operation Flashpoint sequel and codies OPF2 is just something else (an imitation).

+5. Good post.

Game 2 =  Real Virtuality 3? wink_o.gif

ArmA uses Real Virtuality 1. Stop spreading horseshit.

Guest Ti0n3r

No need to flame me.

Actually, if you did some research and knew what you were talking about, you'd know that ArmA and VBS2 use Real Virtuality 2, where OFP and VBS1 use Real Virtuality 1.

If you want proof, then read slide 20 of the VBS2 Capabilities presentation, which is publically available on the VBS2 site features page.

Moral of the story - know your facts before calling BS/HS. smile_o.gif